What makes you return to RCI?

Hello Everyone!

I am a college student in California pursuing my Undergraduate's degree in Marketing and I am currently taking a Consumer Behavior course in which I must conduct a Netnography. My group chose to focus on individuals who cruise with Royal Caribbean (I'll be on Allure myself this summer:D) and it would be very helpful if any of you could offer some direct feedback!

Responses to any of the following questions would be highly appreciated.

-Why do you prefer Royal Caribbean over other cruise lines?

-What keeps you coming back?

-Why do you like cruises in general?

-When it comes to vacationing, why do you pick cruises over other options?

-What have your experiences been like?

Feel free to add any other stories regarding your experiences that you think would be helpful in understanding the RCI culture!

I would also be happy to post the final report if anyone was interested in the results of our findings. :)

Thank You!

Hello Everyone!

I am a college student in California pursuing my Undergraduate's degree in Marketing and I am currently taking a Consumer Behavior course in which I must conduct a Netnography. My group chose to focus on individuals who cruise with Royal Caribbean (I'll be on Allure myself this summer:D) and it would be very helpful if any of you could offer some direct feedback!

Feel free to add any other stories regarding your experiences that you think would be helpful in understanding the RCI culture!

I would also be happy to post the final report if anyone was interested in the results of our findings. :)

Thank You!

- We got started with Royal and after 10 cruises have never left them and have no desire to leave them.

- We cruise to see the world without having to go from hotel to hotel and without having to pack and unpack.

- We've had wonderful experiences. We've also met people that will be life long friends from other parts of the world. We meet up with one particular couple every few years to cruise with. We've crossed the Atlantic; we've crossed the South Pacific; we've swam with sharks in Bora Bora; we've been to Europe and the Mediterranean and the Caribbean and Alaska. We're seeing the world and wouldn't have it any other way.

Hello Everyone!

Thank You!

Hi

RCI was our first cruise line and we liked the product which is why we have returned time and time again, we have done 26 cruises with them, we've never considered another line but are thinking of trying Celebrity in the future.

We love cruising as it seems like a home away from home, unpack once and see so many different places.

-Why do you prefer Royal Caribbean over other cruise lines? Initially a better product for the cost, now chasing Diamond status to be honest. Once we reach that level we intend to try other lines. NCL probably at the the top of that list.

-What keeps you coming back? - We still enjoy the product, I think Royal is winning the bells and whistles race against other lines currently.

-Why do you like cruises in general? Value for vacation dollars. I don't think it can be beat. The overall vibe on a cruise ship.

-When it comes to vacationing, why do you pick cruises over other options? I'd answer this the same as the above.

-What have your experiences been like? We've had outstanding cruises and good cruises. We've never had a bad cruise.

-Why do you prefer Royal Caribbean over other cruise lines? Initially a better product for the cost, now chasing Diamond status to be honest. Once we reach that level we intend to try other lines. NCL probably at the the top of that list.

Its a higher class than other lines I have been on.

-What keeps you coming back? - We still enjoy the product, I think Royal is winning the bells and whistles race against other lines currently.

I get great perks and great discounts.

-Why do you like cruises in general? Value for vacation dollars. I don't think it can be beat. The overall vibe on a cruise ship.

I like the feeling of being out of touch with the world.

-When it comes to vacationing, why do you pick cruises over other options? I'd answer this the same as the above.

Back to the fact that I like to be relaxed and get away.

-What have your experiences been like? We've had outstanding cruises and good cruises. We've never had a bad cruise.

Great staff and great service, and well i feel they like their past guest.

We love that you get to see the world without packing and unpacking.

The crew is also helpful and friendly. They make you feel like family when you return to sail on the same ship.

We keep coming back because we like the short trip to the port in Baltimore. We have sailed other lines but do like the product Royal Caribbean offers.

We are Diamond members and like the perks that being Diamond brings.

We just achieved Diamond status and are looking forward to those perks too.

We are loyal to RCI because the cruise line once salvaged our vacation when we missed an embarkation.

Cruising in general? We love the sea and the feeling of being secure in exotic parts of the world.

-Why do you prefer Royal Caribbean over other cruise lines? It was our first cruise line and we fell in love with the product.

-What keeps you coming back? The loyalty program and familiarity with the product.

-Why do you like cruises in general? It is a floating hotel that will take us to multiple places in a short time. It gives you a small taste of other people and places. Cruising also allows us to scuba dive in multiple destinations in a short time.

-When it comes to vacationing, why do you pick cruises over other options? It is easy - one round trip airfare, only one or two hotel reservations, food is included, and the ability to have an active or relaxing vacation, depending on our mood.

-What have your experiences been like? We choose port intensive cruises and have seen wonderful places and had wonderful experiences. As far as Royal Caribbean is concerned, we had great experiences but the cutbacks in the product and services have us booking other lines and actively researching other vacation options. Additionally, we are in our 50's, active and adventurous, and I don't think we are in Royal Caribbean's target demographic at this time - that isn't bad, it just means we need to find a cruise line, or other vacation options, that meets our current needs.

Edited by NemoCrownie

We have cruised 3 different cruiselines but feel Royal is the best match for us. They feature the most entertaining ships, good service, and good food. I like that they are trying to be innovative and are putting out new ships regularly.

The wide variety of activities, entertainment, something for everyone in our cruise group...elementary aged children all the way up to grandparents. Prices are very reasonable if you book early.

I love to be on the ocean. There is nothing like seeing the ocean pass by your balcony or hearing the waves lap the side of the ship. It is so peaceful yet you can go down the hall and experience such adventure and excitement! I like the level of service as it makes me feel like I'm on vacation. As soon as I board I'm on vacation! I like that there is a minimal amount of travel between activities and restaurants...just go up or down a couple of decks! They do a very good job of offering meals for vegetarians. On land, you sometimes I have to hunt them down. My children are hooked on cruising too. Our whole family, and now extended family loves cruises. We can meet up from all around the country to vacation together and make memories. I also like that there is a strong internet community talking about every aspect of cruising. Part of the excitement of a cruise is the planning leading up to. I like to be able to share in the interest of cruising with others who feel the same. Social media and message boards allow me to do this.

I love being on the ocean, the service, food, activties, and price for what is included (if you book early enough/at a good rate).

I've made great memories on cruises, from my first one in 1988 when I was a child, to the ones I have planned for the next year and a half, and all of the ones in between.

Hello Everyone!

Thank You!

1. I love the design and decor of the ships. You can go from bow to stern on any deck without having to change decks. They are more "luxurious" in their decor. The rooms are nicely appointed and comfortable. Royal Caribbean has a better loyalty program. Food and service is as good as any other major cruise line. They have a good variety of activities for all age groups and seem to have more space in the public areas.

2. See #1. The loyalty program is significant. As Diamond Plus we receive a significant cabin discount, and the Happy Hour saves us quite a bit of money on drinks. I also prefer the demographics of the passengers. Seems like a good mix of ages.

3. I'm a "ship junkie." I love ships (spent 20 years in the USCG). I love being at sea. I love the feeling of luxury and the excellent service. I love being able to see a number of different ports without worrying about transportation or packing and unpacking.

4. See #3. Also I feel it's a great value. All your food, transportation, and entertainment is included. I prefer it over an All-Inclusive because a ship changes ports so you see different places with different experiences.

5. My experiences have always been wonderful. Even my "worst cruise" was still fun.

We started with Royal Caribbean and then branched out to Princess and Carnival. We consciously decided that Royal had better ship design, entertainment, and service. We think they are more fun than Princess and unfortunately we got blown-up by Carnival's rock and hip-hop videos on the pool deck. (Hopefully that has changed) We have been sailing a few Celebrity cruises to switch it up and we really liked their S Class ships and service but we still think Royal leads in overall shipboard experience.

The overall shipboard experience, the suite experience, and once we had settled in with Royal, the C&A perks are pretty nice too.

We're from the northeast and love warm weather vacations in winter and we like being at sea.

We tried the all inclusive resort vacation and found it a little boring. It was nice but we like visiting multiple ports.

We've never had a bad cruise in twenty-nine cruises. Our worst cruise was great.

Hello Everyone!

Thank You!

- It was our first cruise experience and we loved it. We strayed on one cruise with Carnival - never again because of the manner in how they changed our dining arrangements without telling us. Also, proof that Carnival really is "the walmart of cruise lines" after seeing people in flipflops and shorts on formal night with the excuse "Carnival doesn't enforce formal night." NEVER AGAIN will we even go there.

- The VALUE and the CLIENTELE who cruise with RCL

- It's an all inclusive package deal, and we like going to sea!

- With cruises, you visit different places on one vacation. With other options, such as Sandals, you're restricted to one resort which is often located in questionable countries and their surroundings. With Sandals, you feel as if you're trapped in a compound.

- Experiences with RCL - outstanding!

Hello Everyone!

Thank You!

We took our first cruise in 1999 and fell in love with the whole concept. We are getting ready for cruise #39, all of which have been on Royal ships with the exception of one cruise on Celebrity. We are open to trying other cruise lines but always seem to choose Royal as we love the ships and have always had a good experience.

We tend to prefer cruises over land vacations for several reasons. One is price, I think cruising can be a great value when you compare the cost of a cruise per person with the cost of hotels, restaurants, etc. Plus, cruising provides a simple way to visit countries/ports that we would probably have never gone to on our own.

For me, cruising provides a great way to relax, there is something about being in the middle of an ocean that is mesmerizing for me. I turn my cell phone off as soon as we leave port and I disconnect from email, etc for the entire cruise, so it is total relaxation. The biggest decision I have to make on a cruise is what to order from a menu.

We have had some great experiences from cruising, from snorkeling in the Caribbean & Hawaii, to hiking in Iceland, to walking on an island with hundreds of penguins in Argentina, to exploring St. Petersburg in Russia; the list could go on and on. Maybe we've been lucky but we've never had a bad cruise. Cruising is a great way to see the world.

Sherri:)

Hello Everyone!

the demographics of the other passengers (not a young party ship yet not a majority elderly ship either we are mid to late 40's so 30's-50's is perfect for us)

What keeps you coming back?

-The biggest reason is the loyalty benefits

1)The balcony discount

2)Our kids inherit and keep our loyalty level, our oldest is emerald, our middle is diamond, and our youngest will make diamond plus before she turns 18. We will stay solely with RCI until we reach diamond plus so that our daughter can enjoy the same benefits we have when and if she starts cruising on her own.

Why do you like cruises in general?

-I like having the variety of destinations in one trip without the need to move hotels to have this option

I like the all inclusive of the meals, entertainment, and transportation.

I like that I can plan my own excursions or pick one already planned by the ship if I don't want to put the effort into it.

The value for the dollar.

We have fun and find it relaxing.

When it comes to vacationing, why do you pick cruises over other options?

-we still take a couple of land vacations each year, generally they cost considerably more and are a lot more time consuming in planning.

When we cruise it is more relaxing as everything is done for us and off peak times it is comparably cheaper.

What have your experiences been?

Every cruise is different as we meet different people and that usually guides the experience. We have many times hung out with people we've met on the ship in port as well as on the ship.

We have done everything from hanging out on beaches; going to all inclusives; snorkeling; zip lining; scenic tours; Dolphins; stingrays; city tours; catamaran sailings; renting scooters, jeeps, trikes; horseback riding; tubing; rafting; hanging out in the port area;

Thank You!

Good Luck! Hope no one hijacks your post for their personal rants.

Hello Everyone!

Thank You!

Why Royal Caribbean and not some other line? I would guess if you posted this on any other cruise line, you would get similar responses. It's all based on personal likes and dislikes.

We're not loyal to any particular line. Never took a cruise I didn't like BUT we much prefer land travel (real travel not AI resorts) when we're vacationing as a couple. When we bring the kids though we choose cruises because (1) best bang for the buck (2) our kids love cruising, and (3) Cruising allows everyone to do their own thing and still vacation together. If the young people want to stay up half the night and sleep all day they are not wrecking our sightseeing plans for the next day. Plenty of family time without everyone having to do the same activities.

Hello Everyone!

I am a college student in California pursuing my Undergraduate's degree in Marketing and I am currently taking a Consumer Behavior course !

Welcome to cruise critic. I'll answer then read what I assume will be interesting replies. My Travel agent recommended Royal and a cruise they thought I would like. That cruise and the next 2 were excellent and we loved them. I've sense come to realize they aren't all perfect, but I have managed my expectations and made a point to enjoy them. Why haven't I tried another? If someone gave me a free cruise and I loved it, i might try that line again, but spending this much money wants a year I go with a sure thing.

Hi

RCI was our first cruise line and we liked the product which is why we have returned time and time again, we have done 26 cruises with them, we've never considered another line but are thinking of trying Celebrity in the future.

We love cruising as it seems like a home away from home, unpack once and see so many different places.

In case the OP doesn't know and may find it of value RC and Celebrity have the same owners, or parent company. I can't speak for Mr Welshrich, but I know we are considering doing the same perhaps in 2018.

Royal Caribbean has arguably the most innovative ships in the industry which is a huge plus. A lot of it also falls into demographics - age groups in particular vary from young to old depending on the ship and the itinerary - I am a younger cruiser and enjoy doing the 7 or less night cruises which usually gets a younger crowd. Additionally, its not the cheapest option out there and I think the passengers reflect a crowd who don't always consume the lowest cost product - its about quality and consistent experiences.

The ships - flowriders, ice rinks, big screens by the pool - I love it all.

I love to be on the water and the idea of being in a 4 star resort and waking up in a new location everyday without even feeling like I traveled is an amazing feeling. Cruises offer a good value in my opinion - lodging, food, and entertainment in one fair price.

I am not fond of staying in one spot for too long, which is why I am not big on all inclusive resorts. A lot of cruisers will argue that there is not enough public space on cruise ships - I have mixed feelings on this, on one hand I don't like to feel cramped but to be honest I seldom get that feeling on a ship. Being in close quarters sort of forces you to interact with new faces which I like, not all do, but I do.

Knock on wood I have had mostly great weather and great service while cruising in the Caribbean. My expectations are pretty low on the service side as I don't mind doing things myself, however I have found that if I am courteous to the crew they are more than happy to assist me. Nothing beats sipping a cold adult beverage and watching the turquoise blue water pass you by.

I prefer no cruise line over any other cruise line.

My wife wanted a cruise, so we picked one on the Tenement of the Seas that matched the available dates.

I do not like cruises in general.

When it comes to vacationing the only reason to pick a cruise is the happiness of my wife.

I spent a week trapped on a cruise in 2014, I will be trapped on one again in 2016. The food could compete with some of the finest Golden Corral Buffets. The pools are the size of bathtubs and I have a closet at home larger than the guest rooms on the ships.