Attire for Anytime Dining

IdRatherBCruisin

So, we had an interesting dress code experience last week on the Regal. One of our tablemates (a very tall gentleman) showed-up in Bermuda shorts one evening and was admitted to the MDR for Anytime Dining. The following night he again wore nice Bermuda Shorts (and even had the knee socks used for more formal functions in Bermuda) and was turned-away at the same MDR. He had to go back to his cabin and change into long pants.

Hank

Amen sister.

I don't think that was the implication at all - shorts aren't smart casual just like there's no such thing as a short sleeved dress shirt. That's all that was implied. It is interesting to note that people who tend to dress overly casually, are the first ones to get all sensitive about what they plan to wear.

:D So very true. I wish I had a wittier response, but I'm too busy packing my formals and high heels for my Grand Princess cruise departing next week.

BTW, due to weight and luggage restrictions, I find that there's no room for shorts or flip-flops in my suitcase.;)

There is no after 6:00 pm dress code for the ship other than the doning rooms. Some on here just love to set standards that do bot exist. And then they wnder why there is so much confusion when it comes to dress codes. Wear shorts and T shirts throughout the ship, other than the MDR anytime you want. And enjoy yourselves.

Again no seperate dress fode theoughout the ship for after 6:00 pm.

I seem to remember that some years ago there was a heated discussion on the HAL board (I think I was only aware of this because people debating the subject re: Princess were pointing it out) about how shorts are taboo in public areas after 6ish. I was thinking at the time that HAL wouldn't be a good choice for me in that case just in case we decided to stick with the casual dining venue (I'm guessing there must be one on board) -- how could one get from cabin to there or are you expected just to order room service if you didn't want to dress up?

Some people on the Princess board insisted that the dress code for the MDR was the same for the entire ship at night. But why bother to have the buffet or poolside grill then?

In reality, as long as you have some sort of footwear and not going topless, you can wear what you want (hopefully within reason) outside of the MDRs and specialty restaurants.

Everyone is different. If I was at home, and going to dinner, or a play, or a comedy show, or dancing, I wouldn't wear shorts. If you normally wear shorts to these types of events where you live, then you will have plenty of company on the ship. No worries.

Clearly you don't live in the South where it is hot or NYC summer (been to the theatre lately?) or Bermuda, always pick up the awsome shorts and knee socks when I land in Bermuda for the evening. In Dallas if you said to anyone no shorts after 6 you would be laughed back to where-ever.

Edited by MrMan

Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man. :D

Hi Folks

When you think about the best way for men to show their nice legs would be to wear a Kilt and Stockings, always expectable and I'm sure the ladies would enjoy the sight :D

regards

John

Are blue jeans allows in the main dining room.:confused:

Well if you must :p I however tend to leave my "Work" gear at home:eek:

Sorry I could not resist

I must say I rather enjoy the sight of a shapely leg .....

Regards

John

Clearly you don't live in the South where it is hot or NYC summer (been to the theatre lately?) or Bermuda, always pick up the awsome shorts and knee socks when I land in Bermuda for the evening. In Dallas if you said to anyone no shorts after 6 you would be laughed back to where-ever.

I actually have friends in Atlanta and New York, but their evening attire does not extend to shorts either. As for Dallas, I would have absolutely no reason to ever travel there.:rolleyes:

Are blue jeans allows in the main dining room.:confused:

Shorts and jeans are okay during the day in the MDRs. Usually I find jeans a bit too warm unless on an Alaskan cruise or when there's a few days that tend to be cool (like the first couple of days of the Hawaiian cruises, maybe on California coastals...). I did wear jeans for the first time for dinner on a cruise the last time but they were black skinny jeans that can easily pass for dress slacks unless you're very close. I tend to live in jeans or leggings in the winter, but I wouldn't consider blue denim for a really nice restaurant or special event such as a wedding.

Amen sister.

I don't think that was the implication at all - shorts aren't smart casual just like there's no such thing as a short sleeved dress shirt. That's all that was implied. It is interesting to note that people who tend to dress overly casually, are the first ones to get all sensitive about what they plan to wear.

Sure it is. Princess has two dress codes for the MDR. Smart casual and formal. In the context of the original question, the answer would seem to indicate that the Princess smart casual dress code applies outside the MDR. It is simple logic. If smart casual doesn't apply in other areas, then it is irrelevant if short what you or anyone else considers to be smart casual, because well, it doesn't apply. Princess makes it clear that shorts are appropriate everywhere but the MDR.

I find it interesting to note that you make assumptions about people based on questions that are asked. I wear suits 4-5 days a week 50 weeks out of the year. The other two weeks are my time to relax. Yes I choose to be more casual. That often means khaki shorts and a polo, except for dinner. No, I normally won't change after dinner. But there are nights I may eat in the buffet so I won't be changing for dinner in the first place.

I certainly won't go change because you think the MDR dress code should apply anywhere I go.

If you consider that excessively casual, well, I don't care. I'm not on vacation for you or anyone else. I paid for my cruise. I will respect the policies that my host asks.

If that bothers you perhaps you can buy your own cruise line and set your own rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by oceanseagle12

Living in the southwest, jeans and shorts are the order of the day during summer months (April to October). It is hot here and so we dress to be cooler. On Caribbean cruises I wear my shorts all the time except dinner in the MDR when I will wear jeans except for the formal nights when I wear dockers. When you sail out of Houston/Galveston, expect to see a lot of jeans being worn as that is what we wear. We also wear hats outside and inside as well as in casual restaurants.

Edited by satxdiver

I agree that you will see different forms of attire when sailing from different ports.

Cruises departing British ports are in our experience much more formal in the evenings. Passengers are mainly British and most will have driven to the port so do not have to worry about the weight of their luggage. Also use "Brits" tend to enjoy dressing up.

On our last Princess cruise in August I saw no one in shorts in the evenings, anywhere. On formal nights it was back to back dinner suits and long dresses. Smart casual evenings were very smart and dressy. We have also noticed that the longer the cruise the dressier the passengers have been.

I agree that you will see different forms of attire when sailing from different ports.

Cruises departing British ports are in our experience much more formal in the evenings. Passengers are mainly British and most will have driven to the port so do not have to worry about the weight of their luggage. Also use "Brits" tend to enjoy dressing up.

On our last Princess cruise in August I saw no one in shorts in the evenings, anywhere. On formal nights it was back to back dinner suits and long dresses. Smart casual evenings were very smart and dressy. We have also noticed that the longer the cruise the dressier the passengers have been.

We did a British Isle cruise this summer and then took the same ship on a TA to Fort Lauderdale.

What you say about the Brits is true. However on the TA which was mostly Americans the dress was pretty causal and people were even wearing camo pants to the dining room on casual night.....kinda of like a Duck Dynasty cruise:)