Will RCCL ever build a bigger ship than an Oasis class ship?

Isn't that what Royal is hoping for, keeping people on the ship, spending money on board instead of in port.

I doubt that would be a popular cruise...just sailing out into the ocean and "bobbing" around for a few days.....and then returning to the same port...No thanks.

A larger class than Oasis would be much too limiting on port accessibility.

I would hope RCI would (and probably will) consider building a class of ships between the Freedom & Radiance class.

They already do--Voyager class.

Sorry I should have said a combination of Oasis & Radiance...so more on the size of ROS with many of the Oasis features.....Maybe I'm not making this clear :o

Okay people don't jump on the "ROS" could either mean Rhapsody of the Seas or Radiance of the Seas ...... :D Just Joking!!! The Voyager Class is my favorite class!!!

Okay people don't jump on the "ROS" could either mean Rhapsody of the Seas or Radiance of the Seas ...... :D Just Joking!!! The Voyager Class is my favorite class!!!

Again sorry for any confusion...I thought my post referenced Radiance not Rhapsody....guess at this point I shouldn't assume any one knows or cares what I'm talking about ;)

Just like people never thought a ship the size of Oasis would ever be built or popular, I'm sure 30+ years from now there will be ships sailing much larger than her, to ports that are built to accommodate ships of her size.

While Oasis class is alone at the top end of cruise ships, compared to cargo ships and tankers, she isn't alone, so there are many ports that can accommodate ships of this size, though not necessarily scenic or desired destinations. To build ports that can accommodate larger ships requires a significant investment in infrastructure, which I don't think the cruise lines would be willing to make, and which would be difficult sells to the municipalities.

While it is possible to build larger ships, I don't think the size inflation curve will continue as it has. It may be quite some time before a ship larger than Oasis is contemplated.

I wouldn't be surprised, but this will be the progression:

1) RCCL buys 2-6 more private Isl. / Private ports

2) RCCL starts offering "exclusive" itineraries that go to these private ports which all offer unlimited food/drink (they might charge a fee per day)

3) RCCL will build a ship bigger than the oasis class ships.

4) Slowly, RCCL will reduce the number of non-affiliated ports that any itinerary visits down to one or two.

You'll note that 4 will be the justification for doing 1, 2, and 3.

Edited by Diplomacy

I personally like the Oasis class size. I didn't feel crowded at all. And there was so much to do on sea days, But they could always cram people in more like sardines...I mean Carnival has their next class of ships approaching Oasis class PAX numbers, but with less ship space

I personally like the Oasis class size. I didn't feel crowded at all. And there was so much to do on sea days, But they could always cram people in more like sardines...I mean Carnival has their next class of ships approaching Oasis class PAX numbers, but with less ship space

I thought I read that Carnival's next class of ship would be slightly larger than RCI's Oasis class. I think the first one debuts in 2018 (or was it 2020)?

RCI will naturally have to build bigger to get back the title of "World's Largest Cruiseship".

I have to be honest with all of you, when the building of the Oasis of the Seas was announced I said I would never go on a ship of that size. Guess what we are booked on the Harmony of the Seas next year. Never say never.

I thought I read that Carnival's next class of ship would be slightly larger than RCI's Oasis class. I think the first one debuts in 2018 (or was it 2020)?

RCI will naturally have to build bigger to get back the title of "World's Largest Cruiseship".

Nope, they are building ships for their Aida line that will have more passengers but are smaller in every noticeable category than the Oasis class.