good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Correct, the waiver would only apply to these passengers.

It's worthy of note that a waiver can be partial as well. We don't and won't know the exact circumstances but assume something was worked out with ICE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the question of a waiver pertained to those passengers that disembarked in Hawaii and flew straight back to San Francisco.

Correct, the waiver would only apply to these passengers.

It's worthy of note that a waiver can be partial as well. We don't and won't know the exact circumstances but assume something was worked out with ICE.

The CBP is responsible for administering the PVSA, not ICE.

And all of this is done to "protect" the "vibrant" business being done by U.S. flagged carriers providing passenger service between U.S. ports on the Pacific and Atlantic coasts!!! (Total number of such carriers? My guess is ZERO!)

It protects US air carriers as well. You can't fly on Lufthansa from LA to New York, for example. I'm sure the airlines are far more interested in keeping PVSA intact than any cruise line.

There were anywhere from 350 - 400 passengers that disembarked in Honolulu. Princess made arrangement for them to fly out within a day or two. Because they left from Honolulu (did not make the required round trip back to San Pedro on the Grand), Princess would have had to pay the PVSA fine for each passenger.

It would be my guess that is the reason Princess made the additional offer that if you stayed on, you would receive $200 OBC AND 50% credit toward another cruise. This would be sound business practice.

I didn't read that one had to stay onboard to get the 50% off offer.:confused: But it makes sense that you'd have to pick air or the discount (and I'd be the sticky wicket asking for the discount and passing on the air, lol).

You're welcome here's the address:

Lopez Mateos 498, Ensenada 22800, Mexico

Phone Number: 526461788209

The woman who owns it is named Alex.

Hilda has waited on us and is good.

Alex's mother sometimes is in the shop and she's a lovely lady and very proud of her children including Alex and a daughter and son-in-law in LA who are both lawyers.

Added to my port notes.

It protects US air carriers as well. You can't fly on Lufthansa from LA to New York, for example. I'm sure the airlines are far more interested in keeping PVSA intact than any cruise line.

Oh wow. Never dreamed I would see someone espouse that one in the last thirty years plus. Suggestion, you better read up on the "Airline (economic) Deregulation Act of 1978". "Open skies" interstate and intrastate authority every since. Now, don't lash out at me and confuse this all with international air traffic rights into and from another country. Another story another time. How you ever linked maritime into this is a good one.

Suffice to say, if you and I had the financial and operating ability to meet US Federal Aviation Authority "Safety" regulations we could start flying tomorrow, L. A. to New York, scheduled passenger operations. We could even call it "Commie Airlines". If Lufthansa wants to carry passengers from the US west coast to the east coast they can. they don't though.

Ahoy Princess Grand,

We haven't received any recent reports on how the crossing to Ensenada is going with 380 less people on board... How about an update?

Talked to someone this morning who said that the purser's desk told them that 9 people left on our first day in Honolulu (before the announcement) and 402 people left after the options were announced.

So far we keep going at 17 kts and have had 2 sunny, warm, fun sea days. More Christmas decoratios go up each day - so pretty!

Talked to someone this morning who said that the purser's desk told them that 9 people left on our first day in Honolulu (before the announcement) and 402 people left after the options were announced.

So far we keep going at 17 kts and have had 2 sunny, warm, fun sea days. More Christmas decoratios go up each day - so pretty!

Thanks for keeping us updated. CD Dave really needs to dig deep into his magic activities pouch to vary the events for all these extra unplanned days. Anything really out of the ordinary? Hope you had the opportunity to take in his lectures. Only CD that I know of that does the port talks (not where to shop talks) and information regarding the monarchy and annexation. He is truly a Kama'aina (local) at heart.

Oh wow. Never dreamed I would see someone espouse that one in the last thirty years plus. Suggestion, you better read up on the "Airline (economic) Deregulation Act of 1978". "Open skies" interstate and intrastate authority every since. Now, don't lash out at me and confuse this all with international air traffic rights into and from another country. Another story another time. How you ever linked maritime into this is a good one.

Suffice to say, if you and I had the financial and operating ability to meet US Federal Aviation Authority "Safety" regulations we could start flying tomorrow, L. A. to New York, scheduled passenger operations. We could even call it "Commie Airlines". If Lufthansa wants to carry passengers from the US west coast to the east coast they can. they don't though.

No, they can't. You and I could since we are both in the US , but Lufthansa, BA, Iberia, Cathay Pacific, etc. cannot. I wish they could since the US legacy airlines are but shadows of their former selves and the competition might stir them to provide a decent product. Perhaps it's a different law or regulation than PVSA, but the foreign airlines can only codeshare with a US carrier, not provide service themselves. And I would bet that the US airlines wouldn't want PVSA changed because that would be the first step down a slippery slope.

Thanks for keeping us updated. CD Dave really needs to dig deep into his magic activities pouch to vary the events for all these extra unplanned days. Anything really out of the ordinary? Hope you had the opportunity to take in his lectures. Only CD that I know of that does the port talks (not where to shop talks) and information regarding the monarchy and annexation. He is truly a Kama'aina (local) at heart.

John Lawrence (who I believe is now retired) did the port talks for Baltic cruises. I believe I have read that his talks are available on CD.

He was very informative about not only the Princess excursions, but also about how one could do the ports on their own. (We did Oslo, Talinn, Stockholm, and Helsinki on our own.)

For a good "chain" burger, check out Gott's. It's in the ferry building just down the Embarcadero from the cruise ship terminal in San Francisco.

http://gotts.com/

I agree that Gott's has fantastic burgers as well as fish taco's and everything else. However I do not consider them a chain restaurant at all. The ONLY other place they have is in St Helena and Napa. The one in St Helena use to be called Taylor's Refresher. St Helena is where Gott's first started.

Good Morning - Assuming you're reading this on Saturday December 10th,

I was a little concerned with an article I read on o.canada.com... Plus, I've got a LOT of time to kill over the next five days... So, I finally called Princess and talked to a Supervisor... She assured me that our cruise is on schedule for 12/10 departure with no change(s) in itinerary... Still amazed that about 15% of the current passengers opted to fly home early rather than "kick back" for a few extra sea days... Oh well... I'm ready for my annual "Pilgrimage" to Mexico between Thanksgiving and Christmas... I did read a post yesterday from the current cruise that said the ship was fully decorated for the holidays... Wonder if they'll "deck the halls" with Peanut Butter Cookies?

Vaya con Locos

Good Morning - Assuming you're reading this on Saturday December 10th,

I was a little concerned with an article I read on o.canada.com... Plus, I've got a LOT of time to kill over the next five days... So, I finally called Princess and talked to a Supervisor... She assured me that our cruise is on schedule for 12/10 departure with no change(s) in itinerary... Still amazed that about 15% of the current passengers opted to fly home early rather than "kick back" for a few extra sea days... Oh well... I'm ready for my annual "Pilgrimage" to Mexico between Thanksgiving and Christmas... I did read a post yesterday from the current cruise that said the ship was fully decorated for the holidays... Wonder if they'll "deck the halls" with Peanut Butter Cookies?

Vaya con Locos

Yes, they had plenty of peanut butter cookies. My favorite of the batches. Cookies and milk cart appear in the piazza at 3:30.