good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

I had a friend that went on the Pride of America (NCL) and did not have good things to say about the ship or crew. Princess or any other cruiseline can do the same by flagging a ship in the USA and complying with USA labor standards meaning they would have to pay more to the crew and abide by the many restrictions to hiring non-USA crew just like on land. The result is higher costs to the pax. Where the ship is actually built in of no consequence just like where your car was built. All ships who call on USA ports must meet USA standards which is why the US Coast Guard inspects them on a regular basis.

In order to be a US flagged ship, the ship must be built in the US.

Forgive my lack of intelligence but doesn't allowing passengers to fly home violate pvsa?

I would think so. However, if the Coast Guard would not allow the ship to leave, then the CBP might waive the fine. I wonder if anyone was allowed to fly home after the Coast Guard allowed the ship to leave.

Victoria is very popular this time of year with people heading to Hawaii to get AWAY from the COLD. I'll bet ice fishing, igloo making and snowball wars would be very popular shore excursions.

Okay people, we are going to Hawaii. Don't forget to pack a parka, thermal underwear and snowshoes.

Hahaha, this is a joke, right? Or just misinformation?

Actually the weather in Victoria currently has daytime temperatures of 10 degrees Celsius. For those who are one of the five countries in the world that do not use Celsius, that translates roughly into 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Not exactly tropical, but hardly winter woollies weather.

To get back to the topic, thanks for the positive attitude and informative updates from those on this cruise. To me, any day on a cruise is great and nice compensation makes it even better.

Edited by bigenna

Hi, I stayed on the Emerald deck in an oceanview room. I am not much of a pillow expert, but I would say the pillows were on the soft side. I had a twin bed configuration so each bed had two pillows. Sometimes I would sleep without the pillows and use them to prop up my knees to ease pressure off my bad back, but I would say the pillows weren't very supportive. As for the bed, I can definitely say it is bit on the soft side or perhaps "moderate to heavily used". Hope that helps. Thanks

That helps a lot! I have everything packed in carry on luggage and normally take a memory foam pillow (travel size) with me just in case I get stuck with really bad pillows onboard. I haven't had to use it for a number of cruises, even though it is usually packed and ready for use. This time, my suitcases are packed to the gills and so long as the have some pillows on the soft side, I am good with that....and now don't have to find a place for my travel pillow....whew!! I've ordered my bed topper, as I also like a bed on the softer side. Sounds like if it is a go, I will be very happy with the bedding situation. Thank you so very much for taking the time out to write back on this. :)

Hahaha, this is a joke, right? Or just misinformation?

Actually the weather in Victoria currently has daytime temperatures of 10 degrees Celsius. For those who are one of the five countries in the world that do not use Celsius, that translates roughly into 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Not exactly tropical, but hardly winter woollies weather.

To get back to the topic, thanks for the positive attitude and informative updates from those on this cruise. To me, any day on a cruise is great and nice compensation makes it even better.

Yes, it is a joke.

This explanation was directly from the Future Cruise Sales gal, but when we went back later to book another cruise she said she had just gotten off the phone with corporate and they corrected her. It is like you explained.

So we got this cruise free (luckily in a suite) and had enough money from the refund and 50% credit to completely pay for a 14 day Med cruise in another suite on the Royal. Including the onboard credit we got, our total value was $11,200!

What a blessing! :)

Major SCORE!!

While I don't eat beef, the best turkey burgers I've had, believe it or not, have been on Celebrity at their mast grill. The ones in the cafeteria where I used to work were also top notch but could never hear the sound of the ship cutting through the water ... so Celebrity's are still #1. And don't even get me started on how delicious their French Fries are ... hands down, the best I have ever had!! I think they are beer battered ... I limit myself to 3 fries per day....otherwise you'd have to roll me off the ship and deliver me directly to the ambulance.

That helps a lot! I have everything packed in carry on luggage and normally take a memory foam pillow (travel size) with me just in case I get stuck with really bad pillows onboard. I haven't had to use it for a number of cruises, even though it is usually packed and ready for use. This time, my suitcases are packed to the gills and so long as the have some pillows on the soft side, I am good with that....and now don't have to find a place for my travel pillow....whew!! I've ordered my bed topper, as I also like a bed on the softer side. Sounds like if it is a go, I will be very happy with the bedding situation. Thank you so very much for taking the time out to write back on this. :)

Where do you order the bed topper? I've looked and looked on Princess site but can't find.

Where do you order the bed topper? I've looked and looked on Princess site but can't find.

My TA always handled that by talking to Princess directly. You'll probably have to email them.

(The last time I did this, my TA was told that Princess is replacing the current mattresses with pilllowtop mattresses, which might change whether they offer the bed toppers -- I can't imagine needing one with a pillowtop mattress.)

What is your source for this?

According to the Marine Traffic online tracker (and the bridge webcam), The Grand Princess is headed for Ensenada.

She may or may not spend the entire day there, but that is her next destination.

She is traveling at about 17 knots. That is an acceptable speed.

I don't know about the distance between Ensenada and Honolulu, but the distances between Ensenada and San Francisco is shorter than the distance between Vancouver and San Francisco.

And as some one else stated, at this time of year the weather warmer in Ensenada than Vancouver. Plus historically Vancouver has had wind/wave issues, thus negating a safe docking

I believe what you posted and the above items, go into their thought processes.

Another reason Ensenada is the port of choice is that it is closer to Honolulu.

From Honolulu to Ensenda and then to San Francisco is 3,220 miles. From Honolulu to Vancouver BC and then to San Francisco is 3,677 miles.

At the rate the cruise ships burn oil, that extra 457 miles is quite a bit of extra cost.

Worked within the industry for a while. From what I have been told its considered a routine request with documentation. Do I know specifically if they got a waiver for this cruise? No. But given they let people off in HI to fly home and there are no reports of immigration or customs issues so far, its a safe assumption.

As noted as example, the Triumph is an example of a pro-forma waiver. Pretty sure the Splendor was too as I don't think they ever made Mexico.

On a side note, I wonder if we will see more ships going to Mexico first to avoid this potential issue.

What is your source for this?

According to the Marine Traffic online tracker (and the bridge webcam), The Grand Princess is headed for Ensenada.

She may or may not spend the entire day there, but that is her next destination.

These HI cruises are only scheduled for 5 hours or so in Ensenada.

I'm not seeing any updates on Marine Tracker since 12:24 on Wednesday 12/3... it says it's out of range. Do you have more recent information?

Yes...it is not on there. Just make a call to your TA or Princess and they will add it to your reservation. If not then, you can always ask your room steward when you first meet him/her. There are a limited supply so I always like to order mine ahead of time.

The carnival triumph got a waiver, after they drifted around

the gulf of mexico for a few days.

Considerable difference in the two cases. One has no engine capability, the other is sound enough that the coast guard will let it sail with passengers.

Which would indicate that the Grand Princess did NOT obtain a waiver.

Which would indicate that the Grand Princess did NOT obtain a waiver.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the question of a waiver pertained to those passengers that disembarked in Hawaii and flew straight back to San Francisco.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the question of a waiver pertained to those passengers that disembarked in Hawaii and flew straight back to San Francisco.

There were anywhere from 350 - 400 passengers that disembarked in Honolulu. Princess made arrangement for them to fly out within a day or two. Because they left from Honolulu (did not make the required round trip back to San Pedro on the Grand), Princess would have had to pay the PVSA fine for each passenger.

It would be my guess that is the reason Princess made the additional offer that if you stayed on, you would receive $200 OBC AND 50% credit toward another cruise. This would be sound business practice.

Regardless of all the financial details....

The Grand is headed for Ensenada, then to San Francisco. She is traveling on her own power. Everyone who stayed on board made their own decision for whatever reasons. There are fewer passengers to use the central elevators...

And there are probably 2000 other reasons that this voyage will be a memorable one. Happy for those that are cruiser her home. I wish you fair weather and calm seas.