World Cruise

yorky57

Thinking of splashing out on a World Cruise in 2017 or 2018 but don't want to pay a massive single supplement. Does anyone have any recommendations please? Thanks!

Find a friend. Ask if they want to take a cruise. Be sure to clarify who's paying for what.

Will this be your very first cruise? If so, I strongly advise you to take a shorter cruise before booking a world cruise for over 100 days. What if you don't like cruising? You'll be stuck on a ship for months, possibly being miserable.

You won't find a world cruise that gives much of a break on single supplements. Crystal does a world cruise, and I believe their cheapest cabins will have a 175% single supplement, but their base fares aren't bargains. The least expensive cabin on Crystal for their 2016, 102 day, world cruise is around $37,000, plus the single supplement---and Crystal strictly limits the number of solos on their world cruises, so you have to book early so as not to get stuck with the full 200% supplement. Crystal's 2017 world cruise is only 94 days with the fare being around $44,000 if booked after Dec, 2015. Other lines will have 190% to 200% single supplements.

Edited by kitty9

Thinking of splashing out on a World Cruise in 2017 or 2018 but don't want to pay a massive single supplement. Does anyone have any recommendations please? Thanks!

Crystal offers some of the best single supplements out there - not cheap (it's a luxury, mostly-all-inclusive line), but the percentage supplement is only about 30%.

I'd forgotten one world cruise...Cruise and Maritime are having their first worldie in Jan 2017, but from Tilbury, not Southampton like all the other lines. Prices seem to start at £9,000. It's with their most recent ship, Magellan.

Hope you manage to find something...enjoy searching! :cool:

Cunard charges 175% for solos except in the Grills (suites).

Holland America charges 150-165% solo for inside and oceanview cabins.

If you are happy traveling by yourself, wait a year or two, save your money and go solo. I did a world cruise solo last year and it was really nice having the cabin all to myself. I'm not sure I would have liked anybody I know as much if I had to spend 100+ days with them in a small cabin.

Cunard charges 175% for solos except in the Grills (suites).

Holland America charges 150-165% solo for inside and oceanview cabins.

If you are happy traveling by yourself, wait a year or two, save your money and go solo. I did a world cruise solo last year and it was really nice having the cabin all to myself. I'm not sure I would have liked anybody I know as much if I had to spend 100+ days with them in a small cabin.

On our 2012 world cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. Two ladies who were our table mates, they were sharing a room. Into the cruise they found out they can't stand each other, one lady went home early. So yes, sometime it's best to have your own cabin.

How are you Scrapnana? Where to next?

Hugs

M

Edited by Porthopper101