Safari + 29 days onboard Mariner starting 11/21/2015

Travelcat2

Tonight I am hissy-cat instead of Travelcat. New rule (hoping it is temporary) - bartender and servers can not ask people wearing shorts or jeans to leave after 6:00 p.m. (usually they ask after you finish your drink) because some passengers were upset.

Going to disagree -- My hubby was asked to leave one evening after we lost track of time. He left and changed but was really annoyed we he got back that the guys without collared shirts who came in after him didn't appear to be asked to go change. I think the crew is in a no-win situation here.

Going to disagree -- My hubby was asked to leave one evening after we lost track of time. He left and changed but was really annoyed we he got back that the guys without collared shirts who came in after him didn't appear to be asked to go change. I think the crew is in a no-win situation here.

Hi ..... you are 100% correct about the cruise we were on together (Cape Town to Cape Town). The issue didn't begin until this cruise (Cape Town to Rio). We were in the Observation Lounge before dinner most nights before dinner on the last cruise and observed many people being asked to change (and some were missed as you noted). We have now moved to Horizons Lounge where passengers were showing up at 6:45 p.m. - still in jeans/shorts and were being served. The bartender told us that his manager said that passengers are getting upset so he could not ask them to leave. IMO, if putting on a pair of slacks and a shirt with a collar is such a big deal, perhaps this is not the right cruise line for you.

We are now anchored in Luderitz, Namabia - waiting for our excursion to tender. We are just going on a 15 minute bus ride to a ghost town where we will spend 90 minutes and return. There were very few choices for this port and I suppose this was a reasonable way to spend two hours.

mariners, you brought up some good points. I am beginning to question whether the issues I'm seeing are typical of transatlantic itineraries. Although we have done a couple of transatlantic journeys, based on how we are feeling at the moment, we may not do more. Fortunately, the transatlantic on the Explorer next year has one of the best Roll Calls that I've been part of so I'm confident that there are enough positive/upbeat passengers on Roll Call to make up for any grumpies (made up that word).

Edited by Travelcat2

Tonight I am hissy-cat instead of Travelcat. New rule (hoping it is temporary) - bartender and servers can not ask people wearing shorts or jeans to leave after 6:00 p.m. (usually they ask after you finish your drink) because some passengers were upset.

Why would Regent ignore 99% of their customers that have no problem putting on a pair of slacks and shirt and cater to the "slobs" (sorry - this is my opinion). I'm talking about western hats, t-shirts and jeans and baggy shorts. Tonight is the Captain's Reception...... the night when we meet and show respect to the Captain. I am obviously really upset (furious would be a better word). The lack of respect is not tolerable.

On a more positive note, met lots of nice people at the Meet and Greet. Really was happy to meet Snackdaddy and his wife -- what a lovely couple. Hope to spend more time with them.

I met lots of folks, but missed you. Stop by room 8100 if you are around. We did not leave ship today. Enjoying our sweet and views from lounger on deck.

I too am disappointed Regent does not enforce dress code. In February we noticed few ties and jackets in the specialty restaurants. We thought perhaps it was due to itenerary. Tom had the only tie on in Prime 7 the other evening. Times are changing across the board.

I met lots of folks, but missed you. Stop by room 8100 if you are around. We did not leave ship today. Enjoying our sweet and views from lounger on deck.

I too am disappointed Regent does not enforce dress code. In February we noticed few ties and jackets in the specialty restaurants. We thought perhaps it was due to itenerary. Tom had the only tie on in Prime 7 the other evening. Times are changing across the board.

Most people we have seen on board appear to be following the Regent dress code, although I am sure there is a small minority who do not.

Note that the Regent dress code states that jackets are optional and does not mention ties at all.

It is a matter of individual comfort and taste

Have you asked the FB manager to confirm this policy change and their rationale, if correct?

Z and TB

Too bad about the grumpy passengers. If I were there, we would be having FUN.

I would be "hissy" about the lack of enforcement of the dress code too. George wears a cowboy hat all day to keep the sun off his head, but never at night.

One thing I didn't like about Oceania. In the evenings in the more casual restaurant, you would see t-shirts and jeans, shorts and flipflops. Granted, it was on a Caribbean cruise, but still. If you can afford to pay for the cruise, I think some small effort to dress appropriately for dinner is warrented.

I am taking my youngest son (age 25 and very casual as far as dress) to the Caribbean on Navigator in March, and I will be making sure he dresses appropriately in the evenings. Or he can stay in the room.

I hope your excursion goes well. Seeing starving horses sounds awful.

We will be on the Navigator on 10 Mar. I this the same cruise?

Z and TB

Some updates and comments.........

A few passengers were dismayed that Oceania's Nautica had a better parking spot (aka docking area) than Regent in Cape Town. I learned that Regent could not dock closer to the V&A waterfront because it is either 8 or 9' too long. So, any perceived preference to Oceania was unfounded.

I want to make a point of talking about the salads on the pool deck - outside of La Veranda as it is easy to miss. They have a very large salad that can either be taken as is or modified. For instance, when a Caesar salad is there, you can scoop some up or........ take it in pieces. I call it a "deconstructed" salad. Around the large bowl are the components of the salad so that you can build it the way that you like. I particularly like the Greek salad and do add some of the amazing Feta cheese that Regent carries on board and make the salad exactly the way I like it.

A few words about today's port. Luderitz is a tender port. It takes about 15 minutes to tender. We were booked on the "Ghost Town" itinerary that was only a 2 hour excursion. Unfortunately, Destination Services decided to put two groups together (meaning between 70-80 passengers). This meant getting all of the passengers on and off the tender and on and off the bus (very time consuming). There was only one bus being used to transport us to the Ghost Town. The number of passengers on the bus made the bus late.

The 15 minute or so drive to the Ghost Town was very interesting and enjoyable (although the seats on the bus were very close together). Once we arrived, while the 80 passengers were getting off of the bus I noticed the people in line to get onto the bus to return. The town is all sand and it was blowing like crazy (into the eyes of the waiting passengers). It didn't take long for several of us to know that we did not want to spend 1 1/2 hours in this dusty place so we stayed on the bus. The tender ride back to the ship was rough - the winds were picking up. Soooooo, we were not surprised to learn that all afternoon excursions were cancelled due to the rough seas. We watched some of the tenders with returning passengers and the they were bobbing around like corks. Certainly not blaming Regent for the weather - only for Destination Services poor choice of combining two groups and stuffing the bus to capacity.

The food remains amazing. We had rack of lamb tonight that was tender and very tasty.

Tomorrow is the Township tour where I fully expect passengers to complain about it as they did 4 years ago when we did the same excursion. I recall someone saying that they did not want to see poverty. Perhaps they should have stayed in the U.S. (okay - kinda of a snarky comment but it is fairly obvious that South Africa and Namibia are not wealthy countries although Cape Town seems to be thriving!) Will report more tomorrow.

Today I ate my first and last worm. It was deep fried but I still could not get around the texture once you bite into it. It required a gulp of water to get it down. My DH was brave enough to crunch on it but had to politely remove it from his mouth:-) Must give credit to the group of passengers today as they were much kinder and accepting of what we saw that the last time we were here.

When I think back to the last cruise when someone said that they did not want to see poverty........ it is good that most people that booked this trip to Africa do not feel this way.

Dinner in P7 was pretty good - not as exceptional as last time but the service was amazing!

Starting today I will attempt not to post anything about Destination Services as my Mother taught me that if you can't say anything nice, do not say anything (that says it all). Rest assured that I have reported the issues to management.

Tomorrow we are doing a 4 x 4 over the dunes and to look at small creatures. With the wind, etc., I need to go upstairs and check out what to wear on my head, eyes and face. I'm thinking about giving my DH a cashmere blanket from the room and I may use a pashmina. To be 100% honest, after being away for so long, we look forward to going home (after completing tomorrow's excursion). We still have a week and a couple of days left but are beginning to get a bit homesick.

Peggy, if you are reading this, please email me -- I cannot bring up my address book on the ship for some reason. I have an answer for you regarding the Explorer.

Can't tell you how much I miss my Kindle. Still taking a few photos - some of which I hope to post when I get home.

Almost forgot to share one thing with you that I found heartwarming...... we visited an orphanage today. The stories of how it began and where it is today is touching. The most stunning part of what we learned is that they are not trying to adopt out these children (all ages). The amazing woman that runs the place wants to make sure that the children are fed and schooled -- this is her mission. The children are family - they are raised together and she does not want them separated.

As I have repeatedly said....... there is something about Africa that draws me in..... that touches my heart and makes me comfortable to be here. I wish that everyone could have this experience.

Edited by Travelcat2

Jackie, I knew you would love Africa and it really is more than just a Safari. For those people who don't want to see poverty, well they live in glass houses.

We love Africa so much we love going back at least twice a year. We also have visited orphanages that will melt your heart. When we go we raid our dollar store and bring supplies. Our dentist gives us cases of toothpaste and dental floss to take with us to the schools and orphanages.

What we don't like about Africa is how corrupt the government is. They take the money but do little to help the people.

Like you I hope everyone will take the time to visit and explore and learn.

Jackie, I knew you would love Africa and it really is more than just a Safari. For those people who don't want to see poverty, well they live in glass houses.

We love Africa so much we love going back at least twice a year. We also have visited orphanages that will melt your heart. When we go we raid our dollar store and bring supplies. Our dentist gives us cases of toothpaste and dental floss to take with us to the schools and orphanages.

What we don't like about Africa is how corrupt the government is. They take the money but do little to help the people.

Like you I hope everyone will take the time to visit and explore and learn.

Amen to everything that you said! A totally amazing place!

A couple of comments about Namibia. Not making any political statements - only sharing what we learned. Namibia has uranium mines that are mined by Namibian's as well as Chinese. It pays well even though working in the mines shortens your life considerably. The Chinese are having an impact on Namibia as they eat "everything" - they will take your dog or cat (for their food) as well as anything else they find. The uranium is being sent to Iran. Enough said!

Our excursion today was wonderful - going over the huge sand dunes in a 4 x 4. It was amazing. There was a restroom stop in the middle of the desert - two portable toilets (actually four - two sets) that were very clean and modern. In order to take us on the dunes, they had to let most of the air out of their tires. When we left the dunes, they dropped us off by the sea (gorgeous views) to have a good sparkling wine along with cheese, olives and crackers. They went to town to refill their tires and picked us up to return to the ship. My DH ended up feeding the gulls cheese which they seemed to appreciate very much.

The last few days has been quite a strain on the crew of the Mariner as our tours have returned between 2 and 3:00 p.m. (think I mentioned this earlier). By the time the restaurants close, there is little time to rest before setting up for dinner.

We are really looking forward to sea days (6 of them with 1/2 day in Saint Helena).

Life is great on the Mariner (except for the passengers that expect Africa to look like the U.S........ not sure what they were thinking when the booked the cruise). When we did Dubai to I don't remember where, the passengers acted quite similarly. The cruise is close to what the Voyager is doing now but did not end in Cape Town. It did go through India where, again, passengers failed to do research and complained most of the way.

More as we sail towards St. Helena.

Today I ate my first and last worm. It was deep fried but I still could not get around the texture once you bite into it. It required a gulp of water to get it down. My DH was brave enough to crunch on it but had to politely remove it from his mouth:-) . . . [snip]

In what venue were you served the worm, and were you told in advance that it was a worm -- what kind of worm was it? Was it in a local restaurant, as part of one of your desert excursion snacks, or as special "local cuisine" set up on board on Regent? How did it differ from escargots in texture?

I am flying out to Capetown tomorrow for a Capetown-Capetown 15 night cruise on the Hapag-Lloyd line's Europa 2 starting 12/19 which will include a couple days in Namibia and some mini-safaris to see animals as excursions, plus dinner in the desert under the stars, so I have been following your posts about the region with interest. We will be taking a private tour to Luderitz, the ghost town you visited so DH can hopefully take some interesting pictures, and it was good to be warned by you about the wind potential (and, sadly, the dying horses).

Today I ate my first and last worm. It was deep fried but I still could not get around the texture once you bite into it. It required a gulp of water to get it down. My DH was brave enough to crunch on it but had to politely remove it from his mouth:-) . . . [snip]

In what venue were you served the worm, and were you told in advance that it was a worm -- what kind of worm was it? Was it in a local restaurant, as part of one of your desert excursion snacks, or as special "local cuisine" set up on board on Regent? How did it differ from escargots in texture?

I am flying out to Capetown tomorrow for a Capetown-Capetown 15 night cruise on the Hapag-Lloyd line's Europa 2 starting 12/19 which will include a couple days in Namibia and some mini-safaris to see animals as excursions, plus dinner in the desert under the stars, so I have been following your posts about the region with interest. We will be taking a private tour to Luderitz, the ghost town you visited so DH can hopefully take some interesting pictures, and it was good to be warned by you about the wind potential (and, sadly, the dying horses).

This is what travel is all about on land or sea. Not just sailing on a luxury cruise. Get out there and see the world as it really is. When you get home you really reflect on what you have seen and the people that share with you their culture.

I have really enjoyed following this thread. I love good cruise blogs.

Edited by Suite Travels

So sorry if I led people to believe that the worm I ate was served on Regent. They were part of a "Township" excursion in Walvis Bay, Namibia. The excursion information did mention "mopani worms" but some guests may have taken some without knowing what they were as the dishes were not labeled. The worm was very crispy on the outside - unlike escargot. My DH thought it had the texture of liquorice (misspelled) inside. When I got past the crispy outside and started trying to chew it, I picked up the water bottle and downed the thing.

You are going to love dinner under the stars. Regent used to do it but isn't anymore. When we visited "Dune 7" in Walvis Bay, it looked very much like the area where the dinner is held. When I asked the guide he said that it was 12 kilometers away and that he had not heard of any dinners being held there this year (not sure why and, of course, just because he isn't aware of it, doesn't mean they haven't done it). Have a wonderful cruise.

Suite Travels: Things may be boring from now on since we are doing so many sea days (loving the relaxation). When I get home I'll check the "cloud" and see if there were pictures on my Kindle that I'd like to post. I've also glanced at my DH's camera and see a couple of really good shots.

Jackie, I spent the morning catching up with all your wonderful postings. You have a magical gift of making us feel like we're there. I can relate to you looking forward to upcoming sea days to just relax, been there done that before. Love all the photos too and happy that Dennis found such a good dentist for his new crown.

Thanks so much for the knowledge and enjoyment you've brought us !! BTW, I'm with you on enforcing the evening dress code. Guess some people just don't and never will get it.

Jackie, I spent the morning catching up with all your wonderful postings. You have a magical gift of making us feel like we're there. I can relate to you looking forward to upcoming sea days to just relax, been there done that before. Love all the photos too and happy that Dennis found such a good dentist for his new crown.

Thanks so much for the knowledge and enjoyment you've brought us !! BTW, I'm with you on enforcing the evening dress code. Guess some people just don't and never will get it.

Hi Marcie, thanks so much for the kind comments! We just booked the Explorer, March '17 anniversary crossing. Any chance that you be on board? Would be great to see you both again.

We will be on the Navigator on 10 Mar. I this the same cruise?

Z and TB

YES! Can't wait to meet you. My son Jonathan will be the hugely tall guy with long hair (unless he can be convinced to cut it which I doubt).

Jackie, I haven't been on in a few days due to work and issues with my mom's health, but I was going to tell you that, in Egypt, we ran into a sandstorm. My big scarf that I brought to wear where head covering was required came in very handy as I wrapped it all around my face and wore sunglasses to protect my eyes.

Hi Marcie, thanks so much for the kind comments! We just booked the Explorer, March '17 anniversary crossing. Any chance that you be on board? Would be great to see you both again.

Yes, we're on it too. We're getting off in Barcelona, many are going all the way to Venice. It will be great seeing you again too!

Rachel, hope that your mom is doing better. Sorry to hear that she has not been well.

Marcie - great news that you'll be on board the Explorer.

Z - kinda wish that we'd be on the Navigator in March but we are taking a 6 month break from cruising (not for any specific reason -- just want to spend some time at home with the kitties).

Today I explained to my sister via email that the clocks keep going backwards and she replied that "soon it will be yesterday". Still pondering that comment. Food in CR was delicious (miso glazed sea bass). Great show (very talented group of young people).

Another sea day tomorrow so my posts may remain boring.

Thanks for the well wishes for my mom, Jackie. She was perfectly healthy and independent at age 97 until a fall the day after my oldest son's wedding in October. No broken bones but at that age, recovering is complicated, and baseline is never going to be the same. Sorry to go OT.

YES! Can't wait to meet you. My son Jonathan will be the hugely tall guy with long hair (unless he can be convinced to cut it which I doubt).

Jackie, I haven't been on in a few days due to work and issues with my mom's health, but I was going to tell you that, in Egypt, we ran into a sandstorm. My big scarf that I brought to wear where head covering was required came in very handy as I wrapped it all around my face and wore sunglasses to protect my eyes.

How about I slap some lipstick on The Boss and we meet at Galileo's a few minutes after muster? Looking forward to meeting you and your son.

Z and TB

P.S. I will pay for this comment if TB reads it. :D

Edited by Zqueeze1

How about I slap some lipstick on The Boss and we meet at Galileo's a few minutes after muster? Looking forward to meeting you and your son.

Z and TB

P.S. I will pay for this comment if TB reads it. :D

HAHA, sounds good.

Jackie, a friend who is currently onboard with you told me via facebook that there has been a medical emergency and that you are going full steam ahead to Rio, missing St Helena. Rio is a long way away for someone who is seriously ill.

HAHA, sounds good.

Jackie, a friend who is currently onboard with you told me via facebook that there has been a medical emergency and that you are going full steam ahead to Rio, missing St Helena. Rio is a long way away for someone who is seriously ill.

Yes, I tried to post about it this morning, but this horrible iPad is useless. Need my Kindle. Will write more after dinner (in 6 1/2 hours or so)

Back again! As has already been posted, we are going as fast as I've ever seen the Mariner go, to Rio. Last night we expected a helicopter to drop a basket for the passengers with medical issues. The pool deck was cleared and the Captain and his crew were waiting. Apparently the rescue was not possible. One alternative was to go back to Walvis Bay, Namibia but there were no facilities to assist the passenger. The second choice was going back to Cape Town (at least 1 day further than Namibia). After much thought, the Captain decided to go directly to Rio without stopping in St. Helena (that was scheduled to be an approximately 5 hour "anchor" stop.) So, instead of arriving in Rio at 3:00 p.m. on December 22nd, we will arrive 5:00 a.m. on the 21st. Reports that I have heard is that the affected passenger will be able to make it to Rio (praying that this is true).

Lots of activities onboard the ship and I have not heard any negative comments regarding the missed port. IMO, guests realize that Regent puts the safety and lives of the passengers above everything. One has only to think of what Regent would do if their lives were in jeopardy. As I may have mentioned, the affected guest is only in his 40's so this could happen to any of us. Really appreciating Regent at this moment!

A lot of things going on - some of which is confusing and upsetting to some passengers. As described previously, there is a very ill passenger that is thankfully being kept alive by the Regent doctor. Yet, there were some passengers very upset that we missed one port. This afternoon I learned the reason.

First, let me say that the life of a human being is so much more important than anything else. However, in this case, there are a couple of things going on. Cruises to Rio are different in many ways. Our first cruise into Rio was about 3 (could be 4) years ago. There were "passengers" on board that work for jewelry shops in Rio that "sell" their stores on the ship. Obviously, this is not something that Regent wants but these sales people are "paid guests". So, Regent made a rule that they cannot promote their companies while on the ship. Unfortunately, this rule has been completely ignored. There are approximately 6 sales people (aka "passengers") on board. I have seen them making "friends" with guests and then promoting their stores.

Having explained the above, the passenger whose life that Regent is saving is that of a Rio sales person. The comments made by his "roommate" is upsetting to guests. He keeps telling passengers that his roommate is "fine". Unfortunately, this could not be further from the truth. Had it not been for the Regent doctor and medications that are being administered, this passenger would not have lived. You can imagine that hearing that he is "fine" would not sit well with guests.

As some posters may know, we are not a fan of Rio for many reasons. Just a few minutes ago (9:15 p.m.), the Coffee Connection was still being scrubbed down due to the inspection that Rio requires. Not only are their inspections harsher than the U.S., it is difficult to even get proper food in port (which is why Regent "stuffed" the ship to the gills with food supplies in Cape Town in hopes that it will last until Miami). When you add the above to the visa requirements/costs, I truly wonder why anyone from the U.S. goes to Rio (note: British citizens like my DH do not require a visa).

We will be leaving the ship one day before disembarkation and were hoping to spend almost no time in Rio. However, due to the necessity of getting the passenger home and to a hospital ASAP (totally agree with this), we will be in Rio one day early. We will leave the ship only to check out taxi rates to see if it is better to spend approximately $30 for a taxi to the airport vs. $80 for a private transfer.

Okay - I'll stop ranting. The seas are like glass. And, if you sit on your balcony, you'll see flying fish (look like birds taking off from the sea). Today my DH saw a shark in the crystal clear waters. The sea days are peaceful and relaxing.

Tonight we had steamed lobster -- a "special order" that we made last night. It was delicious. We have met a few couples that will be on the Explorer crossing with us next November. I remain over the top excited for that cruise!

Clocks go back one hour tonight so we will soon be into yesterday:D

Edited by Travelcat2