Safari + 29 days onboard Mariner starting 11/21/2015

Travelcat2

I can try loading up your pics since I brought up tapatalk. Please send me info on how to get them to Zqueeze1atyahoodotcom. I'll give it a whirl in the morning since the beer light was just turned on.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for helping with the pictures "Z" - they're absolutely amazing! We are excitedly looking forward to our very first safari in just more than a week! :) :)

~Benita

"Z" - you are amazing ...... thank you so very much for posting the pictures. That will save me hours of sitting at the computer and getting nowhere!

I just learned that the Nautica was in Richard's Bay today and could not get out (and we could not get in). Weather can do strange things. Not certain what port they missed.

There is a controversy going on with Mozambique tomorrow. Will explain later. There are many of us that will not get off of the ship there (for various reasons). While we are more than anxious to get off of the ship, we will stay onboard in Mozambique. Really looking forward to our overnight in Durban. This is where we will go out and find a place for the best "bunny chow" (not what it sounds like). It is definitely worth under $5 to have curry in a cut-out piece of white bread! The second day we have an 8 hour excursion (will take pictures if it is interesting).

We are looking forward to East London for two reasons: 1) We will visit Oceania's Nautica that will be docked with us and; 2) We will visit an authentic village (that may make up for what we missed today).

The people onboard are really delightful. We met many CC'ers at the event and a lot of guests that were in the safari camps.

At the end of this cruise, the Captain, Cruise Director, Assistant Cruise Director and Executive Chef (plus others that I am not aware of) will depart the ship. IMO, this is important information to share because there are changes on every voyage. This why our experience onboard may not be the same as someone else's.

Speaking of experiences, I am a bit surprised that there are no reports from the Voyager. They are doing an itinerary very similar to what we did (India, etc.). This is one cruise that I am thrilled that we did but would not do again. Very hot - very tiring.....great food.

As I told someone that I met at the Meet and Greet, today I feel like a cat...... sleeping many hours..... waking up to eat and sleeping again. What a wonderful life!

Special thanks to Z for the posting of some great pix!

Sorry that you missed your port due to weather, but that's something completely out of our control. Will be looking for more reports and hopefully more pix!

So glad that you, John, Z and Pamela are on the first crossing of the Explorer with us. I'm guessing that Regent will try to get passengers to cancel tihs cruise as they are doing with the maiden voyage. Just checked today and most categories are waitlisted.

Not sure if these are impalas or springbok. I think it is the impalas that has an "M" on its' rear end. Rumor has it that this stands for McDonald's:-)cf79fd0c83035f49e38370c71960f536.jpg

This is what is known as "flat lions

6a6955b6333bc8357bc762d1fd990584.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Z", thanks again so much:D I promised computerworks that I would learn to post photos and I did practice at home -- the speed is just too slow on the ship. I tried to re-size the photos but could not find how to do it on a Kindle.

Anyway, as mentioned previously, most crew members and many passengers are not disembarking in Mozambique so the ship isn't crowded but also isn't empty. We are really looking forward to Durban (tomorrow afternoon and Monday).

We were told that the buses at some of the ports were not air conditioned and were older. The buses we saw this morning fit the description. Fortunately it is not going to be hot today (more or less overcast -- probably in the 70's).

Late tomorrow morning, after our champagne and caviar breakfast, is the Gold and Above event in the Observation Lounge. I'm not certain what an "African themed" event consists of but we will be there to find out.

Hope everyone is enjoying a four day weekend at home.

At the end of this cruise, the Captain, Cruise Director, Assistant Cruise Director and Executive Chef (plus others that I am not aware of) will depart the ship. IMO, this is important information to share because there are changes on every voyage. This why our experience onboard may not be the same as someone!

TC2: we will be boarding 1/13 for the South America Grand Voyage. Any word on who will be coming on board to replace these folks? " Inquiring minds want to know..."

The Captain is Captain Teo (sorry - don't know his last name but he is delightful). As I mentioned above, Jamie Logan is C.D. and his wife, is Asst. C.D. Although I have been told who the new Executive Chef is, I don't remember his name. The wonderful Andreas should still be onboard. Must admit that I'm happy that Regent was able to get such a wonderful G.M. from Oceania (they do tend to steal Regent's crew).

I am just now noticing a trend in the computer room that I don't care for. There are now many passengers that get "free" internet for "xxx" minutes. As with Oceania, only one person at a time can log on. So, the spouse sits next to the person using the computer which takes up yet another seat (sometimes they are scarce). Yes - we can ask them to move but that can be uncomfortable. Currently there are three couples using six seats and three computers. I can only imagine what this will be like at the end of next year considering the fact that there is no plan to add computers to any of the ships.

Anyway, dinner at Sette Mari was yummy. My only complaint is that there is too much food. I had the foresight to not order a main course but my DH had tastes of the food set out at the table before dinner plus food from the antipasti buffet. Then he had soup, a "small" pasta dish and a veal dish. There was so much food that he went to bed:-)

We attended the Cruise Consultant's talk and won the $250 OBC for this cruise. This means that I'll have my mani/pedi done on board before the end of this cruise and the start of the next using some of those credits. They are so overpriced but we now have enough OBCs to cover it.

At the meeting we saw computer generated images of the "new" Navigator as well as the Explorer. In terms of the Explorer, it was nice to see the dining venues on the big screen. The Cruise Consultant indicated that there is very limited availability on the cruise that we (and many wonderful CC'ers) have booked ....... the first crossing of the Explorer. I checked the website earlier and found only a few lower categories available. I'm sure that there will be some cancellations but we feel lucky to have booked the exact suite that we want.

Another cruise that is almost sold out is Miami to Los Angeles. She is recommending the Los Angeles to Miami cruise. Although we will be in Los Angeles in January for two days, it is not a port that we would go to voluntarily. If there were not a lot of Travel Agents anxious to see the Explorer, I could not imagine why any ship would want to dock there. The docking area is not pleasant and it is miles from anywhere (miles of traffic that is). Note: She indicated that the L.A. to Miami cruise is less money than the Miami to L.A. itinerary -- another reason to consider that itinerary!

The last thing that we noticed at the meeting was that neither Cairo or Luxor, Egypt is on any itinerary so far for 2016/17 and the Black Sea itinerary has returned for September, 2016. Regent will be visiting both Israel and Turkey!

Tomorrow we will finally be in Durban...... can't wait!

Happy Sunday from the Mariner - still enroute to Durban. Sunny skies, fairly calm seas (a bit rough overnight but it was fine since we were in bed) and everyone is in a cheerful mood.

The amount of "new" staff remains an issue (fairly minor but annoying). When we boarded the ship we sent a lot of laundry out (some to be pressed - not laundered). Last night my DH discovered two shirts that were twice his size in the closet and two of his shirts were nowhere to be seen. The over sized shirts did not have a "room tag" on them. Fortunately, Joel (our butler) was able to locate the shirts in record time. I'm sure that the person whose shirts we've had for the past three days will be happy to get his shirts back:-) IMO, additional training is needed for the new crew.

Will report on the GPT event (Gold, Platinum, Titanium) later. This will be the first time we have attended an event in the Observation Lounge.

The Gold and above event was interesting but not particularly memorable except for the tastes of African cuisine prepared by Chef Kelly.

Passengers were afraid that the port of Durban would be cancelled as the seas were at least as rough as when the port of Richards Bay was cancelled. There was quite a delay getting ito port but we are all happy that we got here. The first order of business was a face-to-face with immigration (was suppose to happen in Richard's Bay). All of this took so long that excursions left quite late,

The crew are as puzzled as we are as to why the ship goes to Mozambique. Not only are there the visa issues but leaving and re-entering South Africa is tedious for guests and crew aiike.

We decided to cancel our excursion tomorrow as we want to spend time in Durban.

The day after tomorrow we visit the Nautica (the tight security currently in place made getting approval for the visit quite difficult. I appreciate the efforts of everyone involved. I plan on taking a few photos of the interior of the ship.

The same day we will be visiting a tribe ....... something we had planned to do in Richard's Bay so we are looking forward to it.

Quiet evening on the Mariner.

I've been talking about this dish for months. It was invented in Durban, South Africa (where we are today). It is a simple dish that is available at fine restaurants as wel asl street vendors. We had it at a place that isn't fancy but does provide a knife, fork and spoon (it is usually eaten with your hands using the bread as a utensil. Dennis and I shared the chicken bunny with potatoes and carrots on the side (hiding in the background). It is very spicy but has amazing depths of flavor. Z will be posting a photo. It is basically part of a loaf of bread scooped out with curry inside. With the high perentage of people with Indian heritage here, you can imagine how great the food is.

Tomorrow is East London where we will visit Oceania's Nautica and also visit a local tribe. Definitely will be taking photos.

P.S. The portion we had was 1/4 of a bunny. I cannot imagine eating a full one as it would be the size of a loaf a bread (1/2 bunnies are also available).

Edited by Travelcat2

Just checking in on your trip... sounds like all is going well....good!

I saw everyone of those animals at the Bronx Zoo also. :p

Like there, they look well fed.

Will follow with interest as you take in some interesting ports ahead.

Have fun.

Hi Ron, I was just going to send you an email and here you are! I did try to post photos at the beginning of the trip but the computer on board would not cooperate. I was too embarassed to you ask you yet again so "Z" volunteered. As I wrote a few pages back, the problem was photobucket..... I could not get it to the point where I could upload a photo (except a few times).

Have to laugh about your Bronx Zoo comment. I do realize that it would have been easier to find photo of these animals ad post them (and the photos would have been better). On the other hand, being within several feet of them without a cage or even wndows on our vehicle was amazing. The Rangers do have a large rifle but, thankfully, our ranger has not had to use it.

More from East London, Port Elizabeth (where I hopefully ride the elephant bareback) and Namibia (plus returning to Cape Town for a few days).