Safari + 29 days onboard Mariner starting 11/21/2015

Travelcat2

I've enjoyed your posts on this trip very much TC, and the pictures have been great too.

First, on your transfer in Rio, take the private transfer and pay the $80 bucks; as I gather you know Rio can be a really dangerous place! Keep ALL your jewelry and fancy goods out of sight, don't look too up-scale, and be alert and street-smart every moment. We've been going to Rio for more than 30 years, at least 6 or 7 times (lost count) and it gets scarier and scarier. The first time, in 1985, we went at Carnival. My wife failed to follow the recommendations and had a very thin gold chain and chip stone ripped right off her neck by a kid. Things have gone downhill from there, but we've avoided any repetition by scrupulously avoiding risky areas, no jewelry and 'dressing down'.

Second, your opinion of Destination Services is right on, IMnsHO. I'm older, heavier; un-steadier and less well than formerly, and can only take 1-walker and seated excursions now. On our 20 day Voyager North Cape - Spitsbergen - Murmansk cruise last July, there was only one 1-walker excursion I could honestly qualify to take, and on that whole cruise, not one seated-only excursion. I did consult with DS, and signed up for a couple I really couldn't meet the stated conditions for. On one, I got off the bus and found a cafe where I had a leisurely coffee while my DW went on a walking tour. On the other, from Geiranger, I was able to get from the bus to the area from where you could see down into the fiord, a fantastic sight. That day we were lucky; we had gotten on the first or second bus and got up top about 10 minutes before the fog started rolling in. Later busses, and there were several I think, missed the beautiful view down into the fiord with the two cruise ships looking like toys floating there. Getting from the ship on the longish dock was a problem, but they had a wheelchair waiting when we returned, so that worked our OK. Their excuse, that there isn't much available to book up there, seemed legit, but several of us were interested in hearing and seeing more about Murmansk and it's important role in World War II, but even after a number of inquiries, nothing could be done we were told. And they stone-walled on disembarkation arrangements until it was too late to make any on our own; luckily, we had a lot of OBC and used that for a hugely expensive private transfer to the airport hotel, where we got a day room. We booked a SUV, but got the transfer in a sedan with our luggage filling the trunk and the front passenger seat, and one carry-on in back with us. I admit, i don't know how to pack, so we always have too much stuff.

Assuming all continues to go well, we'll see you on the March 2017 Explorer crossing and Regent’s 25th Anniversary cruise which, if things go well, will be our first as SSS Titanium members. Looking forward to it!

I've enjoyed your posts on this trip very much TC, and the pictures have been great too.

First, on your transfer in Rio, take the private transfer and pay the $80 bucks; as I gather you know Rio can be a really dangerous place! Keep ALL your jewelry and fancy goods out of sight, don't look too up-scale, and be alert and street-smart every moment. We've been going to Rio for more than 30 years, at least 6 or 7 times (lost count) and it gets scarier and scarier. The first time, in 1985, we went at Carnival. My wife failed to follow the recommendations and had a very thin gold chain and chip stone ripped right off her neck by a kid. Things have gone downhill from there, but we've avoided any repetition by scrupulously avoiding risky areas, no jewelry and 'dressing down'.

Second, your opinion of Destination Services is right on, IMnsHO. I'm older, heavier; un-steadier and less well than formerly, and can only take 1-walker and seated excursions now. On our 20 day Voyager North Cape - Spitsbergen - Murmansk cruise last July, there was only one 1-walker excursion I could honestly qualify to take, and on that whole cruise, not one seated-only excursion. I did consult with DS, and signed up for a couple I really couldn't meet the stated conditions for. On one, I got off the bus and found a cafe where I had a leisurely coffee while my DW went on a walking tour. On the other, from Geiranger, I was able to get from the bus to the area from where you could see down into the fiord, a fantastic sight. That day we were lucky; we had gotten on the first or second bus and got up top about 10 minutes before the fog started rolling in. Later busses, and there were several I think, missed the beautiful view down into the fiord with the two cruise ships looking like toys floating there. Getting from the ship on the longish dock was a problem, but they had a wheelchair waiting when we returned, so that worked our OK. Their excuse, that there isn't much available to book up there, seemed legit, but several of us were interested in hearing and seeing more about Murmansk and it's important role in World War II, but even after a number of inquiries, nothing could be done we were told. And they stone-walled on disembarkation arrangements until it was too late to make any on our own; luckily, we had a lot of OBC and used that for a hugely expensive private transfer to the airport hotel, where we got a day room. We booked a SUV, but got the transfer in a sedan with our luggage filling the trunk and the front passenger seat, and one carry-on in back with us. I admit, i don't know how to pack, so we always have too much stuff.

Assuming all continues to go well, we'll see you on the March 2017 Explorer crossing and Regent’s 25th Anniversary cruise which, if things go well, will be our first as SSS Titanium members. Looking forward to it!

Thank you for all of the information. Yes - we will use private transfer and do not plan on getting off of the ship today as it is boiling hot outside. We're scheduled on the 6 p.m. transfer and our flight isn't until departing until 9:45 p.m. (reviews of the airport are about the same as the review of the city:-(

Looking forward to see you in March 2017 - you'll be the one with the "Platinum" button on that matches mine:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie:

Thanks you so much for sharing your wonderful experiences with all of us. I looked forward to reading this thread every morning and sad that it's almost over.

During the Explore TA, reminds me to tell you my story of "Z's Excellent Night in Rio." Stay low in Rio and fly safe!

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Z and TB

Hi Jackie and Dennis,

Needless to say we've so enjoyed your blog. It was like tuning in to Nat Geo each am, but with a critique as well!!!

We, along with all of the other "TA Explorers" will look forward to all being together for that LEGENDARY trip in November.....and Z, please include us in the telling of your "Excellent night in Rio" tale!!

Safe travels home and the best of the holiday season to you both!

Linda and John

Thanks for your entertaining and informative writing, Jackie.

I have a question about the tax that Rio imposes on purchases over $500. If you are wearing a piece of jewelry, how are they going to know whether you purchased it on the trip or previously? Obviously if you have a bunch of stuff with the price tags still on, it would be reasonable to think it was purchased on the trip. But if no tags, how would they know?

And Z, I want to here the story too, so you might as well go ahead and post it.

Rachel, I believe all "real" jewellery is hallmarked, isn't it? I think that would include an identifier of where and when the piece was made and perhaps that could provide enough information to make a charge? I think a jeweller can tell if a piece is new or not by signs of wear, too. So perhaps it all depends on how determined the Brazilian Customs are to make their case? I'm no expert (as you can tell, no doubt ;-) ) and would probably wear anything I bought and hope to get away with it too!

In answer to Pam's question, why would anyone go to Rio? Well, if that's where my ship stops... ;-) Actually I have found this thread useful for providing me with a couple of confirmations that we did the right thing in cancelling the second leg of our cruise in February 2016, which would have ended in Rio. We're sailing Lima to BA and found that we could stay on board for the BA-Rio segment for comparatively reasonable cost. But then we read about the ports of call...we thought about our own opinions of Rio (from experiences before the extortionate tax and strict rules and regulations which now affect life on board)...and we reflected on how almost every B2B cruise has a "great" half and a "not so great" half...and cancelled the BA to Rio bit. So Pam, I think I share your sentiment!

We enjoy Rio as a destination. Although missing St Helena was a big disappointment the extra day in Rio was a pleasant bonus. Yes some areas of Rio could be dangerous if you are not careful but it is a vibrant city with much to offer tourists. An advantage for us Brits is we do not need a visa.

Those who left the ship yesterday missed a fabulous Christmas show last night staged by Jamie, Dana and the dance company. One of the best shows we have seen and will no doubt be repeated on the next leg. We cannot work out who was 'standing in' for Santa??

On the subject of jewellry sales persons, Regent do not help the situation by pushing STERN and getting them to run the shuttle buses into Rio - no guesses required as to where the shuttles go to :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We are looking forward to tonight's sail-away and to the next leg of our journey

Jackie & Dennis - Hope you had an uneventful journey home

Home safely and currently covered with kitties. Will answer questions soon - especially about why visit Rio, taxes that really were not what they said they were going to be, etc. Great, on-time flights on Air Canada. Then just an hour from the parking lot to home:-)

I wore my kitties out so I want to respond to a couple of things before I forget.

I have the form given to us by Regent explaining the 50% tax but don't have the energy to type the whole thing. Most of what the letter said was ambiguous and the rest was simply not true. For instance, the letter states "We would like to inform you that all guests disembarking in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil will need to pass through a Customs Inspection in the terminal." Granted, we left the night before embarkation but there were no Custom Inspectors to be seen (anywhere) the day and a half that we were docked in Rio. The one thing I thought was funny about the "restrictions" was that you are allowed 12 liters of alcoholic beverages. IMO, that is an amazing limit on alcohol. There is even a limit on how many "identical" souvenirs that you can take. Anyway, whatever was suppose to happen didn't!

Pam, your question is difficult to answer. A lot of people enjoy Rio and a lot do not. I feel that it has a lot of natural beauty (it is a shame that the view from the ship is tainted by seeing trash floating in the water). Actually, I should have taken a picture since it may be difficult to believe that this is true (side note: my new Kindle is charging as we speak -- I definitely would have taken a picture if I had not lost the Kindle). Rio is better than it was 4 years ago in terms of filth and graffiti but the crime has apparently remained the same. IMO, Rio is worth seeing........ once.

The area near where the ships dock has been notoriously unsafe. During the day it is only recommended to remove all jewelry - including wedding rings. At night you will be warned against going to any of the beautiful beaches. This area is now torn to pieces and new roads are going in -- I assume this will be completed in time for the Olympics. Still, Brazil makes things very difficult for people from some countries (the $300+ visa fee per person, 25% tax on purchases made onboard while in the water of Brazil -- including wine - the boutique, purchases from the spa - not including services). Quality food is not easily obtainable for the ship. The darn sales people that invade all cruise ships..... the list goes on and on.

In terms of why people want to go there? I really don't know. On the other hand, there were many complaints about Africa and the poverty there. The people in the countries that we have visited in Africa are hard working, proud, kind people. There may be petty crime but not enough for there to be warnings to passengers go ashore. IMO, the passengers should have known a bit more about Africa before booking the cruise!

Benita - It was so nice meeting you two. Hope we meet again (on the Explorer since that is the only ship we have booked in the foreseeable future:-). Enjoy the holidays and have a great 2016 (and beyond:-)

I think I'm sounding too grumpy - think that I'll go relax. Sorry if I bashed Rio too much -- as you know, it is just my husband and my opinion.

Jackie, I totally appreciate your honest opinion of Rio; it never attracted our attention, and I certainly wouldn't go there as a solo. Africa, however, even though we only saw parts of S. Africa, was a wondrous land! I could totally believe that the Garden of Eden lies somewhere in Africa. We didn't do a township tour because we were too tired when it was available, but all the people we encountered were friendly, kind and gracious. Some of our group did hop-on, hop-off bus tours of Cape Town and talked with many local citizens. We did several walking tours. We loved every minute of Cape Town, AFTER that first jet lag wore off. We didn't see as much of Johannesburg, but we also covered safari lodges in several parts because we went twice.

I didn't mean to wax eloquent on Africa, but I don't understand somebody not liking it. Thanks.

Home safely and currently covered with kitties. Will answer questions soon - especially about why visit Rio, taxes that really were not what they said they were going to be, etc. Great, on-time flights on Air Canada. Then just an hour from the parking lot to home:-)

LOL - I can totally relate to your first comment about being covered in kitties! ;)

Our Kisu-kitty has hardly left me alone since we got home at 6 p.m. last night. Was in and out of our bed all night, stayed on top of me for hours, purring and wanting to be rubbed and loved on. Wouldn't take a nap all morning until noon time, after she was totally worn out. Happy to be home safely!

As we got off the ship early Wednesday morning, there was nobody from customs checking our purchases or asking questions - got to board the buses like usual. Spent the day at the Sheraton Hotel by Ipanema Beach, had our own private room as we wanted the privacy as well as the option of napping and showering before leaving for the airport.

The drive to the airport around 6 p.m. took 2 hours, as the traffic was pretty heavy. The check-in as well as the security checks at the airport were much, much faster and easier than we'd experienced 3 years ago during our first visit to Rio. The plane left on time and the flight to Atlanta was comfortable (Delta business class). Our second segment to San Francisco left 30 minutes late, due to some heavy rain and awaiting clearance, but arrived in SFO on time.

Still had to ride the shuttle to the Hilton to get our car, and then take off for our 5.5-hour drive home. Along the way we encountered heavy rain, hail and snow and a low of 36 degrees. A little rough as it's a whole 60 degrees cooler than we had in Rio!

Glad to be home again! Merry Christmas! :)

~Benita

Love hearing about people being close to their fur babies! Hope that Kisu-kitty had a good Christmas (and you two as well). Santa brought our three a new 6 1/2' scratching post with plenty of room for all three to play:-)

Snow and cold weather in California? Wow! We don't even have snow up here (although it is cold enough for snow). I don't envy your long ride home.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that the letter that Regent gave all of us regarding going through customs when we get off the ship was not accurate. I'm not blaming them -- it may have been that way the last time they stopped in Rio.

Staying at the Sheraton was a great idea. Hanging out all day waiting for flights is not fun. Two hours in traffic is over an hour more than it took us at 5:30 p.m. Our experience with security at the airport was interesting. Every time I've gone through security since my knee was replaced a year ago, it beeps and I am "wanded". Not beeping at the Rio airport was nice in one way but concerning in another.

Really looking forward to being home for a few months. Hope 2016 is a great year for everyone!

Thanks for another great trip report! We are going on the Mariner in Feb. Buenos Aires to Rio. We ARE staying in Rio for a couple of days as we have never been there. Will take the precautions people here have recommended and I'll hire a guide as DH doesn't like to wander around anyway. We have already hired our cat/house sitters as our 19 year old will be back in college then. We love our two guys but dang I wish Rambo wouldn't drool :eek:

Thanks for another great trip report! We are going on the Mariner in Feb. Buenos Aires to Rio. We ARE staying in Rio for a couple of days as we have never been there. Will take the precautions people here have recommended and I'll hire a guide as DH doesn't like to wander around anyway. We have already hired our cat/house sitters as our 19 year old will be back in college then. We love our two guys but dang I wish Rambo wouldn't drool :eek:

Really hope that you enjoy Rio - it really has some amazing beaches and things to see. Having a guide is a positive thing!

Had to laugh when I first read about your 19 year old -- thought it was a cat until you mentioned college:D We don't have drooling issues but one kitty has the extremely long fur and needs to be combed twice a day or else our champagne colored carpet is covered with black fur (kind of dumb to get that color carpeting in the first place when we have a soft spot for black and/or tuxedo cats).

Have a great cruise. Looking forward to reading your impressions of Rio.

Although we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, we did have some issues with the Wildlife and Winelands pre cruise and feel Regent should know. Does anyone have the CEO's email address? If so please email me Carole Colin at yahoo dot co dot uk. Many thanks

Love hearing about people being close to their fur babies! Hope that Kisu-kitty had a good Christmas (and you two as well). Santa brought our three a new 6 1/2' scratching post with plenty of room for all three to play:-)

Snow and cold weather in California? Wow! We don't even have snow up here (although it is cold enough for snow). I don't envy your long ride home.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that the letter that Regent gave all of us regarding going through customs when we get off the ship was not accurate. I'm not blaming them -- it may have been that way the last time they stopped in Rio.

Staying at the Sheraton was a great idea. Hanging out all day waiting for flights is not fun. Two hours in traffic is over an hour more than it took us at 5:30 p.m. Our experience with security at the airport was interesting. Every time I've gone through security since my knee was replaced a year ago, it beeps and I am "wanded". Not beeping at the Rio airport was nice in one way but concerning in another.

Really looking forward to being home for a few months. Hope 2016 is a great year for everyone!

Our Christmas was definitely quiet and different from previous ones, as we didn't get home until 6 p.m. Christmas Eve, totally tired and slightly overwhelmed. Dinner consisted of some Chicken Burritos picked up at a small place along the way. ;)

Kisu's wonderful cat sitter had left her a nice stocking filled to the rim and we'd gotten her a round heated cat bed, which she absolutely loves. She actually let me sleep through the night after Christmas, and didn't hop on top of me until 6 a.m. :)

The nights and mornings have continued cold and frosty, but the days have been sunny and clear for the last two days. No snow on the ground though, but we can see it up on the mountains.

Contacted our travel agent for quotes on a couple cruises next year - it'll be either an Alaska cruise on the Mariner or a Transatlantic one on the Explorer in November. Time will tell....

Happy New Year!

~Benita

Although we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, we did have some issues with the Wildlife and Winelands pre cruise and feel Regent should know. Does anyone have the CEO's email address? If so please email me Carole Colin at yahoo dot co dot uk. Many thanks

We also did the Wildlife and Winelands pre cruise and were rather happy with it. So sorry you had some issues/difficulties with yours - would you mind sharing what they were?

~Benita

TC2

Thanks so much for this blog. I read it every chance I could. I felt as though I was still on the journey and enjoyed every new piece of information you shared.

Glad you arrived home safely.

We have returned to Florida until the end of March. Then back to New Jersey and off to Israel two weeks later.

Keep up the blogs with your cruises. See you in November.

Love

Sheila

On a more positive note, met lots of nice people at the Meet and Greet. Really was happy to meet Snackdaddy and his wife -- what a lovely couple. Hope to spend more time with them.

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for your kind words. It was pleasure meeting you and Dennis as well. I wish we could have spent more time together in-person, but reading your posts have been, and will be, just as enjoyable. Perhaps we will cruise together again one day.

All the best,

Paul and Gennie