Dining room screaming baby

lprime60

Say what?

He is saying babies should not be allowed in the dining room.

I would not go that far, but given most ships have two dining rooms, I would be confident that they could designate one as a "no baby" dining room. Of course, I would predict most anyone without small kids (i.e. those that bawl) would select that option at booking....more than that dining room could accommodate.......

....so.....

In the spirit of FTTF, Carnival could charge extra to guarantee a table in in the no-baby dining room....thus increasing their profit and making many of you who own their stock (to get the $100 OBC) happy. As the number of available tables in the no-baby dining room decline as the cruise gets booked up...the price goes even higher...just like the desirable cabins. Seems like a win-win-win for all.

And of course "those" parents who fail the see the the impact of their bawling baby will have to suffer other bawling babies...might open their eyes. Yet another win.

And to really jab it to some, those Diamond and Platinum cruisers are not grandfathered in...they have to pay extra as well...another win for some!

Are you listening "Beards"?

Edited by Badfinger

I don't really understand the comments about not taking babies of toddlers on cruises. I think it's the prefect holiday for a young family. We have just taken our 22 month old daughter on her first cruise and we all had a lovely time. It was relaxing for us as we didn't have to cook or clean an left us free to just enjoy quality time with our daughter. We would never cruise without her, she is our family, where we go, she goes. In addition she has a complex heart condition so leaving her with others is not an option. I cannot understand how anyone could go away without their child/ren for longer than a night or two.

We took her to the main dining room every night of the cruise, except one when we all went to a speciality restaurant. We were not comfortable leaving her with the kids staff, although excellent, there were too many issues with her health to hand that responsibly to someone else. We came prepared with a bag of tricks to entertain and she was great. In fact people on several surrounding tables came up and commented on how good she was. I will say that wait staff did engage with her a lot and played with her often so might well have generated some laughing but it appeared not to cause an issue.

In any situation, if people apply some sense there shouldn't been too many issues. I don't think it's necessary to remove babies from cruises all together for everyone to have a good time!

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking kids, toddlers and babies on a cruise.

We did it when our oldest was 5. We left his baby brother home because we were not comfortable leaving him with the child care as a baby.

People love babies and children, until they start throwing temper tantrums and acting out. That's when I, as a parent would leave a restaurant, or activity so as not to disrupt other's enjoyment. Too many parents ignore their screaming children thinking "it will stop", but that disturbs everyone else around you. I think that's the issue people are complaining about here. The children who get ignored in hopes that their behavior will stop. I completely agree that if people apply some sense there shouldn't be many issues.

Why not just publish in the Cruise Contract Rules of the Main Dining Room (MDR)? ALSO put them on a large poster sign at the entrance. With the bottom line on the poster being. Carnival has the right to refuse service to anyone violating these rules. OF COURSE the Maitre'd and other staff needs to ENFORCE these rules (which they don't). This would also include enforcing the dress code especially on formal night.

Edited by iahawkize

While I definitely agree that if a child gets overly loud the parent should take them out of the dining room I'm appalled at the notion that they shouldn't be allowed in to begin with. To me that's far more selfish than many of you are claiming the parents are. It's a company geared towards all families not just yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really understand the comments about not taking babies of toddlers on cruises. I think it's the prefect holiday for a young family. We have just taken our 22 month old daughter on her first cruise and we all had a lovely time. It was relaxing for us as we didn't have to cook or clean an left us free to just enjoy quality time with our daughter. We would never cruise without her, she is our family, where we go, she goes. In addition she has a complex heart condition so leaving her with others is not an option. I cannot understand how anyone could go away without their child/ren for longer than a night or two.

We took her to the main dining room every night of the cruise, except one when we all went to a speciality restaurant. We were not comfortable leaving her with the kids staff, although excellent, there were too many issues with her health to hand that responsibly to someone else. We came prepared with a bag of tricks to entertain and she was great. In fact people on several surrounding tables came up and commented on how good she was. I will say that wait staff did engage with her a lot and played with her often so might well have generated some laughing but it appeared not to cause an issue.

In any situation, if people apply some sense there shouldn't been too many issues. I don't think it's necessary to remove babies from cruises all together for everyone to have a good time!

My hubby was reluctant to take our girl on a cruise...but we finally decided to take a 3-day cruise when she was 23 months of age...and we didn't regret it at all. She stayed with us at all times and it turned out she didn't fuss at all (even though we were prepared to remove her from the MDR or the theater). I've seen many babies and toddlers on cruises and never thought they didn't belong there. It is up to us parents to make sure to take them out when they are unhappy. Doing so isn't rewarding them...if they need a nap in a quiet room or changing or whatever, keeping them in the dining room isn't benefiting them or anyone else.

If it is true what they say about that ship there are many more problems than a screaming baby:eek:

LOL...yes, seen the programmes, met the cruisers...but it's my turn to choose, after OH has had his Caribbean fix (somewhere I return to most reluctantly..:(), and it's Iceland from Newcastle, so either Marco Polo or Balmoral...I can cope! ;)

There should not be an age limit in dining rooms - but there should be limits on inappropriate conduct. A screaming baby should not be inflicted on fellow diners any more than an obscenely swearing drunk - or any offensive loudmouth, for that matter. I think it's great to see children of all ages in a dining room - but their parents should be willing to quickly terminate their meals if their young impose on others around them.

My guess is that the subject of the OP thinks their tot(s) are all perfectly well behaved and would be offended if anyone suggested otherwise. Some folks have a real alternate reality.

As far as "everyone liking babies", that is not necessarily true. Just like with adults, I take it on a case by case basis. I love my niece now, but as a baby, she was VERY hard to be around. I think she screamed non-stop for the first 6 years of her life. And there are some venues that it is just unfair to expect even relatively well behaved babies to tolerate every time, and theaters and finer dining may be among those places.

Has anyone read a thread here where a parent/relative said their kid was a terror and ridiculously disruptive in the MDR? Most families think their kids are sweet, darling and no bother to anyone. I seriously believe many parents have learned to tune out their crying/fussing kids and are oblivious when they are disturbing people around them.

Has anyone read a thread here where a parent/relative said their kid was a terror and ridiculously disruptive in the MDR? Most families think their kids are sweet, darling and no bother to anyone. I seriously believe many parents have learned to tune out their crying/fussing kids and are oblivious when they are disturbing people around them.

My kid was never a terror in the dining room, but there were a couple of I times when he started getting fussy so we did take turns getting up and walking outside the dining room with him. That said, if he randomly screamed once every 10-20 minutes, that would be much more difficult to deal with because you wouldn't know when it was coming and by the time you hears it and were acting to deal with it, it would be over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, the parents of kids who are disruptive in the dining room are pretty much oblivious to the behavior and thusly they are........

wait for it.........

wait...........

wait for it.........

bad parents.

Well my kids were 4 and 7 when we started sailing so they were well behaved in the MDR by that age. I can't say the same for our friends kids who sailed with us on our first 2 cruises and were the same age our 2 kids. While my kids could sit through a long meal they just could not and to make it worse their parents excused their behavior instead of correcting it. Not something I would allow in my kids at that age which is why they had no problem sitting through a long meal. Having said that, when my DS was a baby/toddler we could take him anywhere. I never had a scene with him in any restaurant. I made sure he had food if he was hungry, if he needed changing I changed him, and I just didn't take him out if he was sick. Those were the only reasons he ever cried. If he was tired, he just fell asleep anywhere. DD was a different story. She cried all the time from the time she was born until the time she could talk....then she didn't stop talking. Needless to say we rarely took her out anywhere those first couple of years, especially a sit down restaurant. I wouldn't want to subject anyone to her crying. When I did get in a position where I had to go out with her, like to the grocery store, we tried to make it as quick as possible. If she started crying it was get to the check out lane and get out of there because there would be no getting her to stop. That was my job as a parent. It was inconvenient at times, but the less I subjected others to her crying the better and she was too young to discipline and correct the poor behavior at that time.

If we were cruising when our kids were infants/toddlers, I would have had no problems taking DS. I would not have taken DD on a cruise. Kids have there own temperament and some can handle it and some can not. The parents should use their best judgment in discerning that. Having said that if they feel their child can handle it and take them, then they need to be responsible for their child's behavior and remove them if they make scene that cannot be resolved quickly. However, I have to say after reading OP's posts I'm not sure the child they were complaining about was really making a scene. An occasional squeal of happiness from a child does not a scene make and IMHO does not require removal of the child.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Well, the parents of kids who are disruptive in the dining room are pretty much oblivious to the behavior and thusly they are........

wait for it.........

wait...........

wait for it.........

bad parents.

Judgemental? Yes.

But totally appropriate, and certainly preferable to the lack of judgement shown by parents who inflict disruptive progeny on others.

I don't really understand parents who don't handle their babies. Maybe it's just me but if I'm in a public place and my baby starts crying I want to remove her to calm her down when you can solely focus on calming her down and not what's going on around her. I will say that I'm really lucky to only have a baby who cries if she's in pain or overtired and if she's overtired I wouldn't bring her their to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just returned from a cruise and there was a screaming baby that I heard from way across the dining room. Yes, you can asked to be moved to another table but you can still hear the screaming baby. A crying baby is just as bad when they are loud, I just don't understand why parent's will not get up and remove the baby, at least until they have soothed them. Have you heard a screaming baby across the dining room, I have and it is ridiculous when the parents sit there and act like nothing is wrong and everyone is staring at them.

I just returned from a cruise and there was a screaming baby that I heard from way across the dining room. Yes, you can asked to be moved to another table but you can still hear the screaming baby. A crying baby is just as bad when they are loud, I just don't understand why parent's will not get up and remove the baby, at least until they have soothed them. Have you heard a screaming baby across the dining room, I have and it is ridiculous when the parents sit there and act like nothing is wrong and everyone is staring at them.

See post #139. Then you'll understand.

8 pages and in pretty sure it has been established that "some" parents are simply inconsiderate, clueless and most certainly are deaf and dumb when it comes to their precious little darlings!

Oh and the rules of common curtesy don't apply to them because they and their darlings are "special"

Do I have that right?? Ok I feel better now!

Edited by JVilleGal

wait for it.........

wait...........

wait for it.........

bad parents.

Yeah...I wonder what generation raised and set the example for all these bad parents we have today.

Yeah...I wonder what generation raised and set the example for all these bad parents we have today.

We're into the third generation of such. There is no hope of recovery. The current one has the added detriment of being born with a cel-phone in their hand.

Edited by luddite

I'm telling you Carnival could cash in on this...designate one of the dining rooms a baby/kid free dining room and charge extra. If folks pay $60 to get on the boat early, what would they pay for 13-14 chances (assuming they open both for breakfast/brunch) to eat in a dining room free of any kids? $50....$75...$100 per cabin? Now all they need is a catchy slogan! No crying dining? Eat in Peace? The Silent Feedbag?

Ok - I'm a parent, but not of a young child (our youngest is 14) but given the comments here, I feel the need to chip in.

While I can see that no one REALLY wants to listen to a screaming kid in the dining room, I'm sure sure that includes the parents. It's been a while but I still remember the hassle of trying to enjoy a family break. They've probably worked hard to be able to afford the cruise and are trying to make the most of it. Taking a kid away for an occasional squeal would be absurd. There's far worse you could be sat next to at the dinner table - smokers (the stale smoke doesn't magically disappear), racist pensioners, etc. The MDR isn't meant to be a library - there should be a bit of noise if folk are enjoying themselves.

Most of the cruises I've been on (and I don't list them all here) have had lots of kids, but they've been kept entertained by great kids clubs during the day and early evenings - didn't see most of them unless there was a pool event on.

I've found the worst for inappropriate noise are the older audience that sit during the shows - chatting to their hard of hearing pals constantly. Or bitching about the bands between songs.

Last off, just to say you'd probably better get used to family cruising, it's a growing market that the cruise companies are going to go after.