No more free WOW bands on Anthem

Dave85

Going to guest services isn't exactly how they did it. There was a table set up across from guest services in the corridor that was selling them... So assuming they stick with that plan, you won't have to actually wait on the guest services line.

And were people actually on line to buy them?

I'd certainly try them if they were free, but my Cruise Critic lanyard and hole in the normal card has worked fine up to now, and I'm sure it will continue to.

Edited by MisterBill99

I'd certainly try them if they were free, but my Cruise Critic lanyard and hole in the normal card has worked fine up to now, and I'm sure it will continue to.

Yes, there were people waiting on line to buy them in the hours following embarkation. Very short to no lines by the first evening.

I read on another thread that the cards on Anthem won't work with a hole punched in them. I have no idea whether this is true.

Having the separate table was a smart thing to do. Guest services was a mess today as there was computer troubles that slowed embarkation to the point that muster and sail away had to be delayed. They now have a surplus of those in cabin wow band holders that are placed in the cabin on embarkation day. It is a little bit finicky with the door reader but otherwise handy to have. They have a few colors availble and all of them have the muster station printed on them and will only give one that has your muster station on it. Junior suites and above receive them in cabin on the bed in the holder.

I read on another thread that the cards on Anthem won't work with a hole punched in them. I have no idea whether this is true.

It depends on where you punch the hole - if you stay away from the embedded electronics, you'd be OK. For ships that use RFID cards, one should use a clear plastic type pouch lanyard instead punching a hole in the card.

I'm going to guess that many passengers were not using them, which equates to lots of wasted WOWbands and $$$. Not sure why they couldn't just offer them free for everyone, but require you to pick them up somewhere, and thus weeding out those that won't use them. Maybe there are other reasons.

Just like this thread, if it were free you'd then have people complaining why can't they give it to me at check-in, or leave it in the room as at present.

You'd certainly reduce the take-up, but you'd still get complaints about that approach.

It depends on where you punch the hole - if you stay away from the embedded electronics, you'd be OK. For ships that use RFID cards, one should use a clear plastic type pouch lanyard instead punching a hole in the card.

That was the point about Anthem.

Going to guest services isn't exactly how they did it. There was a table set up across from guest services in the corridor that was selling them... So assuming they stick with that plan, you won't have to actually wait on the guest services line.

I was hoping they did it that way. Maybe a lot of people did not us them. Charging for them off sets the cost and reduces number of unused bands.

Just off Anthem we had bands in our room, in a Spa Junior Suite. Had to have one reprogrammed when to table by Guest services reset quick and efficient not a lone wait. We were told they were give to all suite cabins. DH loved it never had to take it off if he could reach the scanned mine would have clashed with my jewelry so i always had my card. DH really liked his but he is a watch guy:D

Yeah, I'd be surprised if punching a hole anywhere breaks the whole card, it's probably just a chip somewhere, same as on the new chipped credit cards. It's just a matter of being smart enough to know where to put the hole. Hopefully they know at guest services.

Now, if they have been refusing to punch holes because of this and expecting people to use the bands instead, and now they're charging for those, THAT I have a problem with.

I was hoping they did it that way. Maybe a lot of people did not us them. Charging for them off sets the cost and reduces number of unused bands.

Just requiring people to go get them would also reduce the number of unused bands without pissing people off over the perceived nickel and diming.

Don't know about the Anthem but punching a hole on the Quantum card destroyed the integrity of the card and made it unusable. I had to go to guest services to get a replacement card and they confirmed if you punched a hole anywhere on the card it would no longer work. I bring a hole punch with me and have punched holes on many a cruise card without issue. I also had a very difficult time trying to punch a hole through the card to begin with. The material that the card is made of is totally different from those of other cruise key cards.

Just off the Anthem. FYI, I took my old Quantum WOW bands and had them reprogrammed quickly at a table set up outside of the Guest Services area and there was NO charge. So if ya still have them and your going on the Anthem bring them with you.:)

Just off the Anthem. FYI, I took my old Quantum WOW bands and had them reprogrammed quickly at a table set up outside of the Guest Services area and there was NO charge. So if ya still have them and your going on the Anthem bring them with you.:)

This is great information - THANK YOU for taking the time to confirm this... Anthem in 25 days! :)

I had to go to guest services to get a replacement card and they confirmed if you punched a hole anywhere on the card it would no longer work.

Not quite true. The card has a very thin wire running mostly on the edge of the card that is the antenna (and the chip toward the lower middle). Most people punch the hole in the top left or right of the card and cut this wire. If you punch the hole at the bottom of the card or more in the middle (further away from the edge) you'll probably miss that wire and would be fine.

You could get friendly with the security guy running the xray machine which checks your stuff coming back on the ship and ask him to show you the xray scan of the card to know where to punch the hole while staying away from the electronics.

Edited by Biker19

Not quite true. The card has a very thin wire running mostly on the edge of the card that is the antenna (and the chip toward the lower middle). Most people punch the hole in the top left or right of the card and cut this wire. If you punch the hole at the bottom of the card or more in the middle (further away from the edge) you'll probably miss that wire and would be fine.

You could get friendly with the security guy running the xray machine which checks your stuff coming back on the ship and ask him to show you the xray scan of the card to know where to punch the hole while staying away from the electronics.

Thanks for the technical info. My question is, will Guest Services still punch a hole for you, or are they refusing because of the issues? Presumably if they do it, they know where to punch to avoid damaging the card.

Not getting a WOW band was not a big deal for me since I've always been happy using my CC lanyard with hole punched in the card. If we're being told that we can't do that AND have to pay for a WOW band, I'm much more upset about the change.

Edited by MisterBill99

I saw a passenger with a hole punched in the card. .it was in the picture of the North Star on the arm. About a inch in. The loop is about 1/2 inch away from the edge

That's a safe spot to punch the hole. I xrayed my Quantum seapass card and the chip is in the upper right corner with loop as you mentioned. Basically, you are safe punching a hole anywhere on the card more than 3/4 inch away from the edge.

I doubt guest services will want to punch the hole for you - they don't want to take a chance to mess it up.

• 1 month later...

Despite the earlier advice in this thread that this applies only to Anthem, it turns out that this charge and change in policy has also been roled out to Quantum as of the past few weeks.

It was actually pretty amazing how many changes have been introduced, without notice or warning in the past few weeks, about 5 off the top of my head. Some were even still notified as included onboard and then when you tried to collect, you faced an argument in trying to actually collect the offer. From a policy perspective this was very poorly done.

• 4 weeks later...
Are WOW Bands still free for suites as stated below?

Guests in Suites (Junior Suites and above) will continue to receive the WOWBands in their staterooms at no charge.

We were in a Spa Jr Suite on Jan 3rd and Jan 15th sailings and we did receive Wow bands on both cruises.

Despite the earlier advice in this thread that this applies only to Anthem, it turns out that this charge and change in policy has also been roled out to Quantum as of the past few weeks.

It was actually pretty amazing how many changes have been introduced, without notice or warning in the past few weeks, about 5 off the top of my head. Some were even still notified as included onboard and then when you tried to collect, you faced an argument in trying to actually collect the offer. From a policy perspective this was very poorly done.

Can you elaborate?