Safari + 29 days onboard Mariner starting 11/21/2015

Travelcat2

Thanks, Jackie, for keeping us posted on the status of the ill passenger. Can you elaborate a little more and tell us what happened to the passenger? BTW, I totally agree with your comments and shame on those mercenary leeches for trying to take advantage of passengers over the welfare of a fellow human being.

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Time zones completely confuse me. From where the passenger became so critically ill, how many days "back" would Cape Town have been, vs days "forward" to Rio?

I have heard of those Rio jewelry store sales people, and have often wondered if the jewelry they are selling is all that incredibly special. I have more jewelry than any one person could ever need, but there must be some advantage to the stores putting so many paid "passengers" onboard to sell this stuff.

Have really enjoyed your posts from this cruise, Jackie! So sorry about the ill passenger - must be scary. Love your upbeat attitude and so happy that South Africa "spoke" to you the way it did to us! I left part of my heart there.....hopefully one day I all be able to return. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Edited by Anna B.

Pam - I don't know the distances. We were close enough to St. Helena make it there more quickly but they have no facilities whatsoever. Walvis Bay was also closer but indicated that they could not help this individual (perhaps the problem is more than they can handle.

Walvis Bay is a little over 1 day from Cape Town when you are sailing South. We were sailing even further away from Cape Town - going towards St. Helena when it was determined that the passenger needed to be air lifted from the ship. The Captain and officers starting trying to get a helicopter to the ship for over 12 hours (while speaking with people in Walvis Bay, St. Helena and Cape Town). They were on the phone all night seeking options. I would guess that Cape Town would have been less than a half a day closer at the point when all options were exhausted. The patient is from Rio and the doctor felt he could stabilize him until we reach there (note: the patient is married to a doctor but she wasn't with him since was "working" on the ship).

I believe (from stories going around the ship) that he probably had a severe heart attack and requires surgery. He is in the ship's hospital area and in on medication 24/7. The medication is keeping him alive. He is known by several passengers because the sales people are outgoing and meet as many people as possible. He is a very heavy smoker and has a significant weight issue. I'm assuming that the other sales people on board want passengers to think that everything is fine so they tells guest that the man is fine. This obviously upsets passengers because if he is "fine", why did we miss a port? Will continue praying for his recovery but also hope that Regent pays a bit more attention to single guests - male - in group of 6 or so, booking itineraries on Regent that end of Rio. While all guests are welcome on Regent, they are not permitted to "sell" or solicit for their services while on the ship.

Anyway, today is the Tex Mex buffet - not my favorite as it the least authentic food that is made here (in my opinion of course). I probably cannot resist a little guacamole and a tortilla. Tonight is the Cirque Rock and Roll show - sounds like the perfect show for me. The Jean Ann Ryan Singers and Dancers are excellent (not always but this group is great).

P.S. Kathy, will write to you when I get home;)

Edited by Travelcat2

Hope the patient makes it to Rio. I doubt Walvis Bay would have any better medical facilities that what is on the ship, but they perhaps could have airlifted him from there to Capetown. If he needs heart surgery, that is very specialized obviously.

Agree with you about the Tex Mex--only part I like onboard is the guacamole. I usually just make a big salad and have some guac on the side.

Rachel -- the Tex-Mex buffet was the best I have ever had on Regent. Someone actually learned how to cook Mexican food (not sure about the Tex-Mex "thing" because I am from Los Angeles). The meat and chili were not full of red and green bell peppers, the salsa was spicy and lovely and the condiments were lovely. The guac is always good!

Dinner at Sette Mari was nice - nothing spectacular but good. Our wine selection (Paripaso "Cab" from California) follows us wherever we dine.

The seas are like glass - much calmer than a lake. The few clouds reflect in the sea ......... flying fish appear out of nowhere and descend back into the water. Guests saw whales today -- we were on the other side of the ship.

The rumor mill continues but we choose to ignore it. The officers on board are amazing (with one very big exception that has already been reported). We have sailed with Captain Teo before - an amazing man and wonderful to talk with. Have also sailed with G.M. Andreas previously ...... such a professional, capable and lovely man. He, along with Capt. Teo, have had to deal with making the decisions that ultimately saved the life of the gentleman on board. Regardless of what some grumpy passengers say, it was the right decision. Cruise Director Jamie Logan and Assistant Cruise Director, Dana Logan are delightful. It was our first time cruising with them -- not certain how we sailed so many times without meeting them. They do every World Cruise and I can certainly see why.

I'm learning that the longer we are on a ship, the easier it is to remain on - indefinitely. However, we made the decision four years ago to adopt kittens which meant no long cruises for us. We are ready to go home - especially since our last stop is Rio. I'm rather surprised at how many people that have visited Rio have the same feelings about it that we do. Since we will be there 1 day before expected, we will probably go into town. So, we will remove our watches and jewelry and head out to learn how much it will cost for a taxi to the airport and then will purchase some "Reals". Our original plan was to leave the ship on the 22nd -- 3 hours after we docked and head to the airport (same plan - just will spend one day and night in Rio).

I've met some CC "lurkers" that I really like. During my 10 years on CC, about 95% of the people we have met on board from CC are great! There is one man on board that must think he knows me because I have passed him twice at 6:00 p.m. or later when he is dressed like a slob (shorts, etc.) and he mentions "Fashion Police". I find it particularly funny (even though it is quite rude) because we have never reported a passenger for not meeting the dress code (but do complain about it on CC).

That's all the news for today!

Jackie: From The Boss:

-How many cats?

-Names?

-Who's taking care of them?

Obviously, TB is a cat lover.

Love your descriptions of the calm seas and chow. Wish we were posting pics again so we could all enjoy them. BTW, is Gabby working in CR? She is awesome.

Z and TB

Jackie: From The Boss:

-How many cats?

-Names?

-Who's taking care of them?

Obviously, TB is a cat lover.

Love your descriptions of the calm seas and chow. Wish we were posting pics again so we could all enjoy them. BTW, is Gabby working in CR? She is awesome.

Z and TB

To TB:

-Whiskey, Bella and Twiglet/Twiggy (ages - in order 4, 4, 2)

-Best pet sitter in the world. She gave insulin shots to our kitty twice a day for the last three years of his life (when we away - I did it the rest of the time).

Whiskey is the cat in my avatar and, when I don't withhold my "signature", it is Twig in the little picture (see signature below).

Not sure who Gabby is but will inquire.

I want to talk a bit about one Officer on board that may not receive the credit she deserves sometimes. Executive Concierge Odul. She was onboard the cruise when 30 passengers did not have luggage for up to two weeks. She physically went to airports where the luggage was suppose to be (not always there or only some would be there) and sort through luggage. She even had a small airport open for her so she could see if there were any Regent guest bags there. She does all of this with a smile and a whole lot of caring. Odul is also the one that gets most of the complaints due to where she sits (near Reception and near the G.M.'s office). I'm writing this not only to acknowledge the hard work that she does but to suggest that you walk by and just to say hi. I'm sure she would appreciate that!

It is too early in the morning for anything to have happened. We saw the Cirque Rock and Roll show last night. Very good but not quite as good as a previous performance. We do not generally go to shows but have really enjoyed this group as well as the Italian comedian from our last cruise. Nature's Rhythm is also on board - I could listen to them for hours!

A few words about the excursions (without discussing the department that attempts to organize them), have been good to excellent. Passengers traveling in Africa (and other parts are world) are given notice that the buses may not be air conditioned and may be old. So, when someone complains about it, I don't give it much credence since they were told in advance. Despite overcrowding, we have been very pleased with the excursions that we selected.

The safari seems to have a satisfaction level of 100% - regardless of which safari camp you went to. No one has a negative word to say about their safari.

Today is a South American buffet on the pool deck. Think I'll walk by but will probably dine in CR. I'm surprised at how busy CR is at breakfast and lunch - we are used to it being empty.

There is enough movement of the sea today that it feels like we are on a ship. Weather still beautiful. Still think that we will arrive in Rio between 4 and 6 a.m. on Monday.

Z, yes the ship is decorated for Christmas -- not overly done but many Christmas trees in different places. Very lovely!

Today things took another turn. As most of us are "travelers" vs. "tourists", we know that things do not always work out as expected which is why it is helpful to take changes with a grain of salt and realize that the Captain and his staff know what they are doing.

The passenger that is ill is still being taken care of 24/7 by the ship's doctor and nurse. The Mariner, as mentioned previously, was going top speed to get to Rio. Unfortunately, there is a part that needs to be replaced on the Mariner that requires us to either go 18.5 knots or to stop the ship and replace the part. This would require 3 hours of bouncing around the ocean (because they could not put out stabilizers if they were to do this). The Captain made the decision to slow down and get to Rio 3 hours later (which would basically be the same time as if the ship stopped for 3 hours). The "fix" should not delay the next departure (Rio to Miami).

The sales people on board are annoying the guests. One passenger was approached by a jeweler in the sauna...... cannot imagine how much more tacky these "sales people" can be. Again, these are paying passengers that are treated the same as anyone else but are not permitted to do sales on the ship. To do so would risk being removed from the ship. As they are aware, there is nowhere to disembark them so they are being a more aggressive.

So, the officers and crew are dealing with many issues simultaneously and, IMO, are doing the best they can under the circumstances. In addition to a critically ill passenger, aggressive sales people on board and grumpy passengers (that were grumpy when they boarded in Cape Town), the strict (and unnecessary) ship inspection will take place when we reach Rio.

This morning we met a lovely Cruise Critic couple from California. We had a lovely chat. Their experience on board has been similar to ours (positive) but they experienced some high pressure tactics by Canyon Ranch employees. Although I had some nail services done on the ship (by a lovely woman), my overall opinion of Canyon Ranch employees is not positive. IMO, pressure of any kind should not exist on Regent.

Returning to the positive, Captain Teo, G.M. Andreas, F&B Director Daniella, Cruise Director Jamie, and Concierge Odul and their staffs have done an excellent job under challenging circumstances.

There are more crew members that I want to name but need to get upstairs to make sure that I'm ready for the "TPG" (Titanium, Platinum and Gold) party at 5:00 p.m. Following that is Chateaubriand in CR.

Edited by Travelcat2

Interesting comment Jacquie on Canyon Ranch. I had to have a haircut-very simple- and a woman on Nautica did an outstanding job. Afterwards I tried to tip her; the response--oh no we add a service charge. I thought it was a little small, but no money changed hands.

To TB:

-Whiskey, Bella and Twiglet/Twiggy (ages - in order 4, 4, 2)

-Best pet sitter in the world. She gave insulin shots to our kitty twice a day for the last three years of his life (when we away - I did it the rest of the time).

Whiskey is the cat in my avatar and, when I don't withhold my "signature", it is Twig in the little picture (see signature below).

Not sure who Gabby is but will inquire.

I want to talk a bit about one Officer on board that may not receive the credit she deserves sometimes. Executive Concierge Odul. She was onboard the cruise when 30 passengers did not have luggage for up to two weeks. She physically went to airports where the luggage was suppose to be (not always there or only some would be there) and sort through luggage. She even had a small airport open for her so she could see if there were any Regent guest bags there. She does all of this with a smile and a whole lot of caring. Odul is also the one that gets most of the complaints due to where she sits (near Reception and near the G.M.'s office). I'm writing this not only to ackggnowledge the hard work that she does but to suggest that you walk by and just to say hi. I'm sure she would appreciate that!

It is too early in the morning for anything to have happened. We saw the Cirque Rock and Roll show last night. Very good but not quite as good as a previous performance. We do not generally go to shows but have really enjoyed this group as well as the Italian comedian from our last cruise. Nature's Rhythm is also on board - I could listen to them for hours!

A few words about the excursions (without discussing the department that attempts to organize them), have been good to excellent. Passengers traveling in Africa (and other parts are world) are given notice that the buses may not be air conditioned and may be old. So, when someone complains about it, I don't give it much credence since they were told in advance. Despite overcrowding, we have been very pleased with the excursions that we selected.

The safari seems to have a satisfaction level of 100% - regardless of which safari camp you went to. No one has a negative word to say about their safari.

Today is a South American buffet on the pool deck. Think I'll walk by but will probably dine in CR. I'm surprised at how busy CR is at breakfast and lunch - we are used to it being empty.

There is enough movement of the sea today that it feels like we are on a ship. Weather still beautiful. Still think that we will arrive in Rio between 4 and 6 a.m. on Monday.

We are scheduled to arrive Rio late morning on Monday. Jamie does an excellent job addressing scuttle butt around the ship and status of patient on television elequantly. Interesting to know Regent works directly with Cleveland Clinic for course of action they feel the ship doctor should take when emergencies arise. Grumpy passengers? Guess I am lucky as I have only encountered lovely people. Loving cruise.

Glad to hear someone has finally figured out how to cook Mexican food on the ship. I have offered to go back and show them.

I suspect that your cooking would exceed Regent's by a mile:D

Dakota0307 - glad to hear that your experience with passengers has been positive. We have certainly met some great people on this leg of the cruise. However, it seems that there is a line-up of people at Reception and the Concierge desk with complaints. We are enjoying every minute of the cruise but have been away from home over a month and are definitely missing our kitties:o

hope that Regent pays a bit more attention to single guests - male - in group of 6 or so, booking itineraries on Regent that end of Rio. While all guests are welcome on Regent, they are not permitted to "sell" or solicit for their services while on the ship.

Hi Jackie -

I am confused ...a few years ago I traveled with my former TA on a couple of trips. She sent everyone a note stating that she wasn't "soliciting" but then it appeared as though she was as some of the others in her group brought passengers to her and she did sign up several on the cruise. I have also been directly approached by TA on the ship as well as had notes appear in my cabin.

Is this against Regent policy?

Interesting.

Jackie, since we got off the ship in Cape Town, I've been vicariously been on the ship with your postings. Thank you. I'm sorry to hear about the ill passenger. I'm sure the captain made the right decision to save his life. I'm glad I'm not there being pestered by jewelry sales people. That has never happened in any of our cruises. I totally agree the safaris were 100% what expected. I spoke to several couples who stayed at other camps and their experiences were as good as ours. We did a day safari to Labilela and it was wonderful. We had a great ranger, saw lots of animals, had a delicious lunch and the staff at Labilela was over the top. All our meals during the cruise were excellent. I agree with your opinion of the crew. I think GM Andreas is one of the best. I was teary eye seeing the crew say goodbye to Captain Felice. We have cruised with him several times and he's excellent. The Voyager is getting a gem. Thank you for your posting. I look forward to seeing you next November on the Explorer. It was a pleasure meeting you and Dennis. By the way, like you, I didn't pay any attention to those who complained about the buses or the ports. All our guides were excellent and we enjoyed the tours. It was a good way to see S Africa.

Forevertravel:)

tallship - what you have described is very different than what is happening on board. It is understandable that passengers may make recommendations to a certain TA while onboard (and the TA may be onboard).

What is happening here (and occurred during our last Cape Town to Rio crossing) is heavy duty sales pitches. As I may have mentioned, one passenger was in the sauna when approached by a sales person. These are aggressive salesmen that take advantage of every opportunity to solicit. The salesmen are offering tours of the city and other perks as long as you go to their jewelry store. Unfortunately, this happens with most cruises that end in Rio.

Another negative about Rio (besides for the expensive visa and over the top inspection that the ship will go through tomorrow), is the tax that you have to pay if you purchased anything prior to arriving in Rio (onboard or on land) that exceeds $500/person. The tax is 50%. Visiting Rio is on many people's bucket list, however, IMO, once is more than enough! I expect that some people will disagree but this is how we feel about Rio.

Tonight we dined in Signatures and, like Prime 7 the second time, it was good but not as good as the first time. Also, the air conditioning was not working well and the place was boiling hot (maybe overstated). There was a man in a suit that took off his jacket and used his wife's pink fan to try and cool himself..... interesting sight but I don't blame him one bit.

While not wanting to point fingers (well, I guess I am pointing a finger or two), passengers from Florida find 75 degrees comfortable. This does not work for most other passengers. So, once again I am complaining about the temperature of some parts of the ship. If you find the ship cold, put on a sweater or pashmina. Those of us that are comfortably warm do not have an option of doing something to cool off. \

I sound a bit grumpy tonight and am not really as we will be going home the day after tomorrow. Everyone will be happy to put their feet on solid ground tomorrow. Seven days at sea is quite a bit but we enjoyed it very much.

A few more words about the crew. Stephane (Restaurant Manager) and Vladimir (Dining Room Manager) are amazing - doing a fabulous job. There are two servers in Signatures that I want to single out - Michel (aka William) and Dominic are outstanding. With more training, I can see Michel as the Maitre'D of Signatures. He is from Paris but has a wonderful personality, provides great service and has a great sense of humor. I hope management pays special attention to him - especially for Chartreuse.

More shout outs for the crew tomorrow.

The clocks go back yet another hour tonight.........

Okay, question about that tax. The last time Mark and I were in Cape Town, he shopped for and bought a black diamond. It was land trip only, we flew home from there. But are you saying that if we had been on a cruise that stopped in Rio, they would have taxed him 50% of what he paid for the stone?

Black diamonds are obviously a fraction of the cost of any other diamond, but they do have a sparkle that onyx doesn't have, and he really wanted one. He found the perfect one, in a shop that we were almost too intimidated to go into (lots of bars and armed guards); the people there were lovely.

Okay, question about that tax. The last time Mark and I were in Cape Town, he shopped for and bought a black diamond. It was land trip only, we flew home from there. But are you saying that if we had been on a cruise that stopped in Rio, they would have taxed him 50% of what he paid for the stone?

Black diamonds are obviously a fraction of the cost of any other diamond, but they do have a sparkle that onyx doesn't have, and he really wanted one. He found the perfect one, in a shop that we were almost too intimidated to go into (lots of bars and armed guards); the people there were lovely.

If this tax were in effect when Mark and you purchased the diamond and you were disembarking in Rio, you would have had to pay a 50% tax. If Rio were only a port stop, the tax would not apply. If you did not claim the item and the diamond was found in your luggage, they would confiscate it. I'm going to save the one page document explaining the tax in case I need to refer to again.

We dock in Rio in a couple of hours - assume that the passenger will be removed from the ship and taken to a hospital immediately. Many guests will take advantage of the tours this afternoon. While we will go ashore to figure out the taxi issue, we will appreciate being on the ship when it isn't full.

We'll leave the ship tomorrow night around 6:00 p.m. for a 9:45 p.m. flight. While not looking forward to leaving the ship, we wish we could blink our eyes and skip and hassle of getting to the airport and going through the procedures at a less than friendly airport.

Going to do more packing:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

We are safely docked in Rio and two passengers were transported directly to the hospital. It is extremely hot here which makes me happy that we have seen the sites previously. Getting a "straight" answer about a cab is nearly impossible. Some cabs can only handle 2 people and 1 piece of luggage. You don't know if a small or large cab will arrive (and you cannot necessarily order what you want). Uber has different pricing but no one seems to know about it. Although I read that there is not an ATM in port, there is in terminal 2 (we are docked at terminal 3). Since the heat is at melting level for me, we will either check out the taxi situation in the morning or order one from online (approximately twice the cost but no aggravation.)

Jamie (C.D.) gave some excellent points to passengers this morning (many of whom won't listen). When he and Dana (Asst. C.D.) are in Rio, they remove their watches and any jewelry including wedding bands. He carries one credit card (with the numbers written down in his cabin).

The crew are looking forward to going outside but many of them are awaiting the inspection that may be today or the day after tomorrow. Tables are set differently - to Brazil standards (glasses and plates upside down on the tables - silverware wrapped up in a napkin rather than set out on the table, etc.)

Anyway, this is life in Rio. I'm sure the guests will completely enjoy their excursions today and tomorrow and my DH and I will wait in air conditioning for the time we can leave for the airport (28 1/2 hours but whose counting).

Thanks for the kind wishes. We'll be onboard our Air Canada flight in 24 hours, 20 minutes (I'm waiting in the computer room to check into our flight).

100% of the people we have spoken with feel it is too hot to be outside in Rio. We will miss the wonderful crew that is currently onboard and really hope to see many of them on the Explorer.l

Happy Holidays to all -- will write again when we are home:D