good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Well.....my husband and I are among those who "jumped ship" in Honolulu, and it was a VERY difficult decision for us. A couple of things factored into our decision - not one of the factors was fear for our safety or comfort. It boiled down to the fact that we have a major commitment on Friday the 11th, and we couldn't risk being late and missing that commitment. We are Santa and Mrs. Claus for a very large corporate Christmas party each year - a highlight for us - and 300 children are counting on us being there.

I cried leaving the ship on Wednesday after bidding Aloha to our dining waitstaff and cabin steward. I've cried at least once each day since. Even flying home last night from Honolulu, I was in tears. :-(

I am so impressed with the way this has been handled by Princess' corporate offices. I am doubly impressed by the way this was handled onboard, by everyone we were in contact with. The Captain and crew of the Grand are to be commended. I wish them well.

As for us, we were able to spend a few days in Honolulu, with Princess giving us $650 pp for airfare. For those who chose to fly home immediately, Princess made the arrangements - for those who wanted to stay in Honolulu, Princess allowed that amount. Good for us, flying only to San Jose, CA. Not so good for someone who needed to fly a longer distance with higher airfare. But now we are home, and we are anxiously looking at updates and praying that the Grand arrives safely and on time in SFO.

And as for burgers, in Northern California, its gotta be "Squeeze Inn" with the cheeseburger skirt :-)

?type=3&theater

Sorry you had to leave the cruise early. :(

Thanks for checking in with your story. :)

TOG has shared with us his penchant for peanut butter cookies... I, to, have a cruise favorite... Each morning I must, stress MUST, have a bagel with DOUBLE lox and cream cheese. This is NOT negotiable! A quick wake up work out in the gym followed by BL&CC, even on port days, is a cruise necessity!

Just checked the web cam. Smooth seas for the lucky ones on board right now.

Quick thought for the newbies... I always take pictures of my suitcase and carry on with my phone cam... If either is misplaced in transit a picture is a big help in finding them.

Vaya con Locos!

THANK YOU! A very simple idea, but 1 which is easy to do, and could save much stress! I've already written it down on my Cruising Notepad #2, nearly ready for #3! I already know to pack swimwear, nightwear, a change of clothes, and prescription meds in my carry on thanks to Cruise Critic members who generously share their experience with the newbies. In 49 weeks, my 1st cruise will be over, and I'll have to come down to earth with a thud! My TA might have an excited client charging in to book her next cruise! LOL :D

Our last two Hawaiian Cruises was with Dave Cole and his enthusiasm created magic with the Aloha Spirit. We loved it. The cruise went so fast, we had to sign up for another cruise, which will be our fourth. THANKS:D:D:D. Stan

Thank you all for the updates, they've been very helpful. Wondering.... Last December I was on the Island and they had a daily happy hour, two drinks for one. Are they still doing that?

Almost all packed and definitely ready to go. Three days left of work and then it's vacation time!!

Lani

When i started this post i never would have imagined it having more than 34000 views. i am really happy that some of you got a laugh or smile about my affection for In N OUT burgers…a sense of humor ,and, not taking yourself to seriously are 2 things i work on each day…

as of now we are told we will be in Ensenada as scheduled and for just a few hours stay. Since my time on the internet is limited since leaving Hawaii, i haven't had the time to check the best taco joints in Ensenada so if someone has a favorite please let me know.

we are really Looking forward to the turnaround day on the 10th.

Some other thoughts on this cruise…all good….Catholic priest on board celebrating Mass every day sure has been nice. The kids on board, from my perspective have been well behaved. Outstanding fresh made waffles every day…German night in horizon court was excellent…

i realize that folks from the west coast are used to it, but watching football at 0900 just doesn't seem right…or healthy…..or natural

Formal nights-some people dressed up some folks didn't…really not something i pay much attention to anymore...

although certainly NOT " IN N OUT " burger quality…the burgers on board are very good.

Although we have all stated how wonderful the crew has been, i feel compelled to repeat it again.

I struggle to find a negative about this cruise… Best i can do is mention the strong perfume some passengers steep themselves in and immediately jump on an elevator…the aroma reminds me of the very natural reaction our overweight english bulldog suffers after he has eaten a chunk of bratwurst.

My favorite fish taco's were next to the parking lot at La Bufadora(the blow hole). They cost like $2 each. So for $10 hubby and I had 2 taco's each and a bottle of water each. Can't beat that. However I am not sure you will have time to go there.

Yes! They're in Sacramento. I went after I saw them on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and it was quite the experience.

I also went there because of DDD. It was an experience for sure. That cheese is like nothing I have ever had. The skirt of cheese hangs over the burger and onto a plate. However nothing beats a in n' out burger except maybe a burger from Gott's also known as Taylor's refresher. They have one along the Embarcardo btw.

Ahoy Grand Princess,

This is a post I just made on the forum for my cruise, the one right after yours, departing 12/10... Thought the information might be of benefit to those of you debarking and the B2B "Lucky Ones" who might plan on sightseeing in the city.

I'm posting this not to be a "gloom and doom"er, but to make sure all are prepared... Weather forecast for San Francisco on Thursday is rain with highs in the upper 50s to low 60s... The cruise ship terminal is very new, but it has one design flaw... Regardless of your loyalty level with Princess you have to stand in a single file line, outside, to clear the first security checkpoint and enter the building.That said, let's end on a bright note... Weather for our first stop, Puerto Vallarta, is cloudy and in the low 80s... Expert prognosticators say the "cerveza", in my case Bohemia, will be very cold!

Vaya con Locos,

Thank you all for the updates, they've been very helpful. Wondering.... Last December I was on the Island and they had a daily happy hour, two drinks for one. Are they still doing that?

Almost all packed and definitely ready to go. Three days left of work and then it's vacation time!!

Lani

We were on the Star Princess a couple of weeks ago and they had the twice daily happy hour - one at 3 PM in the Wheelhouse and one at 11 PM in Skywalkers, although we never made it once to the late one. The special is now 'buy one, get one for $1' of the same drink. I hope they don't end it soon ... we are all set to begin our next adventure this week.

Our last two Hawaiian Cruises was with Dave Cole and his enthusiasm created magic with the Aloha Spirit. We loved it. The cruise went so fast, we had to sign up for another cruise, which will be our fourth. THANKS:D:D:D. Stan

So, it appears that you have officially been bitten by the cruise bug. The only cure for this condition is to have at least 2 future cruises booked at all times, signing up for all special deals and having a suitcase packed for at least one cold weather cruise and one packed for a warm weather cruise -- you know, just in case you find a last minute deal. :D

Hello, Dave Cole here. We get our rotations about a year out but they're always subject to change. Hope that helps!

So nice to see a CD on the boards! We are sailing with you on 12/10. I hope you can make it to one or both of our Meet & Greets. The first is 12/11 and the second is 12/18, both in the One5 at 2PM. We have over 50 people signed up to attend both. The second will include a white elephant gift exchange of tacky Mexican souvenirs. Hope you can join us!

Cruise Raider, YEP! I got the cruise bug and we'll be on Grand for their Dec. 30th Mexican Cruise, which makes it the fifth for this year. Also booked the coming Mar. 4th cruise to Hawaii on Grand.

I've not tried any of all the above mentioned hamburger restaurants, but I get my burger fix up on Deck 14 at the Trident Grill. I order a double cheese burger with grilled onions. But before I order my burger, I get 4 strips of bacon and sometimes guacamole and add it to my burger:D. Also the Trident Grill had fish tacos, BBQ pulled pork sandwich and the best ribs, after 6 pm.

Hello, Dave Cole here. We get our rotations about a year out but they're always subject to change. Hope that helps!

Dave. You, your staff and the entire crew have made this one of our best cruises ever. Thank you very much! Wayne

Edited by mreasier

Cruise Raider, YEP! I got the cruise bug and we'll be on Grand for their Dec. 30th Mexican Cruise, which makes it the fifth for this year. Also booked the coming Mar. 4th cruise to Hawaii on Grand.

I've not tried any of all the above mentioned hamburger restaurants, but I get my burger fix up on Deck 14 at the Trident Grill. I order a double cheese burger with grilled onions. But before I order my burger, I get 4 strips of bacon and sometimes guacamole and add it to my burger:D. Also the Trident Grill had fish tacos, BBQ pulled pork sandwich and the best ribs, after 6 pm.

OMG -- yes...bitten for sure with 5 in a year. It is just the best, isn't it?? We have a Princess cruise booked for this year, a Celebrity, another Princess, a Royal Caribbean booked for 2016 and another Celebrity and another Princess one booked for 2017....with all the Princess ones sailing out of SF so no airfare to add to the costs.

Oh....and I think they even have onion rings at the grill after 6 PM ... and chicken wings ... yum! I am definitely looking forward to finding those fish tacos you mention. I think my DH has tried the ribs ... one of his favorites for sure. Nothing better than grabbing a snack up on the pool deck and eating it while watching a good movie on MUTS! Simple pleasures!!

Great hot dogs at the Trident too.

That's amazing! Has it been 5 days already? Wow. Glad you made it across the Pacific without further incidents. Looks like you had some really smooth days.

Thanks to others that have us d their internet minutes to keep this thread going.