CCL Stock, where to buy

twinkle toes

I think you're asking about how to buy CCL in a 401K. That can be difficult. A 401K is different from an IRA. A 401K is run by your employer and most limit your holdings to an approved list. Some allow more freedom. If you're talking about a 401K, you'll have to ask your plan administer. I was in the federal thrift savings fund, a 401K, and it would not have been permitted.

Some 401k's offer a Self Directed Brokerage Account option. Basically, you can transfer money from your 401k into a brokerage account and purchase stock there. There can be fees related to having the SDBA (mine is free, but some have a $25 annual fee). My trades are also free as long as I do them myself on the website (meaning if I want to call in and have a CSR process the trades, there is a charge). Dividends can be reinvested or transferred back to your 401k.

CCL stock is the only reason my 401k didn't lose money last quarter.

Some 401k's offer a Self Directed Brokerage Account option. Basically, you can transfer money from your 401k into a brokerage account and purchase stock there. There can be fees related to having the SDBA (mine is free, but some have a $25 annual fee). My trades are also free as long as I do them myself on the website (meaning if I want to call in and have a CSR process the trades, there is a charge). Dividends can be reinvested or transferred back to your 401k.

CCL stock is the only reason my 401k didn't lose money last quarter.

You are fortunate in that your employer offers this benefit. As I said, most 401ks limit your options. Some do not. 401ks are offered by your employer and your employer determines your options.

I bought at $38.11 so I've got an unrealized gain of $1504. I bought for the dividends and the OBC. The stock may or may not go up or down from here. The dividend and OBC make it a good value.

I understand. It isn't really a gain if you're not selling. It's just that it makes it less promising to buy it NOW.

I agree that NOW is probably not the best time to buy. Of course I will be eating my words if the stock goes up 10 points and stayed there.

The low for the past 3 months was $46.48. The low over past 6 months was $45.77. One year ago $39.87.

That said, don't own any individual stocks so it would be purely for OBC and dividends. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's headed down again.

I agree that NOW is probably not the best time to buy. Of course I will be eating my words if the stock goes up 10 points and stayed there.

The low for the past 3 months was $46.48. The low over past 6 months was $45.77. One year ago $39.87.

That said, don't own any individual stocks so it would be purely for OBC and dividends. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it's headed down again.

If you are buying for the OBC and dividend and don't intend to sell after one cruise, then now is as good a time to buy as any. I bought at around 38 and people were saying it was too high then.

If you are buying for the OBC and dividend and don't intend to sell after one cruise, then now is as good a time to buy as any. I bought at around 38 and people were saying it was too high then.

I would tend to agree with your statement. Stock purchase for earnings is, at least to me, a long-term affair. I bought 100 shares on 4 Sep and the price was $48.70. Since then it's closing price has varied from there up to a high of $54.17 on 17 Sep and right now it's at $52.70 the last time I checked. It really depends on why you want to buy the stock, as an investment or for the OBC benefits.

But, then, I certainly don't profess or pretend to be a stock guru by any means.

Tom

I just got my bank verification back, and funded the scottrade account. I figure I have until the 11th before I have to purchase and send in the proof of ownership. I'm going to just watch it for a few days and see if for some unknown reason it dips.

Is the OBC from stock refundable or non-refundable? In others words, do we need to use it all up while on board or can we ask for what's left (if any) as a refund. We have a cruise booked for next June and have $750 in OBC already. This was booked during the "3 for Free" sale so our gratuities are paid and only $225 is non-refundable. I'm sure we'll spend it :) but we really don't need more non-refundable OBC. The rest will come back to us in some form (cash, I hope). Thinking of buying stock but may not want to use the OBC for this cruise anyway.

<<<Karen>>>

Is the OBC from stock refundable or non-refundable? In others words, do we need to use it all up while on board or can we ask for what's left (if any) as a refund. We have a cruise booked for next June and have $750 in OBC already. This was booked during the "3 for Free" sale so our gratuities are paid and only $225 is non-refundable. I'm sure we'll spend it :) but we really don't need more non-refundable OBC. The rest will come back to us in some form (cash, I hope). Thinking of buying stock but may not want to use the OBC for this cruise anyway.

<<<Karen>>>

It's refundable, the last I heard. Princess automatically uses non-refundable first and then uses the refundable if there is still money owed. A check follows a few weeks after the end of the cruise.

Tom

Thanks, Tom

Just what we wanted to know. Will buy stock (should have done it years ago :() and get the OBC for our cruise.

<<<Karen>>>

Good! Hope your purchase goes as easily as mine did. I went through my insurance company/bank (USAA) and it was a snap. I sent in my form and Princess had it posted to my cruise in less than 24 hours. I get my first OBC from stock in my next cruise. (3 days!) I always enjoy getting a non-taxable benefit!

Tom

Is the OBC from stock refundable or non-refundable?

<<<Karen>>>

It's refundable, the last I heard. Princess automatically uses non-refundable first and then uses the refundable if there is still money owed. A check follows a few weeks after the end of the cruise.

Tom

Nope. Sorry, it is non-refundable. I just checked my Personalizer to verify. The shareholder OBC has an * next to it, indicating non-refundable.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure this is the breakdown, but I am sure someone will chime in if this is wrong

Cruises less than 7 days : $50 OBC

CRUISES 7-13 days. : $100 OBC

CRUISES 14+ days. : $250 OBC

Best investment I have ever made in re the OBC. Imagine getting $50 on even a one day cruise! Just got $250 sailing on the 14 day transatlantic.

Just a minor correction: the actual document on the Carnival Corp. shareholder website says: "Onboard credit per stateroom of sailings of 6 days or less".

Just slightly less ambiguous, but with the same meaning.

Thinking of buying stock but may not want to use the OBC for this cruise anyway.

The stockholders' OBC can be used on every Carnival Corp. brand cruise you take, so there is no reason not to take it for this and every cruise.

Unable to use all that OBC? I bet the ship's jewelry boutique has some suggestions.

<<<Karen>>>

No reason not to use the OBC. there is no limit to number of cruises you are able to take advantage of the credit. We have bought clothing, jewelry, specially dinners, cosmetics, gifts for family, a camera, Princess excursions, etc, etc.

• Like 1

<<<Karen>>>

It is NOT a refundable credit. Only prepaid credits and the military credit have been refundable on cruises I have taken. There is no real sequence in how it is used. It just starts as a beginning credit. At the end you can get refunded up to the total of the refundable credits.

Never turn down the credit even if you do not plan to use it. Just buy Christmas presents.

• Like 1

I bought at $38.11 so I've got an unrealized gain of $1504. I bought for the dividends and the OBC. The stock may or may not go up or down from here. The dividend and OBC make it a good value.

Agreed Rocketman!

Thus far CCL has been a great investment. Paid $33.91 a few years ago with Fidelity for a $7.95 charge. My unrealized gain thus far is $1945.35

For those that are thinking of treating children or grandchildren than both need to have shares in their own name to receive OBC for both cabins.

I really don't care how the stock moves as long as I continue to receive OBC and the dividends. We currently have two future cruise deposits with Princess and are still trying to decide where to cruise next.

Howard

• Like 1

It is NOT a refundable credit. Only prepaid credits and the military credit have been refundable on cruises I have taken. There is no real sequence in how it is used. It just starts as a beginning credit. At the end you can get refunded up to the total of the refundable credits.

Never turn down the credit even if you do not plan to use it. Just buy Christmas presents.

According to Princess, non-refundable credits are used first and then refundable.

Tom

• Like 1