Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam after 3 years away from HAL. How bad has it gotten?

dakrewser

There were some bad moments which I can attribute, at least in part, to actions of the staff and crew.

On Saturday, last full day, we docked in Key West. As it was our first US port everyone was required to report to immigration. For US citizens this was in the Northern Lights (in one door and out the other). As we entered, our key card was scanned. We then went to the INS agent who viewed our passports. On leaving, our key card was punched to identify us as having cleared customs. On leaving the room we were told that we would only need our key card to get off or on the ship.

We all went ashore, using our key card (security looked for the pinched hole) to exit, then boarded the trolley shuttle into town (because we were docked at the Naval Air Station pier) to the square in front of the Aquarium.

As we were leaving the shuttle, the driver noted that we would need key card and photo ID to return to the ship. Could be a problem, as DW didn't have photo ID with her.

I decided to go back early, so caught the shuttle at the aquarium. Sure enough, as we entered the NAS navy security entered the bus to check ID.

I boarded the ship and went to our cabin to get DW's ID. On opening the door I found that the old credit card I use in the electric switch was missing. So I put my room key in. Got DW's ID and texted her to let her know she would need ID, to see if there was anything else I should bring, and to see how soon she wanted to return.

While waiting, I decided to get lunch so went up to Dive-in, painstakingly order my burger, then went inside the Lido to wait. After about 20 minutes with no signal on my buzzer went back to find my meal had been ready and was just waiting for me. No idea if they tried to buzz me or if the device was working.

Then I realized I'd locked the key card in my cabin.

Down to the desk to get a new one, fairly easy since I did have photo ID with me.

Back to cabin and notice new card is not punched. So swap it with old card and go down to the gangway. Card won't scan as it was deactivated when new one issued (no one mentioned that!). Giving security my cabin # did bring up my picture, though (a tip to remember) and I get on the Conch train shuttle. Which didn't go to the aquarium (where I told DW I'd meet her), but three blocks down the street from there. Fortunately I had my cane with me.

Walked down, got DW, returned to ship.

So we got no info or wrong info from ship staff (re: photo ID, where shuttles went, need for hole punch, disabled key card), poor service from Dive-in and cabin steward (who had taken my card).

The today, our last full day, was more anxiety filled than it needed to be. I'll take some responsibility for not asking the right questions, but to do that you have to know which questions to ask ("OK, I only need key card to board the ship. What do I need to get on the base?")

Still, It didn't ruin my cruise.

On Westerdam they made any sandwich you wanted and put it in a George Foreman style grill. Too bad the grill wasn't hot and the Reuben came out cold...

Big mistake to stop making them. I liked the chicken salad and would hate to have a premade sandwich with that as it'd be all soggy.

I would think there would be a lot of wasted food after people saw how bad their pre-made sandwich was and threw it away and got something else. Maybe HAL will reconsider after so many comments.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I very much doubt that is the reason. Wouldn't these same people have the same poor manners when ordering anything? What it likely boils down to is cash savings.

Agree! I believe it was cost cutting., too. The pre-mades are done in the kitchen and brought up on Speed Racks and are made by kitchen staff. By eliminating the Made-to-Order they have eliminated the need to "man" the "Deli"! The COM mentioned they felt it would help eliminate lines, etc. Don't buy that one at all either! The lines are never that long, moves quickly and never appeared to be a problem anymore than the Buffet lines, etc.

There were some bad moments which I can attribute, at least in part, to actions of the staff and crew.

On Saturday, last full day, we docked in Key West. As it was our first US port everyone was required to report to immigration. For US citizens this was in the Northern Lights (in one door and out the other). As we entered, our key card was scanned. We then went to the INS agent who viewed our passports. On leaving, our key card was punched to identify us as having cleared customs. On leaving the room we were told that we would only need our key card to get off or on the ship.

We all went ashore, using our key card (security looked for the pinched hole) to exit, then boarded the trolley shuttle into town (because we were docked at the Naval Air Station pier) to the square in front of the Aquarium.

As we were leaving the shuttle, the driver noted that we would need key card and photo ID to return to the ship. Could be a problem, as DW didn't have photo ID with her.

I decided to go back early, so caught the shuttle at the aquarium. Sure enough, as we entered the NAS navy security entered the bus to check ID.

I boarded the ship and went to our cabin to get DW's ID. On opening the door I found that the old credit card I use in the electric switch was missing. So I put my room key in. Got DW's ID and texted her to let her know she would need ID, to see if there was anything else I should bring, and to see how soon she wanted to return.

While waiting, I decided to get lunch so went up to Dive-in, painstakingly order my burger, then went inside the Lido to wait. After about 20 minutes with no signal on my buzzer went back to find my meal had been ready and was just waiting for me. No idea if they tried to buzz me or if the device was working.

Down to the desk to get a new one, fairly easy since I did have photo ID with me.

Back to cabin and notice new card is not punched. So swap it with old card and go down to the gangway. Card won't scan as it was deactivated when new one issued (no one mentioned that!). Giving security my cabin # did bring up my picture, though (a tip to remember) and I get on the Conch train shuttle. Which didn't go to the aquarium (where I told DW I'd meet her), but three blocks down the street from there. Fortunately I had my cane with me.

So we got no info or wrong info from ship staff (re: photo ID, where shuttles went, need for hole punch, disabled key card), poor service from Dive-in and cabin steward (who had taken my card).

The today, our last full day, was more anxiety filled than it needed to be. I'll take some responsibility for not asking the right questions, but to do that you have to know which questions to ask ("OK, I only need key card to board the ship. What do I need to get on the base?")

All of that would definitely be aggravating. It doesnt sound like you had a good experience ordering at the Dive-In at all. Your mustard sandwich would be funny if it wasn't so ridiculous.

I've found over the years that communication on the ships, especially when it comes to things like ID requirements, is really poor. DH and I used to joke that we didnt believe something until we heard it from 3 different people. I cant remember the details anymore, but I know I had some similar incident in Quebec City...following the ship's instructions but ended up not having what I needed.

Since I'm on that same cruise itinerary next week - This is good to know. Thanks a bunch.

Edited by Happily@Sea

Entertainment is - if possible - even more subjective then food or dress. With that said, I'll dive right in.

There was also a comedian and a magician on board. Standard downbill Vegas-grade talent. Not great, not bad, fairly HAL-standard

The ship's cast - this was, by far, the biggest improvement we saw in all of the entertainment. In fact, I consider them the best HAL cast we've seen. 6 singers, six dancers all with ability, any of whom could step into a Broadway touring company tomorrow. Our last few cruises saw no more then 6-8 singer-dancers some of whom could barely perform. Singers who couldn't sing, dancers who could barely move (this might be from 8-10 years ago). On balance this - along with the handling of gluten free - were the two biggest improvements on our cruise vs our last HAL cruise 3 years ago.

Disclaimer: these are my experiences and opinions, YMMV.

It is so true about personal experiences being subjective. I was on the same cruise and thought the comedian was hilarious and the ship's cast was the worst I have ever seen! I do agree with the rest of your review, though. :)

On balance, there were improvements, diminishments and simply changes. Was I disappointed? Wit some things, yes. Did it ruin my cruise? Not at all.

Interestingly, DD and SIL (and the grandkids) had nothing bad to say. It is true that you can't miss what you never had. So it may well be that HAL's changes, calculated to attract new cruisers, may have worked much better than I thought they would. They didn't lose me & DW, but the did gain 5 folks who are already talking about their next HAL cruise (Alaska).

If there were things I didn't mention, just ask - I'm always glad to give you my opinion! :)

Dave,

Thanks for your very thorough and honest review. It is always nice to read current reviews, and read the comparisons to the older HAL. Refreshing that you note that all changes are not bad. You obviously went in with a positive attitude despite the many prior negative posts. How fortunate that you were able to share your experiences with your family.

Based on Dave's subsequent answer, I would have to say that it sounds like the Nieuw Amsterdam continued with the sandwich procedure that it followed the 39 days I was aboard shortly prior. The only way to get a "made to order" sandwich was to gather the ingredients and put one together yourself. That was hard to do since there are no slices of bread put out at lunchtime; the rolls just don't work for a sandwich.

I did ask someone in charge about this, and he confirmed that no "made to order" was the way it was going to be. :( It sure limited the late lunch options by a lot.

I am on NA now and it is as you say, pre-made sandwiches and deli meat/cheese trays and condiments to make your own. They DO however different types of sliced bread available in addition to the rolls.

For my taste, Dive-In and NY Pizza were decidedly a downgrade from the Terrace Grill I used on previous cruises. The big problem with the pizza is that it wasn't cooked enough - cracker-crisp edge and mushy middle. Once I started asking for "extra cook time" it improved but still not particularly good. My granddaughters did report that the pizza served (from bthe Kid's menu) in the MDR was "good".

Dive-in, so much bad, where to begin. First, I found the actual product to be less than that from the old Terrace Grill, both the bun and the patty. Second, I found the service to be really poor. The guy standing in front of the window taking orders and delivering orders was more often simply in the way and really should have had a better grasp of both English and his product. For example, here's one transaction I had with him

We were also on that cruise and I had no complaints;

just the weather was crappy 2 days, (grand cayman and Cozumel), but we can`t control that!

I thought the burgers at the dive-in were very good, ordered a burger and fries, buzzer went off, went and grabbed it;

The NY Pizza was fine my me; pizza was cooked fine and delicious, saw a lot of people walking around the ship with pizza boxes;

also noticed a decline in the number of people eating in the MDR; seemed more people were opting for the lido or the fast food. Maybe could have been the menu, some nights nothing on it excited us!

this was our 14th cruise on HAL and like other have stated, things have changed!

For my taste, Dive-In and NY Pizza were decidedly a downgrade from the Terrace Grill I used on previous cruises. The big problem with the pizza is that it wasn't cooked enough - cracker-crisp edge and mushy middle. Once I started asking for "extra cook time" it improved but still not particularly good. My granddaughters did report that the pizza served (from bthe Kid's menu) in the MDR was "good".

Dive-in, so much bad, where to begin. First, I found the actual product to be less than that from the old Terrace Grill, both the bun and the patty. Second, I found the service to be really poor. The guy standing in front of the window taking orders and delivering orders was more often simply in the way and really should have had a better grasp of both English and his product. For example, here's one transaction I had with him

We were also on that cruise and I had no complaints;

just the weather was crappy 2 days, (grand cayman and Cozumel), but we can`t control that!

I thought the burgers at the dive-in were very good, ordered a burger and fries, buzzer went off, went and grabbed it;

The NY Pizza was fine my me; pizza was cooked fine and delicious, saw a lot of people walking around the ship with pizza boxes;

also noticed a decline in the number of people eating in the MDR; seemed more people were opting for the lido or the fast food. Maybe could have been the menu, some nights nothing on it excited us!

this was our 14th cruise on HAL and like other have stated, things have changed!

They can't eat in the MDR if it isn't open.

Do you work for Hals public relations dept?

***? No, I just don't think every little change is the downfall of the line and an attempt to squeeze nickels until they cry. Calling things as I see them and realizing more and more why people find this board unpleasant.

I believe that the biggest challenge with HAL is inconsistency.

In all areas...service, food, maintenance, entertainment. Anywhere from very good to very poor and everything in between. It seems HAL is in a state of flux.

You never know what you will get. Have spoken to a number of TA's and this is what they are saying.

Edited by iancal

I am on NA now and it is as you say, pre-made sandwiches and deli meat/cheese trays and condiments to make your own. They DO however different types of sliced bread available in addition to the rolls.

Question: Do they have the condiments by the tray of deli meats? Also, what size is the sliced bread? When we were on her in April they had no condiments and the only sliced bread was the size of the bread in a basket in the MDR. Kind of hard to make a sandwich with it! Are the rolls a normal size as well and is this all in the same area? The Deli Meats/Chz would fly off the tray and many times the tray was almost empty or we had to wait for them to refill it from the kitchen.

Thanks! We'll be on her in January for a Family cruise that was planned long before the elimination of the Deli. The problem we found with the Pre-Mades (besides the fact that people were poking their fingers in the opening of the sleeve they were in, picking them up and squeezing them, putting them back, etc.) was that if anyone had any type of Dietary Restriction or allergic to something (example: tomatoes), the Pre-Mades were not an option. Every sandwich had tomatoes on them and with allergies you just can't take the tomato off and it's fine.

The other problem we find with the Pre-Mades there is no rotation system on them nor are they refrigerated. They bring them up before Lido opens and depending on what time you take one it could be sitting there for many hours and they have dressing on them.

Given the choice between a "custom made sandwich" and the ability to create my own - with a variety of breads and rolls and as much or as little meat cheese and condiments that I want - I prefer the latter!

***? No, I just don't think every little change is the downfall of the line and an attempt to squeeze nickels until they cry. Calling things as I see them and realizing more and more why people find this board unpleasant.

Why are you getting so upset. Your comment doesn't make sense. Can't I call things as I see them?

Question: Do they have the condiments by the tray of deli meats? Also, what size is the sliced bread? When we were on her in April they had no condiments and the only sliced bread was the size of the bread in a basket in the MDR. Kind of hard to make a sandwich with it! Are the rolls a normal size as well and is this all in the same area? The Deli Meats/Chz would fly off the tray and many times the tray was almost empty or we had to wait for them to refill it from the kitchen.

Thanks! We'll be on her in January for a Family cruise that was planned long before the elimination of the Deli. The problem we found with the Pre-Mades (besides the fact that people were poking their fingers in the opening of the sleeve they were in, picking them up and squeezing them, putting them back, etc.) was that if anyone had any type of Dietary Restriction or allergic to something (example: tomatoes), the Pre-Mades were not an option. Every sandwich had tomatoes on them and with allergies you just can't take the tomato off and it's fine.

The other problem we find with the Pre-Mades there is no rotation system on them nor are they refrigerated. They bring them up before Lido opens and depending on what time you take one it could be sitting there for many hours and they have dressing on them.

I have the same concerns as you about the temperature. I was told by many posters that there is no need to worry about it:rolleyes:.

Yes, I raised that issue here before and got thoroughly slammed for it, with even comparisons to when we used to take sandwiches to school. Um, sorry, not wanting that same quality.:D

Do you work for Hals public relations dept?

Why are you getting so upset. Your comment doesn't make sense. Can't I call things as I see them?

hmmm - calling things as you see them and asking the question above are a horse of a different colour IMO.

Zeta's reply is totally understandable IMO

Given the choice between a "custom made sandwich" and the ability to create my own - with a variety of breads and rolls and as much or as little meat cheese and condiments that I want - I prefer the latter!

I like their custom made sandwiches as they add whatever you want - no problem. And I like them grilled.

But, if I have to, I can make my own too. It just might be tricky as they won't have as many things out as the sandwich board does I don't think.

At the DWTS final, they couldn't locate the trophy momentarily. One staff member said to another (not knowing her mic was on) "more budget cuts!"

And your original theory (lower carbs, etc) only makes sense if they eliminate bread, but there are still the pre-made sandwiches, aren't there? In fact, the entire menu - morning, noon and night, all venues - is decidely carb heavy...