Midway between Anchorage and Homer

ragincajun76

We did not want to drive all the way from Anchorage to Homer after driving back from Denali the day before. What would be a good midpoint to stop for the night before heading to Homer. I thought the Princess lodge at Copper Landing might be a good midpoint. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kenai Princess is great, but check their availability on line. Every time we stayed there, we could only stay on certain days, as they keep availability for cruise tour reservations.

Mt Alyeska in Girdwood might be a little out of the way, but it is really nice.

Summit Lake and Kenai Princess have a bar and rest. on premise and both are more secluded with great views. Alyeska in Girdwood has rest. at top of mountain and is top rated and a little pricey. But there is the Double Muskie nearby for dinner and The Bake shop for brkfst. and lunch. If your looking for more fast food rest. then Soldotna would be the place to stay and there are more rooms avail there. Good luck and enjoy. Book early!

If the only criteria is a half way point, Cooper Landing where the Kenai Princess Lodge is located would fit. It’s fairly rural and having a car in that area is nice. If you want a variety of services, groceries/restaurants, the town of Soldotna is good.

Homer is a nice place but it’s a bit off the path. As mentioned in another thread where you posted your itinerary, I’d skip Homer as well. Looks as though you’ll be driving over 1,000 miles on your visit. There’s just too much to do rather than spending all that time driving.

Homer is only 4 hours from Anchorage. So even though Girdwood may be "close"- there may be some interest in what the area has to offer, with WAY more Cooper Landing has.

It's only 4 hours, does it have to be split into 2? What else were you planning to do? No plans? Nothing?

Would make a difference in what is recommended, but, it seems you can determine this yourself, what would work out best for your ideas?

Do you have THE MILEPOST?

Cooper Landing MIGHT be a good stopping point for you; depends on how it fits in with the itinerary.

Is your plan to do the 10am sled dog demo at Denali or some other morning activity then head towards Anchorage? If so, I'd suggest driving beyond Anchorage to overnight in Girdwood instead;it's only 45 minutes further. There's a lot to see and do in the Girdwood area .... pan for gold, Wildlife Conservation Center, Potters Marsh boardwalk, Byron Glacier hike or a smaller hike, Portage lake/visitor center.

So you could spend the better part of the next day with any of those activities then drive 2 1/2hrs to overnight at Cooper Landing. The Kenai Princess is a lovely property and a lovely location (with a car). I've only camped at their RV park but we've made a point to stop in for lunch .... the lounge has a great view of the river so it's good spot to relax and watch the boats/rafts float by. Lots of bear activity, so be very aware if you walk around or follow the trail to the river.

Then the following day you would have your leisurely drive to Homer. The first half of the drive from Cooper Landing isn't too interesting but once you get to the coast, there are beach views and access, plus the church at Ninilchik is a nice stop.

( Depending on your needs, family size, and budget, Girdwood lodging options vary between the Alyeska Resort, Girdwood Guesthouse, Glacier View B&B. Look at the Chamber web site for other choices.)

If so, I'd suggest driving beyond Anchorage to overnight in Girdwood instead;it's only 45 minutes further. There's a lot to see and do in the Girdwood area ....

So you could spend the better part of the next day with any of those activities then drive 2 1/2hrs to overnight at Cooper Landing. )

It isn't 2 1/2 hours Girdwood/Cooper River, it's 1 1/2 hours- about 70 miles.

We wanted to break up a similar leg (from Palmer/Matanuska Glacier area to Homer) and are staying at the Kenai Princess Wilderness Lodge. We plan to stop at the sights along the Seward highway as well as potentially stop in Girdwood for dinner first, but thought it would be a good way to break up the drive since we have a tour in Palmer that lasts until 1pm. I believe the room was around $230 for the night, so definitely not budget lodging but as others said does look like a nice relaxing place to stay. We plan to get up and leave right after breakfast so are not too concerned that it is a bit isolated from other things to do.

The community of Soldotna isn't really midway between Homer and Anchorage, but there are several hotels, motels and B & Bs there. While we have never stayed there I've heard nice things about the Kenai Riverbend Resort.

First off, hearing Soldotna mentioned in post is awesome[emoji5]️ (that's where I'm from). As for hotels, hooligans in Soldotna is awesome!! Enjoy Alaska! Anywhere you stay, you will love it!!

I believe the room was around $230 for the night, so definitely not budget lodging but as others said does look like a nice relaxing place to stay. We plan to get up and leave right after breakfast so are not too concerned that it is a bit isolated from other things to do.

You might want to give some thought to Summit Lake Lodge, posted above. It's about 30 miles before Cooper Landing so it wouldn't impact your routing or itinerary. It too is a lovely location and they have rooms/cabins varying from $150 - $250 (incl b'fast).