Good hotel in Southampton

DPD

Hi DPD. DH and I always stay at the main Ibis Hotel (not the budget one). It is right by the shopping precinct where you will find Boots The Chemist, always useful as I always forget something that I measure as absolutely vital.

Hotel booking and check in works like a dream, decent room, good bathroom and value for money dinner if you want to eat in. Breakfast is included in the price, continental or full English. The best bit is that it is almost opposite Gate 10, which you can use to get to the car parks, and of course you can see your ship when you get up in the morning! Always a bonus.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by cocker2

Last July we stayed at the Ibis budget, never again. It was very basic, not even a tea tray in the room, which is usual for hotels in the UK.

We have booked the Ibis for next year and have also stayed at the Novotel. They are on 3 sides of a central car park.

Although you will see your ship in the morning at the City terminal, I wouldn't like to walk to it with cases.

Depends what you mean by "good". If you feel comfortable being 20 miles away on the edge of the New Forrest there's Chewton Glen - which is really really good but quite pricey

It's only 30-40 mins drive from Southampton

We stayed at the Rose and Crown in Salisbury on our last trip to England. It's a short walk to the 750 year old Salisbury Cathedral which is a 'must see'. We intend to stay at the Rose and Crown again when we do our Trans-Atlantic. It's about 25 miles from Southampton. There are car services which will deliver you to the dock. Rose and Crown was excellent and we look forward to staying there again.

http://www.legacy-hotels.co.uk/hotels/rose-and-crown-hotel-salisbury

We stayed at the Premier Inn West Quay for 2 nights in August. I would not stay there again even if it was free. It is a good location but a terrible hotel.

The phones didn't work, they had only one lift working, and it was a very odd hotel. Wish we had stayed at Novotel which is down the street.

It depends on what you are looking for: cheap & cheerful or a wonderful start to your cruise.

Have not done the cheap & cheerful but can highly recommend the Grand Harbour upgrading to a balcony, harbour view room. If you book the cruise package, it include a private car to the port with your luggage handled for you.

Cannot promise the wonderful firework display over the harbour we had last November but can recommend the hotel.

Two years ago our stay at The Grand was not great. Stayed at the Holiday Inn this year. Yes cheaper, less frills but we felt much better value and for one night when we had 14 nights of pampering ahead it was more than adequate (and a lot less expensive)

Another vote for the Holiday Inn - they have a cruise & stay package that includes a taxi to & from your ship - it was great using that for our trip on Britannia this year.

The hotel is also close to the shopping centre & a number of great places to eat/drink.

Two years ago our stay at The Grand was not great. Stayed at the Holiday Inn this year. Yes cheaper, less frills but we felt much better value and for one night when we had 14 nights of pampering ahead it was more than adequate (and a lot less expensive)

Our experience at the Grand Harbour was also not so great last October. We upgraded to the balcony suite, but we found it hadn't been thoroughly cleaned, which is something I really hate.

I found the dining area quite unwelcoming. We won't be staying there again.

Next time we will try the Holiday Inn.

The previous September, prior to my cruise on the Eclipse, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Exp out by the Southampton airport. Nice hotel. typical Holiday Inn Exp with a nice breakfast, not expensive. When we arrived at Heathrow we rented a car and drove around SW England a few days, stopped at Bath and went down to Cornwall. Then for the last 2 days prior to the cruise we arrived early at the Holiday Inn Exp and went to Winchester that afternoon. The next morning we went Salisbury and that afternoon went to the COSTCO and purchased my state room wine. Also, found a laundromat for quick wash of the clothes. Then the morning of the cruise we returned the car to the Southampton airport and caught the U Bus to the cruise terminal. The bus was only a few pounds and it was a very nice ride through Southampton airport and University.

Edited by Banjo

We stayed at the Grand Harbour in September. To put it bluntly - we were underwhelmed. From the room, to the service, to the food, and don't get me started on the parking. Horrendously overpriced for what it was. We will not be returning!

We always stay at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker...Literally steps from the ship:

http://www.hisouthamptonhotel.co.uk/

View from my room: Click on thumbnail below

Avis car return is right behind the hotel...Hertz car return and others a short walk away...

Very large shopping mall right across the highway...

Walkable to historic Southampton-- all within blocks of the hotel.

HISouthamptonview.jpg.d1da74eb63db8c36535baf10fead4acf.jpg

Edited by Bruin Steve

We always stay at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker...Literally steps from the ship:

http://www.hisouthamptonhotel.co.uk/

View from my room: Click on thumbnail below

Avis car return is right behind the hotel...Hertz car return and others a short walk away...

Very large shopping mall right across the highway...

Walkable to historic Southampton-- all within blocks of the hotel.

Bruin, I would used this hotel but the rental car agency office by the cruise terminal was closed on Sunday. Sunday was the day the week the Eclipse was departing. Unfortunately the Southampton airport was it.

Tarheel

We always stay at the Novotel when cruising from Southampton. In our experience the rooms are clean and comfortable, with friendly welcoming staff, great buffet breakfast and close proximity to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always stay at the Novotel when cruising from Southampton. In our experience the rooms are clean and comfortable, with friendly welcoming staff, great buffet breakfast and close proximity to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ditto!