Celebrity Suites the Step Children of the Fleet

CHEZMARYLOU

I find it interesting and sorry - kind of amusing- that you would cancel a great cruise just because there MIGHT be more people in MC. Just because there is a potential for more people in MC because of the addition of Sky Suites does not mean that there will be triple the people in there every night. We just stayed in a Sky Suite on Reflection. We had a premium drink package. Most people in suites these days have some type of drink package. We enjoyed the freedom of going to any bar - sometimes noisy, sometimes quiet. We probably would not have used MC very much if it were available to us. Perhaps on occasion. That is our thinking and of course I can't speak for any other Sky Suite passenger. Next cruise we are in a CS and I feel the same. Occasional use of MC and experience the variety of other areas on the ship. We love cruising and don't do it for any particular perk. Just enjoy!

Happy to see I amused you. The cruise I am talking about is a trans-atlantic and no one gets a drink package on those sailings. As I tried to explain it is not the free drinks it is the atmosphere in Michaels that we enjoyed. Since this has not been implicated yet there is no way to know for sure how many more people will be in MC, however I don't believe (especially on a trans-atlantic) that the experience will be anything like we just had. I'm glad for you that you like noisy bars, we do not.

I think that no matter what side one falls into on this issue there will be some reduction in the quality of the MC experience for those in the upper level suites. It remains to be seen to what level the experience will be degraded. While having mixed feelings I think that Celebrity should offer something to the upper level suite pax as a compensation. Also I think they should add an assistant concierge for MC to handle the additional passenger requests

Happy to see I amused you. The cruise I am talking about is a trans-atlantic and no one gets a drink package on those sailings. As I tried to explain it is not the free drinks it is the atmosphere in Michaels that we enjoyed. Since this has not been implicated yet there is no way to know for sure how many more people will be in MC, however I don't believe (especially on a trans-atlantic) that the experience will be anything like we just had. I'm glad for you that you like noisy bars, we do not.

We are booked in a "Step Child" suite in March. First off, the reference to step child is so offensive in so many ways it is horrible and the OP should apologize for using this term in such a negative way.

We too booked a Celebrity Suite and we can rebook a S1 and save a lot of money. Our attraction was more the suite itself and had little to do with Michael's Club, therefore we are not switching.

As a couple we cruise on Celebrity numerous times a year and are truly surprised at how empty Michael's Club always seems to be. My personal experience is that Zenith members are more likely to be in there than suites guests. My guess is that is why Celebrity is opening up to the S Class. That certainly is the case on Royal Caribbean ships where the ratio of suites guests vs D+ or P is very small.

Come on seasearider......do we really have to be horribly offended by every little comment. That kind of need for apology reminds me of the movie Rainman...where Dustin Hoffman is relating a list of injuries and serious injuries done by the tom cruise character in the form of little hurtful comments. tough it out a bit. there are many MUCH more REALLY HORRIBLE things going on all around you, be offended by those if you must be offended

We are booked in a "Step Child" suite in March. First off, the reference to step child is so offensive in so many ways it is horrible and the OP should apologize for using this term in such a negative way.

OMG. If allowing sky suite passengers into MC is going to turn your cruise into a vacation from hell, I am sorry. I am reading these posts and am feeling like an outcast since we are lowly sky suite people.

Maybe Celebrity Suites should get better amenities than Sky Suites, but the rooms are significantly larger (300 vs 390.) Did you really only book the suite so you could use MC and avoid contact with the riff raff?

Celebrity wants to keep their Suite passengers happy, they are after all Celebrity's sweet spot. How about seeing how it plays out? If Celebrity really wants to be in that niche between standard cruise lines and luxury lines, they are going to need to play to the upper level suites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For us, it certainly is not that we see Sky suites as riff raff far from it.

The issue is this is a totally ill thought through move that is likely to bring problems for all suite guests

1. You cannot add potentially up to 80 guests to a venue and keep the same experience unless as people have said you are stretching the walls (and doubling the staffing)

2. There are many people ourselves included who booked CS for access to Michaels not for space. The premium charged was not insignificant. IMHO the location of the S1s is better than many CSs on the S class ships. We have now paid extra for no benefit and for us, there is no option to rebook (no rooms and risk of penalties)

So we have an absolute mess. CS are paying a hefty premium for nothing. The easy solution - give them the premium drinks package and free wifi ( ie some not all of the perks of RS) to recognise they are premium suites. Elsewhere in marketing you have called them that including in Captains Club marketing so reflect that here.

I am sorry people are cancelling or downgrading. I quite understand why. We are also discussing our options but at present would have to take a penalty to cancel. I wonder how many have cancelled and whether Celebrity even notice or care?

The absence of the official poster or any recognition by Celebrity that this change in offering might not look good particulaly if you are a CS guest reflects very badly on the cruiseline

Edited by uktog

The issue is this is a totally ill thought through move that is likely to bring problems for all suite guests

1. You cannot add potentially up to 80 guests to a venue and keep the same experience unless as people have said you are stretching the walls (and doubling the staffing)

2. There are many people ourselves included who booked CS for access to Michaels not for space. The premium charged was not insignificant. IMHO the location of the S1s is better than many CSs on the S class ships. We have now paid extra for no benefit and for us, there is no option to rebook (no rooms and risk of penalties)

So we have an absolute mess. CS are paying a hefty premium for nothing. The easy solution - give them the premium drinks package and free wifi ( ie some not all of the perks of RS) to recognise they are premium suites. Elsewhere in marketing you have called them that including in Captains Club marketing so reflect that here.

I am sorry people are cancelling or downgrading. I quite understand why. We are also discussing our options but at present would have to take a penalty to cancel. I wonder how many have cancelled and whether Celebrity even notice or care?

The absence of the official poster or any recognition by Celebrity that this change in offering might not look good particulaly if you are a CS guest reflects very badly on the cruiseline

The costs of cancelling in the UK and the availability of suitable rooms makes changing almost impossible. I am fussy about which suites we are in. There is no point in moving from a cabin we picked at least a year ago to somewhere we are not going to be happy with. That will just waste the cruise for us. At the moment you only get obc. When we booked we received the beverage package, obc and free gratuities. All these would be lost plus our deposit.

The obc covers the drink package upgrade, we still have the visit to the specialty restaurants included.

At the end of the day, other than lunches in Luminae on port days, we are getting exactly what Celebrity offered at the start. Using Bistro on port days works for us as we don't want a large lunch or a lunch that is only available between 12 and 1.30. We would rather do our own thing and when we return to the ship eat what we feel like. The important thing is not having to fight for a table in the upstairs scrum or make do with a burger on deck.

I was waiting for someone to say this was not politically correct to use a step child reference, and could be offensive and a negative reference to those who have step children who do not treat them as second class.

MC always appears empty on every ship we have been on so it does seem that Celebrity is trying to better utilize the space. I do think a big difference will be on whether one has a drink package or not and can see where it would be a lot busier on transatlantics. My DH used the space when it was a sports bar and noted he would not go their now if we were in a suite because there is only one TV and he likes to watch sports or sports news when available.

Edited by Jade13

We loved MC on our Eclipse TA this past spring....we were in a CS....we are in a CS for our TA on Reflection in April....and I have no intention of cancelling. We love the extra space the CS has to offer and while Michael's will NO DOUBT be busier we will still frequent that lounge. On the Eclipse TA, MC was used by a steady group of 10-15 people, us included, but rarely more than that...so if now there are 30-40 at a time (somehow I HIGHLY doubt all 150 guests are going to show up at the same moment) it will be busier, yes, but still okay....when Perry Grant used to play in MC it would be packed and yet, people were able to order drinks, get served without waiting eons to do so..... I think it will be fine and am happy that friends who were unable to get a CS on the Reflection will be able to join us from their SS!!! It's all good....

We too booked a Celebrity Suite and we can rebook a S1 and save a lot of money. Our attraction was more the suite itself and had little to do with Michael's Club, therefore we are not switching.

As a couple we cruise on Celebrity numerous times a year and are truly surprised at how empty Michael's Club always seems to be. My personal experience is that Zenith members are more likely to be in there than suites guests. My guess is that is why Celebrity is opening up to the S Class. That certainly is the case on Royal Caribbean ships where the ratio of suites guests vs D+ or P is very small.

Don't stay in a step child suite and you will feel much better about yourself.

We loved MC on our Eclipse TA this past spring....we were in a CS....we are in a CS for our TA on Reflection in April....and I have no intention of cancelling. We love the extra space the CS has to offer and while Michael's will NO DOUBT be busier we will still frequent that lounge. On the Eclipse TA, MC was used by a steady group of 10-15 people, us included, but rarely more than that...so if now there are 30-40 at a time (somehow I HIGHLY doubt all 150 guests are going to show up at the same moment) it will be busier, yes, but still okay....when Perry Grant used to play in MC it would be packed and yet, people were able to order drinks, get served without waiting eons to do so..... I think it will be fine and am happy that friends who were unable to get a CS on the Reflection will be able to join us from their SS!!! It's all good....

I have to agree with you. We have been once in the Caribbean and once in the Europe and it invariable settled on a group of 8 to 10 as the only users with a couple of extras before dinner. The numbers are likely to expand and when events are on it may be busier but I cannot see a queue to get in.

On the positive side of all this, perhaps many of the "negative" folks will cancel and make Michael's Club even more enjoyable! [emoji1]

Would be nice...

Unfortunately the loudest complainers, who say they are never sailing Celebrity again, seem to still have footers indicating upcoming Celebrity cruises so seem to just be passive aggressively indicating their dissatisfaction, and want to ensure they have a bad vacation. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with you. We have been once in the Caribbean and once in the Europe and it invariable settled on a group of 8 to 10 as the only users with a couple of extras before dinner. The numbers are likely to expand and when events are on it may be busier but I cannot see a queue to get in.

On my 13 night TA this spring, I used MC probably 8 times the entire trip, and most of those were mid-day when they had a special shore talk or something happening. SO there are people who have access but don't use it. The law of averages will kick in and it won't be crammed full of all 200 eligible folks at any one time.

You are right it tends to be a certain small cluster of folks who are regulars each cruise.

Seriously, absolute mess? You got EXACTLY what you've paid for, a larger suite, and Michael's Club access. They've taken nothing from you, but maybe made the lounge which as shown by many is often (usually) empty and made it more lively. We've had 6 weeks of cruising with access of Michael's Club and welcome the new guests.

The costs of cancelling in the UK and the availability of suitable rooms makes changing almost impossible. I am fussy about which suites we are in. There is no point in moving from a cabin we picked at least a year ago to somewhere we are not going to be happy with. That will just waste the cruise for us. At the moment you only get obc. When we booked we received the beverage package, obc and free gratuities. All these would be lost plus our deposit.

The obc covers the drink package upgrade, we still have the visit to the specialty restaurants included.

At the end of the day, other than lunches in Luminae on port days, we are getting exactly what Celebrity offered at the start. Using Bistro on port days works for us as we don't want a large lunch or a lunch that is only available between 12 and 1.30. We would rather do our own thing and when we return to the ship eat what we feel like. The important thing is not having to fight for a table in the upstairs scrum or make do with a burger on deck.

Celebrity can still move your cabin for a number of reasons, and it does happen, though infrequently. Would your cruise really be a waste if you had to be in a different cabin. For the record, even in the UK right now, there are LOTS of benefits for booking a suite, much more than OBC:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/15047556_CEL_Suite_Class_Promo_Flyer.pdf

We mostly agree about Bistro on 5 though service and quality has varied greatly. The new menu especially is sufficient for us, as long as service isn't too slow.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Celebrity can still move your cabin for a number of reasons, and it does happen, though infrequently. Would your cruise really be a waste if you had to be in a different cabin. For the record, even in the UK right now, there are LOTS of benefits for booking a suite, much more than OBC:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/15047556_CEL_Suite_Class_Promo_Flyer.pdf

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Having carefully picked one of the CS cabins with the bigger balcony on deck 10 I would be very annoyed to be moved unless to one of the RS on the same deck but probably not 1239 or its equivalent on the other side (had smell issues on them in October), or the PH above.

I don't think that this has actually arrived over here. This is the current offers here https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/added-lift - just make sure that it does not revert to the US site. The whole bigger, better best thing has not crossed the Atlantic. We have $300 onboard spend just now and that is it. This is the wording "$300 onboard spend Book an Ocean View stateroom or above on this sailing (excluding guarantee rooms) and receive $300 to spend onboard.

Offer ends 14th December 2015."

We had a good offer that ended not long ago that gave 2nd guest at half price. I cancelled my Oct RS and re-booked saving around £2,000 in the process taking into account my lost deposit.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

Having carefully picked one of the CS cabins with the bigger balcony on deck 10 I would be very annoyed to be moved unless to one of the RS on the same deck but probably not 1239 or its equivalent on the other side (had smell issues on them in October), or the PH above.

I don't think that this has actually arrived over here. This is the current offers here https://www.celebritycruises.co.uk/cruise-deals/added-lift - just make sure that it does not revert to the US site. The whole bigger, better best thing has not crossed the Atlantic. We have $300 onboard spend just now and that is it. This is the wording "$300 onboard spend Book an Ocean View stateroom or above on this sailing (excluding guarantee rooms) and receive $300 to spend onboard.

Offer ends 14th December 2015."

We had a good offer that ended not long ago that gave 2nd guest at half price. I cancelled my Oct RS and re-booked saving around £2,000 in the process taking into account my lost deposit.

The All-Inclusive suite option is not location controlled, it is an offer open to all regions and nationalities.

The "promo Code" is GBES if your travel agent is having issues booking it. Open to individuals and non-contracted groups (so some big boxes may not be able to book if they have contracted space and are selling)

The All-Inclusive suite option is not location controlled, it is an offer open to all regions and nationalities.

The "promo Code" is GBES if your travel agent is having issues booking it. Open to individuals and non-contracted groups (so some big boxes may not be able to book if they have contracted space and are selling)

I have just tried a dummy booking and the promo code does not work on Celebrity UK web site. There has been no UK advertising on this only from the US nor has the Bigger, Better, Best that was supposed to be their continuing offer arrived here.

I have just tried a dummy booking and the promo code does not work on Celebrity UK web site. There has been no UK advertising on this only from the US nor has the Bigger, Better, Best that was supposed to be their continuing offer arrived here.

On the US site, you have to call in to get the promo (unless they fixed it yesterday). Try phoning in.

The promo code is used by TA's when redeeming "coupons" in Cruisepower.

Edited by cle-guy

When I originally posted the promo in the thread announcing Sky Suites access to Michael's Club, I stated it, but I will state it again, was provided to me by a UK based travel agent. He can certainly book this deal for UK passengers with UK pricing and UK booking restrictions. Keep your package as you wish, but if the pricing works, this is the best benefit package I have ever seen offered for CS and SS suites and maybe even upper level suites.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

When I originally posted the promo in the thread announcing Sky Suites access to Michael's Club, I stated it, but I will state it again, was provided to me by a UK based travel agent. He can certainly book this deal for UK passengers with UK pricing and UK booking restrictions. Keep your package as you wish, but if the pricing works, this is the best benefit package I have ever seen offered for CS and SS suites and maybe even upper level suites.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I checked using the US agent we have used and I can get the deal there but there were no S1 cabins available now on the one cruise I can change from a CS and I am not staying an S2 (just don't like the overhang). There are cabins in March 2016 but I have just paid that today.

I checked using the US agent we have used and I can get the deal there but there were no S1 cabins available now on the one cruise I can change from a CS and I am not staying an S2 (just don't like the overhang). There are cabins in March 2016 but I have just paid that today.

I guess timing is everything. Maybe one of the aft facing S2s is available? You could always book an S2 in addition to the CS and cancel the CS, and upgrade the S2 to S1?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I guess timing is everything. Maybe one of the aft facing S2s is available? You could always book an S2 in addition to the CS and cancel the CS, and upgrade the S2 to S1?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

At the moment the CS has a classic beverage package, free Grats and $300 obc. I also received around 6% discount on the fare using the UK agent which I would lose. We can't do the booking several rooms on the same cruise or booking multiple cruises as our deposits are non refundable so there is always a $450 cost to cancel.

To be honest, I am quite happy where I am. The obc pays for the upgrade to Premium beverage, and I always buy the unlimited internet at the elite+ discount and we share that. I am in a cabin I picked a year ago. There has to be a bigger advantage than that to make the effort to change a booking.

At the moment the CS has a classic beverage package, free Grats and $300 obc. I also received around 6% discount on the fare using the UK agent which I would lose. We can't do the booking several rooms on the same cruise or booking multiple cruises as our deposits are non refundable so there is always a $450 cost to cancel.

To be honest, I am quite happy where I am. The obc pays for the upgrade to Premium beverage, and I always buy the unlimited internet at the elite+ discount and we share that. I am in a cabin I picked a year ago. There has to be a bigger advantage than that to make the effort to change a booking.

You are absolutely correct. Anyone in the UK booking with X direct is being offered the deal as you state above. An individual agent may have a different offer it is a case of finding it. However I suspect like us you would be well beyond the time limit for transferring your booking to that agent.

Like you, we will watch for an S1 opening up, we will also watch for rebooking options elsewhere. That explains in our case why one Celebrity cruise remains on our signature. We are not the passive aggressive types at all, IF we keep that reservation, we will go and make the very best of the cruise that we can and we know we will enjoy our precious time together.

And as an aside, yesterday socially we were chatting with a UK Trading Standards person, I asked them given our advert leaflet on booking onboard talked about breakfast lunch and dinner in Luminae and that Michaels was exclusive to PH, RS and CS did our current offering constitute the same product......his view....probably not.

By the way I am NOT progressing any legal claim, merely reporting to illustrate to those in the US the differences in trading legislation between the two nations

A 'probable view' by an individual, likely done fairly quickly from the sounds, is not a determination. Further the access before wasn't exclusive to Celebrity suites, but included other suites and did not promise exclusivity or service levels, so this only adds another group of users so does not change the offering included to Celebrity Suites.

The only thing that may be different is the BLD in Luminae - but there is a whole lot of other considerations that would play into an assessment there.