Dining room screaming baby

lprime60

Ok - I'm a parent, but not of a young child (our youngest is 14) but given the comments here, I feel the need to chip in.

While I can see that no one REALLY wants to listen to a screaming kid in the dining room, I'm sure sure that includes the parents. It's been a while but I still remember the hassle of trying to enjoy a family break. They've probably worked hard to be able to afford the cruise and are trying to make the most of it. Taking a kid away for an occasional squeal would be absurd. There's far worse you could be sat next to at the dinner table - smokers (the stale smoke doesn't magically disappear), racist pensioners, etc. The MDR isn't meant to be a library - there should be a bit of noise if folk are enjoying themselves.

Most of the cruises I've been on (and I don't list them all here) have had lots of kids, but they've been kept entertained by great kids clubs during the day and early evenings - didn't see most of them unless there was a pool event on.

I've found the worst for inappropriate noise are the older audience that sit during the shows - chatting to their hard of hearing pals constantly. Or bitching about the bands between songs.

Last off, just to say you'd probably better get used to family cruising, it's a growing market that the cruise companies are going to go after.

I don't think that most people are taking about a occasional squeal. For me that would not bother me at all. But prolong screaming would. We all work hard for our cruise money and we want to enjoy our dinner too.

Just one question: Why would it be bad to share a dinner table with a pensioner? What is wrong with retired people? Just asking to here your view point.

Happy cruising.

Edited by geocruiser

I don't think that most people are taking about a occasional squeal. For me that would not bother me at all. But prolong screaming would. We all work hard for our cruise money and we want to enjoy our dinner too.

Just one question: Why would it be bad to share a dinner table with a pensioner? What is wrong with retired people? Just asking to here your view point.

Happy cruising.

Actually if you read OP's posts it seems that they were indeed talking about the occasional squeal and not prolonged screaming.

Warm Breezes,

You sound like a terrific Mom. What a pleasure to read your post.

Thank you. My kids are now 21 and 18 and I thank God everyday for them. They are both living at home while going to a local university and have been such a blessing and help to me during my current health issues. I'm not so sure I am terrific Mom but I definitely have raised terrific kids. My one piece of advice to parents of younger kids is mutual respect. You need to give your children reasons to respect you like setting and consistently enforcing boundries (including for behavior) and you need to respect them by actively listening to them and giving them freedoms appropriate for their age.

Actually if you read OP's posts it seems that they were indeed talking about the occasional squeal and not prolonged screaming.

Yes I miss read it. Several screams the OP was taking about. I don't think that it would bother me, unless it made me drop my soup on my lap.:)

Happy cruising.

Nothing wrong with retired people in general - my comment was 'racist pensioners', as theres been quite a few that we've ran into who's views are outdated and pretty offensive. It does seem to me that they think because of their age, no one will challenge them on their behaviour.

Nothing wrong with retired people in general - my comment was 'racist pensioners', as theres been quite a few that we've ran into who's views are outdated and pretty offensive. It does seem to me that they think because of their age, no one will challenge them on their behaviour.

So maintaining one's values and beliefs over their lifetime is considered "outdated"?

There is an old adage: "Each generation is a new invasion of barbarians which must be taught the ways of civilization -- lest they destroy civilization".

Parents who fail to pass on at least some of the accepted traditions of civilized conduct are complicit in the destruction of their own civilization.

I disagree. I would tell the waiter with expectations that they would inform the appropriate staff member or dining guest to remove the distraction.

Are you kidding? Do you really think telling ANY staff member to remove a crying baby from its parents is a good idea?

That approach to life is more anti-social than any crying baby.

Are you kidding? Do you really think telling ANY staff member to remove a crying baby from its parents is a good idea?

That approach to life is more anti-social than any crying baby.

Not remove them from the parents. Tell the parents to take the baby out of the MDR. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We're into the third generation of such. There is no hope of recovery. The current one has the added detriment of being born with a cel-phone in their hand.

I am afraid your right...and in that case we are all to blame for todays "bad parents".

I guess that saying "when you point one finger, there are three more pointing back at you" is applicable here.

Either we have been lucky on our cruises or I never paid attention, as I don't recall screaming or crying babies to a problem at all in the MDR. Now fellow "adult" cruisers cutting in line at the buffet....well, I guess that is a topic for another thread!

Edited by Badfinger

So maintaining one's values and beliefs over their lifetime is considered "outdated"?

If the values and beliefs you are maintaining are racist and/or bigoted, yes. For example, I could not stand to have dinner with my ex-in-laws. XMIL was a definite racist - she could not let one family meal go without commenting on either the India Indians who "have taken over all the 7-11s" or how we need to get rid of all the Mexicans (who have taken all our low-wage jobs), or why doesn't anyone speak English anymore at the local Subway, or why doesn't Italy get rid of all those Africans, the LDS Church is right to not allow children of gay couples to be baptized, etc. There is no way I could sit through a dinner on a cruise ship with this type of "pensioner." Now, a pensioner who engaged in polite conversation regarding what we saw that day, or other mindless chit-chat, I'd be happy to sit with them (if I actually wanted to sit with anyone).

Back OT: If the child let out a scream, be it happy or sad, once is OK. Second time, I'd be shooting arrows in your direction. Third time, you have better be out of your seat, taking that child out of the dining area. If not, I WILL complain to the Maitre 'D… All my friends who had kids did always remove the kids when they started up. I always thought it was just the correct and polite thing to do.

Edited by slidergirl

XMIL was a definite racist - she could not let one family meal go without commenting on either the India Indians who "have taken over all the 7-11s"...

Not only that, these dudes now have a monopoly on jobs I've coveted since a child - like CEO of a multi-billion-dollar tech company. I can't catch a break! What's the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Edited by pseudoware

X 7 days, X 4 people.

The wait staff have absolutely no authority in the dining room. Decisions like that rest solely with the MaitreD and as I said before, that's a salaried position so by you removing tips, you aren't affecting the ones with the power to do anything about it. That's like demanding the receptionist be fired when the doctor diagnoses you wrong.

The wait staff have absolutely no authority in the dining room. Decisions like that rest solely with the MaitreD and as I said before, that's a salaried position so by you removing tips, you aren't affecting the ones with the power to do anything about it. That's like demanding the receptionist be fired when the doctor diagnoses you wrong.

You are right -- but some people like to have any excuse to save a few dollars by removing the service charge.

X 7 days, X 4 people.

So one crying baby during one meal and you withhold all tips for the week from everyone in your party? Compassion and mercy on display....or not.

And don't give any story of the same baby crying at your same dining venue every night....if that is the case then I suggest you buy a lotto ticket ASAP!

If the values and beliefs you are maintaining are racist and/or bigoted, yes. For example, I could not stand to have dinner with my ex-in-laws. XMIL was a definite racist - she could not let one family meal go without commenting on either the India Indians who "have taken over all the 7-11s" or how we need to get rid of all the Mexicans (who have taken all our low-wage jobs), or why doesn't anyone speak English anymore at the local Subway, or why doesn't Italy get rid of all those Africans, the LDS Church is right to not allow children of gay couples to be baptized, etc. There is no way I could sit through a dinner on a cruise ship with this type of "pensioner." Now, a pensioner who engaged in polite conversation regarding what we saw that day, or other mindless chit-chat, I'd be happy to sit with them (if I actually wanted to sit with anyone).

Back OT: If the child let out a scream, be it happy or sad, once is OK. Second time, I'd be shooting arrows in your direction. Third time, you have better be out of your seat, taking that child out of the dining area. If not, I WILL complain to the Maitre 'D… All my friends who had kids did always remove the kids when they started up. I always thought it was just the correct and polite thing to do.

Really? So you don't have a favorite band? A favorite color? A favorite food? A favorite drink? Because if you do, then you're a bigot. And 70% of what people call racist these days has nothing to do with racism.

It's funny what you consider racism yourself based on your examples. Most 7-11s are being run by foreigners. I see no problem with that but it IS a factual statement. As for not speaking English, how is that racism? Lot's of white people don't speak English either. I've been to Italy, never saw many blacks there except for the Americans stationed there. And yes, a PRIVATE church should have the right to choose who it wants as it's parishioners, especially those they refuse to conform to their teachings. Why would you think a private institution should not have that right?

Personally, I wouldn't want to sit through dinner with you if all you're going to talk about is how great gays are or how I shouldn't be allowed to like one thing over another. :rolleyes:

Edited by Who Cares?