Latitudes meal and a la carte

KeithJenner

Does it specifically mention Moderno as an exclusion, or does it not mention Moderno (as you said in your first message)?

Good spot.

I have used my slip now, can't show how it's laid out. However, from memory, at the top of the details it says it's for Le Bistro and La Cucina (not mentioning Moderno) and this is what I had read when I made my first post.

Towards the bottom it mentions Moderno as not being included. I didn't notice this until later on.

I really should have taken a picture of it. Maybe someone else has got one. I have a feeling someone else may have posted a picture.

I really should have taken a picture of it. Maybe someone else has got one. I have a feeling someone else may have posted a picture.

Your photos have been very helpful to many people, thank you for posting them! :)

I'm not a big dessert lover. I usually order an appetizer and a salad, then my entrée. Hoping they they'll let me do that without a fee. Its' still 3 courses. But knowing how they apply the rules, somehow I think the staff will be confused by the request.

Someone will have to try it and report back. If it were up to the staff, I feel sure that they would be capable of comprehending this request and accommodating it, but who knows what instructions they have received, or how the POS system in the restaurant is set up. They may have been told to enter everything you have ordered and whatever discounts you are claiming, like "SDP" or "Platinum comp", and the computer calculates the bill automatically.

Found one of our recent Platinum dining certificate from our March 2015 sailing on the BA - just for reference on this thread with the new changes rolling out ... maybe, just maybe this is a trial with the new ship :eek:

Wording is interesting to note - "will not be honored at restaurants with a cover charge of over $20" Moderno was one of the option then.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150326LPDC.jpg

On my recent Gem cruise, for the first time in years, I wasn't given a CAS comped dinner! Was quite surprised! Was on the Breakaway in January with only needing 4,000 to become Golden. Boarded the Gem in October as "Lucky". When I questioned it, they said all points reset on April 1st.

• 1 month later...
I sail in 2.5 weeks. If the certificate is no longer valid in Moderno, that will be a big shift in expectation. While my husband is not sailing with me this time, I'm going to break the news to him, and he is going to be very unhappy and looking less forward to any future Norwegian cruise.

On our cruise on the Star in 2013 we were not able to use our platinum dinner voucher in Moderno, just in Le Bistro or La Cucina. That was also true last April on the Jewel. So it is not a new change. I think it's always depended on the restaurant host or the ship or the Latitude Consultant aboard.

Edited by NMLady

I think it's always depended on the restaurant host or the ship or the Latitude Consultant aboard.

Exactly this. The allowed replacement restaurants have always been ship/cruise dependent, we have been Platinums since early 2013 and seen different policies on different ships.

So it is not a new change. I think it's always depended on the restaurant host or the ship or the Latitude Consultant aboard.

Whilst what you say is true, there is a new change which is that Moderno has gone up to $25 on the Escape.

Including Moderno seems to have always been at the discretion of the ship, but the fact is that it almost always is included (every single one of my cruises since I reached platinum until the Escape).

Now, I'd suggest that with Moderno at $25 it will rarely, if ever, be included. If so then that is a change.

That's a shame, I always considered LeBistro fine dining.

I don't consider a three course meal fine dining.

More like "diner".

I'll be curious if you'll be able to swap your desert for soup or salad.

Some people would probably think that no meal on a cruise ship is fine dining. Most meals in the MDR include four courses. You can still have four or five courses at LeBistro, but you just have to pay a little.

We are Platinum and will find out how well the new al a carte dining works for us in September. If we decided to have a four course meal and pay a few dollars for a bowl of soup it won't break the bank.

There are thousands of platinum's with NCL now, so I'll speculate this is a cost saving measure, that really isn't a surprise. I've been platinum over 10 years. Several times, I was the ONLY platinum on the ship- got cpt dinner invites, gifts etc. Now there are so many, they have to sometimes split the cocktail parties. :) On the Breakaway- take a look at the monitors, LOADED with names, it looks like they are listed according to the night numbers, since my name is still at the top of the list. :) But it's hundreds of names.

I don't agree, they don't "value" Platinum's or their returning customers. Perks are a gift- simple. At least the dinner is still mostly covered. I turned Diamond on Carnival, and that "dinner" is, one time. :)