Help with Med 2016

boyznme

I'm looking to go to the Med in Sept 2016. Primarily want to go to venice and

santorini. Would like to go on a large new ship. Can only find an acceptable itinerary on HAL Oosterdam but hubbie feels ship

is old. We took HAL Maasdam and hubbie couldn't sleep because of banging noise all night. We like Princess and Celebrity. What good is a vacation if hubbie isn't happy. There is a Celebrity ship that goes to santorini from Rome but then we would miss venice. Am I missing something or are options slim.

There is not much out there which includes your criteria. NCL Jade runs an itinerary that fits, but is older and smaller ( perhaps a suite on this ship would work though). Oceania runs one of their newer ships (Riviera) on Aug 31 that has an itinerary that works, but it's not a large ship ( but it is upscale).

The newest ships are the large ones. Your problem is that Venice hems and haws about limiting the size of ships through the Giudecca Canal to the terminal. So lines have been forced to send their smaller, older ships on the Venice itinerary. In the Med, itineraries are port intensive, few sea days, so itinerary is more important than ship. Oosterdam is a lovely ship and only 4500 tons smaller than HAL's current newest ship, Nieuw Amsterdam.

And I believe she will go through a dry dock before starting her summer in the Med. EM

If you are able to find a newer ship that leaves from Rome you may still be able to get your wish! You could fly into Venice a few days ahead and then train to Rome or Civitavecchia.The train is very easy to do and is a pleasant ride . It's not that costly and may be a way to get in everything that you'd like to do. We have done this a few time,most recently in the beginning of October. We arrived on a Saturday morning and took the train to Rome Monday mid day. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you want to look into this option!

If you are able to find a newer ship that leaves from Rome you may still be able to get your wish! You could fly into Venice a few days ahead and then train to Rome or Civitavecchia.The train is very easy to do and is a pleasant ride . It's not that costly and may be a way to get in everything that you'd like to do. We have done this a few time,most recently in the beginning of October. We arrived on a Saturday morning and took the train to Rome Monday mid day. I'd be happy to answer any questions if you want to look into this option!

I will be doing exactly the same thing in May. We will arrive in Venice at noon on Saturday and leave Monday morning for Venice as the ship departs later that day. I'd be interested to hear how you made it to the port at Civitavecchia from Venice.

Theres the RCCL Harmony (Oasis class) and CCL Vista as large new ships in 2016 but do not go near Venice. The Harmony will do the West Med route and the Vista will do both but stop in Athens/Corfu as well as Malta and Croatia but not Santorini. We are booked for the Vista in August.

Theres also the Celebrity Equinox (newish and fairly large) doing a mixed med route also. Having been on her I can say shes a great size and very modern.

As people have said its the smaller/middle ships as Venice is still preserving itself and although big ships are technically allowed now they are still limiting certain vessels.

Personally I think that a smallisj ship is fine as the delights of the Med are exhilirating by themselves.

The Haven on the Jade is such an extraordinary experience. It is truly like being on a private yacht. We had cabins in that area twice on two different Med cruises - you will LOVE it! The breakfast and lunch in Cagney's, the suite, the butler, the concierge, the best cabin stewards ever and all the amenities make this such an incredible experience. The sun deck is hardly used - it is almost like you have the ship to yourself at times and it is the perfect place for photographing the ports. The Haven pool and hot tub area - just fantastic and it's an all-around great experience. I would go on the NCL Jade in The Haven without a second thought. Get the one bedroom penthouse in The Haven - the bathroom is WONDERFUL!!!! as is the whole suite. Also understand on Med cruises, you are off the ship touring all day long, so the ship acts more like a floating hotel and somewhere to eat breakfast and dinner. The suites come with DVD players and we brought along movies and TV shows we had never seen before. I know there was a comedy show onboard and my husband went to that and enjoyed it, but for me, just being in the fabulous Haven was enough. We loved eating dinner at Le Bistro, Cagney's and now they also have Moderno and there is Teppanyaki and La Cucina, but we also enjoyed the Grand Pacific MDR. It's a great ship! I can't imagine that you would be disappointed in The Haven experience. We were up there with some world famous people who could afford anything they wanted and their family and entourage and they absolutely loved it too! In fact, I think you would have to be pretty ungrateful not to enjoy the incredible Haven experience.

Personally I think that a smallisj ship is fine as the delights of the Med are exhilirating by themselves.

I agree with Velvetwater, and the Mediterranean itinerary is very port intensive with the ship not typically the focus. Since you like Celebrity (and I realize her age, but she was refurbished in 2010), consider the Constellation's 11 nt. eastern Med from Rome to Venice. Ports include Amalfi, Italy; Catania, Sicily, Italy; Athens; Santorini; Mykonos; Kotor, Montenegro; Zadar, Croatia; and Koper, Slovenia.

Older, smaller, but still nice are Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas 10 & 11 nt. that begins in Venice and includes Santorini, and the Vision of the Seas 7 & 8 nt. also departs from Venice and includes Santorini. :)

And I'll just mention Costa Deliziosa (2007) offers 7 nt. Greek Island from Venice, and includes Santorini.

I hope you find an itinerary and ship for the Med that satisfies you both- enjoy!

Butting in here - you catch the train from Venice St. Lucia to Roma Centrale and then catch the train to Civitavecchia and then take a taxi.

All this can be done in advance on Trenitalia. The train has to be reserved but you can buy the local tickets at the machine in the station.

I seem to remember the train from Venice takes three and a half hours then from Rome about one and a half hours.

It is quite a long day if you factor in the vaporetto. You want to be leaving Venice before 09.00 or even 08.00. We went from Venice to stay in Rome but the last time it was the other way around and we caught the train about 07.30 from Civitavecchia - Rome - Venice.

It is not a difficult journey but steps into the first train are steep and difficult to lug in a heavy case.

I agree with Velvetwater, and the Mediterranean itinerary is very port intensive with the ship not typically the focus. Since you like Celebrity (and I realize her age, but she was refurbished in 2010), consider the Constellation's 11 nt. eastern Med from Rome to Venice. Ports include Amalfi, Italy; Catania, Sicily, Italy; Athens; Santorini; Mykonos; Kotor, Montenegro; Zadar, Croatia; and Koper, Slovenia.

Older, smaller, but still nice are Royal Caribbean's Rhapsody of the Seas 10 & 11 nt. that begins in Venice and includes Santorini, and the Vision of the Seas 7 & 8 nt. also departs from Venice and includes Santorini. :)

And I'll just mention Costa Deliziosa (2007) offers 7 nt. Greek Island from Venice, and includes Santorini.

I hope you find an itinerary and ship for the Med that satisfies you both- enjoy!

I had missed the Constellation September cruise that fit...but, for some reason it looks like only suites and insides are available...all the middle cabins are showing sold out. I wonder if there is a large group on it?

I will be doing exactly the same thing in May. We will arrive in Venice at noon on Saturday and leave Monday morning for Venice as the ship departs later that day. I'd be interested to hear how you made it to the port at Civitavecchia from Venice.

We went to Rome the evening before the ship left! I love the trains in Italy and the scenery between Venice and Rome is lovely.I know to get to the port you will have to transfer trains. However, I understand that it is easy to do since the two trains share the same waiting area so you just take your suitcase and turn and face the other track! Taking the train is a great way to see different places in Italy!

Start Venice, finish Rome or vv are very popular cruises because of the obvious ability to add two land based city breaks onto your holiday. Could be a large group but it could also be popularity.

Before you rule out the suites on Constellation do a pricing. The suites come with significant perks (more perks for more expensive suites) and often you can get drinks packages OBC. If you factor this in it may not be as expensive as an initial glance at the price seems

We recently cruised in the Adriatic/Aegean Seas, including Venice & Santorini.

We sacrificed ship for itinerary, with a similar mindset as has been mentioned. We regret doing so. Our overall experience was lackluster. We couldn't stop comparing on-board amenities, or lack thereof, to prior cruises.

Just our experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We recently cruised in the Adriatic/Aegean Seas, including Venice & Santorini.

We sacrificed ship for itinerary, with a similar mindset as has been mentioned. We regret doing so. Our overall experience was lackluster. We couldn't stop comparing on-board amenities, or lack thereof, to prior cruises.

Just our experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've sailed that area on both Serenade of the Seas and Norwegian Jade. Both were great experiences, although smaller ships. Evening time was dinner, bar, shows in the theater, some live music here and there. No bells and whistles...but with a port heavy cruise, I'm not sure I needed on-board action after exhausting days. (Often went to bed earlier than I'd like to admit.)

I'd say it depends personal preference (he says, stating the most obvious thing EVER!)...but do think about the fact that so many of these European cruises are port intensive, and how much your focus is on the ports rather than the ship.

I've sailed that area on both Serenade of the Seas and Norwegian Jade. Both were great experiences, although smaller ships. Evening time was dinner, bar, shows in the theater, some live music here and there. No bells and whistles...but with a port heavy cruise, I'm not sure I needed on-board action after exhausting days. (Often went to bed earlier than I'd like to admit.)

I'd say it depends personal preference (he says, stating the most obvious thing EVER!)...but do think about the fact that so many of these European cruises are port intensive, and how much your focus is on the ports rather than the ship.

I have to agree with you. I was on the Jade last year and enjoyed it as well. My choice of cruise line and ship depends on the itinerary that I'm looking for. I also found myself heading back to the cabin in the evenings earlier than perhaps in the Caribbean for some much needed Zzzz's after a port intensive day. I'm looking forward to my third Med. cruise on yet a different ship, chosen because of the itinerary.

OP, the Celebrity ship that you don't want to go on might be old, but it had a major makeover/refurbishment in 2013. If I were to cruise in 2013 and wanted that itinerary, I'd book it.

edit - I see in September, that ship goes from Venice but not to Santorini and goes to Croatia instead. I would actually prefer that, but not what you are looking for. In July/August, it does the Venice to Greek Isles.

Edited by hubofhockey

There are itineraries through the summer in 2016 on Connie that go from Venice to Rome and include Santorini. The August 7th sailing also includes an overnight in Malta. You could spend a couple of days in Venice pre cruise to make the most of your time there ;). Connie's a beautiful ship, we have sailed on her previously and are doing so again next year. Would much prefer her to Rhapsody as we were not too keen on Splendour or Enchantment, but that's obviously our personal choice ;).

I agree. Pick your itinerary and ship and if it sails out of Rome fly to Venice, stay a couple days and train to Rome. You could stay in Rome a day or two and take train or private transfer to ship. We are doing that in May..

flying to Venice, train to Florence, few days there, train to Rome, few days there before boarding ship. This way you get to see the cities you want and have the ship you want.

Happy sailing!!