We're taking the plunge - upgrading to a PH!

Leejnd4

You had mentioned that you were going to have the bed split into twins. I wonder how that will work with the table and chairs at the end of the bed?

Hope your surgery goes well. You will not regret the PH.

is there anyone to answer this question?

is there anyone to answer this question?

I was looking at some pictures of the PH on cruisedeckplans dot com, and it looks like the chairs and table at the end of the bed are separate pieces of furniture that can be moved as needed. It would appear that it should not be a problem to split that bed up into two twins. So I've asked our TA to put in a request to Oceania to have our bed made into two twins in advance.

I was looking at some pictures of the PH on cruisedeckplans dot com, and it looks like the chairs and table at the end of the bed are separate pieces of furniture that can be moved as needed. It would appear that it should not be a problem to split that bed up into two twins. So I've asked our TA to put in a request to Oceania to have our bed made into two twins in advance.

The beds can definitely be split - although the reading light on the wall will be "off center" for the moved bed.

It has to be the bed away from the closet that will be moved and then its night table will be between the beds.

The table & chairs at the end of the beds will block access to the second bed via that path. It will have to be accessed by the sofa - I think.

Lee Ann - if the beds are not separated when you check in, the cabin steward will gladly separate them for you - no worries.

Edited by Paulchili

Sorry guys, I don't have a photo of this, but I have seen a Penthouse with the bed divided.

The Chairs are typically placed at the foot of each twin bed, and the table is placed as if it were an occasional table next to one or the other chair.

Alternatively, some people prefer that the breakfast table and chairs be moved over into the lounge area, so that the aisle between the beds remains completely unencumbered.

Great info about the beds! I think we will probably leave the chairs/table at the foot of the beds, since there will have to be room in the salon each night for the sofa to be made up into a bed.

I'm fine with the reading light - I do most of my reading on my kindle, which is backlit, anyway.

The other thing that makes me SOOO happy we made this choice is the closet situation. In looking at the floor plan of the veranda cabin, it looks like the person with the twin bed closest to the closet would have a major issue with all three of us having to squeeze in next to that bed to get to our stuff in the closet.

Having the walk-in closet on the other side of the room will be a HUGE help! And it looks like there is just the wall of the bathroom next to that side of the bed in the PH. So I think I'm going to claim that bed. :D

As it turns out, we weren't able to get 11003 - it was nabbed by someone else I guess. So we've got 11001. This is the last PH up in the bow. I hope it's not a problem being that far up.

I'm also wondering what the impact is on the balcony. Anyone have any exterior shots of the ship that shows the 11001 balcony?

Great info about the beds! I think we will probably leave the chairs/table at the foot of the beds, since there will have to be room in the salon each night for the sofa to be made up into a bed.

I'm fine with the reading light - I do most of my reading on my kindle, which is backlit, anyway.

The other thing that makes me SOOO happy we made this choice is the closet situation. In looking at the floor plan of the veranda cabin, it looks like the person with the twin bed closest to the closet would have a major issue with all three of us having to squeeze in next to that bed to get to our stuff in the closet.

Having the walk-in closet on the other side of the room will be a HUGE help! And it looks like there is just the wall of the bathroom next to that side of the bed in the PH. So I think I'm going to claim that bed. :D

As it turns out, we weren't able to get 11003 - it was nabbed by someone else I guess. So we've got 11001. This is the last PH up in the bow. I hope it's not a problem being that far up.

I'm also wondering what the impact is on the balcony. Anyone have any exterior shots of the ship that shows the 11001 balcony?

We were in 11001 for TA, it's just fine on movement. It's also real close to the laundry if you need that.

Edited by ORV

Wow, that does look lovely! I'm sure the heated loungers will be wonderful for me after diving, and to get some warmth into my shoulder.

Great pics, thanks!

I noted that your planning a 5 year cruise on a 44... I had a 42 offshore blue water boat for many years... and used to be navigator on a destroyer so I felt comfy 1000 miles off the coast of anywhere..

My thoughts go with you....but have to ask haveyou ever spent a week or more...day and night just sailing well off shore? Its a different animal than going to Ensenada or Catalina for the weekend. When I went on an extended month I auditioned potential crew by sailing out San Diego for 4 days and nights... standing watches at 2am... .... basically working every 4 hours around the clock.... A lot of people thought they would love it...by the third night people started to have problems....it was not an extended day or overnight sail... Having to reef in at 3am in a 15 ft sea and rain is not fun or easy...

I strongly suggest you take 2 others ...at least 1 who can do everything from cook to trouble shoot an electrical problem in the autohelm ... Feel good about climbing the mast , even at night or when your whisker pole punches in your forward hatch in a gale.... ...Could you manage all that if your husband was injured or fell ill.. ????? Having to stand watch solo for days at a time... with little or no sleep. It isn't fun.. and there is no time out.

It would be very good for you to take the Baha HaHa that Latitude 38 sponsors down to Cabo and back it is a real experience....and having to sail back uphill... InOctober /November each year

Besides it is the jumping off spot for the South Pacific or Hawaii both a good 3 week run down hill !! I know you want to do it... There were many in my marina that talked of it.. but when they figured out the sheer gravity of their plans they opted to reconsider.. Dreams are important but the ocean is and can be a cruel unforgiving place for man or beast alike

I did my sailing before turning 55 and it still kicked my rear...I had a crew of 4..half them under 35... we worked 4 hours each and then , no matter what time of day...you went to sleep as best you could and forget using the berths... you curl around the dinette, on the sole.. wrapped like a snake... day in and day out.. Its not what the romantic stories tell...

Anyway, I wish you both a happy and safe life and only offer this advice so that over the years you can make real decisions...

Offshore in the pacific is totally different than the carribe or mexico . Fair winds to you and a following sea

Cap'n HD

It would be very good for you to take the Baha HaHa that Latitude 38 sponsors down to Cabo and back it is a real experience....and having to sail back uphill... InOctober /November each year

Besides it is the jumping off spot for the South Pacific or Hawaii both a good 3 week run down hill !! I know you want to do it... There were many in my marina that talked of it.. but when they figured out the sheer gravity of their plans they opted to reconsider.. Dreams are important but the ocean is and can be a cruel unforgiving place for man or beast alike

Well hello there fellow sailor! :) Funny you should mention the Baja haha. We did it a couple years ago, and the year before that we did the SoCal Tata (which is put on by the same Latitude 38 crew, just prior to the Haha). My husband has also done Transpac, and we both have done the Newport-Ensenada race. I LOVE the Haha folks - Richard is one of the most hilarious (and bitingly sharp) people I've ever met. I'm totally addicted to reading his responses to letters in Latitude 38 - look forward to it every issue.

We were actually supposed to be on the Tata again this year, and were all booked and paid up, but then my damn shoulder injury happened and I ended up having rotator cuff surgery three weeks before the Tata. So there went that idea. And the money. :(

Anyway, we're pretty active sailors. We actually met on a sailboat, in Newport Harbor in 1981! We've been sailing ever since, and this is our fifth boat. We've been planning on doing this for decades, and I still can't believe it's only a couple years away. How did THAT happen? :eek:

We've been taking seminars on cruising for years. And we are planning on moving onto our boat for the year before we set sail. Which, by the way, will start out with the Haha, and then proceed onto the Pacific Puddle Jump (although not the same year - we plan on kicking around the Sea of Cortez for a year before we head to the Marquesas).

Anyway, would love to hear more of your stories but I fear we'd get pilloried for going so off-topic! :p Hey I have a great idea...why don't you come along on our Riviera cruise on Jan 3, so we can swap sailing stories and knowledge? I'm always interested in picking the brains of fellow sailors who have done blue-water cruising! I know I have a lot to learn.

Editing to add: Our boat is a Mason 44 cutter-rigged sloop - a good sturdy bluewater cruiser with a wind vane, water maker, and other equipment needed for offshore cruising. And while we're doing this just the two of us, we DO plan on taking on crew for the long passages, as needed and as we can find them. Certainly for the Pacific Puddle Jump, we'll bring crew. We have a few friends who have done it themselves who have offered to crew with us when we get to that point. So all of your points are correct, and well taken! :)

Edited by Leejnd4

We were in 11001 for TA, it's just fine on movement. It's also real close to the laundry if you need that.

Oh, good to know! :) Thanks! I plan on packing light, since I need to bring my scuba gear. So having the laundry handy will be helpful.

Would be nice if it was a real curtain. Probably wound not cost very much to do. The track is already there. :confused::confused:marina-penthouse-suite.jpg

Hopefully this will not be a deal breaker, but those interior curtains are just for show.

They are single panels of fabric.

Would be nice if it was a real curtain. Could not cost too much as the track is already there. Makes the PH into a real suite. :confused::confused:

Well we can meet as you get off or you can change.... Mason is a good boat but its glass... you really should have a steel or alu. hull for Fiji and the Tumotuas... not only for coral but submerged containers... 3 suggestions 1 carry 400' of 1/2 chain in the bilge... the added weigh and CG makes a glass boat a displacement one. 2. Install a double collision bulk head forward

3. for safety take the wet exhaust intake and put a Y valve so your engine can be a non elect bilge pump. 4 go with an auto prop and carry 350 gal fuel it will get you almost 2000 NM at 6KTS...Idid the uphill to SD fromin 6.5 days sailing 150miles off thecoast....( what Cedros canal) I now do symbiotic sailing... I use others boats, energy and labor rather than mine ( Iam into symbiotic, astronomy, flying, etc)

d smith 66 at earth link dot net if you want to hear more sea stories

Here is a pictures of the beds separated. On our first cruise, they were already separated this way. On a

Our second cruise the bed was not separated and that's when we found out that it can be done 3 ways. We asked our cabin steward to separate them and came back to find one bed up against the wall and bed stand between the 2 beds - also had the 2 beds very close but made up with twin bedding and bed stands on either side. This picture shows the best configuration.203135bc8ec76ea046e45d727a0db86f.jpg

There are more pictures of us entertaining in the cabin if you search "computerworks" Photo Tour of Riviera

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just an FYI for anyone who books the aft wrap penthouse on Deck 7. The balcony is stupendous but the cabin loses a few feet in width which makes the space between the table and chairs and the dressing table a bit tight. We had the steward remove the extra chair and coffee table and relocated the table and 2 seats across from the sofa bed.

df2c80ec25870e1d9260b20f9f909bc0.jpg3bd03b2501c9e64746d8649f8682c8ed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pics, and the link to more pics! Exactly what I needed to cheer me up as I sit here, day 2 post-op after shoulder surgery, unable to do much more than lie on the sofa. I really needed something positive to divert my attention, and scrolling through beautiful pictures of the ship I will be on in two months was just the thing.

I think ill go scroll through them again. :)