Formal dining question

MrsLH

I wear a long formal gown on the first night, and a shorter cocktail dress the second. Husband and adult sons (26 and 22) wear suits & ties. We LOVE formal night. Well...the 26 year old doesn't, but he does "suit up" to make his mom happy. [emoji12]

Edited by CCC3

I was going to wear a suit. But, at the last minute my wife convinced be to bring my tux. I have seen military and fire department dress uniforms and kilts for men. For women I have even seen Kimonos. What ever you feel comfortable in.

My DH normally wears a tux on the first night and a suit and tie on the second formal night. I wear a cocktail dress.

I have seen men in dockers with a button down shirt with or without a tie and woman in full gowns to sun dresses...

Is almost dead, formal night should be just what it says, but not many truly are formally dressed and a dark suitor or Cocktail dress is not "Formal". On our Snow bird cruise last week, there were a few TRULY formally dressed people, but over all many were in groups that do the formal thing. I walked past a table of 8 and at the table were one couple dressed to the nines, two in ugly shirts and ties one in Caribbean casual and one in jeans and other in something. I would have been upset if I went to the trouble to dress accordingly to the "Suggest Dress Code"

I wish they would make a area on all ships for those who chose the Formal dress, and I wish they would call it DRESS UP night which would make many of us happy, with at lest no t shirt, no baseball hats and a collared shirt. shorts etc. Jeans are OK if not bib overhauls.

25 years ago, formal night was dress up night. Most wore jacket and tie for men, including myself. It was never "formal" in the extreme. However, they now do have a new concept on RCCL for formal night. One restaurant is "formal only" every night except the first night. All the other ares are non-formal, and they do not have any night set aside. So what happens when you have a formal restaurant? People still complain that they can't go in without a jacket. Seriously, how difficult can it be to understand this. They will loan you a jacket if you really want to go. No matter what you do, you will always have that one person that thinks jeans and a polo shirt, with socks and sandals are formal.

I wonder if airline baggage fees have contributed to the decline of formality. DH is 6' 4". His suits take up a lot of space.

That has often been asserted. MHO, often it is the truth. Often, it is a convenient excuse. For my family, it is neither. We drive to the port. We do not pack formal wear. We just do not understand the excitement of formal nights. We find many other things to do and completely avoid the MDR on formal nights.

That has often been asserted. MHO, often it is the truth. Often, it is a convenient excuse. For my family, it is neither. We drive to the port. We do not pack formal wear. We just do not understand the excitement of formal nights. We find many other things to do and completely avoid the MDR on formal nights.

People always have the option of flying and boarding the ship in their finest :)

rsz_mm054750.jpg

can you imagine the cost of transporting a steamer trunk these days?? Would the cruise line even accept one??? :eek::eek:

Men: Dark Suit and tie

Women: Cocktail dress

We've toned it down from the long, flowing gown. Since they still call it formal night, we at least go to the trouble of suit and cocktail dress but we would be all over casual wear if the cruise line didn't list it as formal night.

My DH normally wears a tux on the first night and a suit and tie on the second formal night. I wear a cocktail dress.

I have seen men in dockers with a button down shirt with or without a tie and woman in full gowns to sun dresses...

Never understood the tux and suit plan. Do the tux twice, less packing. ;)

People always have the option of flying and boarding the ship in their finest :)

rsz_mm054750.jpg

can you imagine the cost of transporting a steamer trunk these days?? Would the cruise line even accept one??? :eek::eek:

Nice choice of ship. :eek:

I'd be willing to dress up more for a flight if the airlines served food that looked even half that good!:D Our last flight on AA was 5 1/2 hours and we got nothing to eat, not even a bag of stale pretzels!

Sherri:)

Edited by sjb317

Never understood the tux and suit plan. Do the tux twice, less packing. ;)

My DH does it because he wears a very ugly uniform for work and doesn't have many occasions to 'dress up'. Once a year our land vacations are more of staycations when we have a litter or 2 of puppies.

We typically drive to our destination vacations or cruises so packing x number/weight of luggage isn't an issue.

We quit the MDR for 7 cruises until this past September. We didn't bring "formal" clothes so skipped the first formal night. The next night after formal night our waiter really got after us for not coming to formal night. When we told him we didn't bring the right clothes, he told us what we'd been wearing was perfectly acceptable. DH wore black Dockers and a button down shirt; I wore a skirt and nice blouse. The second formal night we were quite surprised to see hardly any suits and definitely no tuxes in sight.

Actually, when I began to travel for business back in the mid-70s, I always travelled in a suit. Seemed the right thing to do and it was a great way to transport the suit.

I did a bit of googling about dress codes in the age of Titanic. I couldn't find a dress code for the Titanic but I did find some interesting contemporary information. I found a female passenger using an exercise bicycle. The hat was required. I also found a report from a female passenger about how tired she was of constantly changing clothes during the day. Believe she said she was required by the expectations of fashion to change clothes five or six times during the day.

My DH does it because he wears a very ugly uniform for work and doesn't have many occasions to 'dress up'. Once a year our land vacations are more of staycations when we have a litter or 2 of puppies.

We typically drive to our destination vacations or cruises so packing x number/weight of luggage isn't an issue.

Isn't a tux a dress up outfit. Accessorize with a different bow tie set up or shirt style. Get a dinner jacket. Save a pair of pants. FWIW, I can practically walk to the ship, but no need to bring extra luggage. Packed my tux in a rolly bag this last voyage. Safe travels

Isn't a tux a dress up outfit. Accessorize with a different bow tie set up or shirt style. Get a dinner jacket. Save a pair of pants. FWIW, I can practically walk to the ship, but no need to bring extra luggage. Packed my tux in a rolly bag this last voyage. Safe travels

I understand your point...it's his preference. He only has 4 suits and the tux....

When he retires or we move to a warmer area, than I can argue that point with him... [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk