Nice jeans for dinner in MDR?

tbmrt

The days of "Dressing up" to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant are gone.

Matter of fact just about all of the "Fine Dining" restaurants, at least here in Fort Lauderdale are GONE

In "MY" opinion..(YMMV) I am sorry to see this.

Too many times we are out to dinner on a weekend and there are people, mostly young, in shorts, "wife beater" undershirts and "flip flops", in "NICE" restaurants, (I'm not talking about chain restaurants, which we avoid anyway)

On the ship weather its the MDR, BLU or a specialty restaurant I will wear nice jeans and a collared ****, at least.

And, for Formal night I will wear dress pants and a jacket with at least a bow tie.

If you don't agree...hey, that is YOUR opinion...and that's FINE

LOVE IT!!!! Nobody said which 'designer' brand the jeans had to be! LOL :D

Now don't get upset, we find jeans too hot for the Caribbean, so we won't be sporting them in the MDR. Just breathe people, don't sweat the small things! Cruises are too short and too much fun to get all hot and bothered over who wears what, just relax and enjoy! :)

Dianne

Nobody said jeans had to be designer. As long as they have no holes they are OK irrespective of he price.

Last time I visited the buffet on celebrity they had seats & tables and didn't see a single person eating while standing up...!

As defined by Webster, sit down restaurant where people are served while seated at a table. The buffet you serve your self which is fast casual (the only place where jeans are appropriate IMHO).

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sit-down

I'm hpguessing that most of the people who are excited & welcoming of jeans in the MDR are the same people who wear jeans in church or shorts & sundresses.

As defined by Webster, sit down restaurant where people are served while seated at a table. The buffet you serve your self which is fast casual (the only place where jeans are appropriate IMHO).

I'm hpguessing that most of the people who are excited & welcoming of jeans in the MDR are the same people who wear jeans in church or shorts & sundresses.

What has that got to do with the price of bacon...

You quoted my post which was quoting a post about stand up restaurants... So in your mind when a ship has a virus outbreak and you're not allowed to serve yourself does it then become a sit down restaurant? No is still a buffet!

Feel free to quote Google as much as you want... [emoji23]

Thankfully celebrity can see that times are changing and there's a need to make these changes to keep up with what they believe the majority of their current/future customer base want... Vs what the minority seem to want and keep the outdated dress code for their personal benefit which in the end would Potentially be harmful to them as a business as they wouldn't be able to attract the future cruise crowd that will keep them in business..

As stated many time you can go into many of the top restaurants around the world and jeans are a very common sight on both men & women...

As for the church comment I'll have to let someone else answer that as other then wedding & funerals I try to stay as far away from them as possible... [emoji15]

I would never judge what people wear to church. The important thing, in my opinion, is that they are there. We attend a mainstream Anglican (Episcopal) church and see a great variety of styles there. In my childhood, we had to wear a hat and gloves. Times have changed!

We have two sons and two daughters in law, all professional people. They usually wear smart jeans to go out to dinner, the boys wear a shirt and jacket, their wives choose fancy tops. I am wearing jeans right now, but I am sitting on the couch at home. I don't choose to wear jeans in a fancy restaurant, but I know I will see many people there who do and it won't worry me at all.

Sheila

I would never judge what people wear to church. The important thing, in my opinion, is that they are there. We attend a mainstream Anglican (Episcopal) church and see a great variety of styles there. In my childhood, we had to wear a hat and gloves. Times have changed!

We have two sons and two daughters in law, all professional people. They usually wear smart jeans to go out to dinner, the boys wear a shirt and jacket, their wives choose fancy tops. I am wearing jeans right now, but I am sitting on the couch at home. I don't choose to wear jeans in a fancy restaurant, but I know I will see many people there who do and it won't worry me at all.

Sheila

Well said,

I guess someone that judges their fellow church goers by their dress says more about them Vs the most likely nice people in jeans & shorts or whatever...

I'm sure Jesus would have some interesting things to say about the attitude revealed by this comment.

Or would he just be feeding a troll? :D

I'm sure Jesus would have some interesting things to say about the attitude revealed by this comment.

Or would he just be feeding a troll? :D

I personally would not want to belong to any church that turned away those in shorts or jeans.

Bottom line is everyone can give their opinion however the only opinion that counts is that of Celebrity Cruises. Other restaurants, private clubs, etc are all irrelevant.

Edited by dkjretired

To "weigh" in on the discussion, many of my wardrobe choices are ruled by the airlines. I plan to dress according to what packs the lightest. As much as I love them, I just put a pair of my blingy designer jeans on the scale (the kind with all the rhinestones and studs) and they came in at just shy of 2 lbs. I can pack at least 4 summery dresses for the same weight and luggage space of that one pair of rolled up jeans. Unless it's a much cooler climate itinerary, the designer jeans will be staying home along with the heavily embellished and weighty formal dresses I stopped packing years ago.

Just because the rules allow it, doesn't necessarily mean everyone is going to drop everything and show up in jeans. My guess is that the change will hardly be noticed.

Nothing you mention is within the guidelines for mdr. (I guess "Jean" is.) Otherwise everything else you mention is not allowed. I'm not sure if you are serious or just trying to be dramatic for effect, but don't think we need any more misinformation of dress code policies.

If people ignored the dress code on the well defined formal nights, why would you think they won't ignore the perceived dress code on an ill defined Elegant Chic night? Haven't we all read countless "I'm on vacation and I'll wear what I please" threads?

Last time I visited the buffet on celebrity they had seats & tables and didn't see a single person eating while standing up...!

strangely enough that is my experience as well - but I haven't been on as many boat trips as some of the Fasionistas on here so my view should be ignored [emoji33]

Well said,

I guess someone that judges their fellow church goers by their dress says more about them Vs the most likely nice people in jeans & shorts or whatever...

And after all, we're only worshipping God, so why bother dressing up? Let's see, people who dress for church= bad, people in shorts=nice.

Aren't you making a judgment here?

For me, I've always felt better about myself if I was dressed a little bit nicer than others around me.

Maybe those who feel their vacation is ruined by people around them who are dressed less than them should feel the complete opposite!

Edited by Paulras

And after all, we're only worshipping God, so why bother dressing up? Let's see, people who dress for church= bad, people in shorts=nice.

Aren't you making a judgment here?

What's your point...??

Who said you shouldn't dress up if that's what you want to do?

Who said people that dress up too go to church = bad?

I said as a guess that the people in jeans/shorts or whatever... Are most likely nice... I guess like MOST that also choose to dress up are also nice... MOST!

So no not a judgment just an opinion...

As mentioned in a previous post I'm not that familiar with this guy God's current dress code for his church's as its not my place of choice, but from what I've heard he's not into judging people by the dress choice unlike quite a few people on the cruise critic celebrity dress forums... [emoji57]

What's your point...??

Who said you shouldn't dress up if that's what you want to do?

Who said people that dress up too go to church = bad?

I said as a guess that the people in jeans/shorts or whatever... Are most likely nice... I guess like MOST that also choose to dress up are also nice... MOST!

So no not a judgment just an opinion...

As mentioned in a previous post I'm not that familiar with this guy God's current dress code for his church's as its not my place of choice, but from what I've heard he's not into judging people by the dress choice unlike quite a few people on the cruise critic celebrity dress forums... [emoji57]

You intimated that people who dressed for church are judgmental, which in today's world is the worse possible sin, even worse than smoking, apparently.

This guy God (nice) had a parable in which the master of the house threw out guests who did not dress appropriately for a wedding feast. Many are called, He said, but few are chosen, so I think this guy God has made things quite clear his preference for church attire, less so for dressing on a Celebrity ship:D

Hmm, where are the stand up restaurants located?

Mast Grill or Aqua Spa Cafe, I often grab a burger, hot dog, or sandwich and eat it on the go.

In the buffet I often grab a plate of cheese and walk and take it away.

Hey how about that. Same with the ships we've been on and I'll bet we've never Cruised on the same ships together. DZalumni probably meant to say self-service like the buffets or promenade café. But who cares!

I knew what DZ meant, just thought it was so funny given this OTT thread.

I personally would not want to belong to any church that turned away those in shorts or jeans.

Bottom line is everyone can give their opinion however the only opinion that counts is that of Celebrity Cruises. Other restaurants, private clubs, etc are all irrelevant.

It might be a little off topic. I was in London visiting friends on New years eve many years ago. I went out with friends for dinner, then we were off to Stringfellows to bring in the new year. I wore a shirt without a collar. Knowing that they would not let me in Stringfellows. As we had a table reserved for us they said dont worry about it. I had a great night but did not really want to say out all night.

It is up to the owners or the person at the door that make the rules, not us.

ANYONE in this thread read and or comment about the new Celebrity "Chic" guidelines and that they have now done away with formal night and requiring jackets/ties/suits etc.???

"Designer jeans" are now ACCEPTABLE!! on Chic Evenings that have replaced formal night

Edited by OBX-Cruisers