Verizon Question

zteamtwo

We are sailing on Allure this Sunday Nov 29-Western Caribbean. Verizon has a deal whereby you can sign up for daily international service. The charges are $2 per day in Mexico and $10 per day in Haiti and Jamaica. They will only charge you if you use data, texting, or calls. Sounds like a good deal. If you do not make or receive any calls or texts, then there are no charges. Question--how do I set up my phone when in these places? I want people to be able to call me or make calls, however, I want to stop any emails or "extraneous" texts coming in which would trigger the charges. Is the ship a cell tower or just Wi-Fi? If I turn on phone to use, I do not want to trigger any roaming charges. I guess the worst that could happen is I would be charged $22 if "somehow" usage is detected in the 3 countries. How effective is the cell tower range in those 3 ports if I am on the ship making calls. Appreciate your help.

Just turn off cellular data on your phone. That will stop email and any background data usage. However, if you want incoming calls, you will not be able to stop incoming texts. The ship has both a cell tower and WiFi.

Edited by clarea

We are sailing on Allure this Sunday Nov 29-Western Caribbean. Verizon has a deal whereby you can sign up for daily international service. The charges are $2 per day in Mexico and $10 per day in Haiti and Jamaica. They will only charge you if you use data, texting, or calls. Sounds like a good deal. If you do not make or receive any calls or texts, then there are no charges. Question--how do I set up my phone when in these places? I want people to be able to call me or make calls, however, I want to stop any emails or "extraneous" texts coming in which would trigger the charges. Is the ship a cell tower or just Wi-Fi? If I turn on phone to use, I do not want to trigger any roaming charges. I guess the worst that could happen is I would be charged $22 if "somehow" usage is detected in the 3 countries. How effective is the cell tower range in those 3 ports if I am on the ship making calls. Appreciate your help.

Those are interesting new updates to their international offerings. I like being able to use my data plan in Canada. Here is a link for other Verizon subscribers:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/

As far as your questions, keep data roaming off so you won't have data charges on the ship. You won't be able to stop texts if you want to be able to receive calls.

OK--I appreciate those 2 replies--thanks. So if I turn off "data" then that should stop emails, etc, but will still allow calls and texts (inbound or outbound). If the ship is a cell tower and I want to make a Verizon call or text while still on the ship at port--will I get ship charges for using their cell tower? Roaming charges?

OK--I appreciate those 2 replies--thanks. So if I turn off "data" then that should stop emails, etc, but will still allow calls and texts (inbound or outbound). If the ship is a cell tower and I want to make a Verizon call or text while still on the ship at port--will I get ship charges for using their cell tower? Roaming charges?

You never get ship charges for using the ship's cell tower. Any charges from using the ship's cell tower will come from your carrier. You should contact them to find out if the plan you intend to purchase works the same on the ship's cell tower.

Is the 22$ for unlimited calls, text, and data in those places or is there a limit.

The $22 the OP is referring to is $2 for Mexico and then $10 each for Haiti and Jamaica. The way I am reading it from the link I posted, it is unlimited call and texts and data is whatever data plan you have domestically.

The $22 the OP is referring to is $2 for Mexico and then $10 each for Haiti and Jamaica. The way I am reading it from the link I posted, it is unlimited call and texts and data is whatever data plan you have domestically.

Duh, I should have clicked your link, thanks. From the pricing in the link, I still like pay as you go.

Edited by setsail

Have you talked to verizon? They will tell you how to set up your phone. They even sent me a PDF with detailed instructions.

I would ask some very pointed questions. I'm sure this plan works exactly as you stated while in port. What about sea days? I'm thinking you will have three. You'll note that the verizon website has both a cruise ship plan and this plan. Better check it out with them.

I talked with Verizon. They have a plan with Royal on several ships (Allure included) to use the ships cell phone tower at Sea. You can get 100 talk minutes--100 sent texts (incoming texts are free)--100 MB of data (emails would be under this) for $40 per month. There is also a $85/Mo plan with higher numbers. After the cruise you can cancel--hopefully you will be within one billing period during your cruise. THEN, when in port, you can still use the $40 plan OR if you have signed up for VERIZON TRAVEL PASS (brand new program--only one week old) you will get an "opt in" message that says you have arrived in country "X" and do you want to use the travel pass. Then the $2 charge (Mexico) or $10 charge (Jamaica or Haiti) would kick in and for 24 hours and you can use your domestic Verizon plan (most of us have unlimited talk and text). By the way, the Travel Pass also works in 65 countries (most are $10 for a 24 hour period). The Verizon telephone number for Global Support (international calling) is 800-711-8300. Talk to them to get the best plan for you.

You can also just do as I do and as setsail does and just pay as you go. Calls on the ship are $1.79/min and texts are $0.50 and $0.05. Rates in port vary by port.

For us, we have found that this is the most cost effective way, and usually come home with less than $20 in additional charges.

You have to decide how much you will actually use your phone and then decide what is the best fit.

I talked with Verizon. They have a plan with Royal on several ships (Allure included) to use the ships cell phone tower at Sea. You can get 100 talk minutes--100 sent texts (incoming texts are free)--100 MB of data (emails would be under this) for $40 per month. There is also a $85/Mo plan with higher numbers. After the cruise you can cancel--hopefully you will be within one billing period during your cruise. THEN, when in port, you can still use the $40 plan OR if you have signed up for VERIZON TRAVEL PASS (brand new program--only one week old) you will get an "opt in" message that says you have arrived in country "X" and do you want to use the travel pass. Then the $2 charge (Mexico) or $10 charge (Jamaica or Haiti) would kick in and for 24 hours and you can use your domestic Verizon plan (most of us have unlimited talk and text). By the way, the Travel Pass also works in 65 countries (most are $10 for a 24 hour period). The Verizon telephone number for Global Support (international calling) is 800-711-8300. Talk to them to get the best plan for you.

Thanks for the clarification. Just wanted to make sure that there are two plans. One for ashore and one on sea days.

You can also just do as I do and as setsail does and just pay as you go. Calls on the ship are $1.79/min and texts are $0.50 and $0.05. Rates in port vary by port.

For us, we have found that this is the most cost effective way, and usually come home with less than $20 in additional charges.

You have to decide how much you will actually use your phone and then decide what is the best fit.

I think this is the plan that we decided to use. We just want to text friends that are onboard. The Travel pass is not available on Allure of the Seas .

Reallyitsmema- thanks for the information. Where were you cruising? I ask because we are cruising Sydney and New Zealand and I can't decide if we should get the int'l plan or not. Our trip falls in 2 billing cycles so that sort of throws a wrench in things as far as cost.

When you traveled, did you have your data off when using pay as you go? If so, were you still able to receive/send texts on the ship or land?

Any other info or tips are appreciated!

Reallyitsmema- thanks for the information. Where were you cruising? I ask because we are cruising Sydney and New Zealand and I can't decide if we should get the int'l plan or not. Our trip falls in 2 billing cycles so that sort of throws a wrench in things as far as cost.

When you traveled, did you have your data off when using pay as you go? If so, were you still able to receive/send texts on the ship or land?

Any other info or tips are appreciated!

We did a repositioning cruise on Jewel from Vancouver to LA plus we added on a week before, mostly in Canada. We always have data roaming set to off on our cell phones as a default. We mostly texted in Canada since that was included in our plan. We made a few short calls while in Canada and some texting on the ship but since we had so many US ports, we tried to save our calls until then. Without data, an iphone will send sms texts instead of imessages. You can tell you are sms texting because the phone will say text message instead of imessage and the color of the text bubble changes from blue to green.

We have also used our phones on other cruises with no issues either but we were just in the Caribbean and Bahamas on those cruises. If we were doing a trip like you are, we would probably buy a package depending on how long we were going to be away from home. Australia is on the list of travel pass countries so we might just do that for one day and then find free wifi in port to check email. Hard to say since we don't have that big of a trip planned and it would depend on what was going on at home and did we need to be in contact.:)

I have Verizon. Just got off Oasis today. I had the global (cruise) plan. Wasn't worth $.02. I couldn't send the first text. Couldn't do much of anything. Calls didn't work at sea. Could call in ports. That's it. By day 3 I bought the VOOM Internet package and was happy. Could text etc. the only benefit I got from the Verizon plan was the ability to call while in port. YMMV of course

I have Ooma for my home phone and they have a mobile phone app that I used on my Allure TA the calls were better than my cell phone back home. Get the VOOM service and see if you can forward you calls to a google voice number so you can get the voice mail messages or sign up for skype and pay a few $$ to be able to make calls.

Voom on Allure is probably the best thing about the ship in my opinion.

I know this is long and detailed, but, this is the email that Verizon sent me. Perhaps it will help other Verizon customers. At the top it says "Travel Pass is not available on Allure"--I think what they mean is that you cannot use Travel Pass while at sea--only ports. Here is email. Also, if it says to put a "plus" sign at the beginning of a call, just press and hold the "zero" key for 3 seconds.

International Services.

Thanks for contacting us about your trip that includes Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas, Mexico, Jamaica, and Haiti.

Below you'll find pricing options and dialing information.

This email is not a confirmation that a plan has been added or is available to add.

TravelPass use your domestic plan allowances for a daily fee

• TravelPass is not available in Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas

• Add TravelPass at any time. You won’t be billed until you enter a TravelPass country and either make/receive a call, send a text or use data. For the daily fee, you’ll have 24 hour access to your domestic plan allowances.

• If you don’t use service, you will not be charged. No need to remove the TravelPass feature.

• Mexico and Canada plans/features are not compatible with TravelPass.

• Calls to numbers within the TravelPass country you’re currently in or calls to US numbers are covered by your domestic plan.

o However, if you make Country-to-Country calls, you’ll be charged International Long Distance rates.

Rate/day Available Countries Allowance

$2 Mexico

Uses Domestic Talk, Message, and Data

$10 Jamaica and Haiti

Uses Domestic Talk, Message, and Data

Mexico & Canada Only talk, text & data or data only allowance for a monthly fee

• We recommend backdating the feature to the first day of the bill cycle and retaining it until the last day of the bill cycle following your return. This prevents allowance prorations and possible overages.

• Minutes on Preferred Pricing include airtime, roaming, long distance, surcharges and taxes.

Rate/mo Allowance Overage

$15 Talk: 100 min, Text: 100 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 100 MB $.10/min, $.10/msg, $10/100MB

$25 Talk: 500 min, Text: 500 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 1GB $.05/min, $.05/msg, $20/1GB

$10 Data: 100 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $10/100MB

$20 Data: 250 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $10/100MB

Preferred Pricing talk, text & data or data only allowance for a monthly fee

• We recommend backdating the feature to the first day of the bill cycle and retaining it until the last day of the bill cycle following your return. This prevents allowance prorations and possible overages.

• Minutes on Preferred Pricing include airtime, roaming, long distance, surcharges and taxes.

• These bundles are available in Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas, Mexico, Jamaica, and Haiti

Rate/mo Allowance Overage

$40 Talk: 100 min, Text: 100 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 100 MB $.25/min, $.25/msg, $25/100MB

$85 Talk: 250 min, Text: 250 sent msg / unlimited incoming, Data: 250 MB $.25/min, $.25/msg, $25/100MB

$25 Data: 100 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $25/100MB

$50 Data: 250 MB, Talk: Pay As You Go, Text: Pay As You Go $25/100MB

Pay As You Go Rates

• If no International plan (TravelPass or Preferred Pricing) is added, usage will be billed at Pay As You Go rates.

• Calls to numbers within the destination country and calls to US numbers are allowed without any International feature. Pay As You Go rates apply.

Talk Rates Per Min Text Sent / Received Multimedia Msg Data Rates

To/From US, CA, MX, PR mobile numbers To/From mobile numbers of other countries Pay As You Go (No Allowance)

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas $1.79 $0.50 / $0.05 Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)

Mexico

$0.99 $0.50 / $0.05 Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)

Jamaica

$1.79 $0.50 / $0.05 Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)

Haiti

$1.79 $0.50 / $0.05 Per Your Domestic Plan $0.50 / $0.25 $2.05/MB ($0.002/KB)

Voice and Messaging

• Important: Multimedia (Picture and Video) Messaging incurs international data usage based on the size of the attachment.

• You’re charged per message/per address. (If one message is sent to 3 people, you’re charged for 3 messages.)

• International Talk rates apply when checking Voice Mail. For Visual Voice Mail, only international data usage applies.

• Text allowances (like the Talk, Text & Data bundle) include multimedia messages too.

• Voice mail is not available with all local carriers in Mexico. To retrieve messages, turn off the World Device, use the ‘U.S.’ dialing instructions below to call mobile number, and interrupt the greeting by pressing # and then follow the prompts.

Data

• Data usage can add up quickly. We recommend an International Travel data allowance. Add the plan for the entire bill cycle(s) of travel so that you get the full monthly data allowance to use during your trip.

• Review our International Travel Data Tips for helpful info and the Data Calculator to estimate usage.

• Once you're traveling, our data alerts will help you manage your usage or check it on My Verizon.

World Device

• Before leaving the U.S., be sure to power your device off/on to refresh the network settings.

• For most voice devices, the default setting for Data Roaming is OFF. To use data, you must enable this feature by either:

o Selecting 'Enable Data' via a pop-up message on your device when powering up outside the U.S. OR

o Making the change in device settings. Consult your User Guide on our Support page.

• Trouble with your device? If you can't place a call from your device, reach International Support using the Customer Service from a landline instruction below. You may incur toll charges.

• When traveling outside the U.S.:

o We can’t guarantee coverage or network quality, which are dependent on the roaming carrier’s network

o Some features may not be available, such as Voice Mail notification, Usage Controls and Advanced Calling.

Dialing Instructions

Country Code From To Dial Network Instruction

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas U.S. CDMA Dial 011 then 1 then Number

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas Customer Service GSM Dial 011 then 1 then 908-559-4899

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas Other Countries CDMA Dial 011 then Country Code then Number

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas Customer Service CDMA Dial 011 then 1 then 908-559-4899

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas U.S. GSM Dial 011 then 1 then Number

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas Other Countries GSM Dial 011 then Country Code then Number

52 Mexico U.S. CDMA Dial 00 then 1 then ten digit U.S. number

52 Mexico Local - Landline CDMA Dial 7 digit local number

52 Mexico Local - Mobile Number CDMA Dial 044 then area code then mobile number

52 Mexico Long Distance - Mexico Landline CDMA Dial 01 then area code then number

52 Mexico Long Distance - Mexico Mobile CDMA Dial 045 then area code then number

52 Mexico Other Countries CDMA Dial 00 then Country Code then international number

52 Mexico Customer Service CDMA Dial 001 then 908-559-4899

52 Mexico Customer Service from a landline None Dial 001-8442528672

52 Mexico U.S. GSM Dial Plus (+) Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number

52 Mexico Local GSM Dial Plus (+) Sign then Country Code then mobile number with Area Code (if applicable)

52 Mexico Other Countries GSM Dial (+) Sign then Country Code then International Number

52 Mexico Customer Service GSM Dial Plus (+) Sign then 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Jamaica U.S. CDMA Dial 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number

1 Jamaica Local CDMA Dial Area Code (876) then 7-digit local number

1 Jamaica Other Countries CDMA Dial 00 then Country Code then international number

1 Jamaica Customer Service CDMA Dial 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Jamaica U.S. GSM Dial Plus Sign then 1 then Area Code then 7-digit U.S. number

1 Jamaica Local GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then Local Number with Area Code (if applicable)

1 Jamaica Other Countries GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then international number

1 Jamaica Customer Service GSM Dial 1 then 908-559-4899

1 Jamaica Customer Service from a landline None Dial 1 800 2528677

509 Haiti Customer Service from a landline None Dial 00 1 908 559 4899 Toll Charges Apply

509 Haiti U.S. GSM Dial Plus Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number

509 Haiti Local GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then Local Number with Area Code (if applicable)

509 Haiti Other Countries GSM Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then international number

509 Haiti Customer Service GSM Dial Plus Sign then 1 then 908-559-4899

• On most devices, the Plus Sign (+) appears when you press and hold the 0 key or the * key. Find your user guide online if needed.

• Your device may have an International Dial key that automatically inserts the exit code for outbound calls.

• To check your Voice Mail, use the “U.S.” instructions above and call your mobile number. Press # to interrupt the greeting and enter your password when prompted. If you’re unable to retrieve, turn off the world device and call your mobile number from another phone.

Manage Your International Services

• From Your Computer:

o Use the Trip Planner to see rates, plan options, and coverage maps.

o Check your international usage and add or remove International Plans at any time in My Verizon.

• From Your Device (incurs data usage):

o Use My Verizon Mobile to

 See if your device is set to travel with International Ready Check.

 Monitor usage and update your International Plan

o Receive data usage alerts directly to your device via text/email

Need assistance while traveling internationally? Call our support line 24/7. 1.908.559.4899

Be careful, especially if you have an iPhone. Verizon will tell you that without a plan (even pay-go) you can't use your phone internationally. That is wrong - it is ALWAYS ready to call internationally at very high per-minute/text/megabyte rates. Pay-go is not really a plan - it's the same as no plan where you pay the highest rates. The international plans they offer are just included minutes/texts/megabytes then you pay per each.

We decided to rely on the ship's WiFi or free WiFi at places in port and not use cellular service at all. This worked find on our Android phones, but beware in iPhones! On all phones, we switched on airplane mode to disable all "services", then manually switched on only WiFi so we were using the ship's internet (we paid for two simultaneous devices). Using a combination of the iPhone's iMessage and Verizon's Message+ apps, we were able to text over WiFi and use email. The problem came when the iPhone rebooted itself, and turned off airplane mode (with no notification) and then it started using cellular data for messaging. We caught it within a few hours, but that resulted in a $110 bill once we got home. Even though we've had Verizon since they existed, and have paid them $150++ per month since then, always on time, they were only wiling to retro-act their $40 (+tax) plan. Not happy!

Travellink---Travel Pass from Verizon is a brand new service (about one week old). You can only use it while at a port. Read my post #10. You cannot use it on the Allure while at sea. Is that what you meant?

Yes,that is what I meant. We got the same email. Thanks for posting it.

I have Verizon. Just got off Oasis today. I had the global (cruise) plan. Wasn't worth $.02. I couldn't send the first text. Couldn't do much of anything. Calls didn't work at sea. Could call in ports. That's it. By day 3 I bought the VOOM Internet package and was happy. Could text etc. the only benefit I got from the Verizon plan was the ability to call while in port. YMMV of course

Sounds like you have an older phone. As of this summer older phones don't work on rci ships, where they would work in port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46957381#post46957381

Edited by setsail

Here is some info I copied from another CC thread. WHATEVER YOU DO OR PLAN YOU SELECT, FIND OUT HOW TO "TURN OFF DATA" ON YOUR PHONE. That is how people run into trouble.

Thanks BOLTFISH.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few things in my over the top research and experience.

Celluar at sea is just a cell tower like the ones on freeways and in our hometowns. No $ to access that. (meaning no additiaonal fee other than what your carrier charges you). It will be a roaming signal, thus needing an international plan or a butt load of cash.

Verizon, ATT et al... They all have some sort of international package. Find the one that works for you and your company and do everything to stick below the allotted text, (in/out) and phones minutes.

KEEP DATA OFF and you won't be getting killed by fee's. For androids its the arrow up/arrow down icon in your settings.

For Verizon users, the cruise plan works on/off the ship as it applies to texts and phone calls. The 100MB you get of data is enough to maybe check some emails or receive a few photos texts messages (Not many though)... the overage on the $40 plan isn't too-too bad either.

If you are getting an internet package and are going to communicate over wifi. Turn your phone to airplane mode. This will block all data, phone and texts, but leaves wifi open.

Here is some info I copied from another CC thread. WHATEVER YOU DO OR PLAN YOU SELECT, FIND OUT HOW TO "TURN OFF DATA" ON YOUR PHONE. That is how people run into trouble.

Thanks BOLTFISH.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few things in my over the top research and experience.

Celluar at sea is just a cell tower like the ones on freeways and in our hometowns. No $ to access that. (meaning no additiaonal fee other than what your carrier charges you). It will be a roaming signal, thus needing an international plan or a butt load of cash.

Verizon, ATT et al... They all have some sort of international package. Find the one that works for you and your company and do everything to stick below the allotted text, (in/out) and phones minutes.

KEEP DATA OFF and you won't be getting killed by fee's. For androids its the arrow up/arrow down icon in your settings.

For Verizon users, the cruise plan works on/off the ship as it applies to texts and phone calls. The 100MB you get of data is enough to maybe check some emails or receive a few photos texts messages (Not many though)... the overage on the $40 plan isn't too-too bad either.

If you are getting an internet package and are going to communicate over wifi. Turn your phone to airplane mode. This will block all data, phone and texts, but leaves wifi open.

You do not have to turn data off, you need to turn off data roaming. Go into your data settings and see if it defaults to off, most phones do, then you are fine. Too many of these phone threads have people posting bad information just trying to scare people.

As you know, things change frequently. Those Travel Pass plans are brand new. The price for calls while on a cruise ship also recently changed. It has been $2.49/minute for years, it just within the last six months actually decreased to $1.79/minute.

Just do your research, as you have, before you cruise and you should be fine. I had my iPhone on the entire time and only incurred the charges I expected. I know someone keeps posting on these Verizon threads to "Beware of Verizon" but I think it is more be aware of what you are doing with your phone. If you have data roaming off, you are not going to incur any data charges if you take your phone out of airplane mode.

You do not have to turn data off, you need to turn off data roaming. Go into your data settings and see if it defaults to off, most phones do, then you are fine. Too many of these phone threads have people posting bad information just trying to scare people.

As you know, things change frequently. Those Travel Pass plans are brand new. The price for calls while on a cruise ship also recently changed. It has been $2.49/minute for years, it just within the last six months actually decreased to $1.79/minute.

Just do your research, as you have, before you cruise and you should be fine. I had my iPhone on the entire time and only incurred the charges I expected. I know someone keeps posting on these Verizon threads to "Beware of Verizon" but I think it is more be aware of what you are doing with your phone. If you have data roaming off, you are not going to incur any data charges if you take your phone out of airplane mode.

The best advice to give anyone on these threads is to call their service provider. Verizon sent me a pdf explaining step by step how to set up my phone.