Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam after 3 years away from HAL. How bad has it gotten?

dakrewser

This post is for the gloomy Guses predicting the downfall of HAL. Later posts will be about specific things (MDR, Dress code, entertainment, staffing, etc.), this is just over all impression.

In the weeks leading up to this cruise we seemingly heard nothing but negatives from CC posters. So much so that I worried if I'd done the right thing in choosing this cruise for the first cruise by my DD her husband and our 3 Grandkids (12, 9 and 5). So it was with a sense of trepidation that we headed to Port Everglades on Sunday, Nov. 29.

So, for all the naysayers - pffft!

We had an excellent cruise. Yes, there were many changes in the 3 years we'd been away from HAL. But there were more changes for the good rather than the bad - and most were simply changes.

Yes, things have changed considerably in the 20 years we've been cruising with HAL and yes, on balance, there are more things we miss - but for my DD, SIL and grandkids - they had no experience to compare to, and they all enjoyed themselves so much - and so much more than they expected to - that there was serious talk of staying on board for this week's eastern Caribbean run!

More specifics in later posts.

Note: I would have posted from the ship if I hadn't forgotten the power cable for my laptop! Nevertheless, internet was better than I remember ($249 for unlimited, single login) from MTN so the new system should be great when it's finally installed.

Embarkation

Check-in was, as almost always in Port Everglades, very smooth. There was one glitch, when my grandson's key card wasn't in the onboarding packet, but that was quickly remedied by the check-in staff and we were boarded about 20-25 minutes after entering the terminal (at approx. 11:40).

Photo staff gave us no problem with skipping the getting-on-board photo (seriously, folks, have you really looked at yourselves when first getting on? Hair, face, etc. scary pictures).

Biggest surprise, though, was that our luggage was waiting for us in our cabin! First time ever the bags got there before we did.

All-in-all, embarkation was a big improvement over previous experience.

I don't understand this but there seem to be a number of people on this forum who have stopped cruising HAL but seem to go on endlessly complaining about how bad it is. That really baffles me. I've had a few negative cruise experiences and I rarely if ever post on those forums. Just seems to me a big waste of time.

Glad you went with your eyes open and didn't let the naysayers ruin your cruise.

Roy

Not sure why you say everyone is negative on CC. I can only think of 3 posters that don't seem to like anything on Hal and just come by to do a drive by shooting :D. Then, you have the Hal can do nothing wrong crowd and those that tell it like it is. I'd personally like to hear the good and bad. I apprecite you taking the time to do a review. It's good to see Hal thru someone's eyes that hasn't been on a Hal cruise for a while. Thx.

WE booked side-by-side V verandah cabins. Within 15 minutes of boarding Abdul, our cabin steward, had the balcony divider opened and secured. It stayed that way all cruise. DW & grandson and I in one, DD, her hubby and two girls in the other. WE each kept the balcony door to the cabin unlocked the whole time so we could move back and forth without having to go into the passageway. Worked very well. Especially on Cozumel day where it was just the 5YO and I on board and there was an "accident" in Club HAL for which she needed a change of clothes.

Service was good, but took much longer than previous cruises. Most likely due to an increased number of cabins for the housekeeping staff. I estimate that our stewards had about 30 cabins to do. They'd make a "sweep" in the AM, and if you weren't out of your cabin it wouldn't be serviced until another sweep was down in the afternoon. A final, late afternoon sweep got the few remaining cabins.

Plumbing & HVAC were no problem whatsoever. There was a planned water outage one night (announced as 1 am to 5 am, but over sooner) while maintenance was done but otherwise things were fine. Water pressure seemed better than I remember. A/C had no trouble keeping our room very cool (~65-68) even in the tropical climate.

Fruit basket was filled promptly and replenished daily.

I did have to chase down Abdul for laundry bags (we always do unlimited laundry - best deal on the sea) but that's no different than any other HAL cruise we've done.

Beds were comfortable and storage space was fine - don't know if that's a design change for the Signature class ships or we've just learned to pack better.

There were twice as many electrical outlets as we've had previously - two North American and two European, yay! But they were mounted next to each other over the desk, boo.

Disclaimer: these are my experiences and opinions, YMMV.

Thanks for the sitrep Dave! Nice to hear you and your family had a good time on NADM! Stand by to be called a "HAL cheerleader" now ;) Sorry, I couldn't get you the HAM radio equipment and usage info in time for your cruise. I will send you an email with it

Thanks for the sitrep Dave! Nice to hear you and your family had a good time on NADM! Stand by to be called a "HAL cheerleader" now ;) Sorry, I couldn't get you the HAM radio equipment and usage info in time for your cruise. I will send you an email with it

Thanks John. I'll have to say I don't think he missed it as there was so much to do around the ship.

But next time, on a longer cruise, he'll be thinking about it again!

Edited by dakrewser

Muster Drill

We really like not having to wear life jackets to the muster drill. As one crew member explained to me, musters are rare, and musters with a chance of abandoning ship are even rarer. No need to make everyone uncomfortable.

Almost missed sail-away, though, as the captain started pushing off from the pier before everyone had cleared the deck from the drill. After our port days, we learned that the Capt. liked to make a fast getaway. As soon as everyone was on board, we pushed off. Once, even, a half-hour early (I think that was Cozumel).

For the most part passengers reported on time, only two cabins needed to be paged more than once.

All in all, I feel the "changes" here were for the better.

The Lido.

Lunch on embarkation was being served in the MDR (we saw them as we boarded) but not sure if it was Mariners only or a special group entertained by HAL as we didn't check. Instead we headed to the Lido for lunch. We also breakfasted there each morning (DD, SIL and grandkids did eat breakfast in MDR one morning) and frequently ate lunch there.

First thing I noticed was that the only sandwiches were pre-made. Only one sandwich, throught the week (and I checked most days) was something I would choose (because of bread or filling or condiments), a so-called "turkey club". Two slices of very soft wheat bread with a thin slice of turkey, thin tomato, tiny leaf of lettuce and a strip of bacon. The filling to bread ration was so small that I really should have gotten two and discarded two pieces of bread then combined the fillings. This is a definite negative change.

The gluten free offerings had multiplied many times over - and DW and DD were "pleased as punch". Breads, muffins, cereals (at breakfast) and pasta & noodles at lunch were a vast improvement over previous cruises.

The "Full English" station was an added plus - if you like beans, tomatoes, mushrooms and "sauce" for your breakfast as was the Asian breakfast station (with miso and other Japanese offerings my son-in-law loves).

I liked that they now make to order fried eggs, french toast, and pancakes - a big improvement. My 12YO grandson haunted the omelet station, trying every possible combination.

Service was quick, and tables seemed more numerous than I remember. Finding a table for 1, 2, 4 or 7 was never a problem.

I did miss the carved fruit and bread which used to decorate the serving lines. Sad to see that go (along with ice sculptures in the MDR) but not a deal breaker.

There was a musician playing the "steel pans" at the pool area each lunchtime. Very pleasant.

Beverage service (i.e., the bar) was sometimes very good, sometimes non-existent. Never could figure out why. But there was both a Bloody Mary and a Mimosa cart roaming the room every morning at breakfast.

A mixed bag, but overall I'd say the cuts and improvements were a wash.

Welcome home and glad to see your balanced and positive comments.

We were on OOSTERDAM last month after a two year hiatus from HAL with Celebrity and had concerns based on a lot of the negativity here. Like you, we found it to be fine overall, and in some aspects improved.

Looking forward to NA the end of January.

Great reports so far. Sad that you only recall negative reports here as there have been many good ones including our fabulous Sailaway live thread from the Westerdam. Very happy that you all had a good time.

Edited by Lizzie68

We also departed the NA yesterday after two glorious weeks. Weather wasn't the greatest on the western portion of the trip, but we had a wonderful time. As always, the staff are terrific and can't do enough for you. We thought the ship was in very good shape. This was our third cruise on the NA.

Welcome home Dave and family!!

Glad that you and your family enjoyed the cruise.

Looking forward to reading more of your review. And as stated by Cruz Chic and Krazy Kruizers, I also like to read balanced reviews, both good and bad:)

Joanie

enjoying your reports and looking forward to more.

I do not know why some ex HAL cruisers persist on reporting negative posts, but the best thing is to ignore them and pay attention to those that are cruising and have cruised - like you:)

looking forward to more :)

Edited by kazu

Enjoyed reading your review and happy to hear you and Fsmily enjoyed your Cruise!

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam on the first sailing when they eliminated the Made-to-Order sandwiches. We had a wonderful Cruise and totally agree that this is a big negative change. Please note that on your comment survey because we were told by the COM that it will be rolled out Fleet wide when Ships come out of Drydocks.

Looking forward to reading more of your review! :)

Edited by idiebabe

Thank you for posting! So glad you enjoyed your cruise. We loved our time in the NA this past Sept and can't wait until we get back on next Sept for Alaska (hoping to squeeze a Carribbean cruise in before then!). We loved our cruise, the food and the staff!

... Sad that you only recall negative reports here as there have been many good ones including our fabulous Sailaway live thread from the Westerdam. Very happy that you all had a good time.

As good as the CC reviews on the Westerdam may have been, they are not relevant to the negativity issue that OP raised, since he was referring to reviews in the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Thank you for commenting about your N.A. cruise.

We were aboard Noordam October 25th until November 8th, pre-made sandwiches were available, but were also able to have sandwiches made to order and grilled as on previous cruises.

As good as the CC reviews on the Westerdam may have been, they are not relevant to the negativity issue that OP raised, since he was referring to reviews in the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Actually, the OP said:

In the weeks leading up to this cruise we seemingly heard nothing but negatives from CC posters.

and did not specify the Nieuw Amsterdam. I believe, as others did, that he was referring to HAL cruise ships in general.

Actually, the OP said:

In the weeks leading up to this cruise we seemingly heard nothing but negatives from CC posters.

and did not specify the Nieuw Amsterdam. I believe, as others did, that he was referring to HAL cruise ships in general.

Correct.