Freedom Dumps on solos and top tier couples

Royal2464

What causes the problem for the solo cruiser is that the ship has elected to have the mystery theater in Giovannis on night one. Bob wanted to use his coupon in Giovannis but it is not available on night one. So if Bob wants to use his coupon he must choose some other place else for night one. If he chooses Chops he must also eat in Chops night two which precludes him from using the coupon in Giovannis. You are not allowed to split your coupon between two different restaurants.

A couple, on the other hand, can use one person's coupon in Chops on night one and the other person's coupon in Giovannis on night two. They don't both have to use their coupon on night one. RCCL is certainly not known for following its own rules and I believe the ship should of, in this instance, made an accommodation for the solo cruiser.

Sometimes rule writers don't understand all the ramifications when they are penning the rule and adjustments must be made.

That makes a lot more sense. And if enough people wrote that rationally in the cruise reviews for RCI, it's likely that a sane response would result.

That makes a lot more sense. And if enough people wrote that rationally in the cruise reviews for RCI, it's likely that a sane response would result.

Or they would starting holding "theme" meals in all BOGO dining venues on the first two nights.;)

As a solo cruiser, the coupons are a hassle. I'm paying 200% for the cruise, and I always get flustered when a coupon isn't properly assigned or used by a server.

Since I'm still 2ish years from D+, this doesn't have an effect on me today, but it's definitely something that RCCL needs to address properly on that particular ship.

I definitely take issue with the folks who think that just because someone can afford 30+ cruises a year, they shouldn't be concerned with losing $30 in value per cruise. I'm in my early 40s and can afford about 15 cruises a year (3-5 day ones, not 7 day ones) and my friends think I'm crazy to deal chase since I can already afford to cruise a lot. For me, the reason I can afford it is because I am aware of how to stretch my dollars. If I was losing $30 every cruise because an offer didn't work for me, that adds up to probably a cruise a year I'm shorted.

Well, it's tough to feel sorry for someone who can "only" take 14 cruises a year instead of 15 due to the want to take advantage of a coupon.

Especially when one factors in the discounts that D+ members get- which is more than $30/cruise. And for the OP, and when you hit 350 points, the solo price extra is waived. Which is a whole lot more than the $30 lost via incorrect application of a coupon.

Basically, putting this coupon in the same line as all of the rest of the benefits pales in what is already gotten.

Heck, I just realized that we as a couple have to pay for the second passenger in our cabin that the OP does not. Seems like he's getting a $500-1000 advantage over couples already (if not a LOT more).

What causes the problem for the solo cruiser is that the ship has elected to have the mystery theater in Giovannis on night one. Bob wanted to use his coupon in Giovannis but it is not available on night one. So if Bob wants to use his coupon he must choose some other place else for night one. If he chooses Chops he must also eat in Chops night two which precludes him from using the coupon in Giovannis. You are not allowed to split your coupon between two different restaurants.

A couple, on the other hand, can use one person's coupon in Chops on night one and the other person's coupon in Giovannis on night two. They don't both have to use their coupon on night one. RCCL is certainly not known for following its own rules and I believe the ship should of, in this instance, made an accommodation for the solo cruiser.

Sometimes rule writers don't understand all the ramifications when they are penning the rule and adjustments must be made.

Since I just realized this...

The OP is Pinnacle, so pays a reduced payment sailing solo vs double occupancy.

Our D+ status allows me to do the same, but being a couple, we have to pay full price for the second guest.

I save $30 for a second meal as a couple, the OP saves much much more than that sailing solo.

The solo passenger with high enough status wins the cost comparison.

Edited by alfaeric

If they were going to enforce it they should have enforced it from day 1. Not when it became more profitable to do so. Solos now have to eat in the same restaurant the first two nights of the cruise. Couples to use both coupons must delay eating in the MDR until the third night. Excuse me for having a personal preference, but I couldn't care less if you approve of it or not.

Maybe if there was more profit in it they would start enforcing all the other rules they choose to ignore.

Truer words have never been spoken. No problem, I have been accused of being too loyal to Royal many times so I can take the heat for the use of "dumping on." It all goes with having an opinion and expressing it freely. Beside the poor choice of words in the title I have no regrets for posting the information. I do stand by my assertion that there are far too many people here who seem to think their only purpose is to venomously attack posts they disagree with. I still don't know the meaning of the name I was called. Either the word was in a foreign language or spelled incorrectly. Either way I didn't feel comfortable quoting the post in the event it was a profanity or something else offensive.

Maybe the thread would have taken a completely different path if you hadn't posted the first attack post in response to a simple question.

V70, you might want to rethink your post, telling us what level you are, what level you will be, how many suites you have booked, and how many cruises you have been on, makes it sound like you are the perfect person to fit into the group you are talking about:p

Since I just realized this...

The OP is Pinnacle, so pays a reduced payment sailing solo vs double occupancy.

True but his price (150% rate) is a higher per person cost.

Our D+ status allows me to do the same, but being a couple, we have to pay full price for the second guest.

Many of us solo cruisers are solo because of the death of our spouse and have little sympathy for the price you pay to have your spouse with you.

I save $30 for a second meal as a couple, the OP saves much much more than that sailing solo.

Maybe my math is lacking but the cost per meal is the same - Say the charge is $30 per person meals. With your coupons you get four meals for $60 or $15 per meal. The solo pays $30 for two meals or $15 per meal.

The solo passenger with high enough status wins the cost comparison.

Not when broken down to a per person basis.

Things look quite different when you are solo

Edited by Don Pedro

This link has a copy of the details for the coupon. I don't think it is "dumping" on top tier members either.

The restriction is to PURCHASE it on the first or second night. That is where many ships add flexibility to use on another night... as long as it is PURCHASED on the first or second night. And, some ships do not provide that flexibility. We all know that there are some procedural difference in ships. In fact, we've done B2B cruises when the procedures/rules for the first cruise were different from the second crus, even with the same senior staff.

The title was a bit dramatic, but the information is good to know.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Well, it's tough to feel sorry for someone who can "only" take 14 cruises a year instead of 15 due to the want to take advantage of a coupon.

I don't get weekends or holidays off like most people do. My friends who "complain" about my 15+ cruises a year get 104 weekend days off a year, plus 10-15 paid vacation days, plus whatever holidays. 140 days a year that I don't get off. Instead, I work my tail off during warm months (7 days a week, sometimes for 15 days straight) in order to get somewhere around 80-90 days off in winter for longer stints, since I hate Chicago winters.

I don't own a car (saves me $12,000 a year). I don't own a TV or have cable ($2000 a year cost savings). I don't have internet at home ($1000 a year savings) or a fancy cell phone ($200 without contract).

I love cruises, so I adopted a work schedule and a vacation schedule and a lifestyle budget to afford cruising.

Especially when one factors in the discounts that D+ members get- which is more than $30/cruise. And for the OP, and when you hit 350 points, the solo price extra is waived. Which is a whole lot more than the $30 lost via incorrect application of a coupon.

True but when I'm D+ at 175 points, I'll still be paying 200% and not getting the same benefits as a couple paying the same. In fact, something I pay MORE than 200% because I have seen inside cabins for $350 a person that jump up to $850 for a single cruiser because those cabins aren't available for booking solo.

Heck, I just realized that we as a couple have to pay for the second passenger in our cabin that the OP does not. Seems like he's getting a $500-1000 advantage over couples already (if not a LOT more).

And so does a D+ cruiser between 175 and 349 points -- going from D+ to single occupancy discount requires as many cruisers as going from gold to D+.

The restriction is to PURCHASE it on the first or second night. That is where many ships add flexibility to use on another night... as long as it is PURCHASED on the first or second night. And, some ships do not provide that flexibility. We all know that there are some procedural difference in ships. In fact, we've done B2B cruises when the procedures/rules for the first cruise were different from the second crus, even with the same senior staff.

The title was a bit dramatic, but the information is good to know.

M

Really not sure why you quoted me, I just provided a link to the coupon that had been posted.

Really not sure why you quoted me, I just provided a link to the coupon that had been posted.

I quoted you because I thought that helpful link you posted would copy over in case folks wanted to look at the wording. By the time I realized that the link was not in the quote, it was too late to edit out.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I quoted you because I thought that helpful link you posted would copy over in case folks wanted to look at the wording. By the time I realized that the link was not in the quote, it was too late to edit out.

M

Gotcha. I quoted setsail's post again to bring it forward.:)