Freedom Dumps on solos and top tier couples

Royal2464

As a solo cruiser I see Bob's concerns. As I understand it the BOGO may be used on either the first or second night of the cruise and must used for the same restaurant. Chops both nights, Giovannis both nights, Sabor both nights. A husband and wife traveling together can use his BOGO at Chops the first night and her BOGO at Giovannis the second night. Sweet deal.

Not true for the solo cruiser. If he opts for Chops the first night he must eat in Chops on the second night. In the case of the Freedom, Giovannis has a mystery theater the first night so that eliminates the ability to use the BOGO there. In the past most ship's were lenient as to how they applied the rule. Evidently that has changed.

Edited by Don Pedro

Glad to see some folks who are actually eligible for the BOGO offer are weighing in on the matter. While being able to use the offer may seem inconsequential to some, it truly is meaningful to someone who takes 25 - 30 cruises a year. That's between 600 and 900 dollars a year depending upon the restaurant. Sorry, I'm not wealthy enough or foolish enough to be dismissive about that amount of money.

Duke, no they will not allow you to go to Giovanni's one night and Sabor the next.

I posted originally to inform Diamond Plus and Pinnacle cruisers that they would no longer be able to use the BOGO the way it has been used in the past. The Freedom has allowed it for more than two years and I have also used it that way on the Oasis, Allure and Independence. While the original intent may have been to increase customer count the first evening it evolved into morphing the offer to draw more people in throughout the week. That has changed, so be it. However, I will not be a hypocrite and complain about a change and then continue to do the same behavior. My new ship of choice will be the Oasis and or Allure. Eating in the Coastal Kitchen each evening will suffice, no need for specialty restaurants.

While being able to use the offer may seem inconsequential to some, it truly is meaningful to someone who takes 25 - 30 cruises a year.

With all due respect, you are aware that that is perhaps .00001% of the cruising population. Pinnacles enjoy a tremendous level of perks. Of course $30 per week for 25-30 cruises comes to a significant number but it is very hard to generate much empathy for someone who chooses to live on a cruise ship for 6 months out of the year. I'm sure you worked very hard to earn this lifestyle and I congratulate you for your dedication. But the hostility on what is arguably a minor issue for most cruisers seems a bit over the top. Perhaps it's all in the approach. I'm sure a gentle and friendly request to the restaurant manager or concierge as a solo Pinnacle traveler might get you an exemption - if you did it kindly and not in the manner you have posted here. It's amazing what anyone in business will do for a loyal client if they are treated respectfully instead of aggressively. Just saying...

Just to clear up some confusion, while the OP is pinnacle, the buy one get one offer is available to diamond plus passengers also. Many other passengers have enjoyed the extended privilege of the benefit. While don't consider RCCL dumping on anyone to actually enforce the terms of the offer, I do know that many have enjoyed the options.

M

Right - we're Diamond Plus too. We've never used the offer - in fact, I probably should have on Oasis since we did Izumi hibachi the 2nd night but I had booked it online. oops, my bad. Yes - quite a few cruisers get this offer and no one else here seems overly outraged at how it is supposed to be used only the first 2 nights.

The other day there was a post where someone asked if they could get Diamond Plus benefits as they reached this point in the middle of the cruise. And most of us know this is not policy- but a few chimed in and said yes they were allowed in the Diamond lounge mid cruise. So I took the stand why not ask the LA might have some wiggle room. But to know the policy and then complain that its now enforced and instead of being thankful of all the times they bent the rules you commented that they should have enforced from day one-I do not understand that logic. IMO you should be grateful for times you had and move on. Nothing personal just a observation.

Right - we're Diamond Plus too. We've never used the offer - in fact, I probably should have on Oasis since we did Izumi hibachi the 2nd night but I had booked it online. oops, my bad. Yes - quite a few cruisers get this offer and no one else here seems overly outraged at how it is supposed to be used only the first 2 nights.

We asked onboard and Oasis did not allow the use of the BOGO coupon for Izumi Hibachi. Not sure why as it's a $30 or $35 cover charge per person and not a la carte. We still booked and enjoyed our 1st Hibachi experience. :)

Glad to see some folks who are actually eligible for the BOGO offer are weighing in on the matter. While being able to use the offer may seem inconsequential to some, it truly is meaningful to someone who takes 25 - 30 cruises a year. That's between 600 and 900 dollars a year depending upon the restaurant. Sorry, I'm not wealthy enough or foolish enough to be dismissive about that amount of money.

Duke, no they will not allow you to go to Giovanni's one night and Sabor the next.

I posted originally to inform Diamond Plus and Pinnacle cruisers that they would no longer be able to use the BOGO the way it has been used in the past. The Freedom has allowed it for more than two years and I have also used it that way on the Oasis, Allure and Independence. While the original intent may have been to increase customer count the first evening it evolved into morphing the offer to draw more people in throughout the week. That has changed, so be it. However, I will not be a hypocrite and complain about a change and then continue to do the same behavior. My new ship of choice will be the Oasis and or Allure. Eating in the Coastal Kitchen each evening will suffice, no need for specialty restaurants.

While I first thought you were just calling the snarky folks "bottom dwellers," it became apparent to me with this post that "bottom dwellers" is referencing anyone who has not achieved Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. We, who have not achieved your status, are clearly far too pedestrian for you. You have already made it clear enough that we are illiterate and cannot comprehend things that Pinnacle members can comprehend.

I've got news for you dear one. Anyone with enough money and time can achieve Pinnacle. You don't necessarily have to that bright to know when someone is insulting you. Further, you don't have to be that bright to have money or time. You could be a trust fund baby for all anyone knows. You didn't necessarily "earn" your elite (elitist) status by hard work. You "earned" it by spending time and money.

No name calling here, other than what you have done.

Thank you for coming back to clarify for those of us who didn't comprehend the first time. Bottom dwellers are NOT those who come out with snarky comments, but instead are those who have not become Pinnacle. Truly sad. Most Pinnacles I have met are delightful people. You, not so much.:mad:

You can book online and then apply the coupon onboard. They credit one of the charges. But it still won't work at Izumi

We asked onboard and Oasis did not allow the use of the BOGO coupon for Izumi Hibachi. Not sure why as it's a $30 or $35 cover charge per person and not a la carte. We still booked and enjoyed our 1st Hibachi experience. :)

Having never eaten there I didn't realize it cost that much. One would think it should be added to the eligible restaurants just for the price.

Having never eaten there I didn't realize it cost that much. One would think it should be added to the eligible restaurants just for the price.

Remember, Izumi on Oaiss class is both fixed fee (hibachi) and ala carte (sushi), so the fees could be much higher than $35 depending on what is ordered.

While I first thought you were just calling the snarky folks "bottom dwellers," it became apparent to me with this post that "bottom dwellers" is referencing anyone who has not achieved Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. We, who have not achieved your status, are clearly far too pedestrian for you. You have already made it clear enough that we are illiterate and cannot comprehend things that Pinnacle members can comprehend.

I've got news for you dear one. Anyone with enough money and time can achieve Pinnacle. You don't necessarily have to that bright to know when someone is insulting you. Further, you don't have to be that bright to have money or time. You could be a trust fund baby for all anyone knows. You didn't necessarily "earn" your elite (elitist) status by hard work. You "earned" it by spending time and money.

No name calling here, other than what you have done.

Thank you for coming back to clarify for those of us who didn't comprehend the first time. Bottom dwellers are NOT those who come out with snarky comments, but instead are those who have not become Pinnacle. Truly sad. Most Pinnacles I have met are delightful people. You, not so much.:mad:

Actually you had it right the first time. Bottom dwellers and bottom feeders was primarily addressed to the guy who called me a name I didn't even understand and one other guy. Your interpretation regarding lower tier C&A people never occurred to me. I was after the snarky attack dogs, not my fellow cruisers.

Actually you had it right the first time. Bottom dwellers and bottom feeders was primarily addressed to the guy who called me a name I didn't even understand and one other guy. Your interpretation regarding lower tier C&A people never occurred to me. I was after the snarky attack dogs, not my fellow cruisers.

Typical diamond/+ behavior... You are a prime example why we do not go into the lounge...

Keep on pretending....oh great one.

Sorry, Royal2464, that you're not getting the sympathy you deserve, as a Pinnacle member, because on one of your cruises, they did not bend the rules for you on use of a BOGO dining coupon. Some people just don't understand the tragedy that this represents. :cool: Hope you don't get dumped on during your other 24 - 29 cruises per year.

If you can afford to take 25-30 cruises a year, I can't exactly get behind your worry about affording an extra night in a specialty restaurant.

We've been able to deal with the 1-2 night restriction for some time now- it's not that hard. It is a choice, though.

If you can afford to take 25-30 cruises a year, I can't exactly get behind your worry about affording an extra night in a specialty restaurant.

We've been able to deal with the 1-2 night restriction for some time now- it's not that hard. It is a choice, though.

Your point is well taken and I agree with it. In addition to take 25 to 30 cruises in a year, when a year only have 52 weeks, means they are cruising more than every other week (I realize some are longer cruises or B2B or B2B2B formats). With those nights adding up quickly they will be achieving FREE CRUISES quite a bit.....I just can't share someone's displeasure about how to use the BOGO when they get PLENTY back as it is.

I would love for all rules to be followed to the letter of the 'law'. I am not sure at what level of the top tier you have to be to get a specialty restaurant BOGO offer, although DH and I are Diamonds -- but if the rules change and they can do that at any time, they change.

But who are you hurting when you say "I guess I have eaten my last meal there on the Freedom" referring to the fact previously mentioned by YOU that you are a big, big fan of Giovanni's Table and Sabor? If you dine there, others simply will.

Will use the BOGO how it now stands, no big deal for me, I still get that perk. And to say that's my last meal because of that well your only hurting yourself if you enjoyed those venues.....:eek:

People complain about everything and anything that does not work to their personal advantage, and if it did work to their personal advantage in the past and now doesn't are even worse...because they feel they have been denied something they once had.

I take it all with a large grain of kosher salt.

Working our way to D+ when we get there, I will figure it out.

Great way to think and less stressful!....K.O.....:)

Typical diamond/+ behavior... You are a prime example why we do not go into the lounge...

Keep on pretending....oh great one.

And your a prime example for the title in this post, thank god you don't frequent the CL....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry, Royal2464, that you're not getting the sympathy you deserve, as a Pinnacle member, because on one of your cruises, they did not bend the rules for you on use of a BOGO dining coupon. Some people just don't understand the tragedy that this represents. :cool: Hope you don't get dumped on during your other 24 - 29 cruises per year.

I don't know the OP and don't have a "dog in the fight" but many of you are very hard on the OP. I don't believe he is upset because rules were not bent for him. The ability it use the coupon on other evenings has been standard practice for a while, on many different ships. Just in the past 6 months, we've used the flexibility on the Rhapsody, Freedom and Enchantment. ALL THREE TIMES, the flexibility to use the second coupon on any evening WAS OFFERED TO US. We did not ask.

The OP is simply providing some updated procedure changes, and I consider that helpful.

M

It's usually tipping threads or some other subject that brings out the nastiness in some folks' replies. I don't get it why it's happening on this one. The wording in the title certainly doesn't help. Oh well, first world problems - like so many others on here.:cool:

The OP is simply providing some updated procedure changes, and I consider that helpful.

M

maybe. but it is still hard to sympathize when a company choose to actually enforce their own rules which have been on the books for years and years. case in point: we ALL know that bottle beverages ARE NOT allowed to be brought on board outside of the 2 bottles of wine per cabin. this is clearly stated in multiple spots on the website and the contract. so when Carnival actually began enforcing it, no one really had any leg to stand on other than to go :Oh darn, no more loopholes. Bummer. : and move on.

even our own Royal which is sporadic in their enforcement( typically only College Spring Break cruises) can choose to begin doing so a lot more regularly and we'd have nothing to complain about since we KNOW what the rules are.

by all means, let us know that that they are actually following the fine print on the specialty dining coupon. but no one has a right to trash talk the line for doing so. yes you can grump about it, but to insinuate that they are taking away something that was never really an entitlement in the first place just smacks of sour grapes.

and FTR, I have no horse in this race, being barely Emerald. and to be totally honest, I completely misunderstood the entire coupon rules. I honestly though the BOGO was for ONE reservation.. you pay one fee and get a second fee waived so that 2 people could eat for the price of one that night. for couples that was a no brainer: eat at one restaurant the first night and eat at a different one the second night. I also assumed that solos would get some sort of discount on their fee or have the option to dine in 2 restaurants , one at full fee and the second complimentary. (same or different restaurant I would have assumed was up to each ship's policy)

way back when when we first began cruising EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON on the Carnival board SWORE that we would NEVER be charged the corkage fee if we brought our own bottle in, despite the website clearly stating it in multiple places. guess what. WE WERE CHARGED THE FEE IN EVERY VENUE( including a specialty) did I pitch a fit? no. because I knew what the rules were.

On Royal we were charged in the MDR but not in the Specialty at least until they did away with the corkage fee altogether.

in other words, never treat a bending of the stated policy as a right/entitlement. treat it is a lovely gesture by a member of staff and be grateful. Pixie dust if this was Mouse Town.

Edited by spookwife