All out Brawl in Atrium of the Sky

Unfortunately, situations like this are not ones you can drill for, and drills are the best way to train employees to handle a situation like this. Security has to draw a fine line between maintaining order and risking injury to them and other persons. None of us having been there, we can't evaluate any of those factors and so I can't judge the officers actions (also, I suspect there are more than one level of security officers on board with different skill sets, much like you have regular police and HRTs for example)

The one thing I did note is that there is one thing employees should do in cases like this (and rarely do) which is to isolate the area. Find the nearest block points and get everyone not involved away from the incident. It drives me crazy when that happens regardless of whether a medical, security or mechanical issue. That's part of basic training, but they always seem to lock up. That said, in the event a pax does not want to cooperate with a non-security crewmember, that person should NEVER engage with the passenger, no idea if that happened.

Do you know the passenger had been drinking or purchased the UDP or is this speculation?

You're correct. I never noticed the passenger prior to the scuffle near the elevator and crashing into the table. No idea if he was drinking or was on the package. I was merely saying that because of the package that I was surprised that security didn't seem better prepared to deal with unruly passengers alcohol fueled or not.

:DTakes me back to my early days of cruising on the Norway, we were introduced to the ship security officer by the captain and he was the splitting image of your worst German SS movie character minus the uniform of course.

No one ever thought of getting out of line while he was on board...

There would be no disruption tolerated on his watch, and as the captain noted he knew all the deepest spots in the ocean along our route if you get my meaning..

Ah the good old days of cruising....

Edited by warriorking

I have confidence in the cruise ship security. A lot of the security are former members of the Gurkha Regiment who served our country. They should be given the respect they deserve.

Hmmm. I feel compelled to point out that maybe only people from your country have any idea who the "Gurkha Regiment" is, and would therefore be the only ones giving respect for them serving "our country" -- as in your country, not mine. If NCL does employ a security team predominantly made up of ex-Gurkha forces, I'm sure no one here means them any particular disrespect as a unit. However, we are all entitled to feel we did or did not like how something was handled. In this case, I have no opinion on how it was handled, because I didn't see it. I will take OP's word that there was room for improvement.

Hmmm. I feel compelled to point out that maybe only people from your country have any idea who the "Gurkha Regiment" is, and would therefore be the only ones giving respect for them serving "our country" -- as in your country, not mine. If NCL does employ a security team predominantly made up of ex-Gurkha forces, I'm sure no one here means them any particular disrespect as a unit. However, we are all entitled to feel we did or did not like how something was handled. In this case, I have no opinion on how it was handled, because I didn't see it. I will take OP's word that there was room for improvement.

I am from the US and know they are an elite unit and also knew they were the security on NCL ships and most other ships

Just back from a quick getaway on the Sky. I've cruised NCL before but have done most of my cruises on Carnival and RCL. A group of 11 decided to do a last minute family break on the Sky.

Our welcome aboard was that on Friday night after dinner, we set up shop at the Atrium Bar to enjoy some of the live music. At about 10 PM things got interesting when a fist fight broke out near the elevators. A security guard was pushed into a table set up with jewelry and a huge spotlight came crashing to the ground. It was complete chaos. The passenger was handcuffed to the railing but another man was trying to pull him away from ship security and a woman was yelling loudly for them to get off of the man. Other passengers quickly gathered and were adding their two cents in. One man was taping the incident and then ship's security was more concerned about getting him to delete the video/photos than containing the incident. When security tried to move the man from the banister, he started fighting them again and ripped a security guard's shirt. It definitely showed the NCL's security is ill prepared if a real incident takes place on board because the unruly passenger wasn't particularly tall or large and he kept the whole thing going for quite a while. Other ship employees were just standing there doing nothing. Seemed like in a crisis situation they should have been trying to clear the area, calling for someone, or doing something more than just standing around in shock. They finally handcuffed the man and lead him right past where our group was huddled against the window trying to stay away from the fight. A large group followed along after the man. I have cruised over a dozen times, including cruises during Spring Break and I have NEVER seen an episode like this on a cruise. NCL's security has a big problem and I certainly didn't feel particularly safe in the situation and the unlimted booze flowing around thanks to the comped UBP certainly didn't help matters as other men tried to get involved in the mix with the help of some liquid courage.

NCL needs to have security on board who can handle an emergency situation even if it only happens once in a while. With drinks flowing and the UBP being a comp for many cruisers they should be better prepared to handle unruly passengers especially when things break out in a highly traveled common area filled with families and guests of all ages. We had two very frightened children that we had to keep swearing to them that we'd never seen behavior like this on a cruise and we're veteran cruisers.

I'm not sure what started the event but it certainly did draw a crowd since it was in the atrium. The crew members were saying he was likely going to be put off the ship in Nassau the next morning. Not sure what happened to the one or two men who tried to insert themselves into the mix and to the guy who was video taping/taking pictures that security became more concerned with. Needless to say it was a rocky way to start a cruise!

I'm sorry your children had to witness this incident. I was on the Sky in February for a weekend cruise and it's a party boat. One of the 'games' as part of a comedy act involved 5 people chugging down as much beer as possible in a short period of time. I had a nice time on the cruise as I came to relax and sun, but I didn't feel the cruise was geared to families (or even middle-aged me) and I think there are better weekend cruise choices for families than the Sky. I hope the rest of your cruise was enjoyable.

Put lots of people together, give them booze and things are likely to happen.

Maybe there was/is room for security improvement.

As for the comment of our country v your country and the security forces. People other than Americans do travel on your ships even out of the US!

Put lots of people together, give them booze and things are likely to happen.

Maybe there was/is room for security improvement.

As for the comment of our country v your country and the security forces. People other than Americans do travel on your ships even out of the US!

On our Alaska cruise there were more Canadians than USA folks, friendliest cruise we ever took.

Something tells me that the group associated with the incident was not their first rodeo...prob just Tommy being Tommy...we know he has a bit of a temper but thought lets bring him on a 4000 PAX crowded ship and see what happens..was alcohol involved...it was 10pm at night...I hope if Tommy was drunk that he went out to the hottub and took a long soak...

Our sail this March should be interesting...

I have confidence in the cruise ship security. A lot of the security are former members of the Gurkha Regiment who served our country. They should be given the respect they deserve.

Yep, I'm a bit surprised at the OP's post. When I was with NCL, they were mostly Gurkha's, and I can remember when we were in San Francisco to go into drydock, and a bunch of drunk contractors came back one night. A 5'2", 110 lb female former Nepalese soldier dropped a 6'4" 240 lb man to his knees with a single pressure point hold.

Speaking as an ex-British soldier, the Gurkhas are the soldiers I would choose to have guarding my flanks above all others - man for man they are probably the finest infantry soldiers in the world.

Many Argentinian soldiers on the Falklands surrendered when they heard that the Gurkhas were due to attack them - the Gurkhas never actually needed to attack.

BTW - Gurkhas make the most awesome curries!

Speaking as an ex-British soldier, the Gurkhas are the soldiers I would choose to have guarding my flanks above all others - man for man they are probably the finest infantry soldiers in the world.

Many Argentinian soldiers on the Falklands surrendered when they heard that the Gurkhas were due to attack them - the Gurkhas never actually needed to attack.

BTW - Gurkhas make the most awesome curries!

I too know the Gurkhas and would want them backing me up anytime!! I've read and reread the OP's post and I'm not sure what the OP thought would be more appropriate? Should they have used pepper spray and sprayed most of the atrium, or perhaps billy clubs and busted a few heads or how about guns? Physical force is a delicate thing, how much is too much? OP appears to think too little force was used, how much and what should have been done? Handcuffing the miscreant to a rail while quelling the remaining issues seems to be a good idea. I vote we recommend maximum violence next time, shoot the buggers!!!;)

I too know the Gurkhas and would want them backing me up anytime!! I've read and reread the OP's post and I'm not sure what the OP thought would be more appropriate? Should they have used pepper spray and sprayed most of the atrium, or perhaps billy clubs and busted a few heads or how about guns? Physical force is a delicate thing, how much is too much? OP appears to think too little force was used, how much and what should have been done? Handcuffing the miscreant to a rail while quelling the remaining issues seems to be a good idea. I vote we recommend maximum violence next time, shoot the buggers!!!;)

Probably just as well that they do not carry their kukris on board ship...;)

Probably just as well that they do not carry their kukris on board ship...;)

I've seen what they have no compunction about doing to crew, when they think its necessary. We had one of our typically well mannered US crew (when we were training US crew on the Sky prior to reflagging) who got completely blotto and bad mouthed the Captain for firing him. The two Gurkha's that responded beat the ever-loving heck out of him before dropping him down the gangway.

First of all,.....If the OP didn't think this was appropriate for a 5 y/o to see and hear the language used, then leave the scene, it has nothing to do with you.....2nd, I have all my trust in the security on the ship. They are well trained and use as much force as neccessary. In this day and age of lawsuits, you have to be careful in how you handle a scene like that....I work in an emergency room and sometimes it will take 5-6 of us, both hospital security and trained EMT's, to subdue just one patient and put them in restraints.......Just remember, cause a problem on the ship and you will get kicked off at the next port and you will have to find your own way home.....

It took NCL Security two days just to fix our cabin safe (needed a battery).

I'm just happy most pax are "normal".:)

Hilarious :) Ty for the giggle.

I am jealous of those of you who have such blind fAith in NCL security (or any security for that matter). You must sleep soundly.

I'm from Detroit where the weak Are killed and eaten. One eye open.

I just booked a 9 night cruise out of NY on RCI. While the free specialty dining and booze on NCL was a more expensive perk than I got, I decided that the risk booze fueled misbehaving was way to great for me. Not just fights, but rude behavior in general that seems to accompany drunks.

I just booked a 9 night cruise out of NY on RCI. While the free specialty dining and booze on NCL was a more expensive perk than I got, I decided that the risk booze fueled misbehaving was way to great for me. Not just fights, but rude behavior in general that seems to accompany drunks.

Are you going to be doing one of your famous sdmike reviews? If so, which ship will you be sailing?

There was one here last week about thr Sky ..where ladies of the evening were looking for dates with their ummm boss. It was the Sky.

Of course, this is nothing new at sea.

"Ladies of the Evening" travelled regularly on board the transatlantic crossings of S.S. France, of the French Line, latterly S.S. Norway of N.C.L. !