Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

"Lamenting," really? What people do know, is if you want to eat that much...order 2 or 3 (for free)

See the difference now?

Oh, I don't know how about wait til it sails a full regular week and see if they still gives those small tiny cuts of prime ribs on certain days to get your money's worth? Instead of losing your mind and lamenting over a 16oz, that'll be served on demand for those that want to eat it any day of the week at an extra cost to the person paying for it.

Same exact thing with steak and lobster which was removed from the MDR last year and was (still are) an extra cost in the specialty restaurants for those that want to eat it. Literally, the exact same thing.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

I thought I was confused too :) Sadly, I'm not

I thought it had to be a mistake too. Some of the same people will keep saying the same thing over and over about how better NCL is and still less money than others or go sail other lines if you don't like it. The truth of it is, if FDR would have just stuck to the extra $5-$10 it wouldn't so bad. He's wayyyy past that small amount. You're getting much less for more money. The only person that's good for is FDR.

Edited by janpo

This could an example of NCL actually listening to their customer (about the lobster at least). People have said loud and clear that lobster ("real" lobster) in the MDR is important to their cruising experience.

Yes it is an upcharge item, but maybe that is better than no lobster at all? It is not important to us, so I don't really have an opinion on the matter.

There's one originally posted by LrgPizza and reposted by SissasMomE in this message from that thread.

• 16oz prime rib $14.99
  • steamed 1.5lb whole cold water lobster $19.99
  • surf & turf (8oz filet mignon + cold water lobster tail) $24.99

The above items and prices look very similar to Cagney's menu

Same exact thing with steak and lobster which was removed from the MDR last year and was (still are) an extra cost in the specialty restaurants for those that want to eat it. Literally, the exact same thing.

Actually, the prices are cheaper in the MDR ($19.99 for whole lobster, $24.99 for surf & turf). At Cagney's on Escape, both of these cost $25 (and the surf & turf only comes with a 5oz filet mignon, not 8oz). At Le Bistro, the lobster is $24.99 and it's a roasted tail, not a steamed whole lobster. Of course I understand why these two specialty restaurants charge more (because people feel that the preparation and service are worth more), I'm just pointing out that if your main goal is just to eat lobster on board, the new à la carte option in the MDR is a good thing.

Again, this is only about the lobster. I will wait for more information before forming an opinion about the prime rib. :)

Actually, the prices are cheaper in the MDR ($19.99 for whole lobster, $24.99 for surf & turf). At Cagney's on Escape, both of these cost $25 (and the surf & turf only comes with a 5oz filet mignon, not 8oz). At Le Bistro, the lobster is $24.99 and it's a roasted tail, not a steamed whole lobster. Of course I understand why these two specialty restaurants charge more (because people feel that the preparation and service are worth more), I'm just pointing out that if your main goal is just to eat lobster on board, the new à la carte option in the MDR is a good thing.

Again, this is only about the lobster. I will wait for more information before forming an opinion about the prime rib. :)

I wish it was bigger. For a 2-pounder, I'd probably go for it.

Edited by SissasMomE

I'm guessing that some might be having selective memory. Some should back a couple of years and look at some of the posts from cruisers regarding NCL's dining and what they wanted to see on the ships. " I would pay to see some more choices added", "why can't we have lobster back, we used to get it 10 years ago", "I wouldn't mind the chance to pay for additional choices".

The MDR is still "free", they have added things that were never there before and there is a charge. We never got 1.5 lb lobsters back in the "good old days", we got pieces of lobster or if you go far enough back whole 3/4 lb lobsters (called chicken lobsters up North). Surf and turf, never had a whole 1.5 lb lobster, even in the North country where lobster prices are cheap, that's not a bad price.

I struggle to understand why something that is Optional is causing so much grief. The majority of food in the MDR's is still "free", if you want a "special" meal and don't want to go to a specialty restaurant, buy it, if not, who cares. If FDR announces that there is no longer food in the MDR with no additional cost, I will be the first to eat crow. But right now, it's about choices and that has to be good! Many here used to grumble about the specialty restaurants. They didn't like the fact that there were places on the ship that they had to pay, "should be all inclusive" they used to say. Works fine for me.

Enough with these silly statements. Can you not just voice your opinion & let other be entitled to theirs. I get it, you don't have a problem with this.

Shockingly, other might.

You mean wanting low fares but that means things get cut and/or now being charged when it used to be free/complimentary - no offense, you can't have your cake and eat it too.If you do want your cake; you either going to pay for it or go to another line that still has it included. Dem the breaks. *shrug*

Seriously, you're whining about something on short 1-3 day trip when it hasn't even sailed a full regular sailing yet and don't even know if they took small cut of prime rib out from O'Sheenan's yet. You're lamenting over prime ribs served like once or twice a week, but you didn't even bother to notice they took out free food items out of O'Sheenan's like pot pie, mozzarella sticks, some sandwiches and chicken tenders out. [emoji57]

Edited by maywell

I was referring to the fact, that steak and lobster used to be free in the MDR long ago but removed from there and charged extra in the specialty restaurants - same principle/concept, different location. Still have steak and lobster, just not in the MDR back then and had to pay for it (Still have to pay for it now, if one still wants it - same with large prime rib).

I can see you can't stop yourself from using over exaggerated statements & belittling someone that doesn't agree with you. No one is "whining" It's a discussion board. You are rude to anyone who has an opinion that is different from yours, You add very little to the discussion ...done with you

You forgot the rest of the part regarding not seeing that NCL removing couple of other food items that was serve at all hours from O'Sheenan's, but you're too focused on prime rib that gets served once or twice a week there - that's getting a upcharged in the MDR for every night. [emoji57]

Edited by maywell

Whole lobster was most certainly served in the dining room on cruises years ago. You also had your own deck chair assigned to you for the duration of the cruise, as well as your own deck attendant. Many things were different on cruises years ago.

Edited by SissasMomE

You might be right - I could had sworn the prime rib they were serving in the buffet and O'Sheenan's was 4-5oz with bone-in compare to the $14.99 16oz boneless their now selling in the MDR. 16oz compare to 4-5oz is not small cut of meat - do some people even what their lamenting over?

Regarding O'Sheenan's, we must have sailed at completely different times. On the Getaway a couple months ago Prime rib was offered 2 or 3 times, and definitely was not a bone-in, 4-5oz cut of meat. It was each time a very big , boneless prime rib that you could cut with a fork.

I just hope they continue with the 2 - 3 times a week prime rib. Since we rarely do specialty restaurants, I have no desire to go to MDR and suddenly be charged for a prime rib.

Often in last several years it has been speculated that MDR would become ala cart. I wonder if these new "charges" are the slow beginning of this....sort of like mission creep.

Charging for certain items on the MDR menu is nothing new in the industry and at first blush there doesn't seem to be any cause for alarm. As long as this doesn't reduce the number of complimentary items on the menu I wouldn't be too concerned with it. The prices charged for the items offered don't seem to be that outrageous. Yes, those items used to be offered gratis, but times and menus do change.

Often in last several years it has been speculated that MDR would become ala cart. I wonder if these new "charges" are the slow beginning of this....sort of like mission creep.

I seriously doubt any cruise line would go entirely a la carte in the MDR, that would be a sure suicidal act, since the norm on all ships is to get complimentary food in the MDR, sans some upcharge items. Not to mention, if they ever did and wanted to stay in business, they would have to reduce their fares to almost nothing for the general public to even consider cruising on them, if they had to pay for their food while on the cruise.

I think NCL is just doing what some other cruise lines are doing and that is to add some premium items at a price. One thing we don't know is if this is a test on the Escape or if it will go fleet wide. I would think if a lot order the upcharge items on the Escape, NCL will think they made the right decision. If folks don't order and NCL has a supply of un-ordered lobster, filet, etc. this might end on the Escape.

I seriously doubt any cruise line would go entirely a la carte in the MDR, that would be a sure suicidal act, since the norm on all ships is to get complimentary food in the MDR, sans some upcharge items. Not to mention, if they ever did and wanted to stay in business, they would have to reduce their fares to almost nothing for the general public to even consider cruising on them, if they had to pay for their food while on the cruise.

I think NCL is just doing what some other cruise lines are doing and that is to add some premium items at a price. One thing we don't know is if this is a test on the Escape or if it will go fleet wide. I would think if a lot order the upcharge items on the Escape, NCL will think they made the right decision. If folks don't order and NCL has a supply of un-ordered lobster, filet, etc. this might end on the Escape.

NCL could charge for towels, and pillows and everything in the MDR room and there would still be a few championing what a great idea it is.

This is ridiculous. Their prices have skyrocketed and their fees have as well.

NCL could charge for towels, and pillows and everything in the MDR room and there would still be a few championing what a great idea it is.

This is ridiculous. Their prices have skyrocketed and their fees have as well.

The towel exchange is $25 on NCL....:rolleyes:And its a matter of time, when they start charging for egg crates too.

Edited by maywell

I'm calling the "behavior" tachy. Prime rib has been on the menu forever. Is it too much to ask to have something "nice" in the MDR included with my cruise fare?

Wow I agree. Prime rib is now priced as ala carte are they freakini serious? Lobster I can see but prime rib which has always been free even have prime rib night in O'SHEEHANS is the stupidest change they have made.

Geri

Edited by FootballParent

I don't think o sheehans rib was 16 oz... Maybe these a la carte items are most days, with smaller portions of say prime rib still complementary on certain days.

Doesn't matter what size the prime rib was if it was 8 oz you could get seconds or even thirds for free if you wanted it. This is out of control

Considering Royal been doing selling steak and lobster in their MDRs for awhile - would you call that cruise line tacky too? Besides, at least now people don't have to go to Le Bistro or Cagney now to get lobster every night....

I think that it's tacky and a very obvious money grab. I was researching a cruise for next year on Oasis or Allure and saw the extra charge items on the MDR menu. I said to myself, "oh no! This is the type of thing I was trying to avoid."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The towel exchange is $25 on NCL....:rolleyes:And its a matter of time, when they start charging for egg crates too.

Unless something has changed (and it is entirely possible that it has given all of the recent changes;)) it's only $25 if you don't return the towel.

You forgot the rest of the part regarding not seeing that NCL removing couple of other food items that was serve at all hours from O'Sheenan's, but you're too focused on prime rib that gets served once or twice a week there - that's getting a upcharged in the MDR for every night. [emoji57]

They didn't take out pot pie and mozzarella sticks they took it out from a late night not during the day or dinner time. Shrug

Edited by FootballParent

IMHO Prime rib is much more important than pub food of pot pie and cheese sticks. The pub food type options come and go (similar to appetizers for lunch/dinner). That type of food isn't "special" to me and is easily replaceable (even though I would have preferred the pot pie to remain it's no biggie).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk