No more free WOW bands on Anthem

Dave85

I attempted to research the WOW band on Royal Caribbeans site, there is no information about the wow band any more, I wonder if they plan on doing away with it. If not, I would pay the $4 for it, I do like the fact that you don't need to reach in your pocket while juggling 2 cups of coffee in the morning to open your cabin door.

Just an FYI, we boarded Anthem today for her first Caribbean cruise from Bayonne and did not receive WOW bands in our cabin upon embarkation. After our cabin steward informed that he was not given any to hand out this week we inquired at Guest Services and were told that the free WOW bands were discontinued and they are now only for sale for $4.something. Just an FYI! One person so far from the CC roll call still got one in her cabin, but others did not. Odd.

Stunning ship, ready for a great cruise! Haven't decided yet whether to buy a WOW band.

Thanks for the heads up. I this it is ridiculous to charge a fee. I would not pay for them. I will just use my card.

On Quantum they were handy for getting into room without fishing through pockets for keycard, especially with hands full. Also great for kids, no card to misplace. Had to keep a close eye on them at bars though as bartenders would take band when you ordered drink and sometimes had a half dozen identical bands sitting behind bar.

Bothers me to pay $4 for something that had previously been free though. Next it'll be $4 Ripcord, $4 bumper cars, $4 Northstar .....

According to crown & anchor's info, they're still supposed to be free...just spent 10 minutes on the phone with them....so, I would suggest pressing the issue further, or getting your TA on the case....

When the bands were first mentioned last year there was going to be a charge, but they changed their minds......face it, people will use the bands to buy something just to use the band...something that they may not have purchased otherwise....so they'll pay for themselves..

I mean, how much can they cost in the quantities that Royal is buying? 50 cents?? :eek::rolleyes::D:p

According to crown & anchor's info, they're still supposed to be free...just spent 10 minutes on the phone with them....so, I would suggest pressing the issue further, or getting your TA on the case....

When the bands were first mentioned last year there was going to be a charge, but they changed their minds......face it, people will use the bands to buy something just to use the band...something that they may not have purchased otherwise....so they'll pay for themselves..

I mean, how much can they cost in the quantities that Royal is buying? 50 cents?? :eek::rolleyes::D:p

After reading this thread, you are the wind beneath our wings. Thank you for letting us know that the WoW bands are still free of charge.

One interesting thought I had though, regarding having to turn the band over for drinks - we're set I think with our drink packages - but, upon getting a WoW band, we'll be sharpie ready and place our initials on them just in case we do take them off as to avoid mix-ups as described by another poster on here.

After reading this thread, you are the wind beneath our wings. Thank you for letting us know that the WoW bands are still free of charge.

One interesting thought I had though, regarding having to turn the band over for drinks - we're set I think with our drink packages - but, upon getting a WoW band, we'll be sharpie ready and place our initials on them just in case we do take them off as to avoid mix-ups as described by another poster on here.

Or you can just use your card to purchase the drinks to avoid a mix up and headache.

"Wow" indeed. I hope that conandrob24's thought about a missing shipment is accurate. It could be that some people are not using them and Royal decided not to give them to everybody. My techie husband will probably want a band.

I have read that you have to ask for shampoo etc. in cabins below a suite. I guess some people bring their own.

Some people probably bring their own brand of toilet paper. One day in the future we may be asking about the price of a roll.

You most definitely do NOT have to ask for shampoo, etc. regardless of what cabin or stateroom you are in...:rolleyes:

Do people really think call center reps are the best source of info? In my experience in the travel industry, travel call center reps are very poorly informed. These boards are a much more accurate, up-to-date source of information.

I am following friends that are onboard now. We are just off the crossing and the WOW bands were complementary (albeit we did not use them once). Cruisers need to understand that many decisions made on board, by lets say, for example, the HD, shoreside will NOT be aware of. Unless you escalate your call to above CAS (to the right dept), you most likely can not rely on the info obtained. And, it isn't that CAS doesn't want to give you the right info, it is the fact that they have not been updated with information directly from the ship.

Update: WOW bands are now $4.99 per band on Anthem. You need to go to Guest Services to obtain. We personally found no need for them. To make any purchases on board Anthem they need to be removed from your wrist, you can not hold your wrist up to a scanner. We had rather just use our seapass cards. Alternatively, they are great for folks who frequent the gym who maybe do not have pockets to carry a seapass and do not want a card hanging around their neck!!

:)

Edited by CruiseDivaNJ

If they are a charge, I think it is extremely poor that it isn't notated on the Royal website. All the information leading up to the Anthem and its high-techieness. I rememeber reading about how you would receive these bands along with the seapass cards. Says they allow for for one tap to efficiently and quickly allow for purchases, accessing staterooms. They could at least notate they will be a purchase option. If I were people sailing now I would be a bit upset if I had read this for months and then see they want a charge, when absolutely nothing on their website indicates a fee.

The blog for Royal Caribbean in September 2015 also says they are complimentary.

If they are a charge, I think it is extremely poor that it isn't notated on the Royal website. All the information leading up to the Anthem and its high-techieness. I rememeber reading about how you would receive these bands along with the seapass cards. Says they allow for for one tap to efficiently and quickly allow for purchases, accessing staterooms. They could at least notate they will be a purchase option. If I were people sailing now I would be a bit upset if I had read this for months and then see they want a charge, when absolutely nothing on their website indicates a fee.

The blog for Royal Caribbean in September 2015 also says they are complimentary.

I agree. Not that it is going to ruin my vacation - but it was a cool thing I was looking forward to trying out. $10 for the easy access to the room is ridiculous! I really hope they are not going to be nickel and diming the way NCL has gone. That's one of the reasons I cancelled my NCL cruise this coming January and switched to the Anthem. And BTW on my Set Sail pass (just printed 2 days ago) it says that there will be WOW bands in our stateroom.

Edited by mrsbojamp

I agree. Not that it is going to ruin my vacation - but it was a cool thing I was looking forward to trying out. $10 for the easy access to the room is ridiculous! I really hope they are not going to be nickel and diming the way NCL has gone. That's one of the reasons I cancelled my NCL cruise this coming January and switched to the Anthem. And BTW on my Set Sail pass (just printed 2 days ago) it says that there will be WOW bands in our stateroom.

I wouldn't let it ruin it, but I did like the idea of the band. Having used the Magic Bands at Disney I love the concept and it made everything easier. I don't know that I would pay $5 for one or not, unless I knew with certainty that I could then reuse it on another cruise that had the service.

I agree, I think it's crappy to charge for them, and particularly to spring it on people who are booked on cruises and have been told they are free. This is just the nickel and diming stuff over small amounts of money that creates ill will. It's stupid.

I guess those of us on the recent TA had the last "free" WOW bands. Now I feel so special. :rolleyes:

(I did like having it, I must say.)

I agree, I think it's crappy to charge for them, and particularly to spring it on people who are booked on cruises and have been told they are free. This is just the nickel and diming stuff over small amounts of money that creates ill will. It's stupid.

I guess those of us on the recent TA had the last "free" WOW bands. Now I feel so special. :rolleyes:

Sorry we never met on the crossing!!

For those looking at RC's web site, don't, lol. We all know how it isnt updated very well. :)

Unfortunately, these nickel and dime practices are part of an industry trend now and aren't going away.

Things that were once free for sailings are changed or modified suddenly and the website and call centers are the last to be updated.

Norwegian board is hot right now with the possible removal of free/inclusions on their new Escape.

It takes a while for cruise lines, especially with new ships and things, to test things out and see what works best.

I don't blame them, but I do think their communication about it could be handled better.

FWIW, just read a blog entry saying the bands are $4.99 but, to answer my original questions, 1) can be reused on multiple cruises and 2) are included for suite guests. (i did not attach a link because i think it's the blog we can't link to from CC.)

we found them handy for bringing to the pool deck and for opening the door when our hands were full, but even so i can't see paying five bucks for them. if i can dig them up maybe we'll bring our quantum ones to see if they actually work. (we're in a suite so should get new ones, too, but at this point i'll believe it when i see it.) certainly not going to make-or-break our cruise, but the charge just seems like needless nickle-and-diming to me.

I do have to say Disney was on the ball, however Disney as always knows how to go back and make money off of something. They sell little widgets to decorate them with and of course you can always buy additional decorative bands, special edition etc. Clearly they put a super amount of thought into the project and then slowly introduced it into the parks. It made everything hassle free and no worries of carrying around something.

Though again not sure that I would pay $4.99 to get one or not, perhaps. If though in the end they aren't super easy to use then not worth the expense. I still have a long way before sailing, I am sure the practice of them will change multiple times again anyway.

You most definitely do NOT have to ask for shampoo, etc. regardless of what cabin or stateroom you are in...:rolleyes:

Thank you! Read about this more than 1 time. Sometimes it is hard to decipher between fact and fiction.

Yes, Totally agree with you and I think they are nice to have but I just keep thinking all the money I spend for the cruise, specialty restaurant, beverage package, they can't include a $5.00 band for me to use to get into my room or to make purchases on their cruise ship ??? Seems crazy to me. I can't imagine they cost much more to make then the plastic card.