Nice jeans for dinner in MDR?

tbmrt

There are some seriously uptight people here. Some of you folks demeaning others for their attire in an attempt to elevate yourselves -albeit in your own minds- have done nothing more but proven how much class and tact you lack. I am disgusted by your pompous and arrogant statements. You should be ashamed of yourselves!

I just don't think jeans should be worn in MDR or any of the sit down restaurants. We'd never wear jeans to go out to dinner at Kincaid's or Ruth Chris. Just my $0.02

If you don't think jeans are appropriate for a Steakhouse where the dress code is casual then I'd say you are in a very small minority.

I just don't think jeans should be worn in MDR or any of the sit down restaurants. We'd never wear jeans to go out to dinner at Kincaid's or Ruth Chris. Just my $0.02

Well thankfully no one had to listen to you as celebrity set the dress code on their ships and they feel jeans are indeed acceptable clothing in all their restaurants... Just my pennies worth! [emoji57]

No worries, Reflection's Formal night will not look like a Hooker's convention even with the recent changes.

A retired Hooker's convention maybe. :D

If there is a ( retired) hookers convention on board are they allowed to bring one of their prop forwards with them ?

Well thankfully no one had to listen to you as celebrity set the dress code on their ships and they feel jeans are indeed acceptable clothing in all their restaurants... Just my pennies worth! [emoji57]

Pearls of Wisdom are worth far more than a penny Mr_T 🤓.

Hmm, where are the stand up restaurants located?

Well luckily for me, Celebrity think it's ok for me to wear my jeans so I will carry on wearing them. Even though I may be in jeans, I always make an effort, I still think I look smart.. My preferred style is just a little more casual. Hopefully I don't cause too much visual distress to the anti Jean brigade! [emoji12]

Whereas I would - a nice pair of black or dark blue jeans with heels or a pair of dress boots, with a sparkly top? Absolutely.

In fact, I can't think of a restaurant I've ever been to, in the US or Europe, where that would be inappropriate. Ruth's Chris, Morton's, St. Elmo's - check. Maloney & Porcelli, definitely. Kraft? Yep. I'm honestly trying to think of a restaurant we've been to, and we've been to many high-end restaurants, where I would've felt uncomfortable in such an outfit, and I'm drawing a blank.

And yes, I've worn that combination to country club dinners as well, with nary a second look.

Edited by Jobeth66

Seeing as jeans are acceptable clothing in the MDR on almost every cruise line and in every land-based restaurant I have every visited then I would suggest that this is your problem to deal with. Perhaps you should cruise on a line which doesn't allow jeans.

Good luck finding one though. They are few and far between.

Here are 3 cruise line casual dress code that seem not to have jeans as a option.

Men’s Crystal Cruises Casual includes:

Open collar shirt

Collared polo shirt

Button-down shirt Dress shirt (no tie required)

Dress pants or European smart trousers

Sport coat (optional)

Regent cruises

Elegant Casual: Skirt, or slacks (no jeans) with a blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks (no jeans) and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional.

Seabourn

Elegant Casual

Men: Slacks with a collared dress shirt or sweater; Jacket Optional. Ladies: Slacks / skirt, blouse, pant suit or dress. This is the dress standard for all dining venues

Jeans are welcome in all dining venues during the day, but not appropriate in The Restaurant after 6pm.

Wow! Again, this is MY opinion. I am not allowed to step out of the "Norm" because my opinion differs?

I apologize to those I offended. But really, do we all have to be so sensitive? How about just agree to disagree? Now that I have read the remarks about dress jeans and making the effort to look nice. Yes, that I agree. I am talking about the guy who wears scruffy jeans. It is an insult to the wait staff, chef and the rest of the people who work so hard to make a nice dining evening. How would you feel if you were hosting a dinner at your home, sent invitations, spent $$$, planned the menu, selected the wine, put out your finest linens and your guests show up dressed for a backyard bbq?

And No, I am not spending my time swiveling my head around in the MDR. My husband and I have cruised on RCCL, NCL, Carnival and Celebrity and have not ever seen anyone in the MDR in jeans. Not that I noticed. Though one time on formal night on Celebrity there was a man wearing shorts and sneakers.

We always dine at a table of eight and have a wonderful time and made life long friends. It was just a discussion and I was just giving my "opinion".

Please, everyone, please lighten up and again I apologize for offending.

Isn't it sad that some people's dining experience can be "ruined" by what other people's wear?

Instead of concentrating on the food and company, they're too busy being a busy body with a swivel head.

How shallow are these dress code ****s?

Wow! Again, this is MY opinion. I am not allowed to step out of the "Norm" because my opinion differs?

I apologize to those I offended. But really, do we all have to be so sensitive? How about just agree to disagree? Now that I have read the remarks about dress jeans and making the effort to look nice. Yes, that I agree. I am talking about the guy who wears scruffy jeans. It is an insult to the wait staff, chef and the rest of the people who work so hard to make a nice dining evening. How would you feel if you were hosting a dinner at your home, sent invitations, spent $$$, planned the menu, selected the wine, put out your finest linens and your guests show up dressed for a backyard bbq?

And No, I am not spending my time swiveling my head around in the MDR. My husband and I have cruised on RCCL, NCL, Carnival and Celebrity and have not ever seen anyone in the MDR in jeans. Not that I noticed. Though one time on formal night on Celebrity there was a man wearing shorts and sneakers.

We always dine at a table of eight and have a wonderful time and made life long friends. It was just a discussion and I was just giving my "opinion".

Please, everyone, please lighten up and again I apologize for offending.

As a chef & waiter in a previous life I can honestly say it would never bother me in the slightest what people were wearing to eat my food... And just for the record I've worked in some very nice places around the world... I've received tips from both people in tuxedos & people in shorts... That's what makes me happy! I've also received stupid comments from both and that's what insults me... Not their dress sense!

As for backyard BBQ the current dress dress code hardly equates to that so I'm struggling to understand how you can compare as you're talking apples & oranges!!

in your scenario if that happened I'd say you need to make better invitations... I've never seen that in a celebrity ship mdr!

What would bother me would be having guests dining in the same place as others that were judging people purely by what they were wearing...

As for your opinion of course you're allowed to have it... But surely to have such an opinion you have to allow others to have their opinion on your opinion... If your going to get so upset about it then maybe keeping your opinion to yourself would be the best option.... In my opinion that is... [emoji23]

Now that Celebrity has lowered their standards, you agree with them. They won't enforce it, as they very seldom have, next step is bathrobes and flip flops.

A penny's worth? You get what you pay for.

How would you feel if you were hosting a dinner at your home, sent invitations, spent $$$, planned the menu, selected the wine, put out your finest linens and your guests show up dressed for a backyard bbq?

You still don't seem to understand that Celebrity has said that jeans are acceptable. To use your analogy, it would be very silly if you invited people to wear bbq clothes and one of the guests got all huffy because other guests actually wore what you asked them to wear. :rolleyes:

Now that the MDR has been dealt with' date=' can the Fashion Police please move on to the pool area? There are some seriously criminal speedos and thongs that need to be dealt with...:eek:[/quote']

Yes! Some very scary sights to be seen poolside! [emoji33][emoji1]

Now that Celebrity has lowered their standards, you agree with them. They won't enforce it, as they very seldom have, next step is bathrobes and flip flops.

A penny's worth? You get what you pay for.

Well some say lower some say bringing the dress code up to date and more inline with the modern luxury idea celebrity like to portray themselves at... So no I don't agree with the suggestion they have lowered their standards but I do agree with the fact they are moving with the times as a modern luxury cruise line and introducing a dress code that fits perfectly with the current trends around the world...

I don't know where you come from but to suggest the next step of a dress code from chic to bathrobes & flip flops is just ridiculous...

I've only done 6 celebrity cruises so far but I can honestly say I've never seen anyone in the mdr that I felt were underdressed or looked out of place considering the dress code at the time... But then again I can honestly say I don't go into the dining room to look at others to see what they are wearing I go there to eat food and enjoy my evening with great friends, and from time to time meet some new people maybe on tables next to ours... Regardless of their dress choices! [emoji57]

As for my penny... I think I've got great value out of it! [emoji15]

Is 'nice' in relation to jeans a function of style, fit, price, color, brand etc. or is it whatever a particular person says it is on that particular day/night?

Revolving door argument. Jeans are permitted. People will wear jeans. Does not matter if some people do not like it. That's life...you cannot please everyone.

From Lovincruisin1321:

Now that I have read the remarks about dress jeans and making the effort to look nice. Yes, that I agree. I am talking about the guy who wears scruffy jeans.

From MR_T:

As for backyard BBQ the current dress dress code hardly equates to that so I'm struggling to understand how you can compare as you're talking apples & oranges!!

From Fouremco:

You still don't seem to understand that Celebrity has said that jeans are acceptable. To use your analogy, it would be very silly if you invited people to wear bbq clothes and one of the guests got all huffy because other guests actually wore what you asked them to wear.

Give Lovincruising1321 a break and read what he/she said more carefully. First an apology, second an acknowledgement that dress jeans is not what he/she has a problem with; it's the person who thinks all jeans are the same. "Scruffy" as he/she put it.

From Lovincruisin1321:

Now that I have read the remarks about dress jeans and making the effort to look nice. Yes, that I agree. I am talking about the guy who wears scruffy jeans.

From MR_T:

From Fouremco:

You still don't seem to understand that Celebrity has said that jeans are acceptable. To use your analogy, it would be very silly if you invited people to wear bbq clothes and one of the guests got all huffy because other guests actually wore what you asked them to wear.

Give Lovincruising1321 a break and read what he/she said more carefully. First an apology, second an acknowledgement that dress jeans is not what he/she has a problem with; it's the person who thinks all jeans are the same. "Scruffy" as he/she put it.

Maybe you should read their post again... Firstly they say it's the man that turns up in scruffy jeans then they say they've never seen anyone in the mdr in jeans so making a point about something they haven't seen happen...

So from that I read they are implying as stated in the first post that jeans are unacceptable in the mdr even though the hosts now state they are...

Again their opinion if perfectly acceptable as long as they allow others to have their opinion on theirs!

Last time I visited the buffet on celebrity they had seats & tables and didn't see a single person eating while standing up...!

Hey how about that. Same with the ships we've been on and I'll bet we've never Cruised on the same ships together. DZalumni probably meant to say self-service like the buffets or promenade café. But who cares!