A Regal Time with Florence the Zebra: Canada/New England Oct. 17-24

bluenoser2

Now it was time to explore in earnest. We clutched our little stamp cards for the treasure hunt and found all the places to get them stamped. We were especially excited to avoid the spa tour when we got that stamp because it was a painfully long experience for the men in our group last summer when they were forced to go through the whole thing in order to get their little stamp on the Royal. The spa attendant was very nice and just asked “have you used the spa before”. “No.” “Why not?” “I’m just not into that kind of thing.” (Remember that.) Florence however was looking past her longingly, in hopes that someone might specialize in zebra makeovers.

IMG_3721_zpszawlvdzi.jpg

We toured the sports decks, played 9 holes of weird little golf, shot a few hoops at the basketball net, Florence played foosball, and we opted not to play table tennis because of the strong wind afoot. We also inspected the gym for the first and last time of the cruise. Someday…..we’re just too intimidated by it for now. Remember…small town….in the sticks……

IMG_3726_zpsf406trwt.jpg

IMG_3728_zps3rftsfge.jpg

A little tea, a little lemonade, and then time for muster drill. I don’t know if we have just usually been in less congested areas of the ship but I’m just going to go on record as saying NOTHING brings out the ugly in people like trying to get themselves and their lifejackets up the stairs after the drill. It was like nasty bumper cars trying to get back to the safety of our room. (Insert your own comments about no central staircase here if you must – the bumper-jacket people did….)

IMG_3730_zpsn0s4g6ly.jpg

I must say though, that was the ONLY time we had any competition on the stairs this trip. Our policy is to NEVER EVER use the elevators on board and we made good on that promise to ourselves on this trip. Not a single elevator ride. That trek from deck 5 to 16 is a killer though. Fortunately there is sustenance at both ends.

Time to don the warm jackets, and head up top for sailaway. Yup, let it be known that we were still in the USA and it was COLD. Cold and windy. So, remembering a trick from our California Coastal cruise, we opted to see the sights LAST, instead of first, and went aft where it was less breezy and less crowded. I really don’t mind if I’m the last person to go by the Statue of Liberty. I’m just not a competitive type.

IMG_7795_zpsw2muouee.jpg

As the skyline of New York began to recede into the distance, we returned inside to change for dinner, which we had in the Symphony dining room, as we were People of the Anytime Dining. We’re usually not real picky about where we are seated, but after the first night we did make sure to request anything but table 18, which is great for watching EVERYONE come into the dining room, but there was nothing intimate about it. I only choked a couple of times as various members of the Red Hat Society came in – once I got used to them I was fine. DH only likes tables for two when it’s the two of us (sometimes he likes tables for two when we have our family with us, but he doesn’t get them….) so that’s how we did it. Some day we may get up the nerve to actually try making reservations, but this trip, as we never actually came across any servers that were stellar (all were efficient – mostly – but nothing memorable – to which our kids would say, “see! You needed us with you to get the good servers….”).

Oh, the spring rolls….yummmmmmmm. Best part of the meal. Second best? The chocolate hazelnut soufflé. Second best because I burnt my tongue on the first taste (as I always do). DH loves to have skim milk with any chocolate dessert, but it never arrived. Pretty slow service that time.

We rushed off for the 7:15 welcome aboard show in the Princess Theatre knowing we would never be awake to make the later show. The singers/dancers did one number, and then Martyn Moss CD did his shtick which I understand some don’t appreciate, but look – put a guy in a suit and give him a British/Welsh accent and I’m good to go. So whether his humour is appreciated or not by others, we enjoy him. The magician, Michael Barron, also easy to look at, was good but his tricks were so small and weren’t being projected on the screen that from the back where we were the amazement was lost on us.

The earlier scent of pizza wafting across the Lido deck drew us back up to Deck 16 where we enjoyed a little slice (and by little I mean large) before heading back to the room to begin watching a movie before giving up to sleep. Or at least lights out. I was hoping for some gentle rocking and rolling of the ship to lull me to sleep but I ended up taking a gravol just to make me sleepy because there was virtually no movement and sleep took it’s time coming to me that night.

A quick note about the tvs in the room. (I heard that. I heard you saying that in my review there is no such thing as a quick anything.) They’re nice and large, and if the selection of channels isn’t what it is on land, and that’s important to the traveller, then maybe a land vacation is a better choice. We didn’t care – and MLB was on every game – not that we enjoyed that once the Jays lost. We did enjoy the on demand movies as there were several we hadn’t seen yet and it was nice to be able to just watch a little and then pick it up the next night from the point where we fell asleep the day before.

IMG_3732_zps4y6nwzip.jpg

(I thought the string quartet Allegria was very good - DH took pics of them, Florence asked for pics of their shoes......I don't need to post those.)

Sea day! The day when the cruising world languishes in bed and enjoys that first day of total getaway. Yup, you guessed it - DH was up for his walk at the crack of seven, and I, diligent, dutiful, and deranged Good Wife that I am, raced off to the laundry room to iron all things needing ironing. I certainly was NOT going to spend the “real” part of my day in that room. I had no competition for irons at that time of the morning, and lo and behold, in a few minutes all my chores for the week were done.

We chose to go to the Concerto dining room for breakfast that morning – the only morning we did so. I loved the melon cocktail with lime. As for the rest, we decided it would be considerably more fun to try the buffet for our next meal. Oh, and the chocolate pastries. Did I mention that chocolate croissant? Sigh. That’s Princess for me. Once I’ve had one of those little delicacies I’m really cruisin’.

IMG_7760_zpst768zkyo.jpg

just looking today, but tomorrow....the International Cafe adventure begins.

After some actual relaxing, no ironing of shirts involved, we moseyed down to the Piazza to await the treasure hunt raffle. We had lovely comfortable seats that were behind the fruit and vegetable carving demo so I’m afraid for those of you who were anxiously awaiting photos of those, well, you can go back to one of my earlier reviews (posted at the bottom of my signature for your convenience….) for those. We’ve had enough of fruit and vegetable animals.

On with the raffle, and on to the last prize – a full massage or facial from the spa. Guess who won. Yup. That’d be me, the “I never go to the spa” girl. Oh the irony. We realized at this point, that we “always” win prizes if our kids are NOT with us……hmmmmm….every cruise we’ve gone on that’s just been the two of us, the DH wins something. This time was my first time to win.

We visited the new EFFY store where I got my teeny weeny free necklace (choosing not to upgrade to the larger setting with earrings for $10) – good enough for a souvenir for someone…..and walked through the sale in the dining room. We weren’t even tempted there. However, we were amused by the number of people buying warm jackets and toques (see how Canadian I am? Toques?) for the upcoming Canadian ports. Of course, the hats said “BALTIC” on them and the jackets were from Ketchikan or just generally Alaska…..there were brisk sales on gloves as well.

We set up our Platinum minutes for internet use. I had not realized that we each got 150 minutes (I don’t know why that had escaped me in all my “what’s in it for me” research, but it had, so it was a delightful surprise.) We were both able to access DH’s minutes first from our respective toys, and when those minutes ran out, we then activated my minutes. And those minutes were enough. Enough to check in with the kids. Enough to tell them that we couldn’t possibly be online all the time because of the time limitation we had. And the internet wasn’t too bad – there were a couple of times it was pretty slow, but all in all we were very happy with this platinum perk.

After lunch in Horizon Court, where I, righteous eater that I am, was able to have salad, and a vegetable burrito, AND only 1 ½ desserts today. After testing the outdoor temperature, which was just plain cold, I decided to do my walking of laps indoors. So I logged over 2km just walking down hallways. I liked Marina deck because it goes all the way around. But mostly I entertained myself with stairs and the lower levels that have more to amuse me while I walk, and do the obstacle course that is people not interested in a brisk walk. I was polite. Just know that. Never impatient.

Princess Live! was hosting a Chocolate Love demonstration, so we went early to make sure we obtained seats for that. We were there to witness the greatest disaster of our time – the chocolate fondue fountain’s table was not secure and the whole thing tumbled to the floor. Chocolate sauce and all. It was tragic. The shrieks of despair from the audience, the tears, the woebegone looks of the crew that had to quickly clean it up. I’ll not forget the travesty for many a day. And that was all before the show even started.

IMG_7800_zpsvphvz604.jpg

After a brisk, and by brisk I mean frigid, walk outside, we returned to the shelter of Horizon for my own little teatime – scones and apricot jam, while DH had his cookie and lemonade. All that intense activity resulted in a little movie watching in the room before getting dolled up for formal night. For the first time in the history of our cruising, we did not stop for pictures anywhere. No! We were not tempted by the staircase. No! Not the autumn foliage backdrop! We put our blinders on and headed straight to the dining room, where we were seated right by a window at our request. So relaxing. We enjoyed the “50th Anniversary Dinner” with a great salad, blueberry sorbet and beef tournado with roasted onion tart. We could have been happy with just the onion tart which was great, but when they actually got DH’s beef “well done” (without any eye rolling or looks of distaste) AND he got his skim milk with his Chocolate Love dessert….well, let’s just say the angels rejoiced along with him and all was well with the world. We were out of the dining room and in the piazza to enjoy the vocal stylings of the group Rhapsody.

IMG_7807_zpsd7ovewyf.jpg

They had soul, and I really enjoyed them – though I did get the giggles when they started into Achy Breaky Heart….then I knew it was time to leave. But not before sampling the Truffle Pops and champagne that were being handed out whilst the champagne waterfall was underway. Sigh.

IMG_7819_zpsleqysrr3.jpg

We headed over to Princess Theater 30 minutes before showtime for “Spectacular”. We scored aisle seats at that time, but 15 minutes later, people were getting single seats scattered about the auditorium, and the place was packed for the early show. I thought it was a good show and it must have been, because DH managed to stay fully awake for it. My favourite was the 2 female vocalists singing one of the songs from SMASH – gets me every time, and I get all weepy. I got over that when the cast moved into a rendition of Barry Manilow’s Bandstand Boogie – and I felt my face burning with embarrassment that I still, after all these years, knew every single lyric to the song.

Back to the room to finish McFarlane the movie – sigh, Kevin Costner, AND chocolate truffles in the same day? Does it get any better?

IMG_7808_zpsevzgwqur.jpg

Here was my favourite singer of this cruise - the first time I heard him, he was singing a song I have never liked - Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi - and I loved it! Colin Salter.

IMG_7966_zpslp9y43aq.jpg

And just because it's kind of cool......(and because one of my favourite activities was to watch and see anyone using the sea walk for the first time)

IMG_7954_zpsjyghow9o.jpg

He's pretty artsy in his photography isn't he? Notice the age-old problem of the chair hogs below......

IMG_7943_zpsbjwfwj73.jpg

And of course, we must have a little of this kind of photography included in a photo review!

IMG_7803_zpsaewmtsa7.jpg

Marla, besides thoroughly enjoying your wonderful writing style, I am booked on Regal in March in a sideways Baja room, and can't wait to hear more details about the room. Also, appreciate the tip about the rooms not being ready. Have night before in FL where I will stuff contents of carry-on into suitcase. One more coincidence, I have had that same pink duct tape on my suitcase for years. It has been to China, Russia, and Egypt and other places and never started peeling off. Tell Florence to keep photo bombing. we are all enjoying it.

Carolyn in Texas

In the “Things I Never Thought I’d Hear a Cruise Director Say” department, was the ominous phrase Martyn uttered the evening before, “They’re predicting 2 inches of snow in our port tomorrow.”

I thought – well, of course – because the rest of October has been shirt-sleeve kinda weather, but NOW, NOW when we come to visit on a cruise ship, the temps drop to frigidity. Halifax is like our hometown – it isn’t actually our home town....for any of us – our research shows Florence is from China, and I’m from British Columbia and DH is from New Brunswick, but we LOVE Halifax, and lived there for 10 years, and even now that we live a couple of hours drive away, we come back every couple of weeks for some excuse or another (“honey – we need milk!” “Well, we’d better schedule a trip into Halifax” - that kind of excuse).

So it was that we had determined in advance that we would NOT do anything in Halifax that we usually do – no errands, no visiting people we know (though a dear friend did offer to bring her car down to the port so we could use it if we wished), and certainly no buying of milk. Earlier in the summer when we had been in the city for appointments, I had been craning my neck in the car trying to see what the new building we had just passed was, when DH, normally a quiet mild-mannered Clark Kent of a guy, YELLED “NO! Don’t look. DO NOT LOOK. “ I practically choked on my Tim Horton’s tea and was ready to call for assistance, not knowing what had happened to my sweet hubby, when he returned to his usual calm self and explained, “That’s for October when we come on the ship.”

While everyone else was lining up to go on their early tours at 7:00 a.m., I snuck down to the International Café to scoff an apple donut for First Breakfast. I considered the “cronut” but couldn’t quite work up the nerve. Or desire. I was able to gulp the apple donut down and be back in my room before DH was even out of the shower. Evidence hidden, I hope. Well, there may have been a sugar crumb or two on my chin. Well, HE gets to have a First Breakfast so why can’t I? We don’t HAVE to mention that his first breakfast is All Bran and yogurt……do we?

So, after a wee bit, we went up to the buffet for a leisurely Second Breakfast – and if I hadn’t known I was in Halifax it would have taken me a long time to determine what city I was in – it really looks different from that angle. After 9:00 a.m., when the ship was virtually deserted, we headed out, having bundled up in all our layers, and yes, gloves, to see what we could see. We ambled (as much as one is able to amble when the wind is blowing briskly) through some of the downtown streets we hadn’t bothered to see for many years,

IMG_3747_zps0cmnvu4w.jpg

and went to the brand new library (the source of last paragraph’s confusion) to check it out.

IMG_3742_zpszhl3c93v.jpg

We even visited the Anglican Church that still had a piece of shrapnel from the Halifax Explosion of 1917.

IMG_3749_zpsp3iob5pl.jpg

My bucket list for Halifax had included procuring a Beavertail because whenever we’ve been at the harbour I’ve never bothered getting something for just me.

IMG_3750_zps7ape2qtr.jpg

Alas, the Beavertail hut was closed, so we trudged back to the ship for lunch, and I comforted myself by remembering to stop at the International Café for some of that yummy chicken cashew salad that I forgot to get while they still had it last year aboard the Royal.

IMG_3754_zpszke2c6nt.jpg

I took it up top with me so that DH could have his burger from the grill. After a bit of a siesta, DH headed up for some sun (!) and reading (brrrrrr….) and ice cream (double brrrrr….) and I headed to the spa (wow, there’s something I never thought I’d be writing ) for my prize massage. While nice, it wasn’t life changing for me, but I was happy for the opportunity. I was also appreciative of the fact that once she saw my feet were cold, she let me in on the secret that there was a $600 treatment I could utilize to help that. I chose socks instead.

(to be continued......)

By the time I was finished being Swedishmassage-inized, the ship had already left port and I caught a little of what was left of our departure from the Halifax area in the secret little place DH had found on deck 17 or maybe it was 18. (I’m not telling, because it’s our secret – insert evil laughter here.) Protected from the wind, it actually was very warm there and it became our favourite spot for checking out the views.

This was my night to have a traditional Princess dinner – I think the only thing I missed was the Caesar salad. There was the shrimp cocktail and a salad (it had pine nuts and Asiago cheese in it, so it won over the Caesar), fettuccine Alfredo and the love boat dream. And here is the interactive part of the review again – pay attention….those of you who like the love boat dream, have you found it to be different on different ships? Once I taste it, I can’t remember what the last one tasted like, but I’d be very interested to hear everyone’s descriptions of what they have experienced. This is it – your chance for a gold star!

DH got HIS free gift now from the EFFY shop (he would be celebrating a birthday while on the cruise) and lucky him – it was the upgraded version of the free necklace I had got the day before. (With earrings! Happy Birthday indeed!) We purchased our obligatory ship magnet (though I didn’t like any of the new versions much) and then journeyed to Princess Theater to get our seats – again, 30 minutes ahead seemed to be the secret for this cruise to getting seats together where we wanted them (on the aisle). Anything later, and, well, I’ve never seen a theatre pack out as much as on this cruise – of course, it wasn’t like it was warm enough to experience MUTS though I did see a few brave souls occasionally attempting it – at least I think they were brave souls, or else just big lumps of blankets with a popcorn bag on top.

Tonight’s performance was Chris Watkins “Fireworks on Four Strings” – we had seen him last year as well, and thought he was better this time. A little less eye makeup this year, and he was very entertaining. Found our late night snack in horizon court before retiring to our room with it to watch “Spy”, concurrently with the Bluejays game, and Canada’s federal election results (online – we did not expect that Princess would be covering that!) .

P.S. There was no snow. No cloud. Perfectly sunny all day. Here are a few more Halifax pics to prove it.

IMG_7896_zpssvpayegx.jpg

(It's kind of turning into a "Where's Florence" game at this point......

(DH is getting really artsy with his photography....)

IMG_7903_zpspafxrukv.jpg

This is a sculpture, not an accident. A humorous depiction of what life on Halifax streets could be like at some point of the day....one lamp post has fallen down drunk while another looks on with concern. The one in the background usually has a fountain in the summer...I'll let you guess what "he" is doing.

IMG_7905_zpshygawjje.jpg

Halifax's immigrant sculpture.....quite a difference from the one depicting the same that we saw in New York. This is close to Pier 21, the museum of immigration where over 1 million people passed through, which we still haven't visited - I suppose we'll have to take ANOTHER cruise!

IMG_7909_zpsqobwiiml.jpg

IMG_7895_zpshpcovnfc.jpg

(I tried...only 3 keys worked - too bad....hard to play with gloves on anyway)

Another typically energy-charged and exhilarating start to the day….yes, you guessed it….Laundry Time. Again, not wanting to waste precious “real” minutes, we had our laundry in the machine by 7:30 and the total cost of wash and dry - $6.00 for anyone who wants to know. We let it dry while we breakfasted in Horizon. (Yes, we were back before it was done – we’re like that –conscientious, polite….the Canadian way.)

So by 9:00 a.m. we were totally ready to greet the “real” day, and off we went, escaping yet another strangely dressed photo studio employee and ensuing picture. Today dawned warmer than Halifax, but still with a brisk wind encouraging me to make use of my gloves again. In both Halifax and Saint John, since these are our homeys, we didn’t stray far from the port; we’ve been to all the typical Places of the Tour, but instead chose to walk the downtown areas that we don’t get to very often. We have a cottage near Saint John, and DH lived in the city as a lad…..which brings me to my next “Things I Never Thought I’d Hear Said on a Cruise” item: “Hey, honey, if we walk up this way I can show you where my dentist’s office used to be…..”

So we entered Barbour’s General Store, right near the port and a quaint little museumesque building that has been moved at least 3 or 4 times before ending up in its current location. Discovering a photo op possibility for Florence, we set her on the park bench and stepped back to take a shot, whereupon two concerned passersby noticed little Flo and started looking wildly about for the sad toddler who must have lost her. We had to muster up all of our assertiveness and with a stern “Step away from the zebra”, we struggled to convince them that she was OUR little pet. I don’t think they were convinced. Then we had had to wait several minutes while they stood in the way of our viewfinder, ostensibly deciding where they wanted to go (I think they were actually secretly trying to determine how to make off with Florence…..).

IMG_3759_zpspaw6epe2.jpg

Into the warmth of the mall we trod, for restroom breaks and to use the Wi-Fi to check the Federal election results, and confirm that we did indeed have a new Prime Minister. After strolling along the side streets and poking into the City Market and the Freak Lunch Box, we took a walk on the wild side. Which is to say we walked up to Fort Howe on the hilltop overlooking Saint John.

IMG_7995_zpso8ua3qg7.jpg

(Nothing says Canada like beaver sculpture in the park.....)

IMG_7998_zpspvtqgtja.jpg

(Saint John City Market)

IMG_3769_zpsxncdz1qv.jpg

IMG_3770_zpsm4xufc90.jpg

Florence is a little worried about the direction this day is taking.

Have I mentioned yet how Saint Johnians really appreciate the correct spelling of their city’s name? Do your best to resist the temptation to abbreviate by writing St. John, or worse, saying St. John’s – as that is the capital city of another province.

I digress. We enjoyed the views from above – a little sun would have been nice, but hey, there was no snow so who could complain. While up there we were greeted by a local couple who had driven up to catch the view as well – of the Regal Princess! They welcomed us to their fair city – and then found out where we were from, and after the eye rolls and astounded looks, we had a lovely conversation with them. We logged plenty of kilometres on the pedometer that day, and still had energy to enjoy a walk along the boardwalk and critique the condos along the way.

And here is the interactive part of the review again – pay attention….those of you who like the love boat dream, have you found it to be different on different ships? Once I taste it, I can’t remember what the last one tasted like, but I’d be very interested to hear everyone’s descriptions of what they have experienced. This is it – your chance for a gold star!

The LBD is not what it used to be.

o It no longer has the crunchy bottom. Instead is has soft cake.

o It is no longer has the almost overwhelming rich chocolate taste with the main part being almost like chocolate pudding in taste.

o It no longer comes with a Godiva chocolate on top with the image of the sea witch.

See below for a picture of what it used to look like.

557950221_03611_18.02LoveBoatDreamandcarrotcakePb180019a.jpg.b56ac148d022df216439f4d4784f6ad6.jpg

The LBD is not what it used to be.

o It no longer has the crunchy bottom. Instead is has soft cake.

o It is no longer has the almost overwhelming rich chocolate taste with the main part being almost like chocolate pudding in taste.

o It no longer comes with a Godiva chocolate on top with the image of the sea witch.

See below for a picture of what it used to look like.

LOL!! I wondered what a "Little Black Dress" had to do with a Princess dessert!:D

Then I realized it was Love Boat Dream - I have to agree - it's not what it used to be! I've been able to avoid having more than 1 or 2 on a 10-day cruise.

Yes, me too! I was wondering how Caribill knew I was wearing my LBD that night! (I checked the spreadsheet to see.....)

I'm glad to know I wasn't just imagining things. And MustangGT, you're right - I only "need" to have it once a cruise now.

Well, I'll be back in a few minutes with the next installment.

IMG_8027_zpsm24koawi.jpg

Lo and behold, there it was. A Beavertail hut. Open for business. Ironically, just a few hundred feet from the ship. Where, as we all know, there is no food at all. On the ship. (Sarcastic wink.) Would we stop? Would we succumb? Of course we would. We asked for the server’s recommendation and chose the cinnamon sugar Beavertail as it was the easiest to eat and the best seller, according to him. Was it all I hoped for? My expectations weren’t that high, but it was tasty and warm…mmmmmm. I’ve done it now and can lay that longing to rest. I may fall to its temptation again in the future, but there’s no pressure anymore.

IMG_3775_zpsemdmwy4e.jpg

With that lunchtime appetizer out of the way, we got cheeseburgers at the Trident Grill and I got DH a piece of pizza, all the while trying to memorize how they are able to push and pull their pizza dough into a perfect circle with so little effort. My pizza is good mind you, but it never seems so effortless. Of course, I don’t make as many as they do in a day, every day.

From there I took my book to deck 7 to read and people watch. DH attempted to watch a movie, but after ½ hour realized he had indeed slept through that ½ hour and had to start all over. The sun had made its appearance by now, so we went up top to catch the departure, and were entertained by a lone bagpiper who performed an eclectic repertoire for almost an hour as we were taking a rather long time to depart. I know I live in “New Scotland” and all, but there’s a place and a time for bagpipes – the place is always far enough away from me that I can choose whether or not to listen, and the time is, well, less than an hour.

IMG_8063_zps7v5t3cxm.jpg

However, eventually we heaved ho, and after watching the big turn-around of the ship (I believe there is a more technical name for that action, but I rather like Big Turn-Around – feel free to correct, and enlighten me) we went and got a pre-appetizer…er… appetizer before heading to an earlier than early production show of “Fiera”. Since there were so many people trying to make it to the early shows this cruise, they were attempting to appease the late seating guests by going with two earlier than normal shows. We got there by 6:45 for the 7:15 performance, and there were already quite a number of people there, but I think there were a very few empty seats left by lights out. It was a very good show. DH only dozed off once, no twice. Still pretty good for him. Those Sudokus and brain teasers they have in the library every day come in handy to use while waiting for the show. So does an I-pad, as we noticed many of the early birds utilizing.

We decided to try the Concerto dining room tonight, and got that busy front section again that we’re not really fond of. Again, no stellar servers in this dining room either, and we didn’t feel that they were super attentive to any table, including ours, that was there at that time. However, it WAS the evening for the twice baked goat cheese soufflé – which I love. And it was good. Very good. So were the scallops in a citrus-wine sauce. Late dinner for us meant very sleepy eyes, which meant some very unsuccessful movie watching in the room to end the day.

IMG_8066_zpsu9kydk7e.jpg

Another back and forth time change during the night meant DH and I were up brighter and earlier than the rest of the world again. DH walked, I showered. Then DH showered while I hightailed it to the IC and summoning up all my nerve, nervously pointed to the “cross-nut” in the window. (Deep fried Croissant for those of you who have yet to meet one – as if a croissant needed any more fat.) Carrying it reverently and guiltily, yet guarding it from more than one passenger and crew member who enviously eyed my prize, I took it to Florence for her approval. We each tried a snitch of it (well, not Florence, she’s on some weird diet) and declared it to be…..underwhelming. So much for the big DH birthday breakfast surprise.

IMG_3776_zpsguqeruov.jpg

Early breakfast then instead, or in addition to I suppose (You don’t have to count the calories if you don’t particular like it right?), and then immigration something or other where we stood in line, shuffled to Club 6, and showed our passports to the authority. All I got was a plain yellow dollar store circle sticker on my cruise card to show for it. (Had Florence and I been responsible, everyone would have gotten gold stars.) Again, lineups make for Crankys. We should really have brought Florence with us to mellow them out. No one should have to start the day that early and that grumpy. The line did move quickly and efficiently, and if one weren’t in any rush, waiting until 7:30 would result in no line at all.

That done, we waited in our room to allow the early departures some space, and then, thinking that as we had arranged a tour outside of the Princess realm, we might have to wait longer for a tender to transport us to the port, we headed down to the dining room meeting place at 8:00. We were given our tender tickets and realized we were the only humans (and zebra) in the place. More gathered, and the only wait was the fact that we had just missed the previous tender.

Once on land, we headed for Testa’s restaurant to pick up our tickets for the Acadia Park tour we had booked online some time ago. As mentioned earlier, it was DH’s birthday. We knew that, but we are still trying to ascertain how the tour people also knew that. I don’t remember mentioning it when I booked the tour online, but when we walked up, the owner looked at DH and said, “Happy Birthday!” and we were only required to pay for my ticket. Score.

(see her? Florence? She was a little shy in Maine)

IMG_3778_zpsyhfsbl5y.jpg

IMG_3777_zpsne1ejt05.jpg

If you can focus on the ice cream names, see if you can find out why I took the picture.....one out of three of my kids that looked at this picture got it.....

IMG_3779_zpszz8fc2ct.jpg

(No she wasn't in trouble with the law, just delighted that she had found a vehicle that matched her right down to her jaunty yellow ribbon.)

IMG_3780_zpsfzhzon4p.jpg

Our tour guide Mike was hilarious and kept us well informed and totally entertained for the 3 hours we were in his company. It was a beautiful day for seeing the scenery, and a most enjoyable tour. I have to say that the fall leaves were not spectacular this year, or in this area, but that’s all the luck of the draw isn’t it?

IMG_8083%20-%20Copy_zps8amq3lkz.jpg

stay tuned for more of Florence in Bar Harbor......

IMG_8151_zpsza6j0h4v.jpg

(funny how cruisers love to cruise, and love to go to ports, and while in ports take pictures of the ship they're on....well, not on at the moment, but you know what I mean....)

IMG_8081_zpswnibnnye.jpg

We enjoyed just walking the streets of Bar Harbor before and after the tour, and once I had bought DH some fudge for his birthday (abashedly having to ask him for the U.S. funds to pay for it upon realizing I had neither money nor credit card on me) we called it a day and headed back to the ship.

IMG_8088_zpsaycsaszr.jpg

(the things we put poor Florence through.....)

On our way, we overheard a fellow cruiser talking to others in that group, wondering “so, do we just find a place to sit now until 5:00 when the tender comes back to pick us up?” Some confusion seemed to raise its head for a moment, until one other in the group said, “Uh, I think they said the LAST tender leaves at 5:00, not the only tender……”

IMG_8093_zpsxblqozm7.jpg

IMG_8156_zpsemdn86wy.jpg

Back on the ship, there was a burger for DH, and pizza and salad for me, and a very nice chocolate cheesecake for dessert. After that, we parted ways for some “me-time” – of course that meant he left for parts above and in the sun, and I went to the library, “to get a book”, or was that cookies and milk? Well, milk, cookies and reading always go together, I’m sure. A little baseball watching in the room before an excellent dinner, followed by more baseball, and finally the comedian Darrell Joyce who we found very funny and “clean”.

A birthday being celebrated was enough excuse to go back up to Horizon Court to check out what “birthday cake” might be available, and wonder of wonders, our very favourite Sacher Torte was available that night only! Whether Princess makes this cake as well as the Sacher Hotel in Vienna where we first had it is not the point, it is simply a tradition for us to have it whenever possible. Since the ban on “naked flames” was obviously going to curtail our candle on the cake event, DH stuck a straw in his cake and I quietly sang to him. He didn’t want a fuss made. On that note, just a mention, that while the Effy store recognized his birthday, and our steward had the obligatory balloons and birthday poster on our door (which made it quite easy to find!), we never received a card for the dining room, which suited DH fine – he had specifically requested that I not arrange any amusedly out of key waiters sing Happy Birthday to him.

NB: Our stealth steward Jefferson – the uncanny ability to sneak in un-noticed whenever we were out of our room, leaving it spotless. We hardly ever saw him, except to hear him greet us by name somewhere in the background, as we walked down the long hallway! Speaking of long hallway – let me just say we really liked the location of our inside – midship Baja. It was only 2 rooms away from the elevators (not noticed at all in sound – we never heard ANYTHING from our room at any time) for those of you interested that actually USE elevators! For us, who only use stairs, it was a great opportunity to clock more mileage, AND enjoy all the Princess Photo Contest winning photographs in the hallway along the way. (“Been there”, “I remember that…”, “Ooooh, need to go there…”) I really appreciate that little perk on the Royal and Regal. So if Princess is wondering if any of us notice those pictures, we do! We do! (jumping up and down zebra.)

Nice pictures. We saw two of the places that we have stayed at in the past in Bar Harbor. Thanks for the memories.

Also, we always wanted to take the Bluenose Ferry up to Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor before the service was discontinued. Never got around to it as we were always on a time crunch to get up north to visit DW's family.

Enjoying the review. Looks like a cruise we need to add to our list! :cool:

BTW, dittos to the pictures on the Regal. We tried, but, still did not see them all.

Edited by ar1950

There’s a song with a lyric, “…and I’ve never been to Boston in the fall….”

Oh, I know you want to hear and see it, and I’m reasonably sure most of you don’t know it, so here,for your listening pleasure, may I present “The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything”.

Back already? OK, on we go.

All that so we can now say that we have indeed been to Boston in the fall.

It’s a good thing this cruise was only 7 days long – sneaking down to the IC was becoming a disturbing habit of mine. I did it again today, only to find that the apple donut of my dreams was not there at that particular time on that particular day. I suffered in silence, and trudged away with my cinnamon sugar donut instead. (“I’ll get you the biggest one!” said the IC server. Gee thanks.)

A mild day, we went up top to look at the surroundings in the Boston port, and watched plane after plane take off, and one smaller ship enter our harbour.

IMG_8159_zpslxwakmvr.jpg

We had no hard and fast plans for our Boston day, so after checking in with the Princess Shuttle attendant outside the ship, we opted to walk into town after being assured that it was a safe 2 mile walk. It was. We would rather walk on a fine day than drive, and for $15 each, round trip on the shuttle, I felt that we could grab a taxi for less if the tootsies didn’t feel like walking back.

It was an easy walk, lots of Dunkin’ Donuts along the way (note, we did not stop at any of them, I’m just sayin’).

IMG_8205_zpsggiyosoy.jpg

After a washroom break and a check of the map to ascertain our whereabouts, DH headed us off on a little walking tour of the Freedom Trail. We’ve done some of this on other trips to Boston, but I don’t think I noticed the little brick pathway inset in the sidewalk that denotes it. And here all these other years I just thought DH was so smart (and handsome, smart AND handsome…..hope you’re reading this honey…). Well, he IS smart, but setting off on the brownish brick road was fun too – and I could whistle songs from The Wizard of Oz along the way.

IMG_3795_zps6xzgkbgq.jpg

He plundered (sorry, still have the pirate song in my head) an acorn for me from the oak tree near Paul Revere’s gravestone to give as a souvenir to our DD – who carries on the third generation of women from my side of the family, who need to have something smooth in their jacket pocket to rub. We thought she’d be impressed with its origin. I’m not sure she was.

IMG_3793_zpszfg2uwai.jpg

IMG_3794_zpsmx7jbzsw.jpg

My favourite, and most moving imagery of our walkabout.

back soon......

IMG_8202_zpstumaaya9.jpg

On to Quincy Market for snacks and the most amazing a Capella choir which we just happened upon on the steps outside – brought tears to my eyes (the good kind of tears, not bad bagpipe tears – note I said BAD bagpipe, I like good bagpipe as much as the next person – as long as the next person isn’t DH – he doesn’t like bagpipes, good or bad). Boston Commons for a foot rest and people watching, and a few other stops and sites, and we walked back to the ship a little after noon. 12 kilometres on the ol’ pedometer.

IMG_3791_zpsx4z7jyah.jpg

IMG_8165_zps3xm5sjzb.jpg

IMG_3802_zpspyh9713y.jpg

My favourite overheard quote of the afternoon:

“Let’s just skip HAPPY HOUR tonight. I’d rather just get an ice cream, have a smoke, and get a bucket of beers.” (Where is the unhappy hour in that?)

It was a beautiful day, and we spent loads of time pre-sailaway up top watching planes landing, and taking off next door (we do live on the wild side don’t we?) and as the Regal began to back up out of the harbour (yes, before doing The Big Turn-Around), watched and waved to people on the Crystal Symphony and Grandeur of the Seas. Well, we didn’t actually wave to them. They waved, DH took random shots of people. He’s like that. It’s like a wave.

IMG_8228_zpsoxknhfir.jpg

Formal night tonight, which I’m guessing means more people make reservations, and more people go to the dining room, because when we got there at 5:15 we were actually given a pager. That was a first. We usually didn’t show up until 5:30 and had no problem. However, this evening, we decided to do dinner first, and Captain’s Circle party after, trying to fit in all the things we wanted to do in the evening. There is a skill to scheduling evening activities on board, and perhaps there’s an app for that. Anyway, we were called back at 5:30 because someone hadn’t shown up in time for their reservation (just a warning!) and we got our table for two in the place we liked at the back near the window. Lobster for him, Beef Wellington for me, among other things, and another Love dessert that looked and tasted divine.

IMG_8237_zps3rwxbbib.jpg

We ambled about for a bit to digest, and made our way over to the lineup for the Captain’s Circle party for Platinums and Elites in the Vista Lounge. We were served drinks shortly after being seated, and the band played on. We obviously were not the target audience for the band’s choice of music – it did make me feel youthful though. I would have preferred Rhapsody or Colin Salter, but I’m sure most of the people there loved the oldies performed. Rhapsody might have been too hip, and Colin too laid back and cool. Canapes were served and drinks refilled – not ours though, we were stuffed. They had their trays of “pretty” drinks, but many just ordered what they wanted and got one, two, three, I stopped counting, of whatever they wanted, free of charge. The prizes given out for most travelled – winner was 707 days. I guess we’ve got a LOOOOOONG way to go! We didn’t wait for the draws for champagne, but instead trekked back to the other end of the ship for the magician show. I yawned and fought to stay awake through the show – not the magician’s fault I think, just the effects of all that fresh air and walking during the day. It was straight to our room after that, a feeble attempt at movie watching, which was to no avail, and then…………..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

We are doing this cruise next Oct--

The tender situation makes us nervous for Bal Harbor-- We were thinking of doing a 4 hour tour through one of the cab companies-- but one person reported that for people not taking a Princess excursion, that you have to line up at 7:00 am to then have to get an assigned tender which can be for any time

after the Princess excursions leave? So usually at tender ports we use the cruise ship excursions.

Sounds like you had no problem with this? Could you explain in detail what time your tour was and how you were able to get the tender tickets with no difficulty? Thanks.

We did this last year. Longer tour even. Docking was 7:00am, we arranged with the tour provider to meet us at 9:30 - we went to the tender area at around 8:45 and waited about 15 mins, were at the dock 9:15...

This was on the Royal, so same pax count.

We are doing this cruise next Oct--

The tender situation makes us nervous for Bal Harbor-- We were thinking of doing a 4 hour tour through one of the cab companies-- but one person reported that for people not taking a Princess excursion, that you have to line up at 7:00 am to then have to get an assigned tender which can be for any time

after the Princess excursions leave? So usually at tender ports we use the cruise ship excursions.

Sounds like you had no problem with this? Could you explain in detail what time your tour was and how you were able to get the tender tickets with no difficulty? Thanks.