No more free WOW bands on Anthem

Dave85

How things go in cycles.

When announced there was going to be a charge for these, $2 as I recall, with extras also available.

Then they changed and said they'd be issued free.

And now we're back to a charge. I wouldn't be surprised if people were taking them for free, but not actually using them. Hence this is just cost control.

How things go in cycles.

When announced there was going to be a charge for these, $2 as I recall, with extras also available.

Then they changed and said they'd be issued free.

And now we're back to a charge. I wouldn't be surprised if people were taking them for free, but not actually using them. Hence this is just cost control.

If that's the case- maybe they should have gone with "you CAN request them for free at guest services", instead of having them laid out in your stateroom. Then only people who wanted to use them would get them. I cannot see paying any money for them so that it makes my buying things easier on the cruise. Getting into the room would be a nice feature, but I refuse to pay any money for it.

If that's the case- maybe they should have gone with "you CAN request them for free at guest services", instead of having them laid out in your stateroom.

Guest Services was already an absolute zoo for the first few days of our TA. I was very grateful that we had no reason to wait on those lines.

Guest Services was already an absolute zoo for the first few days of our TA. I was very grateful that we had no reason to wait on those lines.

I totally understand!! But it sounds as though you now need to wait in the line to get them-- I was just suggesting that they give them for free to those who wait, as opposed to charging to those who wait.

I totally understand!! But it sounds as though you now need to wait in the line to get them-- I was just suggesting that they give them for free to those who wait, as opposed to charging to those who wait.

Understood. I wasn't disagreeing with the "free" concept, just pointing out that GS is a zoo. Free or not, they need to find a way that doesn't involve GS to get them; that will just add to the craziness there the first few days.

Understood. I wasn't disagreeing with the "free" concept, just pointing out that GS is a zoo. Free or not, they need to find a way that doesn't involve GS to get them; that will just add to the craziness there the first few days.

I think we're saying the same thing: THIS IS A DUMB IDEA!!!

So what exactly does the WOW band do other than unlock your door? Is it like Disney where you can charge etc with it?

For example if I have the pop package and I go flowriding can they read my band at the bar to give me my pop? I'd rather not have to keep my room card in my pocket while I ride. Can I buy a coffee at Starbucks or purchase something at one of the stores? My DW usually gets the Royal Replentish package, which like to pop package, has the sticker on the card. I wonder if this will be transferred onto the WOW band.

Thanks for the input from those that have used the WOW band before. I loved the Disney version, I have a suspicion that RC won't be up to the same level. I hope I am wrong.

I wonder whether I can take my old ones with me and get the reprogrammed... ("old ones" from the "pre fee aera").

steamboats

Yes, you can (or that's what royal is saying, anyway).

So what exactly does the WOW band do other than unlock your door? Is it like Disney where you can charge etc with it?

For example if I have the pop package and I go flowriding can they read my band at the bar to give me my pop? I'd rather not have to keep my room card in my pocket while I ride. Can I buy a coffee at Starbucks or purchase something at one of the stores? My DW usually gets the Royal Replentish package, which like to pop package, has the sticker on the card. I wonder if this will be transferred onto the WOW band.

yes, you can charge to your room with it, and unlock your door. it's very similar to the disney magicbands. when i was on quantum last year you still had to show your card for the drink packages, though - they were not programmed onto the band.

fwiw, i found it much lighter and more comfortable than the magicbands.

also, you are supposed to be able to buy them at the gift shops, so no need to stand in line at guest services. it sounds like passengers on the current cruise did need to get them at GS, though.

Yes, you can (or that's what royal is saying, anyway).

yes, you can charge to your room with it, and unlock your door. it's very similar to the disney magicbands. when i was on quantum last year you still had to show your card for the drink packages, though - they were not programmed onto the band.

fwiw, i found it much lighter and more comfortable than the magicbands.

also, you are supposed to be able to buy them at the gift shops, so no need to stand in line at guest services. it sounds like passengers on the current cruise did need to get them at GS, though.

Thanks for the info. It sucks about needing the room card for getting drinks from any package. I would think that the wow band would be safe to wear on the flowrider, as the magic bands were weather proof. They do look thinner compared to Disney's version.

Thanks for the info. It sucks about needing the room card for getting drinks from any package. I would think that the wow band would be safe to wear on the flowrider, as the magic bands were weather proof. They do look thinner compared to Disney's version.

The WOW bands are waterproof. We were on the Anthem TA; the bands were most useful if you were in water or at the gym, as well as for opening your cabin door, particularly if you had things in your hands.

But RCI hasn't fully commited to the technology, since servers in restaurants and theatres, as well as bartenders, don't have readers for them (or for the cards), so you still have to take them off and hand them over (same as with a card).

The bands are rubber, and at times I found mine a little clammy. Still useful, though, but not as useful as if RCI made it possible to use them everywhere on board without having to take them off.

While I respectfully disagree with RCI's decision to charge for the bands and think if they more fully committed to them (i.e. Portable terminals for every server), they would pay for themselves (with accelerated adaption, increased revenue and more detailed data on guest patterns and flow), I have two specific issues with the way they went about doing this:

- The change in policy should not have applied to guest already booked, or at the very least, to those already paid-in-full and past the payment due date.

- As the bands are marketed as a guest convenience, there should have been an option, put in place in advance, to pre-purchase the bands and have them waiting for you in your stateroom (as they were when they were included at no extra cost), so you would not have to be inconvenienced by possibly having to wait in a long line to purchase them.

It just feels like the move was so poorly thought out.

This is just my opinion.

While I respectfully disagree with RCI's decision to charge for the bands and think if they more fully committed to them (i.e. Portable terminals for every server), they would pay for themselves (with accelerated adaption, increased revenue and more detailed data on guest patterns and flow), I have two specific issues with the way they went about doing this:

- The change in policy should not have applied to guest already booked, or at the very least, to those already paid-in-full and past the payment due date.

- As the bands are marketed as a guest convenience, there should have been an option, put in place in advance, to pre-purchase the bands and have them waiting for you in your stateroom (as they were when they were included at no extra cost), so you would not have to be inconvenienced by possibly having to wait in a long line to purchase them.

It just feels like the move was so poorly thought out.

This is just my opinion.

Where is the like button. Had the same thoughts.

Although I do not intend to book RCCL's large ships in future years, my opinion:

Just another method to get more and more money from the passenger.

Especially from RCCL I have the impression that they're just about profit, profit, profit... $$$$$$$$$$

All the niceties, used to be free, are now available at extra charge, or fully removed - or even not available:

-no more Sushi in Windjammer Café --> go to Izumi and pay for it

-no bread-basket in MDR with different kinds - waiter is coming around, and you get ONE piece of bread

-no Cranberry juice for Breakfast --> others offer

Just to name some examples... :rolleyes:

Although I do not intend to book RCCL's large ships in future years, my opinion:

Just another method to get more and more money from the passenger.

Especially from RCCL I have the impression that they're just about profit, profit, profit... $$$$$$$$$$

All the niceties, used to be free, are now available at extra charge, or fully removed - or even not available:

-no bread-basket in MDR with different kinds - waiter is coming around, and you get ONE piece of bread

Just to name some examples... :rolleyes:

I don't disagree about the quest for more $$$.

However, I had sushi in the windjammer and more than 1 roll option and serving. Don't know about the juice.

When you say they can be reused' date=' are you referring to the ship can reuse them if passengers turn them in? I don't see how they can be reused by passengers who take them home. How can you reuse them for another cruise when they have a muster station on them.[/quote']

I don't think they'd let cruisers use them from one guest to another. Imagine the hygiene issues, not to mention I wouldn't want to use another person's band.

For example if I have the pop package and I go flowriding can they read my band at the bar to give me my pop? I'd rather not have to keep my room card in my pocket while I ride.

I would suggest unless you have the WOW band in the watch strap style you don't wear it on the Flow rider as you may not see it again!

Even then I wouldn't wear it. Your not allowed to on iFly/Ripcord.

My thoughts on the WoW band: I don't see it being around much longer.

You can just use the seapass. I see no advantage to wearing a WoW band - at all. Kids will lose them. If they're still around in June on Anthem, what's the bet I will find one - or more?

Yes, there´s no cranberry juice for free for breakfast (which I don´t care as it has way too much sugar anyway).

But... there is a bread basket for dinner and you definitely get more than one piece of bread. The selection of rolls hasn´t changed for the last few years.

And sushi was only available on the Voyager class ships in the Jade section of the Windjammer. Other ships never had free sushi.

There are other examples where you can complain about. But actually that´s the same with Celebrity or NCL... They all want to make more money.

steamboats

My thoughts on the WoW band: I don't see it being around much longer.

You can just use the seapass. I see no advantage to wearing a WoW band - at all. Kids will lose them. If they're still around in June on Anthem, what's the bet I will find one - or more?

Why would kids be any more likely to lose a WOW band than a sea pass card? If anything, the band would seem more secure, as it's worn like a watch. The sea pass card is in your pocket, easily lost or misplaced.

My spouse and I found the band very advantageous when swimming or at the gym, and for opening the cabin door, particularly when carrying something.

I have recently read a comment that you can't put a hole in the sea pass cards on the Quantum-class ships, which eliminates carrying them at the end of a lanyard (unless you go the full blown plastic case route). That makes the bands even more advantageous.

Why would kids be any more likely to lose a WOW band than a sea pass card? If anything, the band would seem more secure, as it's worn like a watch. The sea pass card is in your pocket, easily lost or misplaced.

My spouse and I found the band very advantageous when swimming or at the gym, and for opening the cabin door, particularly when carrying something.

I have recently read a comment that you can't put a hole in the sea pass cards on the Quantum-class ships, which eliminates carrying them at the end of a lanyard (unless you go the full blown plastic case route). That makes the bands even more advantageous.

maybe the poster earlier was wrong then, who said the WoW band was easily falling off the wrists of children.

maybe the poster earlier was wrong then, who said the WoW band was easily falling off the wrists of children.

I have a feeling there may be (or may have been) two types of bands --- early cruisers on Anthem said you could go to Guest Services to replace the band left in your stateroom with a watch-like band, so I'm guessing the ones originally left in staterooms were just stretchy, without a buckle. On the recent TA, the ones left in our stateroom were just like watchbands with a buckle:

WOW%20band_zpsisttx0ti.jpg

I have a feeling there may be (or may have been) two types of bands --- early cruisers on Anthem said you could go to Guest Services to replace the band left in your stateroom with a watch-like band, so I'm guessing the ones originally left in staterooms were just stretchy, without a buckle. On the recent TA, the ones left in our stateroom were just like watchbands with a buckle:

Well! That's much better than the blue ones...thanks for sharing! Maybe we'll change our minds and just get them (IF they are like THIS)

On the recent TA, the ones left in our stateroom were just like watchbands with a buckle:

I´ve two of those - one from the Quantum pre inaugural out of Southampton last October and one from the Anthem pre inaugural out of Southampton in April. One has no muster station printed on, the other has. Both are the same type (with buckle) as on the picture.

Both times we had black and white. But there were blue and yellow ones too. They were all the same - with buckle.

steamboats