Freedom Dumps on solos and top tier couples

Royal2464

Your point is well taken and I agree with it. In addition to take 25 to 30 cruises in a year, when a year only have 52 weeks, means they are cruising more than every other week (I realize some are longer cruises or B2B or B2B2B formats). With those nights adding up quickly they will be achieving FREE CRUISES quite a bit.....I just can't share someone's displeasure about how to use the BOGO when they get PLENTY back as it is.

Paulette, check your math. 25 cruises a year is one free every 4 years. Hardly quite a bit

I must be missing something here because I thought the coupon only said the first night. So if I'm remembering that correctly, RCI allowing it to be used on night 2 is still a bending of their rules.

But either way, I'm D+ and in no way, shape or form do I see enforcement of this policy a "dumping" on top tier members. How on God's green Earth can a free item be construed as a "dumping?" :rolleyes:

And your a prime example for the title in this post, thank god you don't frequent the CL....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you are heading down the wrong trail again...haha.. Watch your step...[emoji108]🏻[emoji41][emoji83] is there any particular reason you always take things personally forum jockey?

I don't know the OP and don't have a "dog in the fight" but many of you are very hard on the OP. I don't believe he is upset because rules were not bent for him. The ability it use the coupon on other evenings has been standard practice for a while, on many different ships. Just in the past 6 months, we've used the flexibility on the Rhapsody, Freedom and Enchantment. ALL THREE TIMES, the flexibility to use the second coupon on any evening WAS OFFERED TO US. We did not ask.

The OP is simply providing some updated procedure changes, and I consider that helpful.

M

When we first became D+, the restriction for the first night only was held. So one of us did not get this coupon.

Then, for a handful of cruises, we were offered the same- where we could pay early to use the benefit on any alternate night.

Now- which actually includes our sailing on the Rhapsody this past September, the procedure was for the first two nights- clarifying the first problem that couples could not both use the coupon and when the alternate could be done.

If one can afford to cruise a lot, the middle period would have become significant. Up to $50 per cruise, on the Oasis.

The benefit/coupon has been clarified to apply to just the first two nights, which fixed the confusion that a couple could not both use the coupon and that a single could never really apply the coupon. Done.

yes, it's a clarification of the procedure. Which is good.

But calling it being dumped on is a stretch. And if the OP is trying to make me feel sorry for them and the 25-30 cruises that it's impacting them- I have to deal with it too.

Maybe for every 5th cruise or so, forgo the mystery dinner. So you can use the coupon 5-6 times a year.

I don't know the OP and don't have a "dog in the fight" but many of you are very hard on the OP. I don't believe he is upset because rules were not bent for him. The ability it use the coupon on other evenings has been standard practice for a while, on many different ships. Just in the past 6 months, we've used the flexibility on the Rhapsody, Freedom and Enchantment. ALL THREE TIMES, the flexibility to use the second coupon on any evening WAS OFFERED TO US. We did not ask.

The OP is simply providing some updated procedure changes, and I consider that helpful.

M

How am I being hard on the OP? I understand that it is "standard practice" to bend the rules on this coupon deal, and I was expressing sympathy and understanding at the travesty of being "dumped on," because the rules didn't get bent in that way on one of his many cruises. Poor thing.

I must be missing something here because I thought the coupon only said the first night. So if I'm remembering that correctly, RCI allowing it to be used on night 2 is still a bending of their rules.

The last couple of times I saw a note somewhere (maybe in the compass?) that you could use the coupon on night 1 OR 2.

Paulette, check your math. 25 cruises a year is one free every 4 years. Hardly quite a bit

relative to 99.99% of cruisers, one free cruise every 4 years is quite a bit.

We'll require 20 years just to get the first free cruise.

BTW, after 700 cruises, the free cruise is once every 350 points, so for a solo cruiser, earning double points, it takes 175 nights to get 350 points, which is exactly 25 week long cruises. One per year.

(in a suite- that's 17 weeks of cruising to get 350 points solo).

The last couple of times I saw a note somewhere (maybe in the compass?) that you could use the coupon on night 1 OR 2.

It has officially been changed to using the coupon for the first or second night. The rules have been changed, so it's not bending anything.

It has officially been changed to using the coupon for the first or second night. The rules have been changed, so it's not bending anything.

Thank you. :)

But either way, I'm D+ and in no way, shape or form do I see enforcement of this policy a "dumping" on top tier members. How on God's green Earth can a free item be construed as a "dumping?" :rolleyes:

Aquahound, I don't think you are missing a thing.

The reason they are allowing it over the first two nights is so each person in a partnership (spouse for example) can use their BOGO benefit. It would be a bit award if my wife and I had to each take some random strangers to dinner so we could each benefit from our BOGO perk.:D

EDIT: I don't think it is dumping either.

Edited by A&L_Ont

This link has a copy of the details for the coupon. I don't think it is "dumping" on top tier members either.

I firmly respect everyone having an opinion but as Pinnacle's and D+'s having free and BOGO offers, reserved seating and boarding options, cruise fare discounts, advantages in special requests, and dedicated ship areas I can hardly see that as dumping on us. I have remained loyal to Royal because I like their product. I understand their option to enforce or change policy for whatever reason, including profit.

relative to 99.99% of cruisers, one free cruise every 4 years is quite a bit.

We'll require 20 years just to get the first free cruise.

BTW, after 700 cruises, the free cruise is once every 350 points, so for a solo cruiser, earning double points, it takes 175 nights to get 350 points, which is exactly 25 week long cruises. One per year.

(in a suite- that's 17 weeks of cruising to get 350 points solo).

Didn't realize that. :D

More to look forward to

I posted originally to inform Diamond Plus and Pinnacle cruisers that they would no longer be able to use the BOGO the way it has been used in the past.

I think you would of been OK on the informational part except for the fact you used the phrase Freedom Dumps on solos and top tier couples.

That's where you kinda knew they were going to come after you a bit! ;) You must know its hard to get compassion when complaining about something that's given to you for free. :rolleyes:

M

I remember, back in public speaking 101, we were taught to start with an attention step. The use of the word "dumping" seems to worked quite effectively. To me, it seems that Bob's concern was that he wanted to use his BOGO in Giovannis but this was not possible because the ship was enforcing the rule that the coupon must be used on night one and night two. He could not comply with the rule because Giovannis was being used for the mystery dinner on night one.

Personally I think he has a legitimate point, he has a valid coupon that he cannot use in the restaurant of his choice. This is a problem that primarily affects solo travelers. The ship should have accommodated him.

I remember, back in public speaking 101, we were taught to start with an attention step. The use of the word "dumping" seems to worked quite effectively. To me, it seems that Bob's concern was that he wanted to use his BOGO in Giovannis but this was not possible because the ship was enforcing the rule that the coupon must be used on night one and night two. He could not comply with the rule because Giovannis was being used for the mystery dinner on night one.

Personally I think he has a legitimate point, he has a valid coupon that he cannot use in the restaurant of his choice. This is a problem that primarily affects solo travelers. The ship should have accommodated him.

The problem with using an attention step is using an editorial that is meant to make people mad. Like using "dumping"- it can backfire quite easily- as happened here.

If one is posting "for info only"- no need to add inflaming editorial words.

It is a legitimate point, but am I incorrect that a solo can go to the restaurant twice to use the coupon (once first, once second)? Just like couples have to for both to get the benefit? If we BOTH wanted to use it, we'd have to choose not to do something else on the second night, just like you.

I think you would of been OK on the informational part except for the fact you used the phrase Freedom Dumps on solos and top tier couples.

That's where you kinda knew they were going to come after you a bit! ;) You must know its hard to get compassion when complaining about something that's given to you for free. :rolleyes:

Truer words have never been spoken. No problem, I have been accused of being too loyal to Royal many times so I can take the heat for the use of "dumping on." It all goes with having an opinion and expressing it freely. Beside the poor choice of words in the title I have no regrets for posting the information. I do stand by my assertion that there are far too many people here who seem to think their only purpose is to venomously attack posts they disagree with. I still don't know the meaning of the name I was called. Either the word was in a foreign language or spelled incorrectly. Either way I didn't feel comfortable quoting the post in the event it was a profanity or something else offensive.

I do stand by my assertion that there are far too many people here who seem to think their only purpose is to venomously attack posts they disagree with.

I agree 100%. Or any post that has anything negative whatsoever about Royal Caribbean. Its the same ones every.single.time.

The problem with using an attention step is using an editorial that is meant to make people mad. Like using "dumping"- it can backfire quite easily- as happened here.

If one is posting "for info only"- no need to add inflaming editorial words.

It is a legitimate point, but am I incorrect that a solo can go to the restaurant twice to use the coupon (once first, once second)? Just like couples have to for both to get the benefit? If we BOTH wanted to use it, we'd have to choose not to do something else on the second night, just like you.

What causes the problem for the solo cruiser is that the ship has elected to have the mystery theater in Giovannis on night one. Bob wanted to use his coupon in Giovannis but it is not available on night one. So if Bob wants to use his coupon he must choose some other place else for night one. If he chooses Chops he must also eat in Chops night two which precludes him from using the coupon in Giovannis. You are not allowed to split your coupon between two different restaurants.

A couple, on the other hand, can use one person's coupon in Chops on night one and the other person's coupon in Giovannis on night two. They don't both have to use their coupon on night one. RCCL is certainly not known for following its own rules and I believe the ship should of, in this instance, made an accommodation for the solo cruiser.

Sometimes rule writers don't understand all the ramifications when they are penning the rule and adjustments must be made.

Edited by Don Pedro

What causes the problem for the solo cruiser is that the ship has elected to have the mystery theater in Giovannis on night one. Bob wanted to use his coupon in Giovannis but it is not available on night one. So if Bob wants to use his coupon he must choose some other place else for night one. If he chooses Chops he must also eat in Chops night two which precludes him from using the coupon in Giovannis. You are not allowed to split your coupon between two different restaurants.

A couple, on the other hand, can use one person's coupon in Chops on night one and the other person's coupon in Giovannis on night two. They don't both have to use their coupon on night one. RCCL is certainly not known for following its own rules and I believe the ship should of, in this instance, made an accommodation for the solo cruiser.

Sometimes rule writers don't understand all the ramifications when they are penning the rule and adjustments must be made.

Thank you for explaining the dilemma faced by Royal (the OP). Having never cruised solo, I did not know that the single cruiser gets only one BOGO coupon. Is this correct? Just wondering since a single cruiser accrues double points- I didn't know if they get double coupons. Probably not, I would suppose.

Anyhow, the fact that you can't split the coupon between two restaurants does complicate things. I also didn't realize the Mystery Dinner precluded anyone else from eating in the restaurant on that night. I had "assumed" that maybe only part of the restaurant was used for the Mystery Dinner. Of course, we all know the saying about what happens to people who "assume."

Not having that information, I was thinking the OP wanted to do the Mystery Dinner but faced not being able to do it in order to utilize the benefit. I see now, he is precluded from using the benefit because the restaurant is unavailable to him.

Given these facts, I can definitely see why the OP is a bit annoyed. If you give someone a coupon to use and then put things in place to prevent them from using it, that's quite unfair.

As a solo cruiser, the coupons are a hassle. I'm paying 200% for the cruise, and I always get flustered when a coupon isn't properly assigned or used by a server.

Since I'm still 2ish years from D+, this doesn't have an effect on me today, but it's definitely something that RCCL needs to address properly on that particular ship.

I definitely take issue with the folks who think that just because someone can afford 30+ cruises a year, they shouldn't be concerned with losing $30 in value per cruise. I'm in my early 40s and can afford about 15 cruises a year (3-5 day ones, not 7 day ones) and my friends think I'm crazy to deal chase since I can already afford to cruise a lot. For me, the reason I can afford it is because I am aware of how to stretch my dollars. If I was losing $30 every cruise because an offer didn't work for me, that adds up to probably a cruise a year I'm shorted.

Very good explanation.

The simple solution would be no theme night meals at restaurants that honor BOGO on the first two nights of a cruise. Espically if RC is holding to the rule that it must be used on the first two nights.

It would too easy for RC to impliment this.;)

Ok. I see now. Your explanation paints a much clearer picture than what I read from the OP. Bottom line is, a solo cruiser cannot use the coupon in GT. I still don't agree it's a "dumping on" all top tier and solo cruisers because the OP can still use the coupon...just not in one particular restaurant, which happens to be the restaurant of his choice.

Hi fellow cruisers;

I have read the comments and thought I would throw my two cents in. We are lowly diamond and just got off a 10 day Serenade. We have three more booked in Juniors so will be D + shortly. Last year we paid our first visit to the Diamond club. Had very good service, wife had a wine, and I had a beer. Most people , about 2/3 full said hello, nodded, enjoyed there benefit, but the other 1/3 were the most demanding,loud, and impressed with each other people I have seen in my 48 cruises.If one had done ten this year, the other had done twenty, Being so hi in the pecking order, that the president of Royal probably pays them to come aboard. One jumped up as a couple left, grabbed a third table, and pulled it over to his private domain, where only three people were setting, among his empty other tables and chairs. He told the people next to him" Im Pinnacle". He was anticipating the arrival of his groupies. As the show continued I noticed the first seating people leaving and only a few had ordered double drinks, one in each hand as they exited the door. Rule violation?, but only for the others and not the selected few.

We have been on a few this year and the most part enjoyed our short visits to the Diamond Club, but the ten day, this past month really reinforces the more you get the more you want, and it's okay for some to get one more up on everyone else. is the cost of the extra drink worth you slopping it on others in the elevator , as you are carrying two. Also because you had spent from the first minute the booze appeared to the last call becoming the loud, obnoxious Top tier spoiled individual you are to others.