Passport Question

MtnDweller

I just received my passport, but I have a question. On the application it asked for First, Middle, Last Name. I put that info down. However, my driver's license has my First Name, Maiden Name, Last Name. My license is like that because of the federal requirements that were put into place years back.

My question is since the passport and driver's license have a different middle name would this be an issue?

Why would it be a problem?

Your passport is now your official form of identification. Accepted worldwide. Drivers license is only for your State.

Drivers license vs. passport have nothing to do with anything.

Edited by klfrodo

Why would it be a problem?

Your passport is now your official form of identification. Accepted worldwide. Drivers license is only for your State.

Drivers license vs. passport have nothing to do with anything.

Never needed a passport for travel before. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't be an issue. This is all new to me.......that's why I asked. :cool:

Never needed a passport for travel before. Just wanted to be sure it wouldn't be an issue. This is all new to me.......that's why I asked. :cool:

Fair

Your passport is now your ticket to the world.

Flying domestic? I use my passport for ID

Flying international? I show my passport for ID

Go to the bank? I show my passport for ID.

Someone asks for my SSN for background check? I provide my passport number.

Police officer asks for my license, I hand over DL (The only instance I provide my DL for identification purposes. Unless I'm in a situation where 2 forms of ID are required, usually military locations for work related situations)

I just received my passport, but I have a question. On the application it asked for First, Middle, Last Name. I put that info down. However, my driver's license has my First Name, Maiden Name, Last Name. My license is like that because of the federal requirements that were put into place years back.

My question is since the passport and driver's license have a different middle name would this be an issue?

Mine is not same . did not use middle initial on one

One issue not mentioned anywhere is that your cruise documents MUST have your name exactly identical with your Passport name. Even a minor deviation could cause a problem.

Same thing for your airline tickets if you fly internationally.

True story. My wife's middle name is Anne. Her CA driver license spelled it right. Her passport truncated the e so it shows Ann. When we applied for the TSA Precheck she was denied because of that discrepancy which meant that we had to get her Passport reissued with the correct name.

Another matter. Make sure the name being used on your airline tickets is exactly the same as your Passport. For domestic travel it's not that big a deal if your driver license is accurate...but international travelers MUST be very careful.

One issue not mentioned anywhere is that your cruise documents MUST have your name exactly identical with your Passport name. Even a minor deviation could cause a problem.

Same thing for your airline tickets if you fly internationally.

True story. My wife's middle name is Anne. Her CA driver license spelled it right. Her passport truncated the e so it shows Ann. When we applied for the TSA Precheck she was denied because of that discrepancy which meant that we had to get her Passport reissued with the correct name.

Another matter. Make sure the name being used on your airline tickets is exactly the same as your Passport. For domestic travel it's not that big a deal if your driver license is accurate...but international travelers MUST be very careful.

I did read about this. Thanks for the reminder. I booked our first cruise earlier today and there's no place to put a middle name for my guests. Hmmm......

ETA: Found it. :)

Edited by MtnDweller

Just make sure the same EXACT name (especially first & last) on our cruise documents and airline flights is what is on your passport.

Sometimes cruise documents only have a first & last name printed on them ... no problem.

Edited by OCruisers

Fair

Police officer asks for my license, I hand over DL (The only instance I provide my DL for identification purposes. Unless I'm in a situation where 2 forms of ID are required, usually military locations for work related situations)

How come when you fly domestic you use your passport for ID, but when you fly international you only show your passport for ID?

How come when you fly domestic you use your passport for ID, but when you fly international you only show your passport for ID?

What?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

basically what I was saying was that anytime I fly, I use my Passport at the ticket counter for positive ID and I use my passport at the TSA security check point as my form of positive ID

Sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen. What is your legal name? What do your marriage license and social security card say? Are your earnings being properly credited to your FICA account? Sorry to get lightly off topic.

It's all good. :) Both my DL and SS card have my First Name, Maiden Name, Married Name. The federal gooberment changed the way those are done years ago. It's all part of the new enhanced driver's license law and to help prevent identity theft.

Edited by MtnDweller

Your passport number is not a substitute for a Social Security number. When SS# is needed that is what is required. As in Credit Checks, getting bank account, a credit report, employment.

They are two distinctly different numbers used for completely different purposes.

What?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

basically what I was saying was that anytime I fly, I use my Passport at the ticket counter for positive ID and I use my passport at the TSA security check point as my form of positive ID

I was having fun with the fact that you changed words ...

Your passport number is not a substitute for a Social Security number. When SS# is needed that is what is required. As in Credit Checks, getting bank account, a credit report, employment.

They are two distinctly different numbers used for completely different purposes.

What is the connection between the quoted post and your answer?

Fair

What is the connection between the quoted post and your answer?

Sorry it was not your post I meant to Quote but that of Klfrodo, who seems to think his Passport number is a substitute for his Social Security number.

Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by JVilleGal

You're absolutely correct when there is a financial transaction in place.

However, there have been times in the recent past where, for security or identification purposes, some entities requested my SSAN. I would refuse to provide that information and I would offer up my passport number.

You're absolutely correct when there is a financial transaction in place.

However, there have been times in the recent past where, for security or identification purposes, some entities requested my SSAN. I would refuse to provide that information and I would offer up my passport number.

Ya well good luck with that!

Fair

domestic flying....Global entry card. :D