Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

Is it more palatable to think of a DSC service charge on top of a 18% service charge? If so more power to you. Sounds like a brilliant plan. Order a decent cut of meat that was free last week in MDR and feel oh so good that this week it's a $15 up charge with a likely 18% gratuity tacked on.

My personal fear is the cafeteria will become a madhouse. A fight for hot dogs with nowhere to eat unless standing.

Keep in mind...I didn't make the claim here, I just asked the person who did to provide a reference to back it up. Nothing more. I'm not going to argue the topic with you....I'm just looking to verify someone else's claim.

When I saw the thread title..I also thought it was a joke :o With the ways things are going...I am almost dreading what I will find on our May 2016 cruise:( While I know things change...the last year of constant (mostly non consumer friendly) NCL changes has been over the top. I' m not sure what I thought I could expect when booked in March of 2015 for May 2016 will look like in when I finally board. :eek: Yes.. I know there are a lot of things that can be done according to the written "contract"..and that things change with the economy.....but that does not make it any more acceptable to me. The NCL experience I have enjoyed for years may soon be unrecognizable.

Harriet,

I am aware of what it says, and what it used to say. I am also aware of what it does not say.

NCL is very careful in the language that they use. We should be just as careful to understand what is being said...and not said.

Post 83 shows the claim made and my very simple question in response. Either NCL stated that the specialty restaurant staff was not included or they did not make that statement...one or the other. If the statement was made, I'd love to see where. If not, someone should just say "well, NCL never actually said that", right?

On NCL FB page someone asked about it. An NXL rep replied that the specialty restaurants servers were no longer a part of the DSC. I've been looking for that post since you first asked posts back.....and I just can't find it as it was so long ago.

Harriet

First, they are not providing an inclusive list of who benefits from the DSC.

Some people could be upset the certain servers benefit from both the DSC and a mandatory 18% gratuity. Removing the words "specialty restaurant staff" from the FAQ heads off the argument. What it does not do is state that they are excluded from the DSC...something NCL has never stated.

If they have, I'd love to have the link.

I think you're spinning off in the wrong direction.

Here is what I know: Since the recent DSC changes any food that has a charge attached to it has included a mandatory service charge.

Here is what I want to know: Do the upcharge items in the MDR (not labeled as being from a specialty restaurant I must add) also have a mandatory service surcharge attached to them?

When someone provides photos of the full menu page, or buys the items, we will have our answer.

Here is what I want to know: Do the upcharge items in the MDR (not labeled as being from a specialty restaurant I must add) also have a mandatory service surcharge attached to them?

And that's what I would like to know. IF it's true that the specialty restaurant staff are not a part of the DSC and that is why there is an 18% service charge/gratuity charge when dining in the specialty restaurants would that mean that since the complimentary restaurants ARE a part of the DSC that there is no added 18%? If there is....wouldn't that be double dipping?

Harriet

On NCL FB page someone asked about it. An NXL rep replied that the specialty restaurants servers were no longer a part of the DSC. I've been looking for that post since you first asked posts back.....and I just can't find it as it was so long ago.

Harriet

Harriet,

Check your email. That should help to clarify things.

I hope someone will come to this topic and let us know:

A. Has NCL made the glaring mistake of charging 18% on top of DSC in the main dining room on top of the DSC? I hate the idea of an up charge in those dining areas.

B. If you have the UDP and can get the "upcharge" items included in the specialty restaurants, it would be ridiculous not to be able to use it in the main dining rooms. It would make no sense. Not that I want them to charge in the DR's to begin with. Allowing people with the UDP to use it in the dining rooms might slightly placate people who are frustrated that they cannot get reservations in the specialty restaurants.

Either NCL stated that the specialty restaurant staff was not included or they did not make that statement...one or the other. If the statement was made, I'd love to see where.

Here is a link to a thread;

Auto Gratuity at Specialty Restaurants

NCL phone reps were indeed telling folks who called and asked that specialty restaurant wait staff were not included in the DSC.

Rochelle

Edited by rochelle_s

NCL phone reps were indeed telling folks who called and asked that specialty restaurant wait staff were not included in the DSC.

Rochelle

First...Considering the amount of bashing that goes on in this forum because of misinformed phone reps, I'd hardly think that they would be any sort of an accurate source, no?

Second...There is a HUGE difference between "NCL said...." and "some poster on another thread claimed that a phone rep said...", right?

Lastly, and again...the post I quoted back at post 84 stated that NCL said that the Specialty Restaurant Staff was not included. All I've asked for is a link to where NCL made that statement. All I've gotten so far is innuendo, he said-she said, supposition, and guessing. I'm guessing that NCL never really made that statement, yet for some reason nobody wants to simply say "Nope, NCL never did actually say that".

Rochelle

Thanks for posting the link Rochelle.

When NCL changed from "Restaurant Staff:" to "complimentary restaurant staff" included in the DSC at the same time the gratuity was added to the Specialty Restaurants, that says to me in writing that the Specialty restaurant servers are not part of the DSC.

They also said it on Facebook and to many who called and asked.

I'm sorry that is not good enough SeaShark then I can't help.

Keep in mind...I didn't make the claim here, I just asked the person who did to provide a reference to back it up. Nothing more. I'm not going to argue the topic with you....I'm just looking to verify someone else's claim.

You asked when NCL said they were not included.

I answered that they Said it when the 18 % was put in place.

I NEVER said that they put it in writing in those exact words.

They said it to every person who called and asked!

Lois

And that's what I would like to know. IF it's true that the specialty restaurant staff are not a part of the DSC and that is why there is an 18% service charge/gratuity charge when dining in the specialty restaurants would that mean that since the complimentary restaurants ARE a part of the DSC that there is no added 18%? If there is....wouldn't that be double dipping?

Harriet

I am not going to spend time searching for the threads but several months ago when the 18% service charge gratuity was first implemented there was a reference in the threads to an NCL explanation that specialty restaurant servers would be covered by that.

There was then a lot of discussion about double-dipping until it was explained that specialty restaurant servers would no longer be part of the DSC.

You can probably find at least one of the threads discussing it.

Harriet

Yes

You asked when NCL said they were not included.

I answered that they Said it when the 18 % was put in place.

I NEVER said that they put it in writing in those exact words.

They said it to every person who called and asked!

Lois

Total supposition on your part...there is no way you could know what was said or not said to everyone that called.

Not to mention that time and again phone reps have been shown to be the least informed source available. Based on mountains of evidence right here on Cruise Critic, I can't accept a phone rep as a reliable source.

First...Considering the amount of bashing that goes on in this forum because of misinformed phone reps, I'd hardly think that they would be any sort of an accurate source, no?

Second...There is a HUGE difference between "NCL said...." and "some poster on another thread claimed that a phone rep said...", right?

Lastly, and again...the post I quoted back at post 84 stated that NCL said that the Specialty Restaurant Staff was not included. All I've asked for is a link to where NCL made that statement. All I've gotten so far is innuendo, he said-she said, supposition, and guessing. I'm guessing that NCL never really made that statement, yet for some reason nobody wants to simply say "Nope, NCL never did actually say that".

Asking seriously, why does it matter in this thread? We're trying to determine if non-specialty branded food in the MDR attracts a separate mandatory service surcharge since it is in a complimentary restaurant already covered by DSC.

I can 100% appreciate your desire for a clear cut answer to your question but perhaps a new thread would be better suited for that topic as its really not about a la carte MDR items

Total supposition on your part...there is no way you could know what was said or not said to everyone that called.

Not to mention that time and again phone reps have been shown to be the least informed source available. Based on mountains of evidence right here on Cruise Critic, I can't accept a phone rep as a reliable source.

I can no longer tell what point you are trying to make but it's not related to a la carte MDR items.

I would s7ggest you call NCL or post on their Facebook page for yourself though

Edited by LMaxwell

I can no longer tell what point you are trying to make but it's not related to a la carte MDR items.

I would s7ggest you call NCL or post on their Facebook page for yourself though

See post 84, the point hasn't changed one bit...it's really a black and white issue, either they said it, or they didn't and apparently nobody has any record of it being said.

I give up, you win! :rolleyes:

Specialty restaurant servers are included in the DSC . or they are not. :confused:

Lois

Edited by electro

I give up, you win! :roll eyes:

Specialty restaurant servers are included in the DSC . or they are not.

Lois

Wasn't trying to win....just asked for a reference to back up a claim. There is nothing wrong with not responding if you don't have one.

Wasn't trying to win....just asked for a reference to back up a claim. There is nothing wrong with not responding if you don't have one.

Gave you them. Apparently, they were not good enough for you.

So like I said, You win. I'm done.

When I sail on NCL, I expect someone to do the cooking, someone to make my bed and clean the room and bring fresh towels, someone to provide entertainment. No one does these things for me at home. I don't pay a cent for specialty restaurants, ala carte items, or extra gratuities. I don't drink alcohol. I get bargain food at a bargain price.

If I want gourmet food including lobster every night somewhere on the ship, lobster tail and filet sandwiches every day at lunch at the pool bar, no-fee specialty restaurants including a 32 oz. porterhouse steak, I pay the price up front and sail on Oceania, and also get free sodas and other non-alcoholic drinks and included airfare.

Ya pays yer money and yer get what yer pay fer...NCL suits me just fine when I want to cruise on a budget.

Gave you them. Apparently, they were not good enough for you.

So like I said, You win. I'm done.

No...you gave me nothing that NCL said. At best it was "somebody claimed that NCL said"...not what I asked for in post 84. Next time just let the person I've asked answer...quit trying to "win".

least we forget that regardless what NCL, "says" or "doesn't say," they can and do, according to their contract, change what the customer purchased to what they get at any time. So whatever they, "said" today or any day on their website doesn't mean they will not change terms and conditions prior to sail. That is a fact. It all boils down to acceptance of this fact or choosing a different cruise line. Trying to defend them for not, "saying" speciality dining staff is not included in DSC is really quite pointless and just gets the thread off track, which it seems you have a motive to accomplish.

No...you gave me nothing that NCL said. At best it was "somebody claimed that NCL said"...not what I asked for in post 84. Next time just let the person I've asked answer...quit trying to "win".

actually, gave you a link to NCL.com but whatever.:rolleyes:

actually, gave you a link to NCL.com but whatever.:rolleyes:

Yes...but not a link to what I asked for. Why is that so hard to grasp? If they said it, provide a link, if not say nothing. It's that simple. Besides, I thought you were done.