Starting to get worried...is the Ruby that bad?

JRA1708

Hello everyone,

This will be our first cruise with Princess, and we choose to go to Alaska. I have been reading reviews and some aren't so good for the Ruby. I am a seasoned cruiser, but only having sailed with Carnival and Norwegian. I was hoping Princess would be a step up, I have 3 people in my party that this is their first cruise. I don't want them to have awful memories, of toilets not flushing and cabins filling up with water. So are the bad reviews I am reading over blown or not??

Thanks...:rolleyes:

For what its worth, my Mom just got off the Ruby about two weeks ago and LOVED the ship. And she's one cruise away from being Elite with Princes and already has VIP status with a couple of other cruise lines so she's pretty experienced.

Take all the reviews (good and bad) with a grain of salt. We heard bad things about the Caribbean Princess before we boarded her and we love that ship. No issues whatsoever.

We just got off the Ruby on Sunday after doing a 7 day California Coastal cruise. The ship was in great shape, crew terrific, gained 5 pounds so that should tell you how much I enjoyed the food and we didn't hear anyone complaining the few times we were at the passenger services desk.

There are always going to be people who complain about everything. I typically discount the really awful reviews and the over the top wonderful reviews. What is left is typically closer to the truth.

We had a great time and I would not hesitate to sail on the Ruby again.

When we saw the OPs post we went and read quite a few recent Ruby reviews to see what folks are saying about the ship. Last year we spent 25 days on the Rudy and really liked the ship...so we were curious as to what has changed. Some of the reviews seemed unrelated to the ship (i.e. did not like a port), but the negative reviews on plumbing did get our attention. We were never aware of plumbing issues on the Ruby until our last sea day when we were literally kicked out of our Caribe Deck Balcony cabin. DW went to our cabin after breakfast to find it totally flooded, the steward running around trying to vacuum up water and a security officer barring her entrance into the cabin. They never really explained what happened (we suspect the toilet blew back into the cabin, but were immediately told that we had to move. In defense of the staff, they did nearly all the work moving us to a mini-suite on D Deck (a gorgeous cabin).

But other then that plumbing incident and the constant daytime noise on the pool deck from the annoying MUTS (we understand that some folks love all that blasting noise day and night) we loved the ship. We just returned (last week) from 10 days on the new Regal, and personally would choose the Ruby (or another Grand Class ship) over the newer Royal/Regal class.

Hank

Thanks for all the responses so quickly. You know what people say, you only hear the complaints, not the praises. I was hoping this was the case. I am not blind to the fact that some people are harder to please, but toilet back ups with overflowing water would irk me also. We have the Montego Bay aft vista suite booked. Have not heard any complaints about this cabin...fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the responses so quickly. You know what people say, you only hear the complaints, not the praises. I was hoping this was the case. I am not blind to the fact that some people are harder to please, but toilet back ups with overflowing water would irk me also. We have the Montego Bay aft vista suite booked. Have not heard any complaints about this cabin...fingers crossed.

You'll have a lovely time. We were on the Ruby on 4 cruises for a total of 26 days in 2014 - including one in an aft vista suite (whose name escapes me). The vista suites are great especially if you get one on Dolphin deck with the extremely large balcony. No plumbing issues - nor did I personally hear of any.

We were on the Ruby at the end of September and had a wonderful time on a Pacific Coastal. We are also booked on the Ruby in May for an Alaska cruise as well. Ship is in great shape, and is one of our more favorite ships to be on. You have to take the reviews here with a grain of salt. Most of the negative reviews you read on these boards....in my opinion...are not true. We were mainly Carnival cruisers until my wife wanted to try Princess. OUr first cruise ever on Princess was on the Ruby princess, and we absolutely fell in love with Princess. Since then we have been on the Royal, Regal, Caribbean, and Ruby Princess ships....we still love the Ruby

I have not been on the Ruby, but I was on the Crown to Alaska this past July. I must say that it was my LEAST favorite Princess ship FOR ALASKA. It might be fine in a tropical climate, but I disliked the lack of covered pool and the general layout of the Lido deck. It seemed windier and more difficult to navigate than the other ships we've been on. I am rethinking my 2017 Alaska cruise because I am unhappy with the choice of ships out of Seattle.

I was on the Ruby but it was back in January-the word bad could not have been used regarding anything on that ship. I would have used Very good all the way.

No toilet issues for us-maybe we're lucky but it's usually not the toilet's fault-it's the geniuses who put bizarre things down it that they wouldn't do at home...kids stuffed animals and towels for instance (that info I got from a Chief Engineer). The toilets tend to do what they were designed to do.

I would be full of anticipation if I was holding a booking for the Ruby.

Go and enjoy!

Norris

We spent 49 days this year on the Ruby on a South America cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles. I can't see why anyone would complain about that ship! We enjoyed it tremendously.

Any ship will have plumbing issues as those toilets are constantly flushing. We had many flooded cabins on the Caribbean Princess this September. A whole section on Baja deck was flooded when some pipes burst. We were just down the hall but our cabin was perfectly fine. It's the luck of the draw! Go on the Ruby and have a great time!

FWIW, we have been on the Ruby three times in the past year and a half. And we are booked again in January and October of next year. As Bimmer09 stated the word bad, in our opinion, in no way can be associated with the Ruby. And, as Bimmer09 suggested, yes we are "full of anticipation" because we are holding those next two bookings on the Ruby. :cool:

The Ruby is a great ship - we did the Med cruise on her and just this past August did the Inside Passage to Alaska....there is absolutely nothing wrong with this ship and Commodore Romano is the ultimate head of the Princess fleet - he is the very best !!!

Go and enjoy .....

eclue:rolleyes:

Stop telling the newbies how wonderful it will be....the reality will never live up to your descriptions! Let them find the joys of cruising on their own...that's what make memories and makes it special!

Okay, so we did a b2b on Ruby this last September and the pizza crust was way too thin. And we had one of those aft balconies on Riviera (only Ruby has them) on the starboard side under the smoking area and smokers flicked butts and ashes that wound up on our balcony. Not a whole lot but enough to be annoying: nothing like standing at the rail enjoying the wake view and getting hit. Or stepping out in the morning and finding a butt where only sea gull poop belongs. Full disclosure. Otherwise it was fine... ;)

We are sailing on the Ruby to Alaska next summer, too, so I have also been reading the reviews. I take the negative reviews with a grain of salt, especially if the reviewer has zero forum posts and only one review. If they complain about the rain in Alaska, and give the Ruby one star for that, well...how is that fair? I just read one the other day in which the reviewer complained about the trees in Alaska. Yes, really.

Anyway, the Ruby is scheduled for dry dock in December, I believe, so hopefully they will take care of any maintenance issues that need to be done. We are looking forward to our trip!

I was curious to read the reviews since I am currently booked on this ship. I am now seriously considering changing to another ship. There were too many reviews repeating the same problems: plumbing issues, staff issues, anytime dining issues. I'm happy to ignore a few bad reviews, but something is going on here that needs to be corrected.

We have been on the Ruby 7 times in the past three years and it is by far our favorite ship. The service is great, the ship in tip top shape and the food wonderful. We specifically try to book the Ruby because we have such happy memories of our cruises on her. Enjoy your cruise.

Just booked the Ruby Princess. If she's anything like her (Crown Class)sister the Emerald Princess or (Gem Class)cousin the Sapphire Princess, I'm sure we'll be pleased and knowing what to expect.

As for plumbing issues.....Anybody who has cruised enough times has likely experienced them before at one time or another. We've experienced mild issues on a couple of different cruises/lines. Once being the toilet not flushing and the other being no hot water after returning from port. The issues were dealt with in a couple of hours both times. In no way did we let the inconvenience 'ruin' our entire cruise.

As for reviews? (Film critic)Roger Ebert once stated, "In my reviews, I feel it's good to make it clear that I'm not proposing objective truth, but subjective reactions; a review should reflect the immediate experience."

While I may have agreed on his expert opinion for a lot of films, there also are a few films that Roger liked that I thought absolutely stunk (and vice-versa).

Point being that someone's review is merely what they chose to focus on and how they decided to react to it. A lot of the things that people complain about in scathing reviews (ie. "the carpet in the hallway around the elevators looked slightly worn" or "The railing looked like it could use a new coat of varnish" etc. = "the ship looks tired and run down and is in major need of a drydock" -- these statements seem trivial and ridiculous to me.

Was the food generally good? Was the service pleasant? Were the onboard activities entertaining/enriching? Were the fellow passengers friendly and engaging? Did the ship deliver one from point A to Z (and all points in-between) safely and on time?

These are the things that I really focus on and what help contribute to my enjoyment of a cruise.

Am I going to refuse to find something else good to eat, because I can't stand the hockey puck hashbrowns that they serve for breakfast in the Horizon Court? No.

Am I going to freak out if the room steward fails to introduce himself/herself to us in the first hour after embarking and arriving to our cabin? No.

Am I going to blow my top because I have to get up from my deck chair to retrieve a blanket from the station myself to cover up with for an evening of Movie under the Stars? No.

To the OP. We've recently sailed with both NCL and Carnival(having a cruise coming up on the Sunshine in a couple of weeks). If you're an experienced cruiser, my guess is that you'll enjoy(if you choose to) a new experience on Princess - which IMHO(after having both done and read multitudes of reviews) is the best mainstream line to sail Alaska.

The best advice is to stay worried, so you can potentially be relieved in a sort of: 'Expect the worst, Hope for the best' kind of outcome.

Edited by Skai

I was on Ruby for the Vancouver to LA 3 night sailing back in September and had no complaints whatsoever, we had a premium aft balcony and enjoyed the wake view all the way down. We were blessed with whales one morning while having breakfast on our balcony. It was an awesome cruise. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I am going the reverse direction in just over to weeks. This time in a mini suite (couldn't resist for the price we paid). Ruby is a beautiful ship. She is scheduled for dry dock and does need some sprucing up in some areas but over all you will have a memorable time on her. We had impeccable service, wonderful food (especially the Crown Grill - make a reservation asap). I am looking forward to the Crab Shack dinner again as well as the fish & chips lunch at The Wheelhouse Pub.

You know what they say about opinions, right? Form your own, go with the flow and have a great time, Otherwise, whats the point really? I am certain you will enjoy Ruby !!

Wishing you all calm seas and endless sunsets !!

Bryan(truckguy)

Thanks for all the responses so quickly. You know what people say, you only hear the complaints, not the praises...

I did a 4-nighter in September on the Ruby, and found her to be in excellent shape. I am fairly observant and an experienced cruiser. I walked the ship from bow to stern, so had a good look at her. I had a Caribe deck balcony midship, and had no plumbing or HVAC issues, fortunately.

Food was excellent in the MDR, and acceptable in the HC. My steward was excellent also. My only problem on the entire cruise was dealing with a poorly trained CSD staffer over a billing issue. Once a supervisor stepped in, all was quickly resolved.

I hope your cruise on the Ruby is as pleasant (and uneventful) as mine!

Again, thanks everyone for the input. I picked Princess because I did hear it was the best cruise line to sail Alaska, I did consider Celebrity, but I really liked the deal we got with Princess. I greatly enjoyed our cruises on Carnival and Norwegian. Yes, there were some minor glitches, but nothing even worth mentioning. I sailed Alaska already once on the Norwegian Pearl and LOVED it! I wanted to try Princess though, and like I mentioned before, I have 3 people that have never cruised and might never cruise again. I am paying for their adventure, or they could never afford to go. So I want to be sure they get the ultimate experience. Thanks again!