1. 1. Which ship?

• Freedom to Coz, GC, Jamaica
    • Magic to Belize, Coz, Roatan
    • Conquest to GT, DM, HMC
    • Glory to Coz, Roatan, GC, Belize
    • Splendor to DR, St Thomas, SJ, GT
    • Breeze to GT, SJ, St Kitts, St Maarten
    • Sunshine to Aruba, Curacao, GT

Have you thought about renting a car to get between Florida airports?

It's about four hours between Tampa and Miami/Fort Lauderdale and about three hours between Orlando and Miami/Fort Lauderdale. You should be able to work out some combination of flights that work if you consider driving.

Take a look at the Breeze sailing on April 9 - still an 8 day, but a different itinerary than you posted. We cruised this itinerary in September, and loved it. LaRomana, Grand Turk, Curaçao, and Aruba, and a great price. Airfare on SWA isn't bad either, if you leave CMH on Friday, and fly home Monday. Check it out!

That's not an option for us. We have to go when our daughter is out of school for Spring Break. :(

Breeze hands down! She is a beautiful ship, with a great crew.

We are on the same itinerary next weekend on the Conquest. Looking so forward to it! Had the Breeze offered this itinerary for the same dates, I would have picked it in a heartbeat :)

Edited by soccersharon

Have you thought about renting a car to get between Florida airports?

It's about four hours between Tampa and Miami/Fort Lauderdale and about three hours between Orlando and Miami/Fort Lauderdale. You should be able to work out some combination of flights that work if you consider driving.

The problem is not getting between the airports. There's transportation services for that we have always used, for instance, if we fly into FLL and then cruise out of Miami, we always use places like SAS transportation.

The issue is getting a flight to/from any of the airports at all. They are booked up (well unless you want to pay for business select, which is going to run close to $500 pp 1 way or $3000 just in airflights and I'm not about to pay that). :)

I find it interesting that there haven't been more people pick this cruise though. I know it was highly rated on the last poll I did when I ended up picking the Pride. :confused:

We are snorkelers too. I love Aruba - but not for snorkeling. We also hit Bonaire on that cruise which I had been super stoked for the drift snorkel off of Klein Bonaire. Although that was a good one, it wasn't as good as it is hyped up as. DH even said he would take Roatan and even St. Thomas any day over it. Haven't been to Curacao yet, but I have gathered it is not too easy to roll your own snorkel trips there.

(Not trying to sway you or anything, but Grand Turk is on the Breeze itinerary already ;)).

Edited by ferfoodle

I'd pick the Breeze. If you're into zip lining, look up Toro Verde On YouTube. One of the most breathtaking zip lines you'll ever do in your life (it's in Puerto Rico).

About flights, with all due respect, have you conducted searches on other airlines as well? It wouldn't be the first time that someone is so focused on Southwest and their "free bags" that they let a better deal or a better schedule go by on another airline. Don't let blind loyalty to one airline stop you from sailing on the cruise that you really want.

Finally, about the Tri-Rail: I lived in South Florida for many years. Yes, the Tri Rail will get you from PBI down to Miami, but it will be time consuming. Give yourself a few hours, 4 at least. The actual train ride takes maybe 1:45, but you have to take bus transfers from the airport to the Tri Rail Station, and then once in Miami, you have to do a few more transfers to get to the port of Miami unless you take a cab from the Tri Rail station straight to the port which may defeat any savings that you may have. Personally, Tri-Rail would be my last choice to get to Miami.

Edited by Tapi

I voted for the Breeze. We are doing that same itinerary in January. They are all new ports for us except St. Maarten.

I liked that its 8 days. You get three good beach days. In Puerto Rico we are going to see the forts. So I feel like its a good mix.

And the breeze had all of the features we wanted on a ship: water park, guys burgers, burrito bar, and ropes course.

Edited by brookeq

We live basically in Columbus (outlining town, but still considered Columbus). There's a lot of options with airlines, but they are all so much more expensive than SW and they all charge that extra baggage fee too. Yucky. :(

Have you looked at Allegiant Air? I'm not a big fan of suggesting this airline because of their limited flight schedules, but if you're price conscious, they may be worth looking into. You may have to fly in/out a day or two earlier or later to make it work. The do fly into Columbus (not CMH, but LCK).

Edited by Tapi

"My daughter will be 7 on this cruise and it has to be some time after March 25-April 3rd."

Sorry - I misinterpreted your window of opportunity - I thought the cruise needed to be after April 3.

I'm not sure if you've checked, but Frontier Airlines has been running some crazy fares to MCO from Cincinnati, if you can make them work.

HI all!

mitsugirly ~ you know you want to do Breeze & that's what I voted for.;) We seem to like the same ships (Epic, aways) & I've done Breeze twice & would do it again, especially in a cove balcony. The thrill theatre was fun, the Italian restaurant yummy & free for lunch, Taste bar nice, Guy's etc etc.

My 2nd choice would be Sunshine just because I haven't done it but it sounds good & has most 2.0 updates.

Look forward to reading your review whatever the ship! Good luck with the flights.

~ Jo ~ :)

Honestly, I like when the 7 day cruises have 3 ports instead of 4 because it just seems like you are running non-stop and I'm not a morning person. Pulling into port requires me to get up extra early 4 days in a row. :p But, if it has 4 port days, it's not a breaking factor for us because we do a lot of 4 day itineraries.

I did not realize Dominica is not the D.R. Oops. :o It looks like I need to break out google earth and check it out. LOL

Tell me why you like San Juan? When I thought about it before, it seemed like it was just one of those towns you just walk looking at the buildings (and usually that's not something we like to spend time on doing and prefer the beaches). So I'm wondering why you like it. I have a patient that's from San Juan and I can say that it would be neat to see the place and bring her something back. (She's about to turn 96 and hasn't been there in years, bless her heart!).

Black sand beaches?? :eek: That would be so cool. I thought that Hawaii was were you would see that at due to the volcanos. I'm going to have to do some research now.

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to take a look at your reviews on some of these ships/places. I do remember your name as being one of those that people on the Carnival boards like to read their reviews. So maybe that will help. Thanks for posting.

Yeah I guess you can say people know me around here. lol ;) Since you're traveling with kids, I can understand how having fewer ports and more sea days will be more relaxing so you can have some down time and not be constantly on the go. I still vote for the Breeze. 4 ports plus 3 sea days. :)

Dominica is way down in the southern Caribbean. It used to be a regular stop on the cruises from San Juan years ago, but now it's a special stop on select itineraries. I had the chance to visit last year on the Splendor and went rapelling down waterfalls. It's not super commercial like Cozumel or St. Thomas and you'll be able to do something fun and adventerous. I've been to San Juan many, MANY times (both by cruise but mostly by land) and I love the overall vibe and culture of the island. The ship docks in Old San Juan, and yes it's a nice place to walk around. You'll find yourself wanting to walk around and explore just a little bit, even if that's not your thing. They do have nice beaches (Condado and Isla Verde) though they're better for laying out and splashing around and not snorkeling. El Escambron Beach has great reviews on Trip Advisor for the snorkeling there, but it's more of a locals beach and not really a tourist beach (exactly why it's one of my faves though). Shipwreck Beach was the black sand beach I visited in St. Kitts 2 years ago (in my second Valor review). I read a review yesterday from someone that was there about a month ago said and a lot of the beach has been wiped out. I do believe there are other black sand beaches around St. Kitts though.

Also I'd skip the tri-rail. Coming with kids and a lot of luggage, I could see it as being a big inconvenience. If flying into PBI happens to be cheaper than FLL, look at renting a car. I did that a few years ago, and no joke a one way rental car to MIA was only $40. Would it be possible to fly out of a different airport in Ohio, like Dayton or Cincinatti? I'm not sure how far of a drive those are but it might be worth it if you'll save a lot of money.

We like Southwest too, but also fly Jet Blue.

Have you thought about Jet Blue out of CLE. I know they don't fly out of CMH or CVG, but flights are available, reasonably priced (approx. $1550 return for 3 to FLL) and the drive is just over 2 hours ... just a thought. We fly out of BUF to save and drive just over an hour, but know that's not for everyone!

We're going to be on the spring break cruise on the Sunshine. I LOVE this itinerary, with Grand Turk, Aruba, and Curacao. Lots of beaches and snorkeling opportunities. It's also a great ship IMO, with the best Serenity deck at sea. Can't wait!!

I have been watching the same Glory and Conquest sailings. Last 2 years we have cruised with 3 other families over spring break. Our kids are all middle & high school age. Last year we were on the Sunshine and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US voted never again! Beautiful ship with great food and good shows but absolutely no deck space.

I added my vote for the Breeze, both for itinerary, and ship, as well as 8 days is always better:D IMO. The others sound good too, I am sure you will pick what works best for you and family, but that one sounds wonderful to me.

I vote for the Breeze.

How do you have the time for all this cruising? LOL. I thought that you recently started a nursing job. Our son-in-law is a CNRA and he could never cruise as often as you. LUCKY YOU!!!!

The problem is not getting between the airports. There's transportation services for that we have always used, for instance, if we fly into FLL and then cruise out of Miami, we always use places like SAS transportation.

The issue is getting a flight to/from any of the airports at all. They are booked up (well unless you want to pay for business select, which is going to run close to $500 pp 1 way or $3000 just in airflights and I'm not about to pay that). :)

I meant this as a way of opening up your options of what would be cheapest and available. Rather than limiting yourself to flying into one specific airport to get a cruise. So you could look at flying into Tampa and then renting a car to drive to Miami. Creative air ticketing :)

Edited by mainepaddler

Hello fellow Carnival Cruisers! I'm trying to find a cruise for our family for my young daughters Spring Break. :eek: A lot of you know me around here (mainly for my reviews and the ports section) and you all have been so wonderful in helping me with my planning and cruises. Last April I conducted a survery of several different Carnival ships and did a poll. Everyone talked me into going on the Pride (which wasn't even on the poll :D) and we LOVED it. So...I'm counting on you to help me pick again. :p

My daughter will be 7 on this cruise and it has to be some time after March 25-April 3rd.

I have quite the list going of options so far and my head is spinning.

A little about us, for those of you that don't know me. We LOVE the beach and hanging out. I really love snorkeling, so that's a plus. We are not big drinkers, but will have a drink or two here and there, so hanging out at a bar is not our thing. We also love places that involves active things (zip lining, jet skis, cave tubing, and so on). So, we can take either a lazy day on the beach or to the other extreme of doing crazy stuff. We are NOT the type of people to do "tours" or sightseeing historical places or ruins.

We have been to the western caribbean A LOT (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya). We have done the eastern side twice now (St Thomas/St Maarten).

This year, we managed to hit new ports only (Grand Turk, Freeport, HMC and Bermuda). I have to admit, I did find myself missing the "normal" ports like Cozumel and Roatan. So...that's not out of the question this time around. But I'm also open to new ports as well.

As far as the ships, we can do big or small, new or old. We are pretty happy with either. We do love the waterparks on the ships, but if they don't have them, that won't be a reason to pass it by. We also LOVED Guys Burgers and the Iguana Cantina was great for breakfast burritos. So I have made note of which ships have them and which don't. Again, not a deal breaker. I can always find something to eat. :D It's just an added amenity for us.

Above I have listed the ships I have been eyeballing. Please vote and tell me why you picked it, any experiences, or other suggestions.

Below is the information I have gathered on them from the cheapest to the most expensive (which isn't always a factor, but it sure makes it easier on the budget and what we do while in port).

1) Freedom- 7 days out of Texas to Cozumel (7-3pm) Grand Cayman (9-5pm) & Jamaica (8-4pm) (We love Cozumel and GC. Not so much Jamaica although we always find something to do there. I'm not too excited about leaving Cozumel by 3pm. It has a Guys/Iguana)

2) Magic - 7 days out of Texas to Belize (8-5pm) Cozumel (9-5pm) and Roatan (6:30-5pm) (We have been wanting to go on the Magic for awhile now and of course love Cozumel & Roatan. Longer hours is a plus in Cozumel. The only negative is no Guys/Iguana Cantina but the waterpark would be awesome!)

3) Conquest - 6 days from FLL to Grand Turk (9-5) Dom Rep (8-4) HMC (8-4) (We LOVE GT & HMC and have never been to Amber Cove yet and it looks awesome, although I'm not sure we would adventure out of the cruise port there on the first time. The negative is it's only 6 days and cost more than the other two 7 day cruises. It has Guys/Iguana/Fish place)

4) Glory - 7 days from Miami to Cozumel (8-5) Roatan (7-3) Grand Cayman (10-6) Belize (8-5) (Love all the ports and wouldn't mind visiting again. Not liking the short stay in Roatan, leaving at 3pm. Has Guys/Iguana/Fish place).

5) Splendor - 7 days from Miami to Dominica (8-4) St Thomas (11-7) San Juan (7:30-3:30) Grand Turk (11-5:30) (Love St Thomas and GT of course. We have never been to DR or SJ. Ship doesn't have the extras like Guys/Iguana but does have a kids water park that I know the munchkin would love)

6) Breeze - 8 day from Miami to Grand Turk (8-4) San Juan (1-8) St Kitts (10-8) St Maarten (8-5) (Love GT and St Maarten. Two new ports we have never been to. The hours in port seem pretty good and this is the ship of all ships that I have been wanting to go on. It's also an 8 day cruise)

7) Sunshine - 8 day from Port Canaveral to Aruba (1-10) Curacao (8-4) Grand Turk (8-4) (Love GT and have never been to Aruba or Curacao and from the comments on the last time I ask for help, it seemed as the ABC islands are THE thing to do...it's just missing Bonnaire. It's also 8 days. However, this is the most expensive ship but does have all the bells and whistles)

So there you have it. My breakdown with my thoughts. Now tell me yours and why you would pick it.

The OTHER problem I'm having is after looking up air flight, since this is obviously spring break, a lot of the flights are already sold out and I might have to get creative.

We normally fly using Southwest. It has ALWAYS been the cheapest for us when checking rates. We also have a cc with them and have over 60,000 points to spend on free flights...IF we can find a flight. :cool:

Texas-probably isn't going to be an issue since you don't fly straight into Galveston. Where do you fly to anyhow? Houston?

Ft Lauderdale-Flights sold out both going there and back on the days we need, so would have to get creative as to when we come and go (as in another day earlier or later).

Miami-as above to FLL bc SW flies to FLL and we have to transport to Miami.

Port Canv- Flights in available, coming home sold out.

So take this all into consideration too and let me know of any thoughts you can come up with on this.

I was just on the freedom in October and I won't sail on her again because it was too smoky throughout the ship! The glory, conquest and splendor are nice but not as nice as the magic. I haven't been on the breeze. Sunshine is OK and it looks like it has the most interesting ports of the choices you've given. The only thing I don't like about sunshine is when they renovated her they decreased the size of the public areas and increased the number of cabins which made it seem very crowded in all of the public areas. So if I was choosing among the ships that you have listed I would be torn between the magic because it's the best ship experience or the sunshine because of the ports of call.

If your not too far from Dayton, it looks like there are some flight options there. Again, you will have to play around with dates and one-way options.

I guess I could consider this. It's not too far, maybe about 1-1 1/2 hours. My oldest daughter did this on one of our cruises (I think from Baltimore). We flew to Columbus because we booked a lot earlier than she did. By the time she booked, the flights were too much and she just went to Dayton instead and had someone pick her up from there. Thanks for reminding me. :)

We are snorkelers too. I love Aruba - but not for snorkeling. We also hit Bonaire on that cruise which I had been super stoked for the drift snorkel off of Klein Bonaire. Although that was a good one, it wasn't as good as it is hyped up as. DH even said he would take Roatan and even St. Thomas any day over it. Haven't been to Curacao yet, but I have gathered it is not too easy to roll your own snorkel trips there.

(Not trying to sway you or anything, but Grand Turk is on the Breeze itinerary already ;)).

Thanks for the info. I'll take this into consideration. I did have a good time in Grand Turk. :D

We are going on this breeze itinerary in a month! Wish I could tell you about it now! Last year we went on the valor out of San Juan (which has now been replaced by one of the newer ships with the 2.0 upgrades.) I know southwest flies there now! It went to st Thomas, Barbados, st Lucia, st Kitts and st marten. Snorkeled every port and it was amazing!

I'd pick the Breeze. If you're into zip lining, look up Toro Verde On YouTube. One of the most breathtaking zip lines you'll ever do in your life (it's in Puerto Rico).

About flights, with all due respect, have you conducted searches on other airlines as well? It wouldn't be the first time that someone is so focused on Southwest and their "free bags" that they let a better deal or a better schedule go by on another airline. Don't let blind loyalty to one airline stop you from sailing on the cruise that you really want.

Finally, about the Tri-Rail: I lived in South Florida for many years. Yes, the Tri Rail will get you from PBI down to Miami, but it will be time consuming. Give yourself a few hours, 4 at least. The actual train ride takes maybe 1:45, but you have to take bus transfers from the airport to the Tri Rail Station, and then once in Miami, you have to do a few more transfers to get to the port of Miami unless you take a cab from the Tri Rail station straight to the port which may defeat any savings that you may have. Personally, Tri-Rail would be my last choice to get to Miami.

I will check out the zip line you mentioned. Thanks for the info.

I did a search on some of the "cheap flights" that conduct the search to find the cheapest for you and was running into majorly high prices. I'm very thorough with my research every time I cruise and always check other airline prices (always looking for a great deal), which I why I stated that SW always ends up being cheaper. We aren't really "loyal" to any airline, it just works out that way that SW has always been cheaper for us. Now that we have a SW cc with tons of points on it, we were hoping to use some of them for some free air flights. But still, not at the expense of spending them all just trying to get there. LOL :D

As for the Tri-rail. We always fly in the day before. So, we were interested in taking it to where ever our destination would be (whether we stay in FLL or Miami). We wouldn't be using it to actually get to the port. We will use a transportation service like SAS or MJS.

Thanks so much for your info. I appreciate it.

I voted for the Breeze. We are doing that same itinerary in January. They are all new ports for us except St. Maarten.

I liked that its 8 days. You get three good beach days. In Puerto Rico we are going to see the forts. So I feel like its a good mix.

And the breeze had all of the features we wanted on a ship: water park, guys burgers, burrito bar, and ropes course.

Yea, it pretty much has everything we want too on the Breeze. Well EXCEPT for Matt now. :(