What on earth is happening to royal caribbean

I, too, have tried other cruise lines and have come back to Royal. I've met many wonderful people on my cruises and look for cruises to sail with them again. Because of this, I will now be sailing solo because I know there will be people onboard that I know and will be included in activities with them. I'm tired of hearing negative comments about their ships, especially Harmony which hasn't even sailed yet. If one is so unhappy with the ship, food and entertainment, then why spend the money to sail with Royal? Some people are just never going to be happy, no matter what. Like Internetwhiz said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

As I said, I'm giving Royal one more try in order to experience the Harmony. I'm relieved to hear that the entertainment will be better than on other RC cruises! Looking forward to a new, exciting and a little bit scary experience on such a huge ship. But, my previous comments were based on past and truthful experiences. Guess what's good and what's 'the pits' is just a matter of personal opinion and comparison; for example, the cruise directors and the entertainment on the Jewel were at least 90% better than what I experienced on the Explorer, which had, IMHO, the second worst cruise director ever, whom I had to put up with for three weeks! (The worst was on my one and only Carnival cruise.) And, the entertainment reaaly was sad for the three weeks I was on board, perhaps because it was a repositioning cruise?

No one is right or wrong. We all have opinions, which thankfully differ widely, and I have stated mine. Some look forward to getting together with former sailing buddies; I do not. Call me a snob, but there are very few I'd like to meet on another cruise ... well, maybe some Aussies I met on the Explorer, but I will still choose to dine alone. And, age is probably a factor, too; some older folks (like me) have higher expectations when we spend our pension income snd savings. As our days are limited, we want and look for good quality. I have yet to find it on RC.

M.

All I can say is WOW! Refer to post #185!!! YOU had to put up with the cruise director for three weeks! Unbelievable! No wonder you eat alone.:rolleyes:

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Yes. The biggest thing we heard in training when I worked in customer service and retail jobs was that "someone who is happy will tell one other person while someone who is not will tell at least ten".

Those stats were pre-internet.

Now it would probably be more like "someone who is happy will email some friends about their experience while someone who is not will light up twitter, Facebook, and other message boards".

But the point remains the same - people who have good experiences don't tend to spread it all over.

I'm sure this is correct as there is lots of marketing data to support it. By we always make it a point to recognize the good and the exceptional in our reviews and posts.

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who rant and rave against Royal, but continue to sail on their ships. I personally like Royal and I think that is evident in my cruise history.

If you don't like something and continue to subject yourself to it, you need mental health counseling. Give yourself and the rest of us a break and find a new cruise line. If you are still unhappy, the problem is YOU, not the cruise lines. Take up solitaire, then you will truly have nobody to blame but yourself.

Well said Bob. Unfortunately there are those who put on their 'ICTW*' T-shirts & just bellyache to their hearts content. And then they book another cruise & start posting in anticipation of having something(s) to whinge about. And then go on the cruise & whinge again. All we can do is ignore them.

Happy cruising.

* ICTW = I Cruise To Whinge

Im fed up.... Im so sick of the ocean. The water is so salty... And royal caribbean is doing nothing about reducing the salt content. Back in the day, the ocean was not as salty.... Service is declining....

In all seriouness, making a comparioson to cruises 10 or more years ago is a joke. The cruise industry has exploded with growth over the last 15 years and the ships have balloned in size. If you honestly expect the same level of service you received on a ship with 1500-2000 passengers when RCL only had 10 ships (or less) with service today when they have to cater to 3800-5000+ passengers on the new bigger ships you are delusional.

As others have stated, you want more white glove personal service, you need to go on cruise lines that dont cater to mass market and ships that are smaller with a better crew to guest ratio.

So sorry if I've offended anyone. I thought this was a thread on which to express one's gripes about how RC has gone downhill. Personally, based on my last cruise (Southampton to Dubai), the line has done just that. Perhaps because it was a repositioning cruise? I've heard from others, who went all the way to Perth or Sydney, that thngs did not improve after Dubai. I was on board for 21 days; some were on for 58 days!

As I've said, I'm giving RC a chance to impress me on the Harmony. I do hope it'll be great! As I have said, we all have different expectations, and we do tend to compare.

m.

p.s. FYI - As a professional, I choose to cruise and dine alone.

Edited by BabaSails

Professional what? I have a Ph. D and was faculty for 39 years. I enjoy cruising and meeting people. Harmony TA is my 25th RC cruise. You'll find me at a table for 12 of North Americans, Canadians, and lovely folks from all over the world.

If you are genuinely sorry, stop berating your Harmony shipmates, like me. Everyone on our Harmony TA board is congenial, even though it's hard to be that way when you realize a shipmate, who doesn't even know you, goes all over CC maligning the group.

I do honestly hope you find a place you are happy. Life is way too short not to enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by internetwhiz

I am currently on Freedom for a B2B and with the internet connections so-so, I didn't read all the way back but noticed some comments that I have heard before,,,,,,,,,,,so I will just make a couple of comments.

If anyone has a problem while on a cruise - contact the appropriate person / department to have it corrected. Don't wait and complain later.

If someone doesn't like a product or it is beneath their expectations - don't use it anymore - save your money and go elsewhere.

If someone's personality is always on the negative, introverted and sort of an isolationist - how can they enjoy cruising which is an event for sociable people.

Cruise lines are like automobile manufacturers...........if you desire luxury or status - there are several to choose from...........if you want utility and convenience - there are lots to choose from............so don't expect more than the brand delivers. You won't get a Lexus ride in a Chevy, Jeep or a Smart Car.

I am currently on Freedom for a B2B and with the internet connections so-so, I didn't read all the way back but noticed some comments that I have heard before,,,,,,,,,,,so I will just make a couple of comments.

If anyone has a problem while on a cruise - contact the appropriate person / department to have it corrected. Don't wait and complain later.

If someone doesn't like a product or it is beneath their expectations - don't use it anymore - save your money and go elsewhere.

If someone's personality is always on the negative, introverted and sort of an isolationist - how can they enjoy cruising which is an event for sociable people.

Cruise lines are like automobile manufacturers...........if you desire luxury or status - there are several to choose from...........if you want utility and convenience - there are lots to choose from............so don't expect more than the brand delivers. You won't get a Lexus ride in a Chevy, Jeep or a Smart Car.

Very Well Said my dear Wizard friend :)!!!!!!! This is exactly why we choose to cruise with people like you and Mean Mary :D

Hope you are having an amazing adventure!!!! Watch out for the frogs :eek::p

Dee

Just been reading reviews written about various Royal Caribbean ships, a lot of them are saying the same - What on earth is happing to Royal Caribbean. The service is becoming very also ran, cabins are being handed over to passengers dirty. The food is becoming so repetitive and boring. The quality of the food especially the meat is very poor. Lots of people are saying that they have had enough and are going elsewhere.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out there that will say they they have had a wonderful time on RC, but the ones that haven't seem to increase rather a lot.

I am obviously NOT reading the same reviews, not have i encountered any of those problems on our cruise a month ago. Don't believe everything you read. Most people seem to complain about the slightest thing. Go and experience it for yourself..

I haven't ever had a bad cruise, and things weren't always perfect, but in life things seldom are.. :cool:

I continue to be amazed by the number of people who rant and rave against Royal, but continue to sail on their ships. I personally like Royal and I think that is evident in my cruise history.

If you don't like something and continue to subject yourself to it, you need mental health counseling. Give yourself and the rest of us a break and find a new cruise line. If you are still unhappy, the problem is YOU, not the cruise lines. Take up solitaire, then you will truly have nobody to blame but yourself.

Amen!! Preach it,Bob...

I too would not continue to invest my money and vacation time in a company that does not meet my needs. We like Royal as well as a couple of other lines and will sail with the one that works best for us at the time.

I also do not understand putting stock in who the cruise director is. He or she has never made much of an impact to us.

like-button.jpg

I do not keep giving my hard earned money to any business that I do not like. I don't keep going back to land based restaurants I do not like. I won't by a car of the same make again that I did not like. I won't continue to frequent a business that I do not like. I won't continue to purchase a brand item again and again if I did not like it.......... So I don't get it with people that cruise RCI over and over and over and complain over and over and over again about how they don't like it, that they hate this , that and the other thing! :confused:

Absolutely subjective but I just went on my first cruise and honestly, was slightly disappointed. Many people rave to me about the customer service. I did have a Great vacation cause well, I was on vacation in the Caribbean!, great room attendant but other than that, I felt customer service and guidance was, for the most part, horrible. San Juan port was overwhelming and non-helpful. We stopped eating in the main dining room as I couldn't take it any more. It was strange. They were obviously working very hard but unorganized and unpleasant and 3 nights our food was wrong and cold so we didn't go back (Giovanis was nice but the food was still eh.) The hosts were quite rude actually. MTD seemed to be the problem but we had 6:30 reservations every night and it was still a nightmare.

Isn't going to stop me from cruising again but cruises are expensive and I would think they would have the dining and host situation a little better under control.

And the food was....fine. But just fine but than I'm a foodie so that makes me picky ;)

And in my opinion, cc might get more reviews (positive and negative) if everyone would stop bashing each other's opinions. It's aggravating and makes you not want to post.

I, too, have tried other cruise lines and have come back to Royal. I've met many wonderful people on my cruises and look for cruises to sail with them again. Because of this, I will now be sailing solo because I know there will be people onboard that I know and will be included in activities with them. I'm tired of hearing negative comments about their ships, especially Harmony which hasn't even sailed yet. If one is so unhappy with the ship, food and entertainment, then why spend the money to sail with Royal? Some people are just never going to be happy, no matter what. Like Internetwhiz said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

I guess being critical on a cruise critic is...ummm inappropriate? Why does everyone have hurtphelioma and take everyone's opinions personally? This is one of the problems with this world.. Everyone is so freaking sensitive.

Yes, people are too sensitive these days but I do not think that pertains here. Cruisecritic. is to critique cruise lines, not other people's opinions as we are all such entitled to.

I learned a lot reading people's opinions of good and bad. When you slap someone for having an opinion, it hurts the cruisecritic concept, don't you think?

So my opinion is that the food on Adventure is subpar. I will still cruise with them again as the trip was wonderful but have learned to not eat MTD . Hopefully my opinion will help someone else.

Very happy to hear that your family had a great time.

I do get tired of posts that suggest everyone can have a great time on every cruise. It just isn't the case. Even those who generally try to made the best of any experience.

What would you do if you had to spend five nights sleeping in a cabin that stunk of sewage? Would you choose to be happy? Is that really a choice?

I have a theory about the "sewer gas smells" in some cabins.

Have you ever noticed that the bathrooms are about an inch or so above the cabin floor? The bath drains into this area and some water always seems to remain between the base floor and the bathroom floor. If you listen at the floor drain while draining the bathtub, you can sometimes hear the water moving through that area. We have had some success pouring several ice bucket full of water down that floor drain and flushing that area somewhat. We also place a wet washcloth or towel over that drain and it will significantly reduce or eliminate any of these odors.

We just came off of Jewel of the Seas and this was our first RCCL cruise. We have cruised before on Carnival. We enjoyed our cruise with a few exceptions that really bothered us.

Windjammer, the food is just not that good at all. And the layout of all the stations caused so many "traffic jams" because there were was no sensible flow or room. The only good thing about WJ was the Made to Order Omlette station. At lease we knew what we were going to get was hot!

The first morning of breakfast, they scheduled an inspection and the dishwasher was out. They ran out of plates, glasses, etc. At one point they were handing out paper plates.

MDR was a hit or miss. I got a steak one night and it was as thin as a breakfast porkchop. But it was edible. The Turkey on Thanksgiving, that was just nasty. But our server in the MDR was nothing but Fantastic! He was genuinely interested in us as a couple and what we liked and didnt like. And even asked the next night when I missed the dinner before, if I was feeling better!

Chops.. by far WAY BETTER than Carnival's Steakhouse. We ate there twice. Service was impeccable.

Portofino's... was DISGUSTING. My steak was raw when I ordered it medium and then it took forever to get it corrected, which by the time I got it to eat my husband was done. Service was poor.

All other crew members were fantastic!

The ship was dated but it's due for dry dock, so hopefully the changes will be good.

We booked another cruise for 2016 for Europe and hope that it will be a good experience as well.

Have you ever noticed that the bathrooms are about an inch or so above the cabin floor? The bath drains into this area and some water always seems to remain between the base floor and the bathroom floor. If you listen at the floor drain while draining the bathtub, you can sometimes hear the water moving through that area. We have had some success pouring several ice bucket full of water down that floor drain and flushing that area somewhat. We also place a wet washcloth or towel over that drain and it will significantly reduce or eliminate any of these odors.

I will have to give that a try next time I run into this situation. Thanks.

This is a very common issue on moving ships. What happens is, there's a one-way scupper (valve, whatever) down in the drain that commonly breaks or gets stuck. The bucket of water trick usually works.