What on earth is happening to royal caribbean

Sorry I did mean 2004 - year the QM2 was launched. Meant to go back and edit and forgot and pressed submit. Actually I think 1994 was the year I first started thinking about cruising (it was not so popular here in the UK back then, with limited choice) and finally did it in 2004!

Edited by Chelsea1

Everything you mentioned above is available to you on Seabourn, Regent, Azamara, Crystal, Windstar, etc.

Available at a price beyond what I am willing to pay. I'm not even saying that I want those things, I am saying that I used to get more for my money. The quality of service has declined, and the cost has gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This total BS, and you know it!!

In the 1980-1990's there were standards for Hotels, Airlines, Trains, Restaurants, & YES Cruise Lines!! WE ARE NOT SELF ABSORBED, ENTITLED, RICH CHILDREN!!

What were are is Consumers, who should get something meaningful for there money!!!!

Chill bruh.

Lol...I did too! Well, as a first year sophomore. ;)

As for the "product" I believe so many things are what you make of them.

A couple of years back, my family went on Allure. Our dining room head waiter was truly awful to my then 12 year old son. He refused to bring him fries with his steak when we asked the first night. We thought it was something that couldn't be done, but then his cousin at a different table got fries with his steak. When he asked for vanilla ice cream, the waiter rolled his eyes at him and told him (not in a friendly way) that he should try something new. On formal night, the waiter took the kids' menu from my son and told him he had to order off the adult menu. We of course told him in both instances that he could have what he wanted. It went on and on every night and for complicated reasons, we could not change tables.

In all of this....even with how much my son hated to go to dinner every night, in his opinion, it was a GREAT cruise. He loved every other moment of the whole week.

Did you not talk to the maitre d' about the problem?

Bullying should not be tolerated.

I dont think the service is declining. I think its 2015, we are offended by everything, we have this lofty unpractical expectation of entitlement and self importance, and believe everything and any given time should be catered for them and as they wish. We want to ignore the practical and reasonable world and want ti snap into this world if grumpy upset whinny "customer" when one little thing is as perfect as our imaginations predicted it. You see it in society everyday..... The rich college kids demanding college equality right now.... Case in point....

I think you have hit the nail on the head! I am a nurse and I see the same thing in healthcare. But times have changed. I used to be respected as a member of the healthcare team. I now get told to go to ........ and get treated like dirt by families, while I am supposed to cater to every whim. I think it went downhill when our profession decided to wear scrubs instead of professional looking attire. Maybe since cruises are less formal, behavior has followed.

Your college comparison actually made me laugh out loud. Kids make a choice to go to an expensive school (when they have a community college nearby), kids take out an enormous amount of loans. Kids are now protesting that their loans are unaffordable and they want the taxpayers to bail them out!

I will be Diamond Plus in December and I cruise both RCCL and Celebrity. I have not had a bad experience on any ship, unless it involved other customers (i.e. chairhogs, seat savers, rude tablemates), and has never been from any staff members. I do agree that I miss the routine filet mignon in the dining room, along with free soda and other nice touches. But I feel the consumer has changed their expectations and the cruise lines have followed.

Edited by KKMurphy2

Available at a price beyond what I am willing to pay. I'm not even saying that I want those things, I am saying that I used to get more for my money. The quality of service has declined, and the cost has gone up.

I agree that service has declined a bit (my first cruise was 2008 and we are Diamond on Royal, Platinum on CCL), but I don't remember the "early days". In the 7 years we've been cruising the prices have stayed about the same. Our first cruise in Aug '08 cost about $110/day pp in an inside cabin on the Carnival Conquest. A similar cruise this past summer was about the same. We've cruised Royal every Feb for the last 6 years, usually in a Prominade cabin. Again, the cost has consistently been about $100/day pp. The value of money has declined some over these last 7 years (inflation), so actually the cost to cruise has come down, probably due to increasing ship size.

We can vote with our feet and patronize the line with the service and perks we want and pay accordingly, or we can accept the amenities the cruise line offers at the lower price we're comfortable with.

I see Royal is planning to offer some extra service at the higher priced cabins, something like NCL Haven class, I believe. Haven't really investigated it since it's way out of my league. The only Suite I'm likely to book will be the Ben & Jerry's Sweet. Carnival has eliminated the table cloths in the MDR and is heading towards once a day room make-up/turndown. Now that's service cuts!

I don't care. I leave Saturday for 21 days on the Carnival Freedom for an average of $75/day pp, taxes, fees, $200 total OBC and gratuities all included.

The repetitive menus are getting old. I don't know how people can use one cruise line over and over and not get bored with the menus.

I'm with you. At home DW prepares a different dish for dinner very night, which is delightful. I never know what to expect.

HANG ON, I just realised - we had steak, eggs and chips last night. I'm pretty sure I remember having that back in July 2013. What the heck!! I'll be sorting that out!:)

Seriously????????????? Cruising has gone downhill becasue they have a rotating menu?????? Almost 100 nights at sea with RC, and have managed to find something to eat on every one of them.

Did you not talk to the maitre d' about the problem?

Bullying should not be tolerated.

Complicated, extended family situation. Had we been on our own, we would have dealt with it differently. We didn't consider him a bully. Just a jerk, which Iis how our son saw it too.

Edited by momof3cruisers

This total BS, and you know it!!

In the 1980-1990's there were standards for Hotels, Airlines, Trains, Restaurants, & YES Cruise Lines!! WE ARE NOT SELF ABSORBED, ENTITLED, RICH CHILDREN!!

What were are is Consumers, who should get something meaningful for there money!!!!

Why are you yelling?

So are you saying you no longer cruise or are you stupid like the rest of us? :D
Big G what I find stupid is that post! RCL has plenty of incentive to keep their product fresh and appealing to the masses. Here are a few reasons....Carnival, Holland, NCL, etc, the post you are referring to is stuuupid.....:)

I just checked, on what the true value of the $1,000 trip.

A $1,000 in 1991 would be worth around $1,755 today 11/24/15.

At the time, the Majesty of the Seas, was the World's Largest Ship and Royal's most expensive offering. SO lets compare this to Royals largest, most premium ship currently, The Allure of the Seas.

Booking Allure of the Seas, Feb. 7th, 2016, in a cheapest inside cabin:

7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise

Cruise: $2,798.00

Taxes: $233.00

1/2 off -700.00

=$2,331

**$100.00 On-board Credit**

Then we also need to add gratuities, Specialty Dining (standards are not what the were in 1991 Main Dining Room), Soda card, & More Cash, for MUCH higher bar tab/bar gratuity. **WE pay for non-included Airfare!**

SO are we really even anywhere close to even. With inflation the 1991 Majesty Cruise is $1,755 semi-inclusive. Airfare is included.

Allure of the Seas, "basic cruise only" is $2,331 which does NOT include airfare. When you add airfare, specialty dining, higher loss gambling, sodas, upgraded coffee, MUCH more expensive bar drinks/mandatory gratuities, higher photo, spa, excursion pricing; then really where are we? I say your easily in the $3--$4,000 range, easy!!!

So quality for quality what is better?

Summery at 2015 Values: Cruise Pricing

Majesty in 1991 at $1,755 in current $$ value

Allure at 2015 at around $3,500

Many would say that Majesty in 1991 was by FAR a better value for the money, a better, semi-inclusive product, which is over $1,500++ LESS than Allure, non-inclusive, in 2015. :eek:

Have RCL statements from the 90's to the present and your numbers aren't even close!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Perhaps the cuts have not hit the Majesty yet, the cuts appear to happen at the same time a ship has a make over.

I do not think I am entitled to a 5 star service, the ships are not 5 star, never have been as fair as I am concerned. I do however expect to be talked to in a civil manor/way, not shouted at. I did not shout or rave just asked a couple of questions. The staff at the deck were down right rude for no reason. They were like that with most people not just us.

I don't believe a word of it, you have lost all credibility with your statement of... "The staff at the deck were down right rude for no reason. They were like that with most people not just us."......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

"Originally Posted by Hoopster95 View Post

Everything you mentioned above is available to you on Seabourn, Regent, Azamara, Crystal, Windstar, etc."

While the gas, groceries, clothing, painter/plumber/electrician, doctor, everything you do in life today, etc... costs double what you paid for 20 years ago, it seems many cruisers today are not willing to pay double for their 2015 cruise experience, and therefore they must "endure" a declining cruise experience they once had... But they don't have to "endure" any decline whatsoever if they pay double (ie. Azamara, Regent, etc) like they do with every other product and service they currently pay for today with 2015 dollars.

So I just don't understand... if one pays double today, one gets the same value that they used to get, but many still want to pay 1/2 to get the same they used to get 20 years ago? Just doesn't make any sense at all. So I suggest those doctors/electricians/plumbers/etc quoted above, and of course all of us personally as well, reduce our take home pay and our pensions by 1/2 but we all have to deliver the same amount and quality of work we have been doing all along... hey, no problem asking RCL or any other producer or supplier of a product to do that so why shouldn't we personally, right?

Room service pizza last night. No sauce, 3 pepperoni, and maybe an ounce of cheese. Now I know why they sent Ketchup

Apologies, but I have to quote someone to attach a picture. Weird.

But here is the absolute worst pizza I have ever seen. Just don't understand how this ever was OK'd to leave the kitchen.

1448656098459.jpg.0c02b18a738328753a167a7949d03b78.jpg

Are you serious?

If Royal ever goes down that road, that's when I will question which cruise line is my top choice.

That info is a tad incorrect. There is a card in your cabin that gives you the option of having your cabin steward once or twice a day and it is only on a couple of ships. Something new they are trying out.

That info is a tad incorrect. There is a card in your cabin that gives you the option of having your cabin steward once or twice a day and it is only on a couple of ships. Something new they are trying out.

But I guess you could say that they're moving towards a once a day turn down service.

How about the tablecloth comment? True?

But I guess you could say that they're moving towards a once a day turn down service.

How about the tablecloth comment? True?

Yes, from what I have read on the Carnival board, there are no tablecloths used, other than formal nights. It is something like "American Menu" concept.

I used the $1,000 figure, based on a prior comment about that very amount in around 1990. Inflation from that time period is around 170% not the full 200% many people would think. Thus your cruise would not be double price. Also wages are stagnant, so the cruise companies are just on a mad profit grab, with less staffing.

We went on our first RCL cruise in 2012. Already then ppl were complaining about the service and food getting worse. We thought the cruise was perfect. Since then we've been on another two cruises, one on the Allure and another returning to the Radiance for a second time this past summer. On all three cruises the service was top notch and the food was great. And on all three cruises, while still onboard, we encountered other guests who were hating the cruise for what seemed to us like really silly reasons. For instance, we got to the Windjammer on the Allure a few minutes b4 opening time, so naturally a line started to form. The man in front of us went on and on about how annoying it is to stand in lines on vacation and this being a terrible ship bla bla bla, when this particular line could have easily been avoided if he just chose to show up five minutes later when the Windjammer had already opened (not to mention it's not a big deal to begin with to stand in a short line to get into a restaurant...we all do it at home).

We found that the ppl who were complaining were really nitpicking and ruining their own vacation.

I think a big part of a vacation is your attitude. If you're looking for reasons to get mad - you'll find them. We have enjoyed all three of our cruises immensely and have seen no decline in service or food over the past 3 years.

Edited by alaskawdw12