What on earth is happening to royal caribbean

Chops.. by far WAY BETTER than Carnival's Steakhouse...

Wow. That may very well be the first time Ive ever seen that posted and it certainly doesnt give me much hopes for my reservation at Prime on Magic if Chops is "WAY BETTER" :( Its subjective though so I will keep my reservation.

Personally, I think Chops has gone downhill in all areas. Of course my last two experiences were on Freedom of the Seas and I realize it can vary greatly from ship to ship. Hopefully my experience on Magic will be better. I doubt I will ever dine in Chops again.

• 1 month later...

By circumstance, we booked a one-week vacation at a resort in the Dominican Republic because it was a family event. Had not been to a land resort in several years - busy cruising! In fact, we had just completed a TA on RCI a couple of months earlier. There was no comparison, hands-down the land resort won.

The food was better by an order of magnitude. Fresher; many, many more choices; more interesting food themes and variations. Just better all around.

Loungers - always lots available, both by the beach and by the pool. There was some chair-hogging/ reserving, but it didn't matter, because there were always more loungers than people.

The resort was all-inclusive, and that meant no extra charges for beer, wine, mixed drinks.

Activities - many were available free through the resort, and others had a surcharge - for example para-sailing. That cost $40.00 When was the last time you paid $40 for a ship excursion?

The cruise lines are no longer competing with each other. They are competing for tourist dollars.

We're booked with RCI for early Feb. If this upcoming cruise doesn't live up to the one-week land vacay at half the price, I will become a landlubber.

• 2 months later...
By circumstance, we booked a one-week vacation at a resort in the Dominican Republic because it was a family event. Had not been to a land resort in several years - busy cruising! In fact, we had just completed a TA on RCI a couple of months earlier. There was no comparison, hands-down the land resort won.

The food was better by an order of magnitude. Fresher; many, many more choices; more interesting food themes and variations. Just better all around.

Loungers - always lots available, both by the beach and by the pool. There was some chair-hogging/ reserving, but it didn't matter, because there were always more loungers than people.

The resort was all-inclusive, and that meant no extra charges for beer, wine, mixed drinks.

Activities - many were available free through the resort, and others had a surcharge - for example para-sailing. That cost $40.00 When was the last time you paid $40 for a ship excursion?

The cruise lines are no longer competing with each other. They are competing for tourist dollars.

We're booked with RCI for early Feb. If this upcoming cruise doesn't live up to the one-week land vacay at half the price, I will become a landlubber.

Yea, Casa de Campo is reported to be World Class!!

Just been reading reviews written about various Royal Caribbean ships, a lot of them are saying the same - What on earth is happing to Royal Caribbean. The service is becoming very also ran, cabins are being handed over to passengers dirty. The food is becoming so repetitive and boring. The quality of the food especially the meat is very poor. Lots of people are saying that they have had enough and are going elsewhere.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out there that will say they they have had a wonderful time on RC, but the ones that haven't seem to increase rather a lot.

Hmm, I have never experienced any of these. I have always recieved outstanding

service. I haven't noticed any "cut backs". I have never had a bad expereicne

on RCCL.

Hmm, I have never experienced any of these. I have always recieved outstanding

service. I haven't noticed any "cut backs". I have never had a bad expereicne

on RCCL.

It's a small percentage of passengers that are on CC and a percentage of those are complainers. We, too, have never had a bad experience on any of the Royal ships we've been on. Sure, we were in a severe storm on Legend (was confined to our cabins) but we never thought to sue the company or bad mouth the captain (for pitty's sake we were in the ocean and that's the chance you take).

As for leaving the cruising world for an all inclusive resort, no thanks. We cruise to see the world and you can't do that sitting on a beach at an all inclusive resort.

Just off Enchantment of the Seas Friday which had 1600 plus Spring Breakers. She is one of the few ships in RCI doing 3/4 night cruises with turn around happening twice a week. Neither on this cruise nor other recent RCI cruises have we seen a degradation of service.

We did Chops twice last week and had excellent food and service. Although we signed up for MTD we decided to use the Windjammer (WJ) for the other evening meals. The selection of food and quality was excellent. All our breakfasts were in the WJ. We had an excellent service gal who was 4 months into her first contract that was very attentive to our needs while seated in her area. I mentioned her by name in our RCI cruise critique.

The entire staff from barmen to senior officers did a great job in controlling the large crowds of college kids. Few were disruptive with the majority being polite. There were the usual drunks and they were treated accordingly by security. I did attend the disco in the Viking Crown each night and it was jammed. Kudos to the entire crew!!!!!

I just finished reading this entire thread, and am astonished at some of the venom spewed! Isn't everyone entitled to their opinion? Noticing a decline in a specific area of service does not make someone a "complainer," and thinking another area is wonderful does not make someone a "cheerleader."

I happen to love the Royal ships. I love that there are plenty of different things to do for every activity level in the group that I'm traveling with. I love the "big ships." That said, I am also a bit of a foodie, and have clearly noticed a decline in my own PERSONAL dining experience. Waiters used to take the time to do tricks, tell jokes and learn your name. I haven't had that on my last couple of cruises. The attire in the MDR used to feel more "special" to me. Now it's far more casual. I used to struggle to pick "just" one or two appetizers and "just" one entree at dinner. Now, I struggle to find something in each course that I want to eat.

On my last cruise, I finally decided to pay the up-charge to get steak and lobster. When it came, there was what appeared to be a HUGE bug in my mashed potatoes. The head waiter later told me it was a spice, said he would refund my money and bring me a new entree. I took the refund, but had lost my appetite. While I did appreciate how this was handled, I didn't enjoy the experience. Does that make me a "complainer?" No. It makes me realistic. I used to look forward to the bagels with lox for breakfast in the WJ. On my last cruise, this was gone. My room service order took more than two hours to arrive? Should I say it was okay that I was asleep before my food came?

There are things I still love about RCCL, and things that I have noticed going in a direction I don't love. Am I ready to give up cruising RCCL? NO! But I have lowered my expectations in certain areas, and I'm not thrilled about that.

I used to look forward to the bagels with lox for breakfast in the WJ. On my last cruise, this was gone.

Did you ask for it? I assume part of the cut backs is that they don't put it out to use less of it so they usually hide it back there somewhere.

For me has been mixed. As some cabin attendants, waiters, and other staff have been exceptional, others have been awful. When the service has been very bad, I have visited Guest Services and requested a refund on gratuities. We all have the right to reduce the amount or request a refund. When RCI and its crew members see there's a decline on gratuities, they'll do the necessary changes. I can bet you that.

Just been reading reviews written about various Royal Caribbean ships, a lot of them are saying the same - What on earth is happing to Royal Caribbean. The service is becoming very also ran, cabins are being handed over to passengers dirty. The food is becoming so repetitive and boring. The quality of the food especially the meat is very poor. Lots of people are saying that they have had enough and are going elsewhere.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out there that will say they they have had a wonderful time on RC, but the ones that haven't seem to increase rather a lot.

All the cruise lines seem to be cutting back in an effort to become more profitable. It is dangerous to increase prices because people are so price conscious.

On my last cruise, I finally decided to pay the up-charge to get steak and lobster. When it came, there was what appeared to be a HUGE bug in my mashed potatoes. The head waiter later told me it was a spice, said he would refund my money and bring me a new entree. I took the refund, but had lost my appetite. While I did appreciate how this was handled, I didn't enjoy the experience.

We found a hair in a salad. I complained to the waiter, and he said someone would be calling me in the cabin. But they never did. Same cruise where we had cherries instead of cranberries in the cranberry sauce. Should have tasted better, but it didn't. This happened the same weekend the Costa Concorcia sank, so everyone was distracted.

Our first cruise was on The Sovereign over 10 years ago. I was amazed. I have the pics of the midnight buffets with the ice sculptures. Loved it. Looking back, it's perception. In that cruise we had a terrible room, smell was awful on the second floor, stormed so bad I was flung out of bed. None of that ruined anything for me! Now I'll say I was young and inexperienced so now a days I might see all of that differently, IDK. But I know I've had amazing cruises and some that were meh. Depended on things like it being the last cruise before a crew switch over, personal experiences, weather, bad shore excursions, etc. However, I've never had a bad cruise. And the ships compared to that itty bitty Sovereign are mind blowing. And even though I see all the "bad" things that happened on my first cruise, that is one of the happiest memories of my life. So, just let it go and enjoy your vacations[emoji4]

Just off Enchantment of the Seas Friday which had 1600 plus Spring Breakers. She is one of the few ships in RCI doing 3/4 night cruises with turn around happening twice a week. Neither on this cruise nor other recent RCI cruises have we seen a degradation of service.

We did Chops twice last week and had excellent food and service. Although we signed up for MTD we decided to use the Windjammer (WJ) for the other evening meals. The selection of food and quality was excellent. All our breakfasts were in the WJ. We had an excellent service gal who was 4 months into her first contract that was very attentive to our needs while seated in her area. I mentioned her by name in our RCI cruise critique.

The entire staff from barmen to senior officers did a great job in controlling the large crowds of college kids. Few were disruptive with the majority being polite. There were the usual drunks and they were treated accordingly by security. I did attend the disco in the Viking Crown each night and it was jammed. Kudos to the entire crew!!!!!

We were on Enchantment just before you and also had mostly spring breakers.

It was one of the best cruises we have had in years! The entire crew was especially helpful and friendly. I also mentioned them by name in my survey.

We had no problems or complaints except that three days weren't enough :)

I think reading this thread is a fine demonstration of what makes the world go round. What we each like is different and, we can have the same experience and feel quite differently about it.

I agree there is evidence of cost containment. RCI is a publicly owned corporation and, in a low interest environment, shareholders are demanding about return. Most of the efforts the firm has made in this capacity are something not too problematic I think. No pen or notepad in the room etc. Where I see a big change in RCI is the effort to follow trends on other cruise lines with such things as space allocated just to suite pax or changing the menu in Chops to follow that of some popular major US steakhouse. There was a strong thread about the suite changes and some really like them, others not.

We always loved Chops, now not so much but it's because of the menu changes.

From a service point of view the staff work to the majority of cruise pax in trying to manage taste. So when we travelled on a cruise out of Southampton, there was mint sauce not jelly. Hate the sauce myself as it generally has a vinegar base but staff found me jelly when I asked. The bacon was British bacon and more hammy.... etc.

But to me, the whole concept of reviews being very individual is summed up by the day I had fish tacos for lunch in the dining room and told the waiter I thought they were great while I overhead the woman 2 tables over tell her waiter they were disgusting. Disgusting!! (loudly and with emphasis) and sent them back....

We've been on a lot of RCI cruises and we have had only 2 where we thought the ship was below standard. The remainder have been great. Very occasionally a difficult crew member but most are very very good and trying hard.

People are entitled to hate something I enjoy. I think overall though, there has been a lot of change in the last 5 years. People had a vision of what the RCI brand represented. And nearly everything has had a change. It's unsettling to people who feel they have found a vacation place they want to go to again and again.

That is where I think the cruise line needs to pause. I'm sure that at the executive level, it's viewed as 'continuous improvement' but at the customer level there is a sense of not being able to trust what the brand represents.

That is where I think the cruise line needs to pause. I'm sure that at the executive level, it's viewed as 'continuous improvement' but at the customer level there is a sense of not being able to trust what the brand represents.

Well said!

Most people who complain about the cruise complain about everything in general on a regular basis anyway, so anytime we see complaints we ignore them and judge for ourselves.

Are these people saying everything back home on a daily basis for eating out, hotels and entertainment is so perfect compared to most people describe as trivial matters?

Of course, there are always some major concerns, but does every little thing that in most cases is minor to most people have to become like the world is coming to an end because a few think the meat has no flavor? Really? I guess a burger at Micky D's is like Prime Filet.

Wife and I are Diamond + and daughter (30) has just reached Diamond, so we have a base of experience to pull from. Both her and I feel the same, cruising is still a good vacation but not a great one. Years ago we went on at least one cruise a year if not two and only did land based vacations every 5 years or so, that has now flipped. Daughter just got off the Allure, she was really surprised at the lack of service and attitude of most of the staff. She said "most" treated you in a way that was clear they were going through the motions, neither caring nor uncaring. She had a good time and met some nice passengers and staff, but before, the staff being friendly and engaging was something you could not miss on RCCI.

The cost of a cruise is comparable to an all inclusive vacation now, but when you factor in the alcohol and added dining options it has actually became more expensive. Comparing the two types of vacation are apples and oranges, I realize that. But at the end of the day most people will lean towards the one they feel gives you the most bang for the buck, for us we've really enjoyed the All Inclusive route. The AI concept has really expanded in the last 10 years and it reminds us of the cruise industry 20+ years ago, different locations all trying to out do the others to gain and maintain your business. The food and restaurants have really came a long way, I've had many dinners that rival or exceed anything I've had onboard RCCI.

That being said, there are things on a cruise no one can duplicate. Sitting on my balcony drinking my morning coffee watching the ocean is awesome!!! Heck, just being on the ocean is an experience second to none and it can't be replicated. Food and experience reviews are personal taste, while one loves burgers and beer at the Windjammer another may be upset they only had shrimp 3 times in the MDR. Most reviews you can get a feel for the persons taste and attitude, then you can determine if it's inline with your tastes.

You will have critics (here especially) on both sides, some love cruising and will defend it with their life and others hate it and will bash it at every turn. Both are passionate because they feel right, that's human nature, it's your job to determine if a cruise is right for you. But to discount the others opinion based on nothing other than it's different than yours, is silly at best and stupid at worst.