Drink prices on the Eclipse

jeno

We are on the Eclipse TA from Southampton to Miami. I was totally floored by the wine and drink prices. For example a martini is 14.50, the wine I selected was $52 a bottle (they were out of it), but most others were not much less, a Diet Coke is $4, measly Bloody Mary with no lime, olives, pickle or celery is $9 etc, etc. I later realized the tip is included in those prices, which makes it a little better. The Martini Flight is $22 and I'm just about positive it was $15 or $16 in spring.

I guess I do understand the including of tips for this cruise as many of the Brits seem to fight the tips. Our table mates have gone to great lengths telling us how they removed their tips because Celebrity should pay their help more.

Will the total prices go down after this cruise is over or are these the new prices? Just wondering how all this will work with the drink package limits.

Thoughts?

Can't answer to your drink price question, but we'll soon know as we're on the cruise after yours. We have a drink package and plan to upgrade once aboard so really it's not an issue for us. We've sailed out of Southampton before and the numbers worked out the same either way.

What stood out to me in your post was your comment about tipping - your table mates bragging about removing their tips because they think the staff should be paid more.

They KNEW the deal when they signed up for this cruise. This is how the cruise ship runs. So they must have signed up, boarded the ship, all the while knowing they would not tip the staff, while expecting to be served and waited on, and their cabin cleaned, etc. People just figure in the gratuities as part of the cruise fare. That's how it goes.

If they believe the staff is underpaid, how does NOT paying them help the situation??? I wonder if your table mates believe they're smarter and more enlightened than the rest of us, and that by not paying their tips they're going to singlehandedly change a system that works. I do hope they reconsider and I certainly hope they don't complain about one single thing this last week. The staff works even harder on a TA I would imagine.

Have a great rest of your week.

People just figure in the gratuities as part of the cruise fare. That's how it goes.

If they believe the staff is underpaid, how does NOT paying them help the situation???

I agree that withholding tips does not address the issue of staff relying on gratuities to have a decent income.

However "that's how it goes" may be true in the US, but that's a far from universal model of remunerating staff in service industries. In fact, globally it's almost certainly a minority model. That's why beverage charges are 18% or so higher in cruises from Southampton, because in British culture, tipping bar staff is the exception, and in restaurants the norm would be nearer 10%. That's how it goes.

Stuart

I agree that withholding tips does not address the issue of staff relying on gratuities to have a decent income.

However "that's how it goes" may be true in the US, but that's a far from universal model of remunerating staff in service industries. In fact, globally it's almost certainly a minority model. That's why beverage charges are 18% or so higher in cruises from Southampton, because in British culture, tipping bar staff is the exception, and in restaurants the norm would be nearer 10%. That's how it goes.

Stuart

What happens on UK sailings, is the drink prices are increased to cover the tips (its a requirement of the Consumer Protection laws there, that displayed prices must be "all-in"), i.e. drink prices go up because the staff is paid a fair wage. At the same time the limit of drink packages are increased accordingly. That is in the US Premium package limit is $13 plus 18% gratuity. In the UK Premium package is $14.50 inclusive of gratuity (which is actually a deal, since it would be $15.34 if the normal 18% was added).

Also in the UK, your beer that costs 5.00GBP, costs $5.00 USD in the US, using today's conversion rate, your beer should be 3.32 GBP, but since staff are paid a normal wage and don't rely on tips, the prices of your beers are commensurately higher.

Staff do get a gratuity payment for all drinks they serve, even if under a drinks package, or if using captains club drink vouchers - it's handled internally. I know this because our server on a Transatlantic asked us to give her all our unused vouchers, as she could get credit, she said they were as good as a cash tip to her.

It's a great way to show clearly what happens when people say we don't want to add a tip, just pay your staff appropriately. Prices go up.

Also in the UK, your beer that costs 5.00GBP, costs $5.00 USD in the US, using today's conversion rate, your beer should be 3.32 GBP, but since staff are paid a normal wage and don't rely on tips, the prices of your beers are commensurately higher.

You must drink exclusively in London. £5 for a beer is very expensive in a bar. I pay about £2.50 - £3 a pint, no tip expected.

Can't answer to your drink price question, but we'll soon know as we're on the cruise after yours. We have a drink package and plan to upgrade once aboard so really it's not an issue for us. We've sailed out of Southampton before and the numbers worked out the same either way.

What stood out to me in your post was your comment about tipping - your table mates bragging about removing their tips because they think the staff should be paid more.

They KNEW the deal when they signed up for this cruise. This is how the cruise ship runs. So they must have signed up, boarded the ship, all the while knowing they would not tip the staff, while expecting to be served and waited on, and their cabin cleaned, etc. People just figure in the gratuities as part of the cruise fare. That's how it goes.

If they believe the staff is underpaid, how does NOT paying them help the situation??? I wonder if your table mates believe they're smarter and more enlightened than the rest of us, and that by not paying their tips they're going to singlehandedly change a system that works. I do hope they reconsider and I certainly hope they don't complain about one single thing this last week. The staff works even harder on a TA I would imagine.

Have a great rest of your week.

As you know we are on the same cruise as you. We don't cruise out of Southampton as we don't like the attitude of many Brits of removing tips to save money. Don't hold your breath on these individuals reconsidering, it's seen as a badge of honour by many I'm afraid. Honestly if I get anyone bragging about it at my table it's not going to be the best atmosphere that evening.

Our tablemate said something like it said somewhere the tips are "suggested" so they just take them off and give an envelope to room steward and waiter if they do a really good job. That's when he said something like tips are optional but you can't take them off your drinks. Grumbled about that. That's when the lightbulb went on for me that I didn't notice a tip amount added to the higher drink prices so they must be included.

Also, when we boarded in Southampton and found out our 6:00 dinner is now 5:45 I went to ask about changing to select. I was told that if we changed to Select our tips would be nonrefundable, no matter what. That really amazed me that people do that. BTW the new booking onboard we were offered was reduced obc, but included gratuities. That may be one way celebrity is trying to fight this. In fact, the obc was $200 less than we got gor this TA and I think that's about what the gratuities are.

We also are on the Eclipse Caribbean cruise following its TA. We were aboard the same cruise last year and do take exception to the posters who suggest Brits are more likely to cancel the gratuities than others, as on that cruise I asked how many people cancelled their tips and was told the average was about 20%. An interesting point to note is that only 5% of the passengers were Brits the overwhelming majority were North Americans. Pot calling the kettle black comes too mind....

Also interesting to us was that when we booked our cruise, only Select dining was available and the gratuities had to be prepaid. Our waitlist for traditional dining was "magically" cleared as soon as we made final payment. Now I think I have a better understanding of why we had to prepay if there are that many passengers cancelling their gratuities. I simply don't understand passengers who cancel unless the service was dreadful. The staff work long and hard hours and are dependent on tips to earn a living.

By the way, we'll see several of you next week - we are also on the cruise out of Miami on the 16th.

We also are on the Eclipse Caribbean cruise following its TA. We were aboard the same cruise last year and do take exception to the posters who suggest Brits are more likely to cancel the gratuities than others, as on that cruise I asked how many people cancelled their tips and was told the average was about 20%. An interesting point to note is that only 5% of the passengers were Brits the overwhelming majority were North Americans. Pot calling the kettle black comes too mind....

Not that I care, but I really doubt you have any credible basis for your numbers.

Also interesting to us was that when we booked our cruise, only Select dining was available and the gratuities had to be prepaid. Our waitlist for traditional dining was "magically" cleared as soon as we made final payment. Now I think I have a better understanding of why we had to prepay if there are that many passengers cancelling their gratuities. I simply don't understand passengers who cancel unless the service was dreadful. The staff work long and hard hours and are dependent on tips to earn a living.

By the way, we'll see several of you next week - we are also on the cruise out of Miami on the 16th.

Yep, another trick used by many of the Brits is to book traditional where they don't need to prepay gratuities then just turn up for select dining when they get on board, so avoiding the tips. Seen a few brag about that one.

We were invited to a presentation of RCCL cruises by our travel agent. There were some 1st time cruisers there and they asked the RCCL rep about tipping. She stated that tips are optional and if you don't want to pay them, just go to Guest Relations onboard and have them removed. I couldn't believe my ears. This woman worked for the cruise line and was telling people they could remove the tips. So now you can maybe understand why SOME Brits think it's ok to do just that.

Yep, another trick used by many of the Brits is to book traditional where they don't need to prepay gratuities then just turn up for select dining when they get on board, so avoiding the tips. Seen a few brag about that one.

you are quite right about this little loophole.

I was made aware of this by someone from Sacramento which I understand is a hamlet in Strathclyde [emoji32]

Edited by LA_Design

We were invited to a presentation of RCCL cruises by our travel agent. There were some 1st time cruisers there and they asked the RCCL rep about tipping. She stated that tips are optional and if you don't want to pay them, just go to Guest Relations onboard and have them removed. I couldn't believe my ears. This woman worked for the cruise line and was telling people they could remove the tips. So now you can maybe understand why SOME Brits think it's ok to do just that.

No its not SOME any Nationality

It is OK for anyone to remove the gratuities , otherwise Celebrity wouldn't allow it .

Edited by LA_Design

Not that I care, but I really doubt you have any credible basis for your numbers.

I totally agree with this, how does anyone know the numbers - except GR. Given my experience of the staff on GR i doubt they could do the calculations without referring it to Miami. Very much doubt that they would transmit the results .

I have great doubts about this .

Please can someone from the UK explain how one can see someone brag about a subject. [emoji32]

I suspect that a cruisist recognising the pro-tipping diners / tipping police at the table would throw this in for a bit of 'sport'🤓

If one wishes to change to select dining from trad onboard then the grats are auto added from the day select takes effect.

Edited by LA_Design

As you know we are on the same cruise as you. We don't cruise out of Southampton as we don't like the attitude of many Brits of removing tips to save money. Don't hold your breath on these individuals reconsidering, it's seen as a badge of honour by many I'm afraid. Honestly if I get anyone bragging about it at my table it's not going to be the best atmosphere that evening.

come and join my table [emoji12]

Well, my Wife and I are 2 Brits who have booked Select for our Eclipse Baltic Cruise and are quite happy to pre-pay our gratuities. When we do book Traditional we have always kept the tips on.

The Brits can defend themselves, I'm sure, though removing tips for hard working employees is really cheap to my mind. But we meet British friends every Christmas on the Eclipse cruise and I have noticed the husband tipping the bartender in the Elite lounge extra every night. So painting the British with a broad brush is as unfair as calling all Americans "ugly"

The Brits can defend themselves, I'm sure, though removing tips for hard working employees is really cheap to my mind. But we meet British friends every Christmas on the Eclipse cruise and I have noticed the husband tipping the bartender in the Elite lounge extra every night. So painting the British with a broad brush is as unfair as calling all Americans "ugly"

I work hard for my employer and in return i enjoy a remuneration to the satisfaction of both parties. the views of customers to my remuneration is irrelevant - and my remuneration is none of their business.

Well, my Wife and I are 2 Brits who have booked Select for our Eclipse Baltic Cruise and are quite happy to pre-pay our gratuities. When we do book Traditional we have always kept the tips on.

As are we of course, sadly thought there are a good number who don't share our views. Take a look at any thread on tipping on any forum and look at the nationality of the majority who remove gratuities. On another cruise site mainly used by Brits they asked for feedback on the removal of gratuities and around 95% stated they removed them. I took a lot of abuse including being called " a stupid Yank" because I disagreed with the practice.

I think it is the cultural difference as to how tipping works on either side of the Atlantic. I may be wrong but I think in the US a very large part of a server's income is made up of tips. In the UK most income would be made up in their direct wage with tips just seen as a bonus. UK passengers will think it is the responsibility of the employer to pay its' staff appropriately while US passengers are well used to making this payment direct to the staff. As this is an US ship UK passengers need to understand more fully how the staff are paid and then decide if tipping is appropriate (which it clearly is).