Does anything ever go UP in quality?

I am heavy hearted at how quickly the Rhapsody OTS is losing its review rating. Today another review cost the Rhapsody another downgrade. I was so happy to book a cruise on her for May 2016. That was five months ago. Today I read that the food is inedible, the cabins are worn and the fourth deck smells. Guess where my cabin is located😳 Can I expect even less by May?

I am heavy hearted at how quickly the Rhapsody OTS is losing its review rating. Today another review cost the Rhapsody another downgrade. I was so happy to book a cruise on her for May 2016. That was five months ago. Today I read that the food is inedible, the cabins are worn and the fourth deck smells. Guess where my cabin is located😳 Can I expect even less by May?

Don't believe EVERYTHING you read. We had heard some bad comments about the Freedom in the past couple of months. Nothing could have been further from the truth. We just returned on Sunday. This was our second trip on the Freedom and we thought that many things had actually IMPROVED - including the food. We were pleasantly surprised in the MDR many times. Appetizers, entrees and desserts were quite tasty. (I'm a chef - so I'm pretty critical - but understand the restrictions of serving 4000 people.) The service was great and our cabin was clean and tidy.

I can't speak of the Rhapsody - but I suggest going in with a positive outlook. Those people complaining MAY have been complaining because of some other life issue. (Or they could be right - but why choose to be negative? :D)

Everything is a matter of one's taste ;)

I haven't been on the Rhapsody in a year, but last September when I went I really enjoyed it.

No, it is not a newer ship in the fleet so I do remember you can see the age (18years old) in some spots, but overall it has been well maintained.

As far as food, that is definitely up to each person to judge - what one person enjoys another may not.

As far as the smell - I don't remember that last year when I was on it, however I don't even remember what deck was on.

People tend to write about negative things than positive things on here (at least from what I have seen over the years). I would go and have a good time! If you are concerned about your room location and you are able to change your cabin to another floor perhaps do that.

Otherwise go and have a great time!

This sounds like when we sailed on Enchantment last year. Our previous Royal sailing had been on the Allure, and that, along with some negative reviews had me second guessing my choice to book this smaller, older ship relegated to cheap cruises to the Bahamas.

Long story short my fears were completely unfounded. We had an absolutely fantastic time and I was actually impressed with the Enchantment. BUT, the most important thing is that you go with REALISTIC expectations. She's after all, an older, smaller ship without all the bells, whistles, dining and entertainment options found on newer ships, and she may not look or smell her best everywhere. If you go with the right expectations you'll enjoy her. I always believe that this is the key to truly enjoying a cruise.

Edited by Tapi

I am heavy hearted at how quickly the Rhapsody OTS is losing its review rating. Today another review cost the Rhapsody another downgrade. I was so happy to book a cruise on her for May 2016. That was five months ago. Today I read that the food is inedible, the cabins are worn and the fourth deck smells. Guess where my cabin is located Can I expect even less by May?
You can worry yourself to death or get on the ship and experience it for yourself. :rolleyes:When I see a review where someone says the food is inedible I totally discount that post due to the fact that it is B.S. and the poster is a whiner and moaner, period. Enjoy your cruise.:cool:

We were on her a month ago, and didn't notice any of that. Food was great, never noticed terrible wear, and no bad smells.

We've read similar reviews of other ships, too, only to find them in great shape.

But if you really want a bad cruise, I'm sure you can arrange that, too.

Guess I should have put my review up there, too- so that more can ignore the positive reviews for the negative ones. Out of 703 reviews, 357 are excellent and 158 are very good. That's 73% are above average, and more than 50% are excellent. Whereas 64 rate it below average- which is less than 10%.

I am heavy hearted at how quickly the Rhapsody OTS is losing its review rating. Today another review cost the Rhapsody another downgrade. I was so happy to book a cruise on her for May 2016. That was five months ago. Today I read that the food is inedible, the cabins are worn and the fourth deck smells. Guess where my cabin is located Can I expect even less by May?

I've read bad reviews of every RCCL ship we've sailed and loved every one of them. RELAX.

I think the ships themselves have gone WAY up in quality.

Our first cruise was the Monarch of the Seas in 1995. We were AMAZED by the ship at the time. Compare it to what we have available to us now. The choices, the cabin categories, the design, the restaurants, etc. EVERYTHING is better now. It was not bad before...but the quality of what's available to us now is crazy.

This being said, the OP makes valid points. You simply can't "write off" negative reviews as some have suggested. Had the reviewer not noticed these things they would not have posted them. While I do think people are more inclined to write about a negative experience than they are about a positive one, if you see the same negative thing being said over and over you can't simply say, "oh they don't know what they are talking about." As a customer that is paying $$ for your cruise, you need to factor in the good along with the bad. Certainly the food was not 'inedible', but it may not have been up to par. All things to consider.

Edited by Sascol

I disregard ANY review that has the words "never again" or "food was inedible".

In fact, Ive stopped reading the reviews here altogether. If I have a question or want to know about a ship I will come here and ask seasoned cruisers I trust.

The review section of this site has become a laughing joke.

Unless you're reading a lot of reviews and they consistently mention the same problem, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially on very subjective preferential topics like food and entertainment.

Regarding the original topic question, the variety of activities has gone up over time as larger ships have been deployed. That increases the quality of the cruise for many people.

Edited by ewenix

Smells may come and go on any ship. I've been on ships reputed to have odors, yet detected nothing anywhere. I've gotten whiffs of sewer on other ships where odors were never mentioned in reviews.

I once found a moldy odor in my cabin bathroom, reported it immediately, and had a steward bleaching everything top to bottom within the hour.

Rest assured that the maintenance crew of ANY ship is not going to let any large area smell bad week in, week out. The problem WILL be corrected ASAP.

Take any review with a "grain of salt". I've read reviews of cruises I've taken and wondered whether the reviewer was even on the same ship. Their experiences were so far from my own.

Stop stressing, go with a open mind and figure there will be something on the ship you can eat.

Happy sailings.

I disregard ANY review that has the words "never again" or "food was inedible".

In fact, Ive stopped reading the reviews here altogether. If I have a question or want to know about a ship I will come here and ask seasoned cruisers I trust.

The review section of this site has become a laughing joke.

My sentiments exactly....K.O.:)

I agree with Sascol: quality of cruise ships in general feels better over 15 years. Obviously there are more things to optionally pay for, but I prefer a la carte to all inclusive. Some cruises I don't do one thing other than sit on deck and hit the buffet. Why pay for what I don't need or want?

I think you are going to get your wish. RCCL has plans for several more specialty restaurants in the future. I think the main dinning room eventually will be replaced with buffets. I'm not sure if that will include European cruises since main room dinning is a social event in that part of the world.

Burt

I was downhearted by the reviews of the Rhapsody. I could not be more grateful for all the good, positive comments about the ship. I have been lucky in the past to sail with finer lines. I have once stayed at the Savoy! But I really like Comfort Inn and Marie Callender's, too. I know I will have a great cruise, thanks to you.:)

Here's the thing; most people who post reviews, especially the negative ones, only write one review and aren't people that actually post on the forum, because they know their view won't be challenged. And then we never see them again. If you're going to read a review, look for the ones on the forum; even then, take it with a grain of salt. Your cruise experience largely depends on what you make of it.

Yes.

Me.

I do.

I get better with every passing day.

Thank you for asking.

:)

ROTFLMAO :D

Does anything ever go UP in quality?

I too agree with a lot of what Sascol posted. The ships themselves have definitely improved in quality and are amazing feats of engineering. The choices in cabins, ship designs, restaurants, etc. are all better now. I think back to our first cruise on Home Lines Oceanic in 1971. One swimming pool and I think it was smaller than one of the cantilevered hot tubs on Oasis. Tiny cabins and who could afford a balcony if they even offered them? Mostly lackluster entertainment by today's standards. Oh but the fantastic food and impeccable service.

I think one of the things that can most affect the quality of any cruise is the cruiser him or herself.

Going in with realistic expectations, knowing that not everything will be perfect and learning not to sweat the small stuff will go a long way toward a happy cruise. If there is a legitimate problem, address it immediately but respectfully so that it doesn't impede the rest of your cruise if possible. (It's surprising how many people wait to complain until after their cruise.) And yes, if it's not rectified onboard, do follow up afterwards.

There is so much to enjoy on a cruise. And the quality of just watching the ocean as you cruise along remains at the top of my list.

~ Judy

I was on Rhapsody in July. I would not recommend going on her for "I'm taking the cruise to experience the ship". But if the ports are nice (and she does seem to have some beautiful itineraries), absolutely!!! I had heard about the smell (I was on deck 3), but never experienced it. I did not like the food in the windjammer. MDR food was ok. The staff was lovely! The ports were awesome. It's just NOT a go on the ship and hang out for the week JUST for the experience, as you would find with the newer classes kind of a trip.

I think you are going to get your wish. RCCL has plans for several more specialty restaurants in the future. I think the main dinning room eventually will be replaced with buffets. I'm not sure if that will include European cruises since main room dinning is a social event in that part of the world.

Burt

but your delusional if you think RCCL will replace the main dining room with buffets....:rolleyes: