New to royal

txgranny

We are looking at liberty of the sea nx yr for 4 and have only cruised on carnival, however after this last cruise on freedom we are DONE w the walmart of the seas. My main question is the extra costs for food, like what is actually included? Does royal offer drink packages for alcohol? Are the activities like rock climbing and ice skating free? Thanks in advance

Yes the offer drink packages. They have upcharge restaurants but you don't have to go. Rock Climbing, Flow Rider, Ice Skating (I think) are all free. They usually offer Flow Rider lessons for a fee. Essentially on most ships all you pay extra for are drinks and upcharge restaurants. Some ships like Oasis charge for usasge of the Steam Bath, etc. in the Spa. I think it's free on Liberty though (not sure). Of course normal Spa services are for a fee. There is free ice cream somewhere on the ship.

We are looking at liberty of the sea nx yr for 4 and have only cruised on carnival, however after this last cruise on freedom we are DONE w the walmart of the seas. My main question is the extra costs for food, like what is actually included? Does royal offer drink packages for alcohol? Are the activities like rock climbing and ice skating free? Thanks in advance

Rock climbing, ice skating are all free.

Royal has several drink packages available and each person in the cabin can get a different package or none at all.

Specialty restaurants are not included but there are plenty of free options.

Coffee, tea, milk, chocolate milk, OJ from concentrate, flavoured waters, iced tea and lemonade are all free.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

My main question is the extra costs for food, like what is actually included?

Like Carnival, they have the Main Dining Room, My Time Dining, and a buffet called the Windjammer. All are complimentary. They also have pay venues, Chops and either Giovanni's or Portofino.

Does royal offer drink packages for alcohol?

Yes.

Are the activities like rock climbing and ice skating free? Thanks in advance

Yes

Edited by Big_G

Additionally, I believe Liberty of the Seas is going into dry dock in February 2016 so it will have Giovanni's and the Sabor Mexican restaurant. It will also have water slides added.

Edited by Big_G

May I ask what you didn't like about the Freedom? I will be sailing it in January and have not been on this ship.

I sail on Royal, Carnival and NCL and think they are pretty similar. There are things I like and don't like about all of these lines.

Thank you all, so on carnival they have guts burgers n blue iguana taco plus pizza n deli are all free, does liberty offer several different non fee based venues as well besides buffet ?

There's Cafe Promenade (sandwiches, cookies, etc) and Sorrento's (pizza) which are both free, but Johnny Rockets (burgers) has a surcharge - $5 or $6pp I believe, milkshakes are extra.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

In regards to freedom, the food was the worst i have ever experienced on any carnival ship, guys burgers on triumph were awesome on freedom inedible. Mdr w new menu on each night i barely found something i wanted which is rare as i usually have a hard time deciding and the desserts were terrible except warm chocolate melting cake no more bitter n blanc no more grand Marnier souffle and service was awful. The balcony room was fine but first time steward didn't do twice a day on most days, only had 1 towel animal which was disappointing for my 3yr old grandson. There was stains on bedding so asked to please change, they just flipped the bedding over. Entertainment was a joke no more live band and it was something i'd expect to see at jr high musical. Sea days not much to do and i have always found something to do on other cruise. But mainly it was the rude n obnoxious ppl on the ship that sealed the deal for me, besides all the cutbacks i just can't see spending my money on a cruise line that continues to charge more and provide less. We still had a good vacation as its what you make of it, we were just so disappointed in this ship.

In regards to freedom, the food was the worst i have ever experienced on any carnival ship, guys burgers on triumph were awesome on freedom inedible. Mdr w new menu on each night i barely found something i wanted which is rare as i usually have a hard time deciding and the desserts were terrible except warm chocolate melting cake no more bitter n blanc no more grand Marnier souffle and service was awful. The balcony room was fine but first time steward didn't do twice a day on most days, only had 1 towel animal which was disappointing for my 3yr old grandson. There was stains on bedding so asked to please change, they just flipped the bedding over. Entertainment was a joke no more live band and it was something i'd expect to see at jr high musical. Sea days not much to do and i have always found something to do on other cruise. But mainly it was the rude n obnoxious ppl on the ship that sealed the deal for me, besides all the cutbacks i just can't see spending my money on a cruise line that continues to charge more and provide less. We still had a good vacation as its what you make of it, we were just so disappointed in this ship.

I have not tried the new menu and didn't know it was on this ship. It will be interesting to me to try it as I am bored with the old menu.

I'm not understanding. In the first post I thought you were "done" with Carnival after sailing Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, but in a later post post it seems like you were unhappy with Freedom. If you weren't happy with Freedom, I'm not sure you'll like Liberty. They are the same class ship and virtually identical.

Sorry if I'm just misunderstanding.

Edited by emory2001

Years ago I read a blog that said RCI ships were broader in width which made them seem more spacious and less crowded. For some reason, that thought has stayed with me, and I think it's a keen observation. (Let me say that I have no earthly idea if it's true or not. We've only been on two Carnival cruises and both ships were small and old.)

OH! I didn't realize Carnival has a Freedom. That is confusing! I feel much better knowing Royal's Freedom wasn't the problem. :D

Both the Carnival Liberty and RCI's Liberty of the Seas will be in port in Galveston at the same time. Cab drivers should have fun with that!

We are also new to Royal, after cruising twice on Princess (not unhappy, just exploring new things). In fact we are sailing again on princess in November next year.

But we are considering a 12 day on Anthem of the Seas, and so read this thread with interest. There are several added amusements on Anthem, including the I Fly, bumper cars, and that big crane arm thingy. Do all of these (and maybe other things I am not aware of) come with a price to ride?

Thanks

Don

We are also new to Royal, after cruising twice on Princess (not unhappy, just exploring new things). In fact we are sailing again on princess in November next year.

But we are considering a 12 day on Anthem of the Seas, and so read this thread with interest. There are several added amusements on Anthem, including the I Fly, bumper cars, and that big crane arm thingy. Do all of these (and maybe other things I am not aware of) come with a price to ride?

Thanks

Don

Yes, they are all included.

May I ask what you didn't like about the Freedom? I will be sailing it in January and have not been on this ship.

I sail on Royal, Carnival and NCL and think they are pretty similar. There are things I like and don't like about all of these lines.

We were on carnival,fredom of the seas. Great cruise, good food, nice and clean, have no fears it is a good ship. As long as you have the cruise like we sailed on and not the original poster.

We just got off carnival freedom yesterday and like i said we had fun but for those who are not first time cruisers we noticed all the cutbacks w nothing added to take their place and therefore to continue to pay more money for less doesn't add up to me, it appears royal offers much more for the same price.

We just got off carnival freedom yesterday and like i said we had fun but for those who are not first time cruisers we noticed all the cutbacks w nothing added to take their place and therefore to continue to pay more money for less doesn't add up to me, it appears royal offers much more for the same price.

Same price, I am paying double on Royal compared to Carnival, and I better see the difference or never again.

You will find much to like on RCCL.

But my best tip is....ask! Never hesitate to ask for anything you may like or require, they will do their best to get it for you. This includes asking the Windjammer staff to freshly grill a hamburger patty for you. They usually sit out for a bit and this makes them rather rubbery. Just ask for a fresh one.

I once read someone on here complain about watery tea in Windjammer...I had to laugh, when you can get a fresh one anytime. You can even serve yourself, or ask an attendant to get you a fresh one.

This goes for room service too...you are not limited to just the room service menu...we have ordered MDR items as well.

As said, Johnny Rockets has really good old fashioned greesy burgers for an upcharge, but not much.

If you go after February, you can try Sabor's, really good unique Mexican cochina, freshly handmade guacamole...mmmm! Upcharge for this but worth it. Keep in mind almost all the upcharge restaurants have cheaper prices for lunch and you can get discounted reservations on the first day.

We'll be on Liberty in April for the 3rd time. Love her.

Edited by BecciBoo

Same price, I am paying double on Royal compared to Carnival, and I better see the difference or never again.

I never understand this kind of statement. I think you are just not familiar with the pricing on RCCL and are used to Carnival's system.

When people say that on here, I can usually price out the same cruise they are on for less than Carnival or only slightly more.

You have to look around and wait for deals.

Frankly, it only took one cruise with Carnival to eliminate them. Different strokes for different folks....

Edited by BecciBoo