Taking food from the buffet to your cabin

Valen9

One of the things I like to do in the afternoon is to go to the buffet, grab some fruit and cheese (or other snacky things) and have a little picnic on the balcony. I've also done this at breakfast time if the place is a zoo and I can't find a place to sit and eat.

But I've read that NCL is trying to keep people from taking food to their cabins. Has anyone had trouble with this recently?

I'm not fond if the idea that NCL is instituting this policy in order to force folks to spend $8 for their delivery service -- but it's the explanation that seems to make the most sense to me.

One of the things I like to do in the afternoon is to go to the buffet, grab some fruit and cheese (or other snacky things) and have a little picnic on the balcony. I've also done this at breakfast time if the place is a zoo and I can't find a place to sit and eat.

But I've read that NCL is trying to keep people from taking food to their cabins. Has anyone had trouble with this recently?

I'm not fond if the idea that NCL is instituting this policy in order to force folks to spend $8 for their delivery service -- but it's the explanation that seems to make the most sense to me.

That restriction on taking food back to the cabin didn't last very long before NCL changed the policy back to allowing food from buffet and restaurants to be taken to cabin.

Got a No on asking the hostess for takeout at O'Sheehans on the first revenue cruise of Escape. Not sure why.

I hope for some reason this was only on the first revenue cruise, and that Del Rio isn't going down that path yet again...... :confused:

Am I the only person who finds it rude to refer to someone by only their last name? Would anyone like it if they were referred to that way? Initials work (FDR) or Mr. Del Rio but just his last name...not so much. Rant over.....

Edited by watchdiva

Am I the only person who finds it rude to refer to someone by only their last name? Would anyone like it if they were referred to that way? Initials work (FDR) or Mr. Del Rio but just his last name...not so much. Rant over.....

You must have never played sports.

What I find rude is is dragging a thread off topic by insulting a poster for no good reason.

Oh my, here we go again: an attempt to stir the pot!!! The simple answer to your question: What you hearing is not true. You can bring food from the buffet to your cabin.

Oh, as for O'SHeehan's; off and on for years some of the ships from time to time, for some reason have not allowed food to be taken out. It seems to be a hit or miss thing.

Edited by newmexicoNita

I hope for some reason this was only on the first revenue cruise, and that Del Rio isn't going down that path yet again...... :confused:

Ditto here, more things weren't in place for that cruise (as always with those short tasters on new builds), mini bar locked, no pool towels supplied, no ship pin, that sort of things. Nothing big but the no on the takeout question came unexpected. :)

I was recently on the Dawn and was allowed to get take-out from Blue Lagoon, just not the soup (safety issue). I would recommend getting your take-out from the buffet, only because I had an issue with take-out from Blue Lagoon.

They use REAL plates in Blue Lagoon and I was taking a breakfast plate back to DH in the cabin. I was waiting at the elevator with his food and someone lost their footing and crashed into me sideways (15 foot sea and 35 mph winds coming back from Bermuda). Needless to say, the food went flying and the plate broke. I felt terrible about it and helped the staff clean it up (there was a cabin steward who saw it happen). If I had gotten the food at the buffet, the plate wouldn't have broken as they use plastic plates.

Got a No on asking the hostess for takeout at O'Sheehans on the first revenue cruise of Escape. Not sure why.

By, "takeout" do you mean an order "to go" or were you refused on a request to carryout leftovers? Takeout, to me, is completely different from being seated, ordering, eating, and then boxing up your leftovers to go back to the cabin or elsewhere.

I don't know that "to go" orders have ever been allowed in any venue on NCL. Taking out leftovers, yes. Boxing up dessert when you are too full, yes. Going to buffet, filling own plate, and walking out with it, yes. Calling down to O'Sheehans and ordering a box of wings and fries to go, probably not.

I have gotten take out wings from O'Sheehans on more than 1 ship. On the Gem twice have gotten wings and brought them down to the atrium for a bunch of us to have during football games and on the Breakaway a few nights we got wings to go with no sauce because they got soggy before we got them back to our cabin to eat while sitting on the balcony. So yes you can get late night wings to go in O'Sheehans,

I have gotten take out wings from O'Sheehans on more than 1 ship. On the Gem twice have gotten wings and brought them down to the atrium for a bunch of us to have during football games and on the Breakaway a few nights we got wings to go with no sauce because they got soggy before we got them back to our cabin to eat while sitting on the balcony. So yes you can get late night wings to go in O'Sheehans,

So, it sounds like "to go" orders at O'Sheehans are allowed, at least on some ships. Will have to keep this in mind on our next cruise. But maybe it explains the slow service there at times. They are busy handling all the take out orders;).

So, it sounds like "to go" orders at O'Sheehans are allowed, at least on some ships. Will have to keep this in mind on our next cruise. But maybe it explains the slow service there at times. They are busy handling all the take out orders;).

It was on the Getaway in September. Several times while we eating there, we saw people come in, order, and they would box it up (in one of those white styrofoam boxes) and off they would go. We especially paid attention to this as our son is planning on doing the same on the Escape if his toddler is asleep during meal or snack time.

Edited by LadySpoilt

Yes.

By, "takeout" do you mean an order "to go" or were you refused on a request to carryout leftovers? Takeout, to me, is completely different from being seated, ordering, eating, and then boxing up your leftovers to go back to the cabin or elsewhere.

I don't know that "to go" orders have ever been allowed in any venue on NCL. Taking out leftovers, yes. Boxing up dessert when you are too full, yes. Going to buffet, filling own plate, and walking out with it, yes. Calling down to O'Sheehans and ordering a box of wings and fries to go, probably not.

To go order, have read stories of boxes but was expecting the room service style lids/covers. Wanted just a few snacks.

Kind of the same as the Haven perk, only DIY. :)

Might have been misunderstood by the hostess, must book another cruise on Escape to try again. ;)

Edited by FreestyleNovice

To go order, have read stories of boxes but was expecting the room service style lids/covers. Wanted just a few snacks.

Kind of the same as the Haven perk, only DIY. :)

Might have been misunderstood by the hostess, must book another cruise on Escape to try again. ;)

When I got "to go" on the Dawn from Blue Lagoon, it was packaged like room service, with a plastic lid on it.

I've gone to places like Blue Lagoon and told them that I wanted to take the food back to my cabin. They delivered it to me either covered with plastic wrap or with the plastic plate cover.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm glad to know that we'll be able to eat in our rooms if we want to.

I'm fine with being the only one who finds certain things rude. That's what makes us all different, yes?

Famous people are often referred to by just their last name: Churchill, Lincoln, Kennedy, Reagan, Obama ...

And so are people held in contempt: Hitler, Stalin, etc.

CEOs are often referred to the same way: Buffet, Jobs, Gates.

So referring to Mr. Frank Del Rio as "Del Rio" isn't necessarily a sign of disrespect. Most of the disrespecting done here is pretty much out in the open.

On the Escape TA, a friend was not allowed to bring her Cagney's dessert back to her cabin. At my table, one of us couldn't finish our meal, and asked for it to go and they packaged it up, so definitely hit and miss.

No takeout allowed from O'Sheehan's though. I used to do that, especially when I travelled alone, as I'd often skip dinner and want to head back to my cabin with a bite, not have a half hour ordeal at a sit down restaurant at 1:00 AM while alone.