Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

I have the original UDP from before they changed the dining plans.

Can I use my UDP for prime rib in the main dining room?

Great questions! It is called the "ultimate" dining plan, lol. I highly doubt it though. There could be a big case made for the 25% discount though. I'll just stick to the actual speciality restaurants ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The no pot pie, mozzarella sticks and chicken tenders I'm referring to are from the O'Sheenan menu photos on the Escape - who knows if that was for just that sailing or going forward on all ships.

Its the last 2 pictures

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48103405&postcount=5265

Edited by maywell

What is considered 'nice'? Because fried chicken, beef wellington, shrimp, salmon and tilipa are too....

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Tilapia is a cheap piece of fish and fried chicken you can get on almost any street corner with a bucket costing peanuts and feeding an entire family.

Yea, it's 'nice' but ........ really??

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

The towel exchange is $25 on NCL....:rolleyes:And its a matter of time, when they start charging for egg crates too.

You can exchange your towek for free. Just bring back your old/wet/used one and get a new one - no charge. They say there is a $25.00 towel fee of the towel is not returned at the end of the cruise (or left in the cabin).

Harriet

Tilapia is a cheao piece of fish and fried chicken you can get on almost any street corner with a bucket costing peanuts and feeding an entire family.

Yea, it's 'nice' but ........ really??

Harriet

When you have to take a bus and train to the nearest fish market close to home - even whiting and catfish looks good too. Same with fried chicken - when you have to trek 1 or 2 miles to the nearest Chinese restaurant close to home because there's no KFC or the bootleg version nearby - and its not even seasoned well.

In other words - Food is subjective, depending on whats nearby. I want good food at a restaurant - I literally have to trek and plan, or use GrubHub / Seamless and wait an hour or 2 for delivery. Dem the breaks. *shrug*

NCL could charge for towels, and pillows and everything in the MDR room and there would still be a few championing what a great idea it is.

This is ridiculous. Their prices have skyrocketed and their fees have as well.

I don't think anyone is championing the idea of NCL charging for items in the MDR, just pointing out that others are already doing it. Just an FYI, folks can understand something or not have an issue with something, but it doesn't mean they are championing the change. I haven't seen one post where a posters has said "Yippy they are charging more".

I seriously don't think, as I said in my post, that NCL would charge for everything in the MDR nor do I think they would ever charge for towels (unless not returned, which other cruise lines charge for as well), pillows, etc., because it is an industry norm and they would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they did it. What they are doing is following suit with what others have already been doing, and I would guess successfully.

As I also said in the post you quoted, we don't know if (1) this is just a test on the Escape or (2) if it is not successful on the Escape, will it go fleet wide.

Wondering if someone who has been in the MDR on the Escape could tell us if prime rib was ever on the menu at no charge at anytime during the cruise or was it always an upcharge item.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You can exchange your towek for free. Just bring back your old/wet/used one and get a new one - no charge. They say there is a $25.00 towel fee of the towel is not returned at the end of the cruise (or left in the cabin).

Harriet

You're referring to the exchange for regular blue ones for free and I'm referring to the $25 fee for the blue and white ones.

Sigh.....there is no charge for towels unless you actually buy one or you do not return it/leave it in your room. What Maywell is making it sound like is that you have no towels to use at the pool unless you pay $25 but that is not true and completely false. Again giving out wrong information

You're referring to the exchange for regular blue ones for free and I'm referring to the $25 fee for the blue and white ones.

Only charged for the beach towel if they don't get it back at the end. You can exchange for a fresh one as much as you like at no charge.

But that's not the topic here, so let's stay on the topic which is a la carte items in the MDR. That way the topic stays open.

Hey, just curious; regarding a la carte items; would anyone else be tempted to skip Cagney's $4-$6 per person desserts and just head to the MDR to order a sampler of desserts for free? I thought NCL's MDR included desserts were very good and saw no reason to pay for a different item.

Only charged for the beach towel if they don't get it back at the end. You can exchange for a fresh one as much as you like at no charge.

But that's not the topic here, so let's stay on the topic which is a la carte items in the MDR. That way the topic stays open.

Hey, just curious; regarding a la carte items; would anyone else be tempted to skip Cagney's $4-$6 per person desserts and just head to the MDR to order a sampler of desserts for free? I thought NCL's MDR included desserts were very good and saw no reason to pay for a different item.

If I had room for desert this is probably what we would do (or grab something from O'Sheehans or the buffet). Although I doubt we'd be in Cagney's in the first place.

I have to say, they also looked good to me. If it remains anything like my last cruise, the Cagney's server offered to get me the lava cake from the MDR when I asked if they served it in Cagney's. I didn't ask him to get, as I didn't want to take him away from his job serving others, but I'm sure they will get a dessert from the MDR if you would like it. That is why I like the specialty restaurants, they are always so accommodating.

I have to say, they also looked good to me. If it remains anything like my last cruise, the Cagney's server offered to get me the lava cake from the MDR when I asked if they served it in Cagney's. I didn't ask him to get, as I didn't want to take him away from his job serving others, but I'm sure they will get a dessert from the MDR if you would like it. That is why I like the specialty restaurants, they are always so accommodating.

I'd just restaurant hop in that situation. Walk off Cagneys a bit, then head to MDR, be sat there, to order desserts. Or insert specialty restaurant of named choice here; I'm just not seeing anything on the menus that looks so enticing that I'd spend $10-12 a night for two of us to have. MDR is good, included, and we can sample more variety.

Does anyone know if the Upcharge items in the MDR attract an 18% service charge? That wait staff is already in the DSC pool and NCL have only said specialty restaurant wait staff is not

If it remains anything like my last cruise, the Cagney's server offered to get me the lava cake from the MDR when I asked if they served it in Cagney's. I didn't ask him to get, as I didn't want to take him away from his job serving others, but I'm sure they will get a dessert from the MDR if you would like it. That is why I like the specialty restaurants, they are always so accommodating.
After they move to everything à la carte and no cover charge in Cagney's etc., I am not sure they will be so accommodating about fetching you free food from another venue instead of having you pay for something they offer on their own menu… Edited by hawkeyetlse

I'd just restaurant hop in that situation. Walk off Cagneys a bit, then head to MDR, be sat there, to order desserts. Or insert specialty restaurant of named choice here; I'm just not seeing anything on the menus that looks so enticing that I'd spend $10-12 a night for two of us to have. MDR is good, included, and we can sample more variety.

Does anyone know if the Upcharge items in the MDR attract an 18% service charge? That wait staff is already in the DSC pool and NCL have only said specialty restaurant wait staff is not

That's acrually the best question of this entire thread about the 18% in MDR for let's say the prime rib

Truth be told, I don't want to know* but if its a similar setup like Royal with their auto 18% tip for the premium dishes in the MDR - probably so. (*Its not that serious to buy premium every time when there other free dishes in the MDR each night)

That's acrually the best question of this entire thread about the 18% in MDR for let's say the prime rib

I knock one out of the park once in a blue moon.

From what I see on the menu none of the a la carte items are branded as being from any specialty restaurant, so I have to best assume they come from the MDR kitchen and are being served by the MDR staff. Since MDR is part of DSC I would not think it would or should be subject to a further 18% charge. The menu I found online is cut off at the bottom so I can not see if any notation is there or not.

On the Jade this summer in the MDR they served beautiful huge cuts of prime rib. No charge. A couple years ago on the Pearl they served good sized lobster tails in MDR no charge. We know for a fact the lobster tails are no longer free. I assume the better meat cuts will go the same route as the lobster in MDR. Only this time with a twist, you can still get if you pay.

Wonder if someone had the $50 dining credit for inside stateroom if that can be used. You could stretch out over two or three meals with one person getting an up charge item and other get free meal and sharing.

Truth be told, I don't want to know* but if its a similar setup like Royal with their auto 18% tip for the premium dishes in the MDR - probably so. (*Its not that serious to buy premium every time when there other free dishes in the MDR each night)

Royal's premium items are from Chops and not cooked in the main dining room. They are labeled as items from a specialty restaurant. The items on Royal's a la carte up charge section were never items you could have previously ordered at no charge in the MDR.

Careful. Don't give NCL any ideas.

Royal's premium items are from Chops and not cooked in the main dining room. They are labeled as items from a specialty restaurant. The items on Royal's a la carte up charge section were never items you could have previously ordered at no charge in the MDR.

When NCL removed the lobster from the MDR, they put them in the specialty restaurant like Le Bistro - Hence, similar setup.

When NCL removed the lobster from the MDR, they put them in the specialty restaurant like Le Bistro - Hence, similar setup.
I'm going by memory, but didn't NCL have lobster tails in the buffet after they disappeared in the MDR and then it changed to a seafood pasta with lobster? I could swear I read some posts where folks were saying they were eating large amonts of lobster tails in the MDR and then in the buffet....maybe that is why there isn't any lobster in the MDR or buffet. Edited by NLH Arizona