Yes or no. Do you like the new "evening chic" dress code?

A Sixth?

"evening chic" yes or no....  

1,052 members have voted

1. 1. "evening chic" yes or no....

• Yes, a move forward
    • No, hate the idea.
    • Don't care

Resounding yes on getting rid of formal nights. I wear a suit daily and it is the last thing I want to wear on vacation. Thank goodness Celebrity and HAL have eliminated this remant of the past. For those who wish to wear a tux or suit, go for it. Glad I won't be joining you.

Resounding yes on getting rid of formal nights. I wear a suit daily and it is the last thing I want to wear on vacation. Thank goodness Celebrity and HAL have eliminated this remant of the past. For those who wish to wear a tux or suit, go for it. Glad I won't be joining you.

Agree-I cringe when I see a man in a tux.

How uncomfortable.

How uncomfortable.

No tux, suit or shirt and tie is uncomfortable if it's properly fitted. Men who complain about wearing them need to get a good tailor (or not try to squeeze into clothes they wore thirty years ago ;))

How uncomfortable.

Well you will cringe if you are on the Eclipse next July with me pal because I will definitely be wearing my Italian ' designer ' tux / dress suit on what were the old formal nights !

Also it appears I am a cruising freak of nature as I can comfortably fit into the same size clothes as I did age 20 - which is 41 years ago .

I have read several times on here that some people consider a tux / dress suit to be an outdated item of clothing worn by sad old wrinkly types . Really ? Is that not one being worn by Daniel Craig in the latest Bond films ? How come they are on display and for sale in all the top menswear shops and on websites everywhere ? How come Hugo Boss , Calvin Klein , Ralph Lauren etc all design and sell dress suits / tuxedos ? Type in tuxedo on google and see what appears .....

Over here in the UK the dress suit will always be worn at ' black tie ' functions and at many special occasions and parties particularly at this time of year . A designer dress suit is an essential part of every discerning guys wardrobe and when worn with a crisp shirt , silk tie , nice watch and a decent pair of shoes is in my opinion - and my wife's ( and that is the one that matters ) the epitomy of ' cool ' .

In the words of ZZ TOP - ' IS EVERY GIRL CRAZY 'BOUT A SHARP DRESSED MAN ' .

I have read several times on here that some people consider a tux / dress suit to be an outdated item of clothing worn by sad old wrinkly types . Really ? Is that not one being worn by Daniel Craig in the latest Bond films ? How come they are on display and for sale in all the top menswear shops and on websites everywhere ? How come Hugo Boss , Calvin Klein , Ralph Lauren etc all design and sell dress suits / tuxedos ? Type in tuxedo on google and see what appears .....

Over here in the UK the dress suit will always be worn at ' black tie ' functions and at many special occasions and parties particularly at this time of year . A designer dress suit is an essential part of every discerning guys wardrobe and when worn with a crisp shirt , silk tie , nice watch and a decent pair of shoes is in my opinion - and my wife's ( and that is the one that matters ) the epitomy of ' cool ' .

And long may you continue to look the epitome of cool :). Everything you say above is true ..... but ..... and we are older than you (slightly!) and from the UK also, but wearing formal stuff on VACATION (or holiday to us, lol) is just not what we want to do. Thank heavens for the change - you can continue to emulate James Bond and we can continue just to 'dress up a bit' without feeling that we are contravening some 'rules' ;)

Edited by mrsgoggins

And long may you continue to look the epitome of cool :). Everything you say above is true ..... but ..... and we are older than you (slightly!) and from the UK also, but wearing formal stuff on VACATION (or holiday to us, lol) is just not what we want to do. Thank heavens for the change - you can continue to emulate James Bond and we can continue just to 'dress up a bit' without feeling that we are contravening some 'rules' ;)

Agreed . People treat their cruise experience differently . For us it is an escape from everyday life of work , kids and school and the chance to wear the best clothes in our wardrobe and fine dine etc . For others it is a ' vacation ' and no different than say 2 weeks in Majorca . Each to their own .....

I have no problem with this .

Incidentally if we ever meet mines a Vespa Martini , shaken not stirred ....

No tux, suit or shirt and tie is uncomfortable if it's properly fitted. Men who complain about wearing them need to get a good tailor (or not try to squeeze into clothes they wore thirty years ago ;))

I agree, some people male and female refuse to purchase well fitting dress clothes- or for that matter well fitting clothes. We are all getting older and our bodies have changed- we need new clothes every few years. If you shop wisely you can get really good values at the end of each season.

I agree, some people male and female refuse to purchase well fitting dress clothes- or for that matter well fitting clothes. We are all getting older and our bodies have changed- we need new clothes every few years. If you shop wisely you can get really good values at the end of each season.

I will also add that some don't dress age appropriate. Women of a certain age should not wear a plunging neckline. Cleavage does have an expiration date. Men shouldn't be exposing their cleavage either. I don't need to see the scar from the triple bypass surgery.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Andrew, I agree with you. It's quite common on CC to read about how dressing formal is "outdated", or read things like "It's good to see Celebrity joining the 21st century", but this idea is a complete misconception. As a general rule institutions (whether it be churches, cruise ships, restaurants, and even employers) are certainly getting more lax as far as enforcing dress codes, but if you look at fashion trends, formal attire is much more popular with the younger generation than it has been since probably the early 20th century. I would never call anyone old, but it's comical to me that many of the people complaining that dress codes are antiquated are members of the baby boomer generation (IE not exactly young folk). This generation has had the biggest impact on the relaxation of dress codes, and this is probably the market Celebrity is catering to, but fashion changes with each generation and as Generation X and Y get older and start cruising in larger numbers, suits and tuxes may see a comeback on (what used to be) formal nights. I don't expect a return to "formal night" as it was in the 1920's, 30's or 40's, but as a general rule fashion trends ebb and flow so we'll see what happens in the future....

I can still dress up on these nights. Maybe I'm generalizing, but I suspect the women passengers appreciate formal nights more than the men do. And nothing is preventing us from dragging out our fancy (well-fitting) little black dress on these nights. Men's suits are difficult to pack, particularly in these times when luggage is both limited and expensive. To me, this change is really no big deal.

Edited by printingchick

I can still dress up on these nights. Maybe I'm generalizing, but I suspect the women passengers appreciate formal nights more than the men do. And nothing is preventing us from dragging out our fancy (well-fitting) little black dress on these nights. Men's suits are difficult to pack, particularly in these times when luggage is both limited and expensive. To me, this change is really no big deal.

Printingchick, you're absolutely right. No one is telling us we can no longer dress up, and as others have pointed out previously, Celebrity didn't always enforce the old dress code anyway, so this really is no big deal.

Well you will cringe if you are on the Eclipse next July with me pal because I will definitely be wearing my Italian ' designer ' tux / dress suit on what were the old formal nights !

Also it appears I am a cruising freak of nature as I can comfortably fit into the same size clothes as I did age 20 - which is 41 years ago .

Couldn't agree more Andrew. We're also on the Eclipse in July (17th) and since we are sailing from Southampton, probably with a large British contingent it will be interesting to note how many dress suits are worn on the Evening Chic nights.

We will be going on our 17th cruise in February, a 14 day cruise onboard the Eclipse to the southern Caribbean. There should be 4 "formal " nights. It is so nice to dress up once in a while and the title of the dress code will not change that. It is unfortunate that there has never been any enforcement on any cruise line that I have ever been on. Last year on the Reflection, we waited patiently to enter the main dining room on two formal nights and witnessed several men and women entering wearing very casual jeans and t-shirts. No one said a word to them as they were ushered in to their tables. I think that our group and those around us felt more awkward witnessing this. And yes, we too are baby boomers.

We will be going on our 17th cruise in February, a 14 day cruise onboard the Eclipse to the southern Caribbean. There should be 4 "formal " nights. It is so nice to dress up once in a while and the title of the dress code will not change that. It is unfortunate that there has never been any enforcement on any cruise line that I have ever been on. Last year on the Reflection, we waited patiently to enter the main dining room on two formal nights and witnessed several men and women entering wearing very casual jeans and t-shirts. No one said a word to them as they were ushered in to their tables. I think that our group and those around us felt more awkward witnessing this. And yes, we too are baby boomers.

14 day cruises would have two "Chic" nights. Before there were three formals.

And have no fear, Abel emphasized: One of the most popular formal night traditions isn't going anywhere -- lobster will still be available on the menu on all evening chic nights.

Evening chic nights will be offered twice on sailings of seven nights or longer. They will roll out to the fleet, except onboard Celebrity Xpedition, on all sailings beginning on or after December 4.

--By Dori Saltzman, Editor

http://www.apple.com/ca/mac-mini/

Edited by A Sixth?

Andrew, I agree with you. It's quite common on CC to read about how dressing formal is "outdated", or read things like "It's good to see Celebrity joining the 21st century", but this idea is a complete misconception. As a general rule institutions (whether it be churches, cruise ships, restaurants, and even employers) are certainly getting more lax as far as enforcing dress codes, but if you look at fashion trends, formal attire is much more popular with the younger generation than it has been since probably the early 20th century. I would never call anyone old, but it's comical to me that many of the people complaining that dress codes are antiquated are members of the baby boomer generation (IE not exactly young folk). This generation has had the biggest impact on the relaxation of dress codes, and this is probably the market Celebrity is catering to, but fashion changes with each generation and as Generation X and Y get older and start cruising in larger numbers, suits and tuxes may see a comeback on (what used to be) formal nights. I don't expect a return to "formal night" as it was in the 1920's, 30's or 40's, but as a general rule fashion trends ebb and flow so we'll see what happens in the future....

Absolutely true.

Not funny , on our Sept Celebrity Cruise had some people that dressed like that and in general very much more casual than on past cruises. It is kind of sad.

I think the policy was changed because people already ignored the dress code and it wasn't inforced in the MDR . I hope it doesn't get worse and still think in the evening, men should wear slacks or a nice pair of Dockers and women should dress in cocktail wear . I don't think any jeans should be worn in MDR ( designer jeans can sometimes have hole in them )

I do agree that not requiring jackets and ties and formal gowns will make for more room in the luggage especially when many of us extend or vacations.

I agree whole heartedly.........I don't think either hubby or I would ever get thrown out of the mdr. We have sailed 45 days with HAL and 14 with X and hubby and I don't even bring jeans along with us. It is common sense to dress up for dinner ( well, at least for some ). Hubby is quite happy not to take a suit but I will dress the same as I did for the last cruises.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read/heard... Just to correct you... I was told I needed a tux in a previous job for social evens... Yes it was made to measure... Yes it was done at a quality tailors... Yes it fitted perfectly... YES Is was and still is one of the most uncomfortable it's of clothing I own...

How on earth can you say it's comfy for everyone to wear... You don't know everyone or how they feel or what makes them comfortable or not so how can you make such a statement... Surely we can only say what WE (ourselves) are truly comfy in...

[emoji57]

It is not my business to say who is comfortable in a suit/tie and who is not. Just as it is absolutely none of my business to bother about whether someone is dressed formal or in a suit. Has no impact whatsoever on our cruise. Simply noise level for us. Too busy enjoying ourselves.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read/heard... Just to correct you... I was told I needed a tux in a previous job for social evens... Yes it was made to measure... Yes it was done at a quality tailors... Yes it fitted perfectly... YES Is was and still is one of the most uncomfortable it's of clothing I own...

How on earth can you say it's comfy for everyone to wear... You don't know everyone or how they feel or what makes them comfortable or not so how can you make such a statement... Surely we can only say what WE (ourselves) are truly comfy in...

[emoji57]

The thing that makes me most uncomfortable would be the fact that I have just wasted a significant amount of money on clothing which I will wear only briefly and makes me feel ridiculous no matter how well it fits.

A very big vote YES!

Now, let's get real for all those who say "IF THEY ENFORCE IT...." There will be NO enforcement whatsoever, simply because there is NO SUCH THING as "evening chic". It doesn't exist. It's simply a term. People all have different standards of dress, and will now wear what they want, sans coat & tie. I don't particularly care what others wear.

Eggs act lee. And the new term is just for marketing purposes. For the purpose of attracting a different brand of consumer for their product. As for me, I will continue to wear what I choose, and not be concerned about others. And what I choose to wear is usually wearing the dresses and bling that I don't get to wear to work or play at home. DH no longer brings the tux, but still likes a suit or sportcoat and tie to dinner. Then we often go back to the cabin and change for later fun.

Amazing how this forum exerts so much energy onto this topic. First world complaints!!

I don't need to see the scar from the triple bypass surgery.

Among all of the strong and serious opinions offered up, pro and con, on the dress code/standards debate, this above line is very funny. Agree that seeing that scar from a triple-bypass surgery should not be too openly displayed. Cute and honest!!

Notice that the "poll" is getting nearly 60% agreeing. Interesting!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,978 views for this posting.