Latest on the 7 bottle wine buy?

Flatbush Flyer

Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen any recent news about the seven bottle wine purchase deal (I think it was about $40/bottle) with selections that varied from time to time.

I've seen an order form from our Med cruise on Riviera this past summer, which differed from one published here on CC months prior (and didn't have quite as good a list).

So, I'm asking if O is still doing this and if anyone can post a pdf of a recent order form list (preferably from Marina). Thanks!

We were on Marina this past September and purchased the 7 Bottle wine package when we boarded. They emphasized that the selections we made at that point were not final, and that the sommeliers would be able to make substitutions for a better choice :confused:.

Previously when we purchased a wine package when first boarding, the wines were not available the initial night at dinner. However, this time we were told that we would be able to use one of our selections at dinner that evening. Nice!

The price was about $42 from what we remember and we were very pleased with the outcome. On 4 occasions (out of the 7) a substitution was made for us and we were provided with (what we felt) was a superior wine to what we had picked. The sommeliers seemed to like the program as well since they had some flexibility and were able to use their knowledge.

As for a list, we never got one. When we made our initial selections the order form was taken from us and we were simply given a receipt for seven bottles. So I am unable to provide you with a list. I am thinking that we had somewhere between 40-45 selections from which to choose, but as I have indicated, those could be substituted by sommeliers for something not on the list.

Perhaps someone on Marina now or close to your sailing could provide you with a recent list.

Enjoy your sailing.;)

I am on board the Riviera right now and there is a 7 bottle pack available. The price is $42.50 per bottle and DOES include gratuity.

There was a listing in our room when I arrived.

I will post it later on my live thread if it is of interest and will try to post it here as well if it is of help.

I am on board the Riviera right now and there is a 7 bottle pack available. The price is $42.50 per bottle and DOES include gratuity.

There was a listing in our room when I arrived.

I will post it later on my live thread if it is of interest and will try to post it here as well if it is of help.

Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for. When they first rolled out this deal, the list I saw was very interesting in that there was quite a mix of values including several with local SF retail prices in the $30+ range (e.g., a Grgich Chardonnay). Of course, there were plenty of $10 items as well (though all were priced at the $42.50 point). It looked very much like it was an inventory clearance and a fairly knowledgeable wine enthusiast could make some good value choices.

We'll be headed out of Valparaiso on Marina just after New Year's. Though we'll probably pick up some Chilean wine, the problem there is that Chilean quality is all over the map and the prices for the better wines are often less expensive here in California. So, I'm looking forward to seeing the general state of the plan (even if it's what's on Riviera). Again, thanks!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I have seen the wines they offered on Regatta this fall, and while not premier cru they were decent, not outstanding no Petrus or Chateau D 'Yaquem or Romaine Conte ... but enjoyable nice wine..... no Silver Satin or Thunderbird.... ( if you recall those)

Wine by the bottle is I think the way to go as wine by the glass or on the bev package can be an slow to serve, short to pour affair. Service from the bottle appears to be smoother and more practical

Looks good for the price .

I have seen the wines they offered on Regatta this fall, and while not premier cru they were decent, not outstanding no Petrus or Chateau D 'Yaquem or Romaine Conte ... but enjoyable nice wine..... no Silver Satin or Thunderbird.... ( if you recall those)

Wine by the bottle is I think the way to go as wine by the glass or on the bev package can be an slow to serve, short to pour affair. Service from the bottle appears to be smoother and more practical

Looks good for the price .

Sounds like a pretty good deal

Thanks! Exactly what I'm looking for. When they first rolled out this deal, the list I saw was very interesting in that there was quite a mix of values including several with local SF retail prices in the $30+ range (e.g., a Grgich Chardonnay). Of course, there were plenty of $10 items as well (though all were priced at the $42.50 point). It looked very much like it was an inventory clearance and a fairly knowledgeable wine enthusiast could make some good value choices.

We'll be headed out of Valparaiso on Marina just after New Year's. Though we'll probably pick up some Chilean wine, the problem there is that Chilean quality is all over the map and the prices for the better wines are often less expensive here in California. So, I'm looking forward to seeing the general state of the plan (even if it's what's on Riviera). Again, thanks!

here is the wine list that we had - hope this helps :)

d2539c4bd2c3923aa79ab731e0d22121.jpg

edac91dd5558c8a490c41456fd0c7f9f.jpg

All of these wines are available retail at less than $15/ bottle. Add on the corkage fee and one is still paying ess than O's prices. It's a convenience that the passenger is paying dear for. O's wholesale prices are almost assuredly under $10 each, with another $1 or so in cost to get them, in bulk to the ship. In most ports, I prefer to buy better wines and pay the corkage fee. Not sure about Chile though, and availability of quality wines there.

All of these wines are available retail at less than $15/ bottle. Add on the corkage fee and one is still paying ess than O's prices. It's a convenience that the passenger is paying dear for. O's wholesale prices are almost assuredly under $10 each, with another $1 or so in cost to get them, in bulk to the ship. In most ports, I prefer to buy better wines and pay the corkage fee. Not sure about Chile though, and availability of quality wines there.

When compared to some of the original lists when the program was started, this recent Riviera list is a sad disappointment. Looks like a clearance sale at Trader Joe's. It had been theorized on previous posts that the 7 bottle deal is an inventory adjustment mechanism. Looks like that may be the case.

When compared to some of the original lists when the program was started, this recent Riviera list is a sad disappointment. Looks like a clearance sale at Trader Joe's. It had been theorized on previous posts that the 7 bottle deal is an inventory adjustment mechanism. Looks like that may be the case.

That's exactly my thought. None of those would be my choice for drinking. We went to the liquor store on shore, bought some lovely bottles (including a Grgrich Chardonnay) and paid corkage last sailing. One of the pleasures of a being onboard a cruise is a nice bottle of wine with dinner. On our crossing the year before I bought quite a few bottles at a wine sale on board all fabulous. In May, we were beyond disappointed.

That's exactly my thought. None of those would be my choice for drinking. We went to the liquor store on shore, bought some lovely bottles (including a Grgrich Chardonnay) and paid corkage last sailing. One of the pleasures of a being onboard a cruise is a nice bottle of wine with dinner. On our crossing the year before I bought quite a few bottles at a wine sale on board all fabulous. In May, we were beyond disappointed.

Odd you should mention the Grgich. It was actually on the very first list we saw (along with a handful of other $30+ wines). I was hoping they would continue the practice of including a few "loss leaders."

Odd you should mention the Grgich. It was actually on the very first list we saw (along with a handful of other $30+ wines). I was hoping they would continue the practice of including a few "loss leaders."

One one of our early Oceania sailings, you could go the first night to the Sommelier in the Terrace Cafe and order wine for the cruise by the bottle. Select wines, 3 bottle minimum. I remember buying some Far Niente's Nickel and Nickel Cairnloch Cabs for $55 a bottle.

You would think with the association with Wine Spectator, they'd have some good wines keeping in mind that many of their passengers value wine that's drinkable.

One one of our early Oceania sailings, you could go the first night to the Sommelier in the Terrace Cafe and order wine for the cruise by the bottle. Select wines, 3 bottle minimum. I remember buying some Far Niente's Nickel and Nickel Cairnloch Cabs for $55 a bottle.

You would think with the association with Wine Spectator, they'd have some good wines keeping in mind that many of their passengers value wine that's drinkable.

This subject has come up many times and I was able to ask a Corporate Beverage person who happened to be on a cruise with us recently. According to this source, the 3+ bottle package on embarkation day was eliminated because it happened frequently that a passenger would buy the package and then later on in the cruise, become irritated when he could not purchase an additional bottle of the same wine at the same reduced price. According to the source, the Somm's were being harrassed by said passengers who couldn't understand the fact that they discount was only good when purchased as part of the bulk package.

Whether this is the only answer or not, I cannot say, but there seems to be little chance that the embarkation day sale will ever come back. Especially since some passengers think the 7-bottle deal is great!

I'm not trying to be negative here since O is my cruise line of choice and I can't see that changing. We just try to get on board with good wine from our cellar or a handy retailer.

The wines offered are end of inventory[]..... and reasonable ....hey a restaurant has to charge 2 to 3 times what a wine costs in order to inventory it.....

Ya ever take agander at the the wine list at places like the French Laundry? Guy Savoy,

I always get a kick out of the comment "a drinkable wine"

In 50 years I have yet to ever find a wine that was "not drinkable" from Strum in Austria to pitchers of some stuff I had in Slovenia. while caving.

Whether a 1945 Petrus or a Box of Carlo and Rossy 2015 $ $7.95 a gallon all are quite drinkable....and enjoyable. Ill stick my neck out and say you could get just about any sale wine and enjoy it....without even knowing wine that much

Its a practical experience and its amusing to watch people trying to impress each other by their required standards.....gimme'abreak Reminds me of the "Princess and the Pea".

Its a practical experience and its amusing to watch people trying to impress each other by their required standards.....gimme'abreak Reminds me of the "Princess and the Pea".

You know when I first started cruising on Radisson one of the early cruises taught you how to enjoy wines. Everything on board was tasty. But just like a good steak, I know what I like. The wine guy at my local Trader Joe's has turned me on to some lovely $10 wines. If Oceania wants to pour some buttery chardonnay or a nice Sauvignon Blanc, a smooth cabernet - I'd be happy to drink it. Did not find any on the wine list by the glass or in the program worth my nickels.

We are looking to book our first Oceania cruise having cruised with Azamara 7 times

Were on-board are you able to drink wine by the bottle

We like to have a glass prior to dinner each night

Are you able to have a bottle in one of the bars

If you do not finish the bottle, will this be kept until the next night

Or could you take the unfinished bottle to dinner

We are looking to book our first Oceania cruise having cruised with Azamara 7 times

Were on-board are you able to drink wine by the bottle I think they frown on drinking from the bottle ;)

We like to have a glass prior to dinner each night

Are you able to have a bottle in one of the bars you can buy a bottle to drink in the dining venues & bars

If you do not finish the bottle, will this be kept until the next night YES they put your cabin number on it & store it for you

Or could you take the unfinished bottle to dinner

They will probably take the bottle to dining venue for you so you do not look strange carrying an unfinished bottle around the ship

You can take wine onboard & drink it in your cabin or take it the dining venues & pay a corkage fee

Edited by LHT28

Dan;

You have consistently voiced that your palate can't tell the difference between $2 Chuck and a fine quality cab. Some people's palate can't differentiate chicken from pork. Perhaps that is a blessing for you, but don't project your lack of palate , or inexperience in tasting onto other people. Some people have far better palates than you report for yourself. Therefore, other of us have different opinions on the quality of wines offered by Oceania. Advanced age has also proven to be a major determent to tasting ability, something we will all eventually face. O's wines, by the glass, are OK at best, phlonk in some cases to me. I'm the one spending the money so I get to make that determination for myself. If they are great to you, then lucky you!