Plane Fire closes Ft Lauderdale Airport

IRL_Joanie

Runways opened a few minutes ago, but one of the taxiways is still closed. It was a Dynamic Airways flight to Caracas, Venezuela. They fly out of terminal 4. I've honestly never heard of them before today.

More than a dozen injured after plane catches fire at FLL:

http://www.local10.com/news/dynamic-airways-plane-catches-fire-at-fort-lauderdalehollywood-international-airport/36119056

Edited by POA1

Hope no one was cruising out, flying in or out today.

Plane catches fire at Ft Lauderdale Hollywood Airport.

http://news.yahoo.com/dynamic-airways-plane-fire-florida-airport-passengers-evacuated-170947512.html

Joanie

Bad enough if you were flying home, but what if you were flying in and departing today??

Emerald Princess - about 3000 passengers - is schedule to depart Fort Lauderdale today. Maasdam departs tomorrow.

Edited by DaveOKC

Bad enough if you were flying home, but what if you were flying in and departing today??

Emerald Princess - about 3000 passengers - is schedule to depart Fort Lauderdale today. Maasdam departs tomorrow.

Exactly why I posted it Dave. People flying in same day their cruise begins. People having to be back to work tomorrow....The airport only has 2 runways, according to the News Article. With the North Runway closed now.....

Joanie

Exactly why I posted it Dave. People flying in same day their cruise begins. People having to be back to work tomorrow....The airport only has 2 runways, according to the News Article. With the North Runway closed now.....

Joanie

Good point. They just added the second major runway, but there are two secondary runways.

In all fairness, this would have caused a ground stop almost everywhere.

Dynamic Airlines is relatively new, about 5 years old according to Wikipedia. Has (had?) five 767.

Airport was closed until 3pm, about 2.5 hours. No reports concerning flight diversions.

The local news mentioned several cancelled flights.

It must have been quite scary for all onboard, hopefully those injured will have a speedy recovery.

We fly to FLL today for a cruise tomorrow. DH and I both remarked "This is why we fly in the day before departure!"

I hope no one "missed the boat'"!

Typhoon1,

Sorry, but that is a ridiculous comment.

Last month, a British Airways B777 had an uncontained engine fire during take-off from Las Vegas, resulting in an evacuation and extensive damage to the aircraft. BA is about as Safe as it gets.

In both cases, the Captain and crew made the correct decisions and cabin crew performed a successfull evacuation of between 200 and 300 persons in UNDER 90 SECONDS.

Airlines, just like cruise lines take your Safety As priority number one.

Remind me to use another airline.

This post amazes me! If anyone thinks this way, then perhaps they should not travel at all on any Airline, Cruise Ship, Train, or Bus..

Every airline in the world has had fires, crashes etc.. The worst day of my life, working in an international airline was when one of our flights went down & we lost the entire U.S. Olympic skating team.. And I can still remember the horror when another Carrier's plane crashed on Rockaway Tpke. coming in for a landing at JFK, when I worked there.. What about the planes from a major airline that were hijacked by Passengers on 9-11..

Every cruise ship company has had fires, &/or sinkings including HAL..The first Prinsendam had a fire & sunk off the coast of Alaska in the eighties.. A Cargo ship was lost in the Atlantic with some of it's crew from my hometown on board last month..

Every rail company has had a major derailment.. Amtrak had one on it's way to DC on Oct. 5 this year..

Oh & BTW every bus & car company has had a major disaster.. A Bus crashed on It's way from NYC to Atlantic city, with many injuries years ago when the Driver fell asleep at the wheel..

The question which should be asked is: How is the Carrier training the crew & how well did the Crew & First Responders respond to & handle the emergency!

You might want to re-think your statement!..

Edited by serendipity1499

Following the events through network news and the internet, I marveled at the incredible professionalism apparent in the actions of all involved: passing flight crew, ground control, on board crew, fire fighters, and I am sure many others.

An event like this only has such a good outcome when those directly involved are well trained, practiced, and attentive to safety.